Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Utah Jazz Forum

Utah Jazz Forum Utah Jazz forum - Utah Jazz message board

Old 09-28-2016, 12:51 AM   #16
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: 2016 pre-season!

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...-or-never.html

Quote:
Dante Exum is still largely untested, but George Hill is the answer to that.

as are many players

Quote:
But were the Jazz to flop, it would be risky for him to stay in Utah.

Could be stupid to give him max money if he can't get you to the playoffs still really.
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 01:04 AM   #17
Xiao Yao You

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/4404005...s-in-his-third

Quote:
The offense has to be connected to the defense. Good defense has to lead to good offense.

Which is the main reason why Dante has to prove he can play offensively. They certainly have some guys that are questionable on the defensive side too so I don't see how Mack and Exum can be ruled out either.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:11 AM   #18
Xiao Yao You

http://purpleandblues.com/2016/09/27...sm-confidence/

Quote:
Skill-wise, he will be an enormous step up from recent Jazz point guards.

other than the 3 and D I'd say Mack and Neto are more skilled

Quote:
So for the select few that still weren’t convinced or excited about George Hill joining the Jazz roster this upcoming season

who would that be? oh no we lost a lottery pick!
Old 09-28-2016, 09:02 AM   #19
Xiao Yao You

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...Utah-Jazz.html

Quote:
The hope would be that he would get better even though he’s out, and in some ways that’s happened.”

in some ways? Doesn't sound like a guy that is necessarily good enough to play on this team.

Quote:
"(To) not know me at all and be able to come in and correct me, I think that's the kind of player that I need," Exum said. "From then, we've built a good relationship."

amazing! vets helping young guys. Who would have thought?
Old 09-28-2016, 09:14 AM   #20
Xiao Yao You

Quote:
Last year, Burke didn’t start in a single game. “Last year I didn’t have the opportunity that I’ll have here. Towards the end of the year, after the deadline, they went their own route,” Burke told reporters in a media day scrum. “I feel like I’m going to have an opportunity to be myself. I’m with an organization that will allow me to be myself. It’s a better fit for me.” – via Wiz of Awes

You had nothing but opportunities. You was given the starting job and you've yet to prove you are an NBA player.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:33 PM   #21
Xiao Yao You

Quote:
Charles F. Gardner: Visitors at practice Wed. included former UW coach Dick Bennett and Utah Jazz legend John Stockton. Coach Jason Kidd invited Stockton to camp. – via cf_gardner

Charles F. Gardner: Jason Kidd on John Stockton: “If you want to help your guys at some of the positions, you find the best. I got very lucky John could join us.” – via cf_gardner

Charles F. Gardner: Jason Kidd on John Stockton helping the Bucks guards: “We have Malcolm and Delly. And I told him we have a pretty big point guard, too.” – via cf_gardner

should be in Utah
Old 09-28-2016, 04:45 PM   #22
Xiao Yao You

Aaron Falk: Joe Johnson: This is my 16th season, man…I’m just looking forward to a new challenge – via tribjazz

David Locke: Joe Johnson “we have a lot of guys that are quiet and reserved we are trying to bring them out” – via Lockedonsports

David Locke: Joe Johnson “we are a young team with a little sprinkle of wisdom” – via Lockedonsports

Aaron Falk: Derrick Favors said Joe Johnson is taking a leadership role with the team. Said he grew up in ATL watching Joe, said he’s still the same guy – via tribjazz
Old 09-28-2016, 07:48 PM   #23
Xiao Yao You

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/bdl-25-...053126838.html

Quote:
Holdovers like Raul Neto and Shelvin Mack played too many minutes last year but should be more able to contribute because of it this year, too.

If Mack had been on the team all year they probably take at least 5th
Old 09-28-2016, 08:07 PM   #24
Xiao Yao You

http://saltcityhoops.com/staff-scrim...ecisions-loom/

Quote:
Would the Jazz offer that contract, which might cost them Exum or Rodney Hood, based primarily on the anticipated impact of Hill? I don’t see it.

They gave up a lottery for a reason. He's a better fit than Hood and Burks.

Quote:
Withey is the best rim protector on the roster outside of Gobert, and will be called upon should Rudy miss any extended time.

wasn't called last year except when Rudy and Favors were out
Old 09-28-2016, 10:05 PM   #25
Xiao Yao You

Jody Genessy: Per Jazz PR, Quincy Ford is undergoing evaluation by the training staff after a blow to the head. No PM practice for him. Day-to-day. – via DJJazzyJody
Old 09-29-2016, 03:39 PM   #26
Xiao Yao You

“I’m not coming here trying to be a star or starter,” Johnson said. “Me and coach Snyder have talked from time to time through texts or phone calls. He understands where I’m at and I understand what he wants from me as a player and that’s to help these young guys such as Rodney (Hood) and Gordon. I’m here to tell them about some of the things I’ve been through and help them out with their experiences.” – via Deseret News

“The fit is a really good one,” said Snyder. “What he brings is a confidence and experience and as much as anything, maturity. This is a player who has started every game for the past 10 years. He knows that the situation here could be different, but that wasn’t a deterrent to him coming here. Everything I heard about him has been positive. He knows how much I respect him. I think he looked at this team and said, ‘Hey, this is an opportunity for me to have an impact and help build something.’ That’s satisfying. Credit him, the guy’s got no ego.” – via Deseret News
Old 09-29-2016, 04:02 PM   #27
Xiao Yao You

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/4413182...-favors-is-all

Quote:
Those numbers suggest ex-Jazz general manager Kevin O'Connor was right.

After the trade with New Jersey, O'Connor said the Jazz ranked Favors as the top player in the 2010 draft — ahead of John Wall, who went No. 1 to Washington and Evan Turner, who was picked second by Philadelphia.

The Nets took Favors with the No. 3 pick but, eight months later, shipped him to Utah.

It was a good day for Jazz Nation, which has watched him mature into a franchise cornerstone, like teammate Gordon Hayward.

Wall is better so how is O'Conner right? Getting rid of your best player for the 2nd offer on the table from the only team that knew he was available is a good day?
Old 09-29-2016, 04:18 PM   #28
Xiao Yao You

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/if...st-control-it/

Quote:
Throw in a healthy Exum and Burks and you now run 11 or 12 deep on this roster, and actually have more of a problem finding minutes for all of the talent at Quin Snyder's disposal.

I'd say they have 13 rotation caliber players with Exum's status pending until I actually see it on the court.

Quote:
I don't think we were skipping steps by any means."

Getting rid of Burke last year and replacing him with a vet would have been skipping steps?
Old 09-29-2016, 04:36 PM   #29
Xiao Yao You

http://saltcityhoops.com/derrick-fav...u-think-he-is/

Quote:
The Jazz should absolutely prioritize finding ways for Favors to get these kinds of to-the-hoop touches.

agreed but he has to be able to hit a shot out there too if the roll isn't there.

Quote:
Favors ranks in the top 20 in Nylon Calculus’ points saved per game at the rim. His defensive FG% at the rim — 47.8% — isn’t in the elite range of the Rudy Gobert (41%) and Serge Ibaka (43.3%) types

nor Withey!

Quote:
“They still want me to become a better passer out of the post [and] the elbow, free-throw line area.”

he's shown signs of being a good passer

Quote:
He has been working to hone an already much-improved midrange game. The past two seasons have been his best in that regard, as he has averaged 40% on shots from 10 to 15 feet and 34% on long twos. Those shots made up more than 40% of his total attempts last year, far and away the most of his career as he works to use that free throw line jumper to pull defenses off the baseline and help with spacing.

He sucked last year especially after getting hurt. I think literally he hit one jumper after that

Quote:
“That’s something I learned from (former Jazz teammate Paul Millsap),” he explained. “Add something new to your game every year and extend your range every year.”

learning from a better vet. Who would have thought?
Old 09-29-2016, 04:47 PM   #30
Xiao Yao You

http://saltcityhoops.com/staff-scrim...-honors-watch/

Quote:
this is still a team that didn’t make the playoffs last year. To take a leap to a homecourt playoff berth in a single season would be the ticket to show voters what Snyder and company have been building in Utah.

The problem I have with that is they should have been at least 5th last year. and Snyder not playing Withey is a big part of that.

Quote:
this is still a team that didn’t make the playoffs last year. To take a leap to a homecourt playoff berth in a single season would be the ticket to show voters what Snyder and company have been building in Utah.

I'm expecting the Wolves to be a lot better than most seem to think. Thibs and Towns are too good

Quote:
his rookie year was actually quite abysmal by some measures, especially on offense.

nice to see there's a couple people living in reality
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: