Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 05-22-2007, 05:14 AM   #31
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Kblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Go for it Hawks, sign Theodorus Papaloukas

Im not buying into the great euro point coming over and dominating again after Saranus(Ibet I spelled that wrong). I watched him almost win the gold at the buzzer in 2000 and then beat team USA almost on his own in 04. Hed won back to back titles and many called him the best guard not in the NBA. He comes over and now hes the 3rd string point on a 41 win team after being 3rd string as a Pacer. Not even like he had a coach who wouldnt "get" his game.

If a super talented euro point cant get into the game on Don Nelsons team there is a problem. I know Baron is there but he doesnt even get garbage time.

I dont know if the highlights and international play made me overrate him or if hes just been in terrible situations but...I take a "Wait and see" approach now.

International dominance just doesnt make you good in the league. Very different games.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 05:29 AM   #32
Sharas
Great college starter

Sharas is considered somewhat coolSharas is considered somewhat coolSharas is considered somewhat cool

way, way, way different mold of player than sharas jasikevicius. don't know if it's for better or worse in nba. but there's only one way we can know
Sharas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 08:43 AM   #33
Psileas
NBA lottery pick

Psileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Doesnt matter....no one in America for the most part knows about this guy.

Not to start a flame war, but Americans were never known about their knowledge on non-American topics. Steve Nash in 2006 asked him to exchange jerseys. Not even vice-versa. I'll take Nash' knowledge over people's who still don't know that great basketball is played overseas, as well.

Quote:
Hyping him up like its been written is cute and dandy but the bottomline is? He is an unknown euro here. I'm not convinced nor moved by his accomplishments. But yes send the 30yr old over here. See how "impactful" he can/will be. He'll have to make me eat my words before i listen to the hype of a select few who know of/about him overseas. Period.

I don't really need to hype anything. I've watched the guy play dozens of times. He's proved he can play at a high level, however he fares in the NBA. Sabonis didn't do anything really special for his standards and he's considered the GOAT European by many. Drazen Petrovic was a legend way before playing in the NBA. So are players who never played.

Quote:
Im not buying into the great euro point coming over and dominating again after Saranus(Ibet I spelled that wrong). I watched him almost win the gold at the buzzer in 2000 and then beat team USA almost on his own in 04. Hed won back to back titles and many called him the best guard not in the NBA. He comes over and now hes the 3rd string point on a 41 win team after being 3rd string as a Pacer. Not even like he had a coach who wouldnt "get" his game.

If a super talented euro point cant get into the game on Don Nelsons team there is a problem. I know Baron is there but he doesnt even get garbage time.

I dont know if the highlights and international play made me overrate him or if hes just been in terrible situations but...I take a "Wait and see" approach now.

International dominance just doesnt make you good in the league. Very different games.

It's a matter of the coach and his beliefs, basically. Anyone who's seen Sarunas play serious minutes as a No1 option knows that Tony Parker is not THAT much better than him. Or even Steve Nash, for that matter. What did Nash do during his first years? No-one gave a **** back then. And how did he suddenly turn from a marginal All-Star to an MVP? Did he suddenly learn the secret of playing like an MVP at 31? A guy can literally rejuvenate a team while making zero progress if his coach changes some of his beliefs.

You also say you're not impressed by a Euro doing this and that in European competition. That's OK. But everything matters. France has a lot of NBAers and many of them probably impress you more. Turkey, as well. Greece had zero NBAers. Lithuania of the last years had only a few failed cases. Guess what: Turkey played their bestbasketball without their big names playing. France is just a good team, who get their asses handed to them by Greece every single time they meet. And Lithouania is a consistant basketball powerhouse, with or without NBAers. They beat USA. By doing so, they proved once again that statements like "what they did outside the NBA doesn't matter" is false.

Last edited by Psileas : 05-22-2007 at 08:46 AM.
Psileas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 09:25 AM   #34
adamcz
Bucks fan

adamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cool

If Memphis offers something unmatchable for Mo Williams ($10 million a year), I could see the Bucks trying to grab a veteran like this as a cheaper option. Age 30 just means he has 3-5 years left, but that's fine. You draft a replacement sometime in the next few years, or sign another one afterward. I'd much rather keep Mo Williams who has already proven himself in the NBA, but with Redd on a max contract, 9-10 million for Mo would be too much money spent on the backcourt.
adamcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 01:42 PM   #35
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psileas
Not to start a flame war, but Americans were never known about their knowledge on non-American topics. Steve Nash in 2006 asked him to exchange jerseys. Not even vice-versa. I'll take Nash' knowledge over people's who still don't know that great basketball is played overseas, as well.

So what happens if this guy comes to America. And doesnt improve a franchise like he is typed up to be?
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 01:44 PM   #36
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharas
ask team usa how good he is.
IMO, if hawks don't manage to draft conley AND can get him for mid-range exception - they should get him.

he's point guard in truest sense of the word, very few players at any level can rival his gift for running the offense, basketball IQ and passing skills. way he manages to get to the basket despitephysical limitations reminds me of sam cassell. he's proven leader and clutch player. however his athleticism isn't that good and shooting skills are quite average.

If he is so good then why doesnt he play for the NBA? Let me guess he plays for a club owned by a mob that has him under contract and made his buyout impossible to lure overseas?

Smells like these foreign boxers who never leave home to come here in America and showcase thier skills. Always fighting in thier backyard.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:01 PM   #37
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
Im not buying into the great euro point coming over and dominating again after Saranus...
Forgot all about that guy. Every once and a while its nice to be able to pat yourself on the back and say I told you so.

Still remember being called a "euro h-eight-er" for saying Sarunas wouldn't be particularly good in the NBA.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 02:16 PM   #38
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da KO King
Forgot all about that guy. Every once and a while its nice to be able to pat yourself on the back and say I told you so.

Still remember being called a "euro h-eight-er" for saying Sarunas wouldn't be particularly good in the NBA.

Your thoughts on this 30yr old PG destined to make a team better?
Old 05-22-2007, 02:16 PM   #39
Lebron23
Most Valuable Player

Lebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Cavs should sign Theodorus Papaloukas, The Cavaliers needs a tall, athletic PG that can shoot the lights out of any opponent in the NBA.

By the way the Cavaliers are composed of International Player.
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 02:27 PM   #40
The_Masterplan
Banned

The_Masterplan has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Overrating an unknown euro. Stop it.

How can you overrate a player that is unknown to you?
The_Masterplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 02:30 PM   #41
qrich
King Heno

qrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by final.wrath
gobb you spend all day on your computer being mean and argumentative. you need help. you call people "kid" so you feel superior. You jump from thread to thread and bully people, constantly defending your supremecy on the board. That is until the next time a mod gets annoyed enough to ban you again and you resort to another alias. grow up.

YOU'RE the one who doesn't know anything about him. If you don't want to read up on him or watch any game footage then fine. But then don't act like you have anything knowledgable to contribute to the conversation.

Don't even bother talking to gobb, it's like talking to a brick wall, he thinks he knows everything, yet he knows so little, so he resorts to baiting/attacking posters to make himself feel important. It's pathetic really.

As far as Theo goes, CSKA hopefully won't let him go, as he is a main piece to the team, although he can come in and make a solid impact in the association. Reportedly, I've heard that the Clippers and Spurs are chasing him, along with him having spoken to the Pistons before. Nash also has a ton of respect for him, so there IS a reason that at least three teams are chasing him, mainly the SPURS and possibly the PISTONS as well, along with him being respected by the Two-Time MVP in Steve Nash. Sure, Theo won't come in and be a 9assist guy, nor change a franchise around, but he could improve a team, and can be the guy to put a team over the hump to take it all.
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 02:31 PM   #42
Sharas
Great college starter

Sharas is considered somewhat coolSharas is considered somewhat coolSharas is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
If he is so good then why doesnt he play for the NBA? Let me guess he plays for a club owned by a mob that has him under contract and made his buyout impossible to lure overseas?

Smells like these foreign boxers who never leave home to come here in America and showcase thier skills. Always fighting in thier backyard.

you're overreacting as always.

i didn't say that he's going to be next big *insert something*. i'm listing his flaws along with his strengths. but i'm quite sure he could start for team like hawks, or come off the bench for someone better.

many good players don't play in nba. why would anyone even look at international pool, if all good ballers are already in nba? anthony parker played in europe for five years, he's 31 now, and he's serviceable nba starter. garbajosa is also 31. herrmann, nocioni, calderon, charlie bell, they all spent better part of their career in europe.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:12 PM   #43
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharas
you're overreacting as always.

i didn't say that he's going to be next big *insert something*. i'm listing his flaws along with his strengths. but i'm quite sure he could start for team like hawks, or come off the bench for someone better.

many good players don't play in nba. why would anyone even look at international pool, if all good ballers are already in nba? anthony parker played in europe for five years, he's 31 now, and he's serviceable nba starter. garbajosa is also 31. herrmann, nocioni, calderon, charlie bell, they all spent better part of their career in europe.

Overreacting to someone thinking he could impact the Hawks and get them to the playoffs? Uhh ok.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:15 PM   #44
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Masterplan
How can you overrate a player that is unknown to you?

You're a little boy. When you hit pubety then you can address me and I'll address you back. Until then? Your replies to me are silly.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:17 PM   #45
Sharas
Great college starter

Quote:
Overreacting to someone thinking he could impact the Hawks and get them to the playoffs? Uhh ok.

you made that up. i didn't say so. and i don't mean so.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: