Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2007, 05:30 PM   #16
2LeTTeRS KD
Both teams played hard
 
2LeTTeRS KD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Why does it matter?
Posts: 1,738
2LeTTeRS KD has decent reputation
Default Re: NBA Match-up: Who'd You Rather Have For One Season, Prime KG or A 22-Year Old LeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharas
it's really silly how much garnett becomes underrated these days.

garnett took team with cassell, sczerbiak and aging spree to 58 victories in the west. their best bench player was troy f'kin hudson. on offense it's maybe comparable (and i say MAYBE), but on defense kg's impact is light years ahead of lebron. one of best rebounders in league if not the best, one of best man-to-man defenders in league and also 2 blocks per game.

ervin johnson
any pf of sczerbiak's quality
22 years old lebron
2003 sprewell
2003 cassell

that team wouldn't take kobe/shaq lakers to 6 games. just wouldn't.

True KG is a better defender, but Bron is also a much better scorer. They both help in help D in their own ways, and even though both are good playmakers Bron is better at it. Neither are known as masters of the clutch but I also would trust Bron in the last 4 minutes of a close game than KG. Personally Bron is my choice.
2LeTTeRS KD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 05:32 PM   #17
chains5000
From Out Of Nowhere
 
chains5000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bilbao
Posts: 8,661
chains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: NBA Match-up: Who'd You Rather Have For One Season, Prime KG or A 22-Year Old LeB

Is it me or PleezeBelieve has left (AGAIN) to hide he's got no valid arguments?
chains5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 05:35 PM   #18
Richie2k6
Smooth Like Butter
 
Richie2k6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The Terrordome Team: Nuggets
Posts: 9,908
Richie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: NBA Match-up: Who'd You Rather Have For One Season, Prime KG or A 22-Year Old LeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LeTTeRS KD
True KG is a better defender, but Bron is also a much better scorer. They both help in help D in their own ways, and even though both are good playmakers Bron is better at it. Neither are known as masters of the clutch but I also would trust Bron in the last 4 minutes of a close game than KG. Personally Bron is my choice.

: : : : :
Trusting Lebron in the clutch is like trusting a premature monkey to do advanced calculus with your life on the line. He's the biggest clutch choker ever. Garnett is a great clutch player. He's had his fair share of mid-range buzzer beater, and is known for having monster numbers in close games, OT games and crunch time, such as 35 and 20. Lebron has a lot to learn about clutch time. Remember Cavs @ Pistons near the end of the season? Lebron choked at the line. Remember Cavs vs Mavs? : : : He missed 2 clutch FT's, then they got the O. reb, and he missed the 3. Marshall tipped it back out, and he missed the 3 again. Lebron + Clutch = No way.

Garnett all the way. Better leader, better mentally tough, brings energy to his team, better rebounder, better defender, as good as a scorer as Lebron, more experience.

Last edited by Richie2k6 : 05-19-2007 at 05:37 PM.
Richie2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 05:36 PM   #19
Sharas
Great college starter
 
Sharas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: B&H
Posts: 3,126
Sharas is considered somewhat coolSharas is considered somewhat coolSharas is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: NBA Match-up: Who'd You Rather Have For One Season, Prime KG or A 22-Year Old LeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LeTTeRS KD
True KG is a better defender, but Bron is also a much better scorer. They both help in help D in their own ways, and even though both are good playmakers Bron is better at it. Neither are known as masters of the clutch but I also would trust Bron in the last 4 minutes of a close game than KG. Personally Bron is my choice.

defense and rebounding combined are at least as important as offense. and i wouldn't agree that lebron is much better scorer than prime kg, if at all. big men impact game more even while scoring less by drawing double teams and typically shooting better percentages. that's the reason most great teams are built around them and not swingmen.

we still don't know what can lebron become. but 22 year old lebron is not better than prime kevin garnett. simply not. look again at team that garnett brought to 58 victories. that's him, spree, cassell and very weak bench. how much victories lebron had last year in much weaker conference and arguably better support?
Sharas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 05:37 PM   #20
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES
 
Skywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 14,972
Skywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: NBA Match-up: Who'd You Rather Have For One Season, Prime KG or A 22-Year Old LeB

KG did not fade in 4th quarters in those playoffs. Invalid. Where does that argument originate from?
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 05:40 PM   #21
Sharas
Great college starter
 
Sharas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: B&H
Posts: 3,126
Sharas is considered somewhat coolSharas is considered somewhat coolSharas is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: NBA Match-up: Who'd You Rather Have For One Season, Prime KG or A 22-Year Old LeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by chains5000
Is it me or PleezeBelieve has left (AGAIN) to hide he's got no valid arguments?

it's you:
Sharas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 05:46 PM   #22
2LeTTeRS KD
Both teams played hard
 
2LeTTeRS KD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Why does it matter?
Posts: 1,738
2LeTTeRS KD has decent reputation
Default Re: NBA Match-up: Who'd You Rather Have For One Season, Prime KG or A 22-Year Old LeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharas
defense and rebounding combined are at least as important as offense. and i wouldn't agree that lebron is much better scorer than prime kg, if at all. big men impact game more even while scoring less by drawing double teams and typically shooting better percentages. that's the reason most great teams are built around them and not swingmen.

we still don't know what can lebron become. but 22 year old lebron is not better than prime kevin garnett. simply not. look again at team that garnett brought to 58 victories. that's him, spree, cassell and very weak bench. how much victories lebron had last year in much weaker conference and arguably better support?

True big men scoring normally has more impact, but KG normally doesn't score like a big man. You could argue that Bron scores more like a big than Bron does and his 250+ pound frame would support that against KG's toothpick. And even if with his skillset you could say KG equals Bron as a scorer, which I don't disagree with, it doesn't really matter because he doesn't have the mindset of a 30 point scorer like a Bron does.

And I disagree that defense even when combined with rebounding is as important as offense, for the simple reason that a good scorer can score whether the defense is good or not. Defensively you cannot say even a great defender will shut down the offensive player whether he's a good scorer or an average one. Plus Bron has improved to the point that he's an average man defender and very good on help D, all in all making him a pretty good defender, and we all know he's a superb rebounder for a 3, with a lot of the difference between the 2 on the boards comign from teh fact that KG plays with no good rebounders and as a 4 rebounding is a primary responsiblity of his. I just don't see the difference in rebounding and D in being that huge.
2LeTTeRS KD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 05:50 PM   #23
Richie2k6
Smooth Like Butter
 
Richie2k6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The Terrordome Team: Nuggets
Posts: 9,908
Richie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: NBA Match-up: Who'd You Rather Have For One Season, Prime KG or A 22-Year Old LeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LeTTeRS KD
True big men scoring normally has more impact, but KG normally doesn't score like a big man. You could argue that Bron scores more like a big than Bron does and his 250+ pound frame would support that against KG's toothpick. And even if with his skillset you could say KG equals Bron as a scorer, which I don't disagree with, it doesn't really matter because he doesn't have the mindset of a 30 point scorer like a Bron does.

And I disagree that defense even when combined with rebounding is as important as offense, for the simple reason that a good scorer can score whether the defense is good or not. Defensively you cannot say even a great defender will shut down the offensive player whether he's a good scorer or an average one. Plus Bron has improved to the point that he's an average man defender and very good on help D, all in all making him a pretty good defender, and we all know he's a superb rebounder for a 3, with a lot of the difference between the 2 on the boards comign from teh fact that KG plays with no good rebounders and as a 4 rebounding is a primary responsiblity of his. I just don't see the difference in rebounding and D in being that huge.

You're not implying that Garnett is an overrated rebounder are you. :rollingeyes:
Richie2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 05:54 PM   #24
Sharas
Great college starter
 
Sharas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: B&H
Posts: 3,126
Sharas is considered somewhat coolSharas is considered somewhat coolSharas is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: NBA Match-up: Who'd You Rather Have For One Season, Prime KG or A 22-Year Old LeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LeTTeRS KD
True big men scoring normally has more impact, but KG normally doesn't score like a big man. You could argue that Bron scores more like a big than Bron does and his 250+ pound frame would support that against KG's toothpick. And even if with his skillset you could say KG equals Bron as a scorer, which I don't disagree with, it doesn't really matter because he doesn't have the mindset of a 30 point scorer like a Bron does.

And I disagree that defense even when combined with rebounding is as important as offense, for the simple reason that a good scorer can score whether the defense is good or not. Defensively you cannot say even a great defender will shut down the offensive player whether he's a good scorer or an average one. Plus Bron has improved to the point that he's an average man defender and very good on help D, all in all making him a pretty good defender, and we all know he's a superb rebounder for a 3, with a lot of the difference between the 2 on the boards comign from teh fact that KG plays with no good rebounders and as a 4 rebounding is a primary responsiblity of his. I just don't see the difference in rebounding and D in being that huge.

he doesn't have mindset of 30 point scorer, that's right. but he nevertheless had the mindset to take his team farther with less.
also, it definitely matters whether defense is good, even for kobe/lebron class of scorers. and especially it's important whether there is great shot blocker patrolling the lane. where 2003 kg is again one of best players in league. al aspects of his defese are superb. great big man defender improves overall team defense way, way more than great perimeter defender.

you can agree or not, but for me 2003 kg >>> 2006 lebron any day of the week.
his overall impact on the game is simply greater IMO.
Sharas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 06:27 PM   #25
2LeTTeRS KD
Both teams played hard
 
2LeTTeRS KD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Why does it matter?
Posts: 1,738
2LeTTeRS KD has decent reputation
Default Re: NBA Match-up: Who'd You Rather Have For One Season, Prime KG or A 22-Year Old LeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie2k6
You're not implying that Garnett is an overrated rebounder are you. :rollingeyes:

No I'm implying that the difference between the 2 as rebounder is smaller than one would expect in just looking at the numbers because of the different positions they play and their teammates. KG is a superb rebounder, but Bron is also very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharas
he doesn't have mindset of 30 point scorer, that's right. but he nevertheless had the mindset to take his team farther with less.
also, it definitely matters whether defense is good, even for kobe/lebron class of scorers. and especially it's important whether there is great shot blocker patrolling the lane. where 2003 kg is again one of best players in league. al aspects of his defese are superb. great big man defender improves overall team defense way, way more than great perimeter defender.

you can agree or not, but for me 2003 kg >>> 2006 lebron any day of the week.
his overall impact on the game is simply greater IMO.

I respectfully disagreee. KG is a great player and I"m not trying to down him in anyway, but I just don't see him being as good as Bron, mainly because of lacking that scoring dominace that Bron can provide.
2LeTTeRS KD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 06:52 PM   #26
skillswithaz
I bust ghosts
 
skillswithaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,219
skillswithaz has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: NBA Match-up: Who'd You Rather Have For One Season, Prime KG or A 22-Year Old LeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LeTTeRS KD
No I'm implying that the difference between the 2 as rebounder is smaller than one would expect in just looking at the numbers because of the different positions they play and their teammates. KG is a superb rebounder, but Bron is also very good.



I respectfully disagreee. KG is a great player and I"m not trying to down him in anyway, but I just don't see him being as good as Bron, mainly because of lacking that scoring dominace that Bron can provide.

okay, here are some postseason stats for KG. He has scored 27ppg in a postseason. 19 rpg in another. Averaged 9 assists before.

In 03/04 he went 24/14/5/2/2

Lebron on the other hand has averaged 27/7/6/2/1
so 3 ppg more, 7 rbg less, 1 assist more, less steals and less blocks
and Lebron is obviously not the defensive juggernaut that KG is.

Not to mention that with a good coach, KG is the best player in the league easily. He is a match-up nightmare on offense because of his quickness, strength, and post moves, he and can guard any position in the league on defense. Lebron can score a little bit better, occasionally pass the ball better, and he may be able to jump a little bit higher (don't sleep on KG for this one).

I would take prime KG over any other player in the last 15 years not named MJ, Shaq, or Olajuwon.

Do I think that Lebron will in the end have a better career? Yes, but only because he will have seen how McHale took advantage of the superstar he had.
skillswithaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 06:59 PM   #27
MaxFly
Stylin' on you
 
MaxFly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 8,393
MaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this board
Default Re: NBA Match-up: Who'd You Rather Have For One Season, Prime KG or A 22-Year Old LeBron?

I'd take a prime KG easily...

In his prime, KG did the following:

02-03: 23.0/6.0/13.5/ 50.2% FG
03-04: 24.2/5.0/13.9/ 49.9% FG
04-05: 22.2/5.7/13.5/ 50.2% FG

Those are crazy numbers... Garnett has lead the league in EFF since the 02-03 season and has been top 3 since 99-00.

SMH @ people taking Lebron because he beat a Wizards team missing two of their best players and a team that was .500 out East and missing their starting center. Why am I not surprised?
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 07:07 PM   #28
Lebron23
GOAT Small Forward
 
Lebron23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: LeBronville
Posts: 44,389
Lebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Talking Re: NBA Match-up: Who'd You Rather Have For One Season, Prime KG or A 22-Year Old LeBron?

I choose Lebron over a 33 yrs.old Steve Nash who cannot even get into the NBA Finals with his 3 ALL Star Teammates and former Coach of the Year.

Back to the question if i would build a franchise around i choose Lebron James over KG, cause Lebron has the leadership qualities that of an NBA Legend. Kevin is good but i think Lebron is more of a great player and team motivator.

Kevin has played with a better teammates than Lebron, do not compare the East and West BS cause Cavs have a better record in the West than KG produce this season.


Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 07:08 PM   #29
Rockets(T-mac)
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Rockets(T-mac)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 7,271
Rockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputation
Default Re: NBA Match-up: Who'd You Rather Have For One Season, Prime KG or A 22-Year Old LeBron?

Prime KG vs. 22yr old Lebron wow no contest KG all the way. Better at jsut about everything except scoring and maybe playmaking (Lebron is probably slightly better). No questions asked Prime KG is better.
Rockets(T-mac) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 07:49 PM   #30
skillswithaz
I bust ghosts
 
skillswithaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,219
skillswithaz has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: NBA Match-up: Who'd You Rather Have For One Season, Prime KG or A 22-Year Old LeBron?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebron23
I choose Lebron over a 33 yrs.old Steve Nash who cannot even get into the NBA Finals with his 3 ALL Star Teammates and former Coach of the Year.

Back to the question if i would build a franchise around i choose Lebron James over KG, cause Lebron has the leadership qualities that of an NBA Legend. Kevin is good but i think Lebron is more of a great player and team motivator.

Kevin has played with a better teammates than Lebron, do not compare the East and West BS cause Cavs have a better record in the West than KG produce this season.



PRIME KG not this year...you didn't answer the question. And all you said is that you think Lebron is more of a great player. and you said it in different ways 3 times. You didn't post any reasons...
skillswithaz is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:20 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy