Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-26-2016, 08:55 AM   #1
UK2K
NBA Legend

Default From He to She in First Grade

Thoughts on turning your 6 year old boy into a girl?

This is that razor thing 'inclusive' thought or....

It's borderline child abuse.

Quote:
When our son turned 6, my husband and I bought him a puppet theater and a chest of dress-up clothes because he liked to put on plays. We filled the chest with 20 items from Goodwill, mostly grown-man attire: ties, button-down shirts, a gray pageboy cap and a suit vest.

But we didn’t want his or his castmates’ creative output to be curtailed by a lack of costume choices, so we also included high heels, a pink straw hat, a dazzling fairy skirt and a sparkly green halter dress.

He was thrilled with these presents. He put on the sparkly green dress right away. In a sense, he never really took it off.

For a while, he wore the dress only when we were at home, and only when we were alone. He would change back into shorts and a T-shirt if we were running errands or had people coming over.

Then we would come home or our guests would leave, and he would change back to the sparkly green dress, asking me to tie the halter behind his neck and the sash around his waist.

Eventually he stopped changing out of it. He wore it to the grocery store and when he had friends over. He wore it to the park and the lake. He wore shorts for camp and trunks for swimming, but otherwise he was mostly in the dress.

My husband and I were never of the opinion that girls should not wear pants or climb trees or get dirty, or that boys should not have long hair or play with dolls or like pink, so the dress did not cause us undue alarm or worry. But school was about to start, and we found ourselves at a crossroads.

Quote:
When he woke up on that last day of summer vacation, the first thing he said was that he wanted to wear skirts and dresses to first grade.

“O.K.,” I said, stalling for time, as my brain flooded with all the concerns I hadn’t yet voiced. “What do you think other kids will say tomorrow if you wear a dress to school?”

“They’ll say, ‘Are you a boy or a girl?’” he replied. “They’ll say: ‘You can’t wear that. Boys don’t wear dresses.’ They’ll say, ‘Ha, ha, ha, you’re so stupid.’”

This seemed about right to me. “And how will that make you feel?” I asked.

He shrugged and said he didn’t know. But he did know, with certainty, what he wanted to wear to school the next day, even as he also seemed to know what that choice may cost him.

Quote:
I tucked him in and kissed him good night. I asked, again, what the matter was. I asked, again, what I could do. I told him I couldn’t help if he wouldn’t talk to me. Finally I whispered, “You don’t have to keep wearing skirts and dresses to school, you know. If kids are being mean, if it feels weird, you can absolutely go back to shorts and T-shirts.”

He snapped out of it immediately, sitting up, his face clearing, his eyes drying and brightening. “No, Mama,” he chided. I wish I could say that he did so sweetly, but his tone was more like, Don’t be an idiot. “I already decided about that,” he said. “I never think about that anymore.”

It had been three days.

But it was also true. He had already decided. He didn’t think about that anymore. And he — she — never looked back. She grew out her hair. She stopped telling people she was a boy in a skirt and started being a girl in a skirt instead.

And we, as a family, decided to be open and honest about it, too, celebrating her story instead of hiding it.

Two years later, our daughter still sometimes wears the green dress, for dress-up and to put on plays, as we imagined her doing in the first place. Now that she can be who she is on the inside and on the outside, on weekdays as well as on weekends, at home and everywhere else, the sparkly green dress has once again become just a costume.
UK2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 09:52 AM   #2
nathanjizzle
Trumptard Persecutor

Default Re: From He to She in First Grade

seems like youre being judgmental. nothing about that says child abuse. please provide more insight on how the child was manipulated into believing he was a she? from the story it seems the child made its own decision naturally. i didnt know you had to be an adult to be gay. teens often know they are gay. and in some cases, kids that havent hit there teens know they are gay.

i think what you are trying to force is the idea that parents should make there kids straight until adulthood? because 18 is the governments standard for a person mature enough to make conscious decisions. so that means teenagers cant come out as gay correct? or it would be considered child abuse on the parents part, correct?

Last edited by nathanjizzle : 09-26-2016 at 09:56 AM.
nathanjizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 09:53 AM   #3
9erempiree
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanjizzle
seems like youre being judgmental. nothing about that says child abuse. please provide more insight on how the child was manipulated into believing he was a she? from the story it seems the child made its own decision naturally. i didnt know you had to be an adult to be gay.

Clueless.
9erempiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 10:01 AM   #4
CeltsGarlic
Gesaffelstain Fan

I remember when I was 5-6 maybe less, we did a play and I dressed up stupid as I could and there was a wig, like purple or some flamboyant color and my mom didnt want me to wear and I remember thinking like "wtf Im not homo" or something like that.
CeltsGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 10:03 AM   #5
nathanjizzle
Trumptard Persecutor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeltsGarlic
I remember when I was 5-6 maybe less, we did a play and I dressed up stupid as I could and there was a wig, like purple or some flamboyant color and my mom didnt want me to wear and I remember thinking like "wtf Im not homo" or something like that.

thats a good mom, she saved you from being gay.
nathanjizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 10:05 AM   #6
9erempiree
Banned

Also, I don't know why doctors are not charged with malpractice when they start mutilating a person's genitalia.
9erempiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 10:10 AM   #7
Back In Shape
High School Varsity 6th Man

Meh, if the kid is gay and/or feels like a girl, then they are doing the right thing. Even if the parents are wrong, they are guilty of caring too much. The biggest victim is the kid. Much less worse than raising a kid with no father who goes on to become a criminal, or using the kid to suck up taxpayer funded entitlements.
Back In Shape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 10:20 AM   #8
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

If there was no operation and hormone treatment then who cares.

I'm sure the kid was born gay, pretty common.

Stuff like this is only questionable if they are removing the kids stuff.
~primetime~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 10:35 AM   #9
Hawker
Repeal FATCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~primetime~
If there was no operation and hormone treatment then who cares.

I'm sure the kid was born gay, pretty common.

Stuff like this is only questionable if they are removing the kids stuff.

Agreed.

Let people go through puberty at least before they start ****ing with their body.
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 11:04 AM   #10
UK2K
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanjizzle
seems like youre being judgmental. nothing about that says child abuse. please provide more insight on how the child was manipulated into believing he was a she? from the story it seems the child made its own decision naturally. i didnt know you had to be an adult to be gay. teens often know they are gay. and in some cases, kids that havent hit there teens know they are gay.

i think what you are trying to force is the idea that parents should make there kids straight until adulthood? because 18 is the governments standard for a person mature enough to make conscious decisions. so that means teenagers cant come out as gay correct? or it would be considered child abuse on the parents part, correct?

The story written by the kid's mom, yes?

Jared Fogle be writing articles about 'the girl's said they liked it'.

nathanjizzle = 'well the article says they liked it'
Old 09-26-2016, 11:06 AM   #11
UK2K
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In Shape
Meh, if the kid is gay and/or feels like a girl, then they are doing the right thing. Even if the parents are wrong, they are guilty of caring too much. The biggest victim is the kid. Much less worse than raising a kid with no father who goes on to become a criminal, or using the kid to suck up taxpayer funded entitlements.

At 6?

If the kid felt like a walrus, would you allow them to jump in the ocean? What if they decide to be a nudist? You support that too? Or no? Where's the line you draw?

They're six years old, they don't know what gay and straight even means.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:18 AM   #12
Back In Shape
High School Varsity 6th Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK2K
At 6?

If the kid felt like a walrus, would you allow them to jump in the ocean? What if they decide to be a nudist? You support that too? Or no? Where's the line you draw?

They're six years old, they don't know what gay and straight even means.

At the end of the day, it's their kid and it doesn't really affect anyone else. I wouldn't do it, you wouldn't do it, but these parents feel it's best for their kid. Like I said, there are so many other things that people do with their kids that screw them up, and society accepts as the norm, that not only affect the child but society as well, to worry about. IMO, raising a child without an involved father is worse than this. Raising a kid on entitlements is worse than this. Raising a kid who watches you take mood enhancing drugs, whether legal, illegal, prescription, medicinal, whatever, is worse than this. Raising your kid in a fanatical, fundamentalist religion is worse than this.

We should mind our own business and not be triggered by what other people do with their kids, unless it affects us.
Back In Shape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 11:28 AM   #13
UK2K
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In Shape
At the end of the day, it's their kid and it doesn't really affect anyone else. I wouldn't do it, you wouldn't do it, but these parents feel it's best for their kid. Like I said, there are so many other things that people do with their kids that screw them up, and society accepts as the norm, that not only affect the child but society as well, to worry about. IMO, raising a child without an involved father is worse than this. Raising a kid on entitlements is worse than this. Raising a kid who watches you take mood enhancing drugs, whether legal, illegal, prescription, medicinal, whatever, is worse than this. Raising your kid in a fanatical, fundamentalist religion is worse than this.

We should mind our own business and not be triggered by what other people do with their kids, unless it affects us.

Right, so at what point does it go from 'their kid' to illegal?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...g-medical-help

That's also their kid and we should mind our business, which is how it ended up on the front page of the Guardian.
Old 09-26-2016, 12:23 PM   #14
Patrick Chewing
O.G. Shot Caller

People who want to change their gender have a mental disorder.
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 12:30 PM   #15
UK2K
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
People who want to change their gender have a mental disorder.
Already been established long ago...
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: