Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Cleveland Cavaliers Forum

Cleveland Cavaliers Forum Cleveland cavaliers message board - cleveland cavaliers fan forum

Old 05-19-2007, 06:43 AM   #16
R.I.P.
NBA lottery pick

R.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Detroit vs. Cleveland ECF matchup

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPower
I think the Bulls are significantly better than the Cavs because I don't really like Drew Gooden as a player, his basketball IQ is too low. I don't much like Z, he's too slow and I don't really like how he fits with the rest of the team. I don't like Larry Hughes because he's not a true PG, and he can't shoot well enough to play SG. The team seems like more of a hodge podge frankenstein machine than a cohesive unit.

Perfect summary of the Cavs. Pistons will lose 1-2 games, because they´ll get too cocky as usual, but the Cavs just cannot hang with them.
R.I.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 06:54 AM   #17
BigTicket
Cavs for life

BigTicket is a pretty well-respected posterBigTicket is a pretty well-respected posterBigTicket is a pretty well-respected poster

Think the Pistons will win, though I obviously hope that won't happen as a Cavs fan, and I do think the Cavs have a realistic shot at this, the Pistons aren't unbeatable and Cavs role players have showed up this year unlike last year.

So going to be optimistic here and say Cavs in 7.

In any case though this has already been a very good year for the Cavs, even a sweep now wouldn't change that, any wins they get from here are just a sweet bonus.
BigTicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 07:08 AM   #18
kumquat
College superstar

kumquat is considered somewhat coolkumquat is considered somewhat coolkumquat is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebron23

RESPECT THE CAVALIERS AND LEBRON JAMES

Who on the cavs should you respect outside of James. Nobody. They'd be competing for Durant and oden without lebron.
kumquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 07:18 AM   #19
Lebron23
GOAT Small Forward

Lebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Arrow Re: Detroit vs. Cleveland ECF matchup

LeBron takes charge, makes deepest playoff run for Cavs

By Brian Windhorst

Special to ESPN.com

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- LeBron James has treasured a handful of moments in his still young career.

There was his last game in high school, when he led his team to a mythical national championship. There was the night he was taken No. 1 overall in the NBA draft by the Cleveland Cavaliers. It would also figure the day he signed a $90 million contract with Nike ranks right up there as well.

But basking in the euphoria of the Cavs' playoff series victory over the Nets Friday night, James couldn't think of anything greater. It may have just been a conference semifinal series, it may have been against a team seeded only sixth in the weaker Eastern Conference, but it nonetheless marks the first time the Cavs have earned a trip to the conference finals since 1992 when James was 7 and obliviously bouncing around a Cavs-crazed town.

Excuse him if he was lost in the moment.

"I'm not going to lie and say this isn't a great feeling," James said. "It is one of the best feelings I've had as a basketball player."

James' stats from the Cavs' 88-72 Game 6 win weren't history-making. He had 23 points, eight rebounds and eight assists, pretty close to his averages for the 10 games of this postseason. The way he got them, though, was more statement-making.

After getting chewed up by the Nets and their double teams and zones in a Game 5 loss back in Cleveland on Wednesday, James eschewed his normal approach of using the first quarter to set up his teammates. Instead of being the passive and passing LeBron, the one so often cracked by observers, he was a aggressive and primal LeBron, using his size and skill to overpower the unsuspecting Nets.

Once he jump stopped, bounced to the left and banked one in. Another time he posted up Jason Kidd, spun quickly and tossed in a shot from the block. Then he drove, flung his body left to create space and threw in a one-handed shot as he was falling down.

When the quarter broke, he had 14 points and nine foul shot attempts, the Nets only resort was to foul.

LeBron James took control early, scoring 14 first-quarter points.
The Cavs were on their way to a 22-point lead, putting the Nets in a deep hole that even a high-energy and valiant second-half comeback couldn't overcome. It was purely shock and awe, James at his best.

"We felt the most aggressive team was going to win," Cavs coach Mike Brown said. "LeBron came out and executed the game plan very well."

Then came the still young and learning side of James. In the third quarter he picked up three fouls in five minutes and had to go to the bench. It was the earliest in his career James had picked up four fouls. Once he left, the Cavs instantly gave up a 12-0 run and nearly all of their lead.

James could only watch and see the difference a star can make. Kidd was making his impact, scoring 12 of his 19 points in the third quarter to made his push to extend his season, carrying the Nets in a desperate time.

"It was tough on every Cavs fan to watch that third quarter," James said. "It was tough on me as well as everyone back home."

Most back in Cleveland were likely yelling at their television screens as they watched the Cavs fall into the trap of hoisting up jumpers against the Nets' zone. They needed some shooters and their difference-maker living up to his billing.

On this night, James did. He scored nine points in the fourth, nailing four jumpers, but he also had four rebounds and three assists as the Cavs shooters finally took advantage of the collapsing defense on James.

Perhaps it wasn't a command performance, but for James it was another stepping stone in his development. There have been potholes, highly visible ones at times, but he's steadily lifted his team.

When he arrived he joined 17-win team that was last in the NBA in attendance, ever since he's pulled them upward.

Now he's got the Cavs in the NBA's Final Four and he's taking a moment to be proud about it.

"I get criticized sometimes for not scoring, but the main thing in our profession is winning," James said. "I'm a winner and I've got a lot of winners behind me. We're moving on."

Last edited by Lebron23 : 05-19-2007 at 07:23 AM.
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 10:38 AM   #20
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Problem with the Cavs is, against the top 4 teams they're putting out only 1 of the top 7 or 8 players on the court in terms of playoff basketball (shooting, defense, decision making). And if you think about it, LeBron shouldn't even be tops in that, those are his three major weaknesses.

LeBron
Billups
Sheed
RIP
Tay
Webber
Dyess
Z
Hunter
LH
Max
Varaejo
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 11:05 AM   #21
Richie2k6
Smooth Like Butter

Richie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Cleveland can't take down such a veteran team. They're not good as closing out series, so that makes it even worse. Not to mention the Pistons stiffling 2-3 Zone defense, which would force Lebron to be a jump shooter. Pistons in 6.
Richie2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 11:23 AM   #22
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Good point. This years' improved 2-3 and 2-2-1 zones should kill Cleveland with their lack of shooters. Chicago was able to get hot and take a couple games but Cavs just don't have the fire power.

I think substituting LH for Snow and Webber for Wallace is gonna kill them too. Gooden will not be able to hide on defense, and Snow's defense on Chauncey was prolly the only reason last years series was as close as it was.
Old 05-19-2007, 01:41 PM   #23
insidehoops
Administrator

insidehoops has disabled reputation

Reminder: your predictions aren't interesting at all if they aren't accompanied by a whole bunch of thoughts, insights, opinions and explanations.
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 01:45 PM   #24
BigTicket
Cavs for life

BigTicket is a pretty well-respected posterBigTicket is a pretty well-respected posterBigTicket is a pretty well-respected poster

Stats for 07 playoffs:

Z : 14/10
Gooden: 12/10

Sheed: 15/8
Webber: 9/7

Not really seeing the supposed dominance Pistons have in the frontcourt.

Cleveland is obviously better at SF, much better.

Just as obviously Pistons have the advantage in the backcourt, and it's a big one, but unlike most teams Pistons guards don't have a size advantage against the Cavs.

As for shooters off the bench Detroit have none, Cleveland has Gibson, Marshall and Jones.
Frontcourt player off the bench it's McDyess vs Varejeo, McDyess has a lot more experience but otherwise it's fairly even.

All in all Pistons have a clear advantage in experience, but not much else.

Last edited by BigTicket : 05-19-2007 at 01:47 PM.
Old 05-19-2007, 02:26 PM   #25
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

Did you just say Varaejo-Dyess was even, and that Pistons have no shooters off the bench and then list Marshall, Gibson!!, and The Butler?

Please.

Are they really much better at SF? Offensively yeah, they are about 7 points per game better. THat being said, Tay is a better shooter, post up player, defender, and LeBron can't guard a school girl and Flip goes right at him every time. Last game they played Tay took him down on the block like Bron was 6'2" 180 every posession until they had to move LeBron off him.

Front court matchup? Who exactly have Z/Gooden been going up against?

Sheed and C-Webb have matched up against Dwight Howard, Ben Wallace, and PJ Brown.

Have you caught any previous Sheed-Z matchups? Specifically Sheed bloodying up Z's head and laughing his ass off the court? I'm assuming you've seen how poorly Gooden performs against front courts that don't have their heads up their ass?
Old 05-19-2007, 03:36 PM   #26
BigTicket
Cavs for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
Did you just say Varaejo-Dyess was even, and that Pistons have no shooters off the bench and then list Marshall, Gibson!!, and The Butler?

Please.

Are they really much better at SF? Offensively yeah, they are about 7 points per game better. THat being said, Tay is a better shooter, post up player, defender, and LeBron can't guard a school girl and Flip goes right at him every time. Last game they played Tay took him down on the block like Bron was 6'2" 180 every posession until they had to move LeBron off him.

Front court matchup? Who exactly have Z/Gooden been going up against?

Sheed and C-Webb have matched up against Dwight Howard, Ben Wallace, and PJ Brown.

Have you caught any previous Sheed-Z matchups? Specifically Sheed bloodying up Z's head and laughing his ass off the court? I'm assuming you've seen how poorly Gooden performs against front courts that don't have their heads up their ass?

Keep on thinking you're unbeatable, that's exactly what the Cavs want you to do, you did so last year and damn near lost because of it, last year when you were the best team in the league rather than the 4th best.

Oh and since you brought it up here are the averages for Gooden and Z against the Pistons this year:

Gooden: 12/8
Z: 14/8

Combined 26/16

Meanwhile here we have Sheed and Webber against the Cavs:

Sheed: 10/7
Webbet: 15/9

Combined 25/16

Still not seeing the supposed Piston dominance there.

And which shooter of the bench is it you want me to mention ? None of them make more than 1/3 of their 3's, hardly stellar. Meanwhile gibson shot 42% for the season as a rookie, Marshall holds the NBA record for most 3's in a game and Jones has been in the 3-point shootout several times.
Old 05-19-2007, 04:17 PM   #27
browntown
National High School Star

browntown is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebrowntown is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebrowntown is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebrowntown is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebrowntown is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebrowntown is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebrowntown is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebrowntown is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebrowntown is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebrowntown is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebrowntown is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Conf Finals: Analyze the Pistons-Cavs matchup

This series depends on a couple of matchups, and points.

1. Lebron James .vs. Tyshaun Prince: We'll see if Prince can contain Lebron, because if he doesn't there's no Ben Wallace to help him out inside.

2. Can Larry Hughes keep up with Rip Hamilton, it's going to be hard to keep up with him throw those pics and if he cheats it'll be a bucket.

3. It also depends on Rasheed Wallace. If he can take over in the post then it'll be a shorter series then projected.

4. Oh and how could I forget what are the Cavs going to throw at Chauncy Billups.

Oh and my prediction is Pistons in 6.
browntown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 04:30 PM   #28
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTicket
Keep on thinking you're unbeatable, that's exactly what the Cavs want you to do, you did so last year and damn near lost because of it, last year when you were the best team in the league rather than the 4th best.

Oh and since you brought it up here are the averages for Gooden and Z against the Pistons this year:

Gooden: 12/8
Z: 14/8

Combined 26/16

Meanwhile here we have Sheed and Webber against the Cavs:

Sheed: 10/7
Webbet: 15/9

Combined 25/16

Still not seeing the supposed Piston dominance there.

And which shooter of the bench is it you want me to mention ? None of them make more than 1/3 of their 3's, hardly stellar. Meanwhile gibson shot 42% for the season as a rookie, Marshall holds the NBA record for most 3's in a game and Jones has been in the 3-point shootout several times.

Unbeatable? No way. Beat the Cavs? Fer sure.

And why do you keep on bringing up the Cavs bench. I said shooters, not shooters off the bench. Here are some shooters for you:

Billups
RIP
Tayshaun
Sheed
Webber
Dyess

Why must they come off the bench? That list of shooters is far superior to anything you can come up with concerning the Cavs.

As for the frontcourt. If you can't see why Sheed/Webber/Dyess/Max have the advantage over Gooden/Z/Varaejo/Marshall then I don't know what to say to you.
Old 05-19-2007, 04:39 PM   #29
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation

I think the Cavs could win this series, but I find it unlikely. They would have to play the best basketball they've played all year in 7 games.

They would have to shoot a high percentage (they don't).

They would have to go to Z often, and not just in the 1st quarter. (they won't)

Lebron would have to open up his repertoire and muscle down in the post against the smaller (read: not as strong) Prince. (he has gone in the post a total of twice all year that I remember)

A lot of people are pointing at last year's playoffs and saying the Cavs have a good shot. But I seriously think there were locker room issues with last season's Piston's team. I think it all culminated in Ben Wallace's decision to leave in the off season.

I think Detroit is definitely a more focused team this year, and quite possibly a better team. CWeb doesn't have the same athleticism that he had in his youth, but he's proving that he's not the washed up has-been that most people thought he was in Philly. And most importantly, he wants a title. Badly. And he's playing for his home team (Michigan) now, where he grew up.

All these factors make him potentially more dangerous than Wallace was at any given time.

The Cavaliers improvements include adding Gibson to the fold and the emergence of Sasha, but also, they lost Flip Murray who while a non-factor really in the playoffs last year, he was an pivotal part of the Cavs success last season when Hughes went down. And of course we know Flip is now wearing red, white, and blue.

It's going to be very hard for the Cavs to matchup against Detroit as well. Defensively, they matchup well in the backcourt, but in the front court, Wallace or CWeb can score from almost any spot on the floor (all though Wallace has better range). Varejo may be able to roam around and limit Wallace somewhat, but that leaves a giant hole in the middle that Z isn't quick enough to fill, and Gooden isn't focused enough.

Rasheed killed us last year with his open threes in the series.

And lets not forget the Piston's superior depth at almost every position.

Princes length makes him a very good possibility to guard Lebron one-on-one. His long arms will make it very hard for James to get a shot off, and Prince is a very solid shot blocker. I don't see Detroit needing to put 4 guys in the lane like a lot of other teams.

Last year, their defense of Lebron consisted largely of having one guy guard him, and then having Rasheed collapse for a double team. I think that strategy would suffice again this year. Lebron will still get his, but he'll have to earn them.

I see Detroit winning this series if the Cavs play like they have all year, but I won't make any predictions.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 05:07 PM   #30
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Discuss the key player matchups between the two teams.

pg: Clearly Billups is better all around than whatever the cavs plug this hole with. larry has exceeded my expectations at the 1, but is a poor decision maker and way too streaky. This forces lebron to play the point forward, which will be a detriment over the series. The size of the backcourt will be good and fairly effective against billups, but he will certainly get his.

sg: Gotta go with experience. Although sasha looks good at times and plays with a lot of hustle, can he or hughes keep up with rip around the screens? Gonna be a lot of tired guards for the Cavs.

sf: the King or the Prince? Lebron will of course have the better numbers (1st option vs 4th option), but tay can worry him and frustrate him quite a bit. I expect one embarrasing low block dunk from tay over bron. gonna have to give the edge to bron.

pf: Obviously shhed is infinitely more skilled than Gooden, but I wouldnt be suprised to see Gooden outrebound and outhustle the pistons from the 4. It will be interesting to see how Sideshow comes into the games as well.

C: Well, big Z could kill weber in the post, but I think the pistons will counter this by running the big man silly on the Defensive end. I expect to see a lot of Dale Davis and even Nazr in the series if Z is on his game.

Bench: CLearly the pistons size and experience on the bench should help them. Not much for the cavs outside of sideshow and marshall (two very 1-dimensional bigs). Not sure how much pull Damon or Eric gets, although I expect eric to get some minutes just to give bron some breaks bringing the ball up.

Cleveland advantages: Lebron James, rebounding, ?????

Detroit advantages: Passing, shooting, defense (esp. in the zone), overall experience. If sheed is focused and playing within the role the team needs him to (more post than 3s, but still stretch the D, strong interior D, keep his frustration in check), I dont see how the King can win this one. Z and Gooden will both have to play great (D, rebounding, offensive cleanup from gooden, primary post optiona nd rebounding from Z) and the guards will have to at least defend as well as they can if the cavs have a chance.

Pistons in 6

Last edited by boozehound : 05-19-2007 at 05:46 PM.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: