Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Detroit Pistons Forum

Detroit Pistons Forum Detroit Pistons message board - pistons fan forum

Old 07-05-2006, 10:18 PM   #16
HALLandOATES
Local High School Star

Quote:
Cleveland
Miami
New Jersey
Chicago
Washington
Orlando
Milwaukee
Indy / Detriot / Philly

Toronto
Boston
Knicks
Charlotte
Atlanta

Wow I wouldn't have the Pistons that far down on my list, infact I still think they are in the top 3. Nazr is that much of a downgrade. Hes a offense upgrade, defensely he's worse but he's younger then Ben I believe so maybe this is a blessing in disguise for the Pistons. Maybe it's like get rid of Shaq and getting Tim Duncan.
HALLandOATES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 10:23 PM   #17
AKADS
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
Really hard to tell right now. If anyone noticed, Ben sucked it up in the playoffs the past two years, and our offense is easily bogged down by playing 4 on 5. Our best moments in the playoffs this year definitely came with Dyess in the lineup with Sheed; that's a lot of scoring and Dyess is a good low post defender.

It's quite possible we win close to 60 games again with all that scoring and we likely have the 9-12 pick in next years draft in addition to our own.

On the other hand he brings a lot of defensive intensity, and raises the rest of our defenders to a new level.

Only time will tell.

I assume you are talking about Orlandos pick they will be in the playoffs. ANd the Pistons are goin to be a below average rebounding team now. Without a serious rebound on there team.

Nazr / McDyess
Sheed / McDyess
Prince
Rip
Chauncey.

So McDyess and Sheed are a yr older. Chauncey is not goin to be as good as he played last yr. Prince is goin to be asked to do more and Nazr has never proven a thing outside of servicable. This team will/should make the playoffs but I can see them missing the playoffs all together. Not just because the lost Big Ben and broke up the Mo Town 5 but because they are not a young team. Sheed is shooting to many 3's Rip can't create his own shot and McDyess is gettin older. And they still have zero bench outside of McDyess

Cleveland
Miami
New Jersey
Chicago
Washington
Orlando
Milwaukee
Indy / Detriot / Philly

Toronto
Boston
Knicks
Charlotte
Atlanta
AKADS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 10:26 PM   #18
AKADS
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HALLandOATES
Wow I wouldn't have the Pistons that far down on my list, infact I still think they are in the top 3. Nazr is that much of a downgrade. Hes a offense upgrade, defensely he's worse but he's younger then Ben I believe so maybe this is a blessing in disguise for the Pistons. Maybe it's like get rid of Shaq and getting Tim Duncan.

What has Nazr done. What. Big Ben is a defencive main stay and one of the best rebounder in the NBA. ANd they still have zero bench at all. Pistons are not goin to be able to stay as injury free as they have over the last few yrs.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:28 PM   #19
zebraheat
I hit open layups

No, Pistons will still contend for a championship and are in the elite. McDyess will play more of a role, and they will play their subs more often too.
zebraheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 10:31 PM   #20
AKADS
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraheat
No, Pistons will still contend for a championship and are in the elite. McDyess will play more of a role, and they will play their subs more often too.

What Subs. Detriot put all there marbles into the Big 6 and now one of the 2 best players is gone and after next yr Chauncey will be gone to.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:31 PM   #21
HALLandOATES
Local High School Star

Quote:
What has Nazr done. What. Big Ben is a defencive main stay and one of the best rebounder in the NBA. ANd they still have zero bench at all. Pistons are not goin to be able to stay as injury free as they have over the last few yrs.

You are right Nazr hasn't really done anything. He has proved to be serviceable starting Center in the NBA and the Pistons had zero bench last year and won 60 something games. I just dont see the Pistons going from a 60 win to a team that barley makes the playoffs just because they lost Ben Wallace...I mean they still have four guys that could make the All-star next year. How many other teams can say that. As much as I hate the pistons I just can't grasp the idea of them going from contenders to 8th seeders.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:32 PM   #22
KempSonics
Local High School Star

Default Opinion...

I still think they'll win 50+ games this season. Do I think they'll win a title? Nah. But I think Dumars will bide his time with the current group plus maybe another bench guy or 2 and in the next 2 years he'll make some huge move that'll launch them back into a title chase. Remember they have Orlando's lottery pick for 2007(top 5 protected), and if they end u getting someone like even Magloire they'll still be damn good. Ben isn't the same player he was. Losing him changes their identity though.

I think the aura of the Detroit Pistons is a bit diminished. They no longe have that invincibility shield around them that they'd had for 2-3 years. They'll still be damn good. Billups was the leader of that team anyways. IMO Ben was second in command.
KempSonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 10:35 PM   #23
HALLandOATES
Local High School Star

Quote:
They'll still be damn good. Billups was the leader of that team anyways. IMO Ben was second in command.
I agree with everything else you said but B Wallace was more like the 3rd guy in comand or even 4th. I'd rather have Hammy and C Billups over him.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:52 PM   #24
KempSonics
Local High School Star

Default ...

In terms of leadership Billups was no.1. I think Ben was number 2. I don't know about the leadership qualities of Rip,Sheed and Tayshaun. Tayshaun is quiet. Sheed seems like he's more of the crazy general type. Not sure about how Rip is in lockerroom situations. They also had battle tested vets like Lindsey Hunter and Dale Davis. McDyess too.
KempSonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 10:56 PM   #25
AKADS
Decent college freshman

Why does everyone think the Pistons will all be as good as they were this yr. Billups had a career yr. Rip had a great season. Prince was allowed to just fill the holes and play his game. Sheed got to shoot 3s all game and no one had to worry about rebounding to much. McDyess is a good player but is not goin to be able to play more the 25 minutes a game. Nazr is not enough to help all these players the way Big Ben did.

Big Ben 35.2 MPG | PPG 7.3 | RPG 11.3 | BPG 2.2 | SPG 1.8
While playing against the others teams best post player.

Nazr 17.4 MPG | PPG 6.2 | RPG 5.2 | BPG 0.6 | SPG 0.3
Even when he did start he didn't have to always gaurd the best player and was seriously protected by Tim Duncan.

The problem I have with Detriot is they are getting worse and older while other teams are making move to get better.

Cleveland with LeBron is better next yr.
Chicago is a lot better with Tyrus, Wallce, there core having more experience.
Milwaukee got a good PF and is still looking to move Magloire.
Orlando showed how good they can be at the end of the year.
Miami might be a little weaker with an older Shaq but DWade is still young.
New Jersey had a great draft to help there bench.
Washington is goin to be a 42 - 45 win team with there 3 headed monster.
Indy&Philly is a question mark for me

Toronto, Boston could both make a serious push at the playoffs.

Bottom Line the East is getting a lot better then it was even 2 yrs ago.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:44 PM   #26
houselog442
I airball my layups

The definatly think the Pistons have climbed a slow him that reached the top in 2004 and then slowly start going down hill after that. What I dont understand is why did they give the midlevel exception to Nazr, I think a better choice would have been Reggie Evens. He is the only only player i have seen in the league that is in Wallace's league in what he brings. The main diference with him is Big Ben is a shot blocker, and Reggie Evens is the best flopper in the league, which actually makes him a better matchup than Big Ben against Shaq cause floppers absolutely irratate Shaq. Before everyone starts comparing stats, i think of Reggie Evens as a Ben Wallace when he was in Orlando, not getting a full chance, but enough to show some of his defensive capabilities.
houselog442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 12:31 AM   #27
HALLandOATES
Local High School Star

Quote:
Why does everyone think the Pistons will all be as good as they were this yr. Billups had a career yr. Rip had a great season. Prince was allowed to just fill the holes and play his game. Sheed got to shoot 3s all game and no one had to worry about rebounding to much. McDyess is a good player but is not goin to be able to play more the 25 minutes a game. Nazr is not enough to help all these players the way Big Ben did.

Big Ben 35.2 MPG | PPG 7.3 | RPG 11.3 | BPG 2.2 | SPG 1.8
While playing against the others teams best post player.

Nazr 17.4 MPG | PPG 6.2 | RPG 5.2 | BPG 0.6 | SPG 0.3
Even when he did start he didn't have to always gaurd the best player and was seriously protected by Tim Duncan.

The problem I have with Detriot is they are getting worse and older while other teams are making move to get better.

Cleveland with LeBron is better next yr.
Chicago is a lot better with Tyrus, Wallce, there core having more experience.
Milwaukee got a good PF and is still looking to move Magloire.
Orlando showed how good they can be at the end of the year.
Miami might be a little weaker with an older Shaq but DWade is still young.
New Jersey had a great draft to help there bench.
Washington is goin to be a 42 - 45 win team with there 3 headed monster.
Indy&Philly is a question mark for me

Toronto, Boston could both make a serious push at the playoffs.

Bottom Line the East is getting a lot better then it was even 2 yrs ago.

50 wins not 60
Old 07-06-2006, 12:07 PM   #28
NBAfan32
High school junior varsity star

Pistons arent elite anymore. They lost the guy who anchored their defense and dont expect much from Nazr either. Billups, Prince, RIP and Sheed would still get you 47-53Wins but i dont see them as contenders anymore.
NBAfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 12:20 PM   #29
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

When Nazr actually starts, which he didn't last year, he gets 8 RPG and just over 1 block per game. So we go from 11 to 8, plus Dyess will play more who's a good rebounder and we still have DD who's 3.5 million expiring contract we can trade or actually play him. He did start for the Pacers most of the year before we signed him.

We have a lot of young talent, if just one of them can contribute, likely being Carlos Delfino, it would be a huge boost to the bench. There's Maxiel, Acker, Amir Johnson, and Carlos Delfino. Delfino and J-Max would be the candidates to make a hefty contribution.

You must have seen the playoffs last year, and even the year before. Wallace is not the same guy. I would have loved to have him for 1, maybe 2 years, but the dude is in decline.

Our offense will get even better with Dyess. Only Chicago can come up and challenge Detroit and Miami as tops, but they sitll lack dominate inside scoring, which is what they needed, and in case you havent' noticed, defense isn't exactly the benchmark of the new NBA, it's scoring. Pistons will have a much better offense.

Prolly won't be as good, but there's no way they drop that far.

Every team is a serious injury away from struggling to compete for the playoffs.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: