Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Utah Jazz Forum

Utah Jazz Forum Utah Jazz forum - Utah Jazz message board

Old 09-26-2016, 11:15 PM   #1
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default 2016 pre-season!

here we go finally!
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 11:17 PM   #2
Xiao Yao You

Default Re: 2016 pre-season!

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/4400471...y-knows-i-want

Quote:
Gobert believes the strength he added to his frame will make him a greater threat on the offensive glass.

"Basketball is a pretty simple game … especially for me at seven feet," he said. "Just be able to finish pretty much anywhere around the rim."

And the center believes his steady work on his jump shot will begin to show dividends soon.

Sounding confident. I think that is the main thing missing for him offensively. I think once he has that it will all start to click for him
Old 09-26-2016, 11:23 PM   #3
Xiao Yao You

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/4400326...-surround-jazz

Quote:
Guys have to remember that winning and the team are paramount. There are going to be a lot of factors that go into lineups and matchups. Our group understands that."

we'll see!
Old 09-26-2016, 11:34 PM   #4
Xiao Yao You

http://saltcityhoops.com/staff-scrimmage-camp-kick-off/

Quote:
The wing rotation feels clear (Hill, Hood and Hayward start, backed up by Exum, Burks and Johnson,)

Considering how good Mack and to a lesser extent Neto were I don't see it being that clear.

Quote:
but the big rotation much less so. Assuredly Derrick Favors and Gobert will start, but will Quin Snyder pull one relatively early to stretch the floor and ensure one of them is always playing?

I'd guess he won;t worry about it as much as last year but it depends on how the reserves play together. Booker/Lyles sucked together!

Quote:
Will Lyles play see 20-25 minutes as third big, or will Boris Diaw, um, eat into them? Is Jeff Withey (who advanced stats loved last year) assured a spot as the fourth big who anchors the second unit defense?

Withey won't play! Deal him!

Quote:
Imagine if Jeff Withey came out with his usual impressive defense and was hitting consistent mid-range jumpers.

hit them last year better than any big not named Lyles
Old 09-26-2016, 11:38 PM   #5
Xiao Yao You

http://purpleandblues.com/2016/09/26...ay-trey-lyles/

Quote:
According to Lyles, a primary objective this summer has been to change his body. In addition to his skill work, the second-year pro has been swimming and working extensively with weights. He has also assembled a close-knit team of experts to help him along the way.

Good! He certainly needed to at least get toned.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:39 PM   #6
Xiao Yao You

http://purpleandblues.com/2016/09/26...-corner-three/

That could be huge!
Old 09-26-2016, 11:50 PM   #7
Xiao Yao You

http://purpleandblues.com/2016/09/26...ay-dante-exum/

Quote:
“I added a bit of weight this year. Even last season, before I got injured, I added a bit of weight and was learning to start to use that.”

you were fat and I'd guess it contributed to your injuries
Old 09-26-2016, 11:53 PM   #8
Xiao Yao You

http://purpleandblues.com/2016/09/26...y-rodney-hood/

Quote:
While Hood considers himself equal to the challenge and is coming off a summer in which he worked hard on his game with teammate Shelvin Mack in Atlanta

That's interesting. He didn't play well with Mack last year and they could be fighting for time ultimately

Quote:
“Got to get to the free throw line this year,” he said. “Some of my teammates don’t like it right now, but guys do it to us. Just trying to get to the free throw line; make the game easier for my team and myself.”

that would be big
Old 09-26-2016, 11:58 PM   #9
Xiao Yao You

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=41633895&nid...jazz-media-day

Quote:
He's 6-6, long, his shot has started to develop a lot now, he can get to the basket, very good court vision.

encouraging

Quote:
Hood, by the way, is excited to have Johnson around. "It's a great feeling to have that mentor type of guy that I haven't had for my first couple years," Hood said.

Who needs mentors when you can have all young guys!

Quote:
Shelvin Mack, too, raved about the example of Johnson. Hood, Mack and Johnson all worked out together in Atlanta during the summer, where they saw firsthand the effort it requires from Johnson to stay strong going into his 16th year in the NBA.

Maybe Shelvin can actually play with these guys after all?
Old 09-27-2016, 07:43 PM   #10
Xiao Yao You

Quote:
Jody Genessy: Jazz coach Quin Snyder said it’s unclear whether Alec Burks will play during the preseason. He’s still rehabbing from offseason surgery. – via DJJazzyJody

Aaron Falk: The Jazz didn’t make this official, but it doesn’t sound like he’s going to be available, at least for the preseason. He’s not doing contact yet, and obviously can’t play until he clears that hurdle. – via tribjazz

all the moves make more sense if Alec isn't ready. Exum?
Old 09-28-2016, 12:57 AM   #11
Xiao Yao You

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=41643255&nid...first-practice

Quote:
"I got in the paint multiple times this session during the scrimmages. The biggest thing for me once I get in the paint is trying to finish. And once I get back down and get back up."

And when he does stay out on the perimeter, he says he's a much better shooter than before the injury. "Oh yeah. 100 percent."

Quote:
With so many quality players competing for minutes, though, "I'm going to make a bad decision, and hopefully I'll make as little of them as I can."

After the Withey debacle I'm worried.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:04 AM   #12
Xiao Yao You

http://*********.com/2016/09/06/nba-...iew-utah-jazz/

Quote:
How much can Dante Exum bring to the table after one year sidelined due to injury? … Some questions about the durability of Favors and Gobert, who have missed a combined 94 games the last three years.

Dante is the biggest question for sure.

Gobert didn't miss games because of injury until last year. His rookie year he sucked!
Old 09-28-2016, 01:27 AM   #13
Xiao Yao You

http://saltcityhoops.com/staff-scrim...ation-guesses/

Quote:
The Jazz definitely want it to be Lyles, but I think there’s a chance it’s Diaw, at least early on. I wasn’t as moved by Lyles’ summer performance as others were, largely because he scored the ball in ways that have very little to do with how he’ll be used in the Jazz’s regular season offense. The Jazz made these offseason moves so they could be competitive now. It’s a shift in team ideology, and I think it favors Diaw, at least until Lyles shows sustained improvement in some key areas.

Yeah I'd say this is about right. I do think Joe Johnson could end up playing a ton of 4 though too not to mention Hayward. Lyles won't be given minutes. He will have to earn them this year.

Quote:
there’s no way the Jazz spent $22 million on a player they envisioned playing just 15 clean-up minutes a night.

pretty much you'd think but with all the money they had to spend who knows. A 2nd guaranteed year is what makes me think he's here to play a big role.

Quote:
Shelvin Mack. After being the third string point guard in Atlanta, Mack was terrific after the February trade brought him to Utah. He was a breath of fresh air. A few months later, he finds himself as the third point guard again. That has to be tough to get an opportunity to start for the first time, only to see it last just 30 games. He will be remarkable insurance as a third stringer, as will Raul Neto and Joe Ingles.

One other guy appreciates Mack. Who in the organization has said he's the 3rd pg though? Hard for me to see him going from one of their best players to the end of the bench. Someone has to take his job. I'd say the same for Neto. I can see Ingles in the mix later in the year possibly. Withey if he can hit the corner 3!

Quote:
4. Is there a rotation player who’s better today than most fans realize?

Mack and Neto

Quote:
Spencer: Dante Exum. I’m not saying Exum cannot develop to be a great player, but the last time we saw him in a regular season game, he was not. Exum played great defense as a rookie but also posted the worst PER (5.70) of all 77 qualifying point guards. Now he’s 13 months removed from playing organized basketball, yet there are fans arguing about whether Exum should start over George Hill. I do believe Exum can develop into a great point guard, but fans are letting the vision of who he can be cloud their judgement of who he is today.

bingo!

Quote:
Jarom: Rudy. I think it’s either Rudy or Trey at this point, but with Lyles as a backup I think fans have a lowered expectation. Rudy is good; to steal Canadian wrestler Chris Jericho’s line, Rudy is likely “the best in the world at what he does.” However, he is still limited and while he’s a DPOY candidate he has a limited offense and isn’t nearly a complete player… yet.

yet the reason that the Jazz have even been competitive the past year plus.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:41 AM   #14
Xiao Yao You

http://uproxx.com/dimemag/utah-jazz-...-leap-2016-17/

Quote:
While Neto certainly showed flashes of promise, he was an extremely low-usage player who kind of looked like he was just trying to not screw up.

I think that's more on the coaches. When they let him run the offense he looked good. Perfect role player.

Quote:
With Hill, the Jazz have a calm, steady hand at the position. Hill’s raw numbers are fairly underwhelming, but much like Mike Conley, he’s an intelligent decision-maker who effects the game in ways that don’t necessarily show up in the box score. He’s improved his shooting from deep, too, averaging a career-high 40.8 percent from downtown last season, despite a downtick in his usage with Paul George and Monta Ellis around. Plus, if you’re looking for stats that demonstrate Hill’s value, his career Win Shares Per 48 Minutes is .146, well above the league average of .100. With Hill starting and Exum coming off the bench, the Jazz have thoroughly upgraded the position they haven’t been able to capably fill since Deron Williams’ departure in 2012.

Not one mention of Mack. Besides David Smith it's hard to read any of this stuff. How can you write about basketball and not know how good Mack was for the Jazz? I writer has said anything about how good he was,

Quote:
Exum’s defensive ability, two-way versatility, and status as a potential franchise cornerstone ensures he’ll play substantial minutes

It does? Two way? I've been led to believe the best players will play. Let's see it Dante.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:46 AM   #15
Xiao Yao You

Quote:
The Jazz are not hosting an open scrimmage for fans as they've done in the past. …
lame!
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: