Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-05-2006, 06:15 PM   #1
TheGreatest
Can barely lace up my sneakers

TheGreatest has no real reputation yet.
Default Weight Lifting Questions

I recently got me a membership at a local gym, I know absolutely nothing on nutritions, what to eat, what to avoid and all the basic stuff like that. My questions are what food should be avoided, what to eat before weighttraining and after? What do you recommend? I'm not trying to get big, just cut.
TheGreatest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 06:36 PM   #2
theinfamousmobb
Local High School Star

theinfamousmobb has an OK reputation so far

Avoid any fast food crap, best to eat 2 hours before you workout and immediatly after the workout get a good source of protein, your best bet would be a protein shake.
theinfamousmobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 07:12 PM   #3
funkylikemonkey
Football In The Groin

funkylikemonkey has an OK reputation so far

If you want to bulk up, eat like you've never eaten before. You're going to have to eat a lot of calories, but not empty calories like fast food. If your going to be eating bread stuff stick to whole grain. Diet is one of the biggest parts to getting big. I also recommend you take a good multi vitamin in the morning.
funkylikemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 07:42 PM   #4
TheGreatest
Can barely lace up my sneakers

TheGreatest has no real reputation yet.

How do I find out what food is empty calories and what is not empty calories? I'm gonna go to the store in a bit, any recommended protein shake brand?
TheGreatest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 08:40 PM   #5
AIR SETH
Local High School Star

AIR SETH has decent reputation

Before a Work Out or Run you want a High Carbohydrate, Low Fat, and moderate protein meal along with decent hydration. You should wait 2 to 3 hours before the work out or run and after you want a high carbohydrate, high protein meal. You also want to drink fluids to replace the fluids you lost during. Drinking water during is also a good idea.

This is personally what I do so don't take it as the number 1 way to go. Find something that works for you, this was to give you an idea.
AIR SETH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 08:46 PM   #6
Bosh4life
Local High School Star

Bosh4life has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
This is personally what I do so don't take it as the number 1 way to go. Find something that works for you, this was to give you an idea.

Ahahaha, you work out, that's pathetic.
Bosh4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 10:25 PM   #7
SecondFiddle
Local High School Star

SecondFiddle has not been impressing people

Eat lots of cranberries and drink lots of water.
Don't wear tight fitting clothing people will think your gay
Eat some red meat raw.....bluh.....bluh......bluh
Do some speed.....bluh.....bluh
Stay away from Wendy's Biggie Fries.
SecondFiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 10:45 PM   #8
InLebronWeTrust
High School Varsity 12th Man

InLebronWeTrust has decent reputation

eat a shyt load of reese cups and swallow it down with some bud light.. before and after lifting.. Also, try eating lucky charms frequently. Preferably, 9 cups a day.
InLebronWeTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 10:50 PM   #9
SecondFiddle
Local High School Star

SecondFiddle has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLebronWeTrust
eat a shyt load of reese cups and swallow it down with some bud light.. before and after lifting.. Also, try eating lucky charms frequently. Preferably, 9 cups a day.

Great advice, Do totally forgot about the lucky charms diet.
SecondFiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 11:13 PM   #10
HoustonRockets87
High School Starter

HoustonRockets87 has an OK reputation so far

here are some suggestions:

1) Make sure as you are starting out that you learn proper form on every excercise. This will help you in the long run. When I started out when I was younger I didn't know what the hell I was doing and it was a pain in the ass correcting my mistakes down the road. Make sure you focus on the main, compound lifts (bench press, squats, deadlifts, military press, etc....).

2) Make sure that you get on a good routine. Most of the beginner's don't know what they are doing. Read this article on beginner mistakes called smart from the start- http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=674008
I would personally recommend that you start out with a full body routine, consisting of 3 workouts per week, focusing on compound lifts. Something like this to start out:

Day 1
Squats- 3 sets
Leg Curls- 3 sets
Bench Press- 3 sets
Dumbbell Shoulder Press- 3 sets
Lat Pulldowns- 3 sets
Dips (assisted if you can't do regular ones)- 2 sets

Day 2-
Deadlifts- 2-3 sets
Lunges- 2 sets
Incline Bench Press- 3 sets
Side Laterals- 3 sets
Seated Cable Rows- 3 sets
Skullcrushers- 2 sets
Barbell Curls- 2 sets

Day 3-
Leg Press- 3 sets
Calf Raises- 2 sets
Close-Grip Bench Press- 3 sets
Rear Laterals- 2 sets
Chest Supported Machine Rows- 3 sets
Tricep Pushdowns- 3 sets
Hammer Curls- 3 sets

3) Nutrition- If you want to bulk up make sure that you eat a ton! Make sure it is healthy food. Try to eat atleast every 3 hours. Each meal should consist of a healthy source or protein and a source of carbs. Make sure that you eat a healthy breakfast (ex. eggs, oatmeal, fruit, milk) and that you get a slow digesting form of protein in you before you go to bed (cassein which is found in milk. Drinking a big glass of milk will do the trick).
Pre and post workout nutrition is also very very very imporant. Check this out pertaining that- http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=272067

4) Supplements- You should definetly buy whey protein. I would recommend Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Protein or Cytosport Complete Whey. They both are quality supplements and are pretty cheap. I'd also recommend buying them online because it's cheaper. Also make sure you are taking a multivitamin and fish oil. If you are really serious about working out and want to spend some extra money I'd recommend taking creatine (specifically Higher Power CEE powder because it's cheap) and BCAA powder (SciFit's or 1fast400's).
HoustonRockets87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 11:36 PM   #11
abuC
Cuba

abuC is a pretty well-respected posterabuC is a pretty well-respected posterabuC is a pretty well-respected poster

Just workout like they do in prison with mostly body weight & gravity, you'll have a lot more functional strength from pushups, dips, pullups etc than from lifting weights.
abuC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 11:43 PM   #12
HoustonRockets87
High School Starter

HoustonRockets87 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by abuC
Just workout like they do in prison with mostly body weight & gravity, you'll have a lot more functional strength from pushups, dips, pullups etc than from lifting weights.
not really. you'll just have better endurance. it gets to a point where doing 100 pushups won't make you stronger it just will give you better endurance. you gotta add weight. if only bodyweight stuff was the way to go then youd thinmk all the pro athletes would stop lifting. pullups and dips are great, but they do great with other excercises and it gets to a point where if you want to get stronger the best way to go is by doing weighted pullups and dips.

what do you mean by functional strength? are being able to do a lot of pushups more "functional" then being able to bench press 300+ pounds? ive seen skinny kids that can do a ****load of pushups that can't bench press more than 100 pounds.

Last edited by HoustonRockets87 : 07-05-2006 at 11:55 PM.
HoustonRockets87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 03:06 AM   #13
InLebronWeTrust
High School Varsity 12th Man

InLebronWeTrust has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRockets87
here are some suggestions:

1) Make sure as you are starting out that you learn proper form on every excercise. This will help you in the long run. When I started out when I was younger I didn't know what the hell I was doing and it was a pain in the ass correcting my mistakes down the road. Make sure you focus on the main, compound lifts (bench press, squats, deadlifts, military press, etc....).

2) Make sure that you get on a good routine. Most of the beginner's don't know what they are doing. Read this article on beginner mistakes called smart from the start- http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=674008
I would personally recommend that you start out with a full body routine, consisting of 3 workouts per week, focusing on compound lifts. Something like this to start out:

Day 1
Squats- 3 sets
Leg Curls- 3 sets
Bench Press- 3 sets
Dumbbell Shoulder Press- 3 sets
Lat Pulldowns- 3 sets
Dips (assisted if you can't do regular ones)- 2 sets

Day 2-
Deadlifts- 2-3 sets
Lunges- 2 sets
Incline Bench Press- 3 sets
Side Laterals- 3 sets
Seated Cable Rows- 3 sets
Skullcrushers- 2 sets
Barbell Curls- 2 sets

Day 3-
Leg Press- 3 sets
Calf Raises- 2 sets
Close-Grip Bench Press- 3 sets
Rear Laterals- 2 sets
Chest Supported Machine Rows- 3 sets
Tricep Pushdowns- 3 sets
Hammer Curls- 3 sets

3) Nutrition- If you want to bulk up make sure that you eat a ton! Make sure it is healthy food. Try to eat atleast every 3 hours. Each meal should consist of a healthy source or protein and a source of carbs. Make sure that you eat a healthy breakfast (ex. eggs, oatmeal, fruit, milk) and that you get a slow digesting form of protein in you before you go to bed (cassein which is found in milk. Drinking a big glass of milk will do the trick).
Pre and post workout nutrition is also very very very imporant. Check this out pertaining that- http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=272067

4) Supplements- You should definetly buy whey protein. I would recommend Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Protein or Cytosport Complete Whey. They both are quality supplements and are pretty cheap. I'd also recommend buying them online because it's cheaper. Also make sure you are taking a multivitamin and fish oil. If you are really serious about working out and want to spend some extra money I'd recommend taking creatine (specifically Higher Power CEE powder because it's cheap) and BCAA powder (SciFit's or 1fast400's).

Shyt dude he wanted some advice, not a physical trainer. But it's all true but SHIZA!
InLebronWeTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 03:22 AM   #14
Big_D_62
I brick open layups

Big_D_62 has an OK reputation so far

well if you just wanna get cut do alot of reps of less weight. If you want to bulk up try to max out as much as you can for example i played football and did maxes of:

bench press:250 lbs
squat:475 lbs
leg press:450 lbs
curls: 150 lbs

but to get cut id say anything under 100lbs is good as for diet i dont really have one except work out more than you eat
Big_D_62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 10:51 PM   #15
abuC
Cuba

abuC is a pretty well-respected posterabuC is a pretty well-respected posterabuC is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRockets87
not really. you'll just have better endurance. it gets to a point where doing 100 pushups won't make you stronger it just will give you better endurance. you gotta add weight. if only bodyweight stuff was the way to go then youd thinmk all the pro athletes would stop lifting. pullups and dips are great, but they do great with other excercises and it gets to a point where if you want to get stronger the best way to go is by doing weighted pullups and dips.

what do you mean by functional strength? are being able to do a lot of pushups more "functional" then being able to bench press 300+ pounds? ive seen skinny kids that can do a ****load of pushups that can't bench press more than 100 pounds.

No, you can increase mass through pushups and body weight training. Pro athletes do use body weight only, boxers rarely use weight lifting in their routines, Male gymnasts who I feel are some of the best athletes in the world use body weight training exclusively, and the best fighter in the world Fedor Emelianenko gave up weight lifting in 1999, he only does pullups, pushups and parallel bars.

And I've seen hulking mass of humans who can bench 345lbs, but cant even do 20 pullups. Functional strength, most professional fighters do not have the bench press in their routine. If you want symmetry and to look big, go on and hit the weights hard, if you want to have actual strength you can use, body weight training is the way to go.

I've done both, and I stick mostly with body weight training now, the only weights I use are dumbells for flyes, everything else is body weight.
abuC is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: