Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 05-21-2007, 04:54 PM   #31
John Starks
National High School Star

John Starks has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Jazz-Spurs series draw record lows in audience

1) Unfair to compare Det-Cleve GAME 7 to a Game 1. Really.

2) Poor scheduling...3:30.

3) Brutal promotion. I watch my fair share of ABC and I didn't see 1 stinking ad for the WCF this week. ZERO. Maybe people would watch if the KNEW IT WAS ON

4) ABC/ESPN has done an awful job managing the ABC package. We all KNOW that SA will play big playoff games - yet ABC/ESN does nothing to promote them - like give them a ton of national sunday games. Or create an interest in good teams during the season - I don't think the Jazz were on once. Cleve and Det were on a bit - but not as much as the Lakers.

Want ratings - make the teams that will be playing deep in the playoffs famous during the regular season. Make the Sunday schedule flexible so that when its clear that Miami stinks, you can switch that game out for a Utah-Hou (for example) game which could be more compelling. Give us more national sunday games -- give us double-headers EVERY SUNDAY in March.

5) Lower your expctations for a SA game 1 - we all know where that's going.
John Starks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 05:05 PM   #32
skillswithaz
I bust ghosts

skillswithaz has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nero
Spurs need to play up their new found bad boy image to get some appeal or they'll get hosed next year. More dirty plays from Bruce. More body checks from Horry. Acquire a thug in the offseason. I know Parker has the personality to be a cocky bastard. Needs to use that more and hobnob with his wife's celebrity freinds. Hit the red carpet Tony! Manu is very emotional and comes up with flashy plays -- both good and bad. I don't know what's not to like there. TD can't be helped. Trade their uniforms in for shiny silver ones.

Trade Tim Duncan and Michael Finley for Lebron James
skillswithaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 05:10 PM   #33
John Starks

Here's one more - its the conf. finals - Lost, and Housewives are over, how about give the boys some network prime-time. The 3.0 will become a 6.0 just from being on at night...and not Sat night - Tues-Wed-Thurs night on ABC. Let people start ot watch Games 2-3-4 so by the time we get to game 6, there is a following.

No - sorry, ABC has to show f-ing Nat'l Bingo Night.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:12 PM   #34
AceVenturaPetDet
Local High School Star

AceVenturaPetDet has an OK reputation so far

Tim duncan needs to do something weird like laugh at the referees again, or body check his own teammate, maybe Eva Longoria can give a lap dance to Stern, or Jacque Vaughn finally tell Tony and Eva that he's up for adoption.
AceVenturaPetDet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 05:13 PM   #35
The_Masterplan
Banned

The_Masterplan has an OK reputation so far

You're a dumbass. The ratings of thise game were the same as the last two games of the spurs-suns series.
The_Masterplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 05:18 PM   #36
DaCommish
I brick open layups

DaCommish has an OK reputation so far

"Now, three years later, people know that there is a more entertaining product. That basketball with predictable offenses and scores in the low 80s is not a requirement of the playoffs. That teams can actually appear to have fun while playing, that games can be vibrant and have people jump out of their seats. After being tantalized with a Phoenix/Golden State Conference Final, casual and even many NBA fans will tune out -- almost in protest -- of a series that could very well set basketball back to 1999-2004 levels."

Uhhh...I hate to be the one to say this, but if the Phoenix/Golden State brand of basketball is sooooooo much better, then why are all of those teams currently on vacation? I mean, please, this is the 2nd time San Antonio has beat a full-throttle Phoenix team. Last time Amare was averaging almost 40 ppg, Diaw was the MIP, Nash was the MVP and the team still got swept by the slow, boring, plodding Spurs (No, I'm not an SA fan either). Are you people saying that the most entertaining team should go to the Finals? If so, we should hold a talent show, "Ballin' With the Stars", where teams can dazzle judges with uncontested alley-oops, behind-the-back passes, and 3-point shot after 3-point shot...if that sounds familiar, that's because it's the All-Star Game. Doesn't the ASG always have low ratings because there is a decided lack of team play and everyone is just trying to make the highlight reel?

What it sounds like to me is a bunch of babies crying cuz their team didn't make it...and that, to me, is getting really boring
DaCommish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 05:20 PM   #37
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Only thing the NBA should do is change the seeding. No way a 1 and 2 should face off in the 2nd round. Other than that? Why be concerned with these ratings? Oh because it exposes how lame fans can be? Posers perhaps? Spurs fans cant even sellout a homegame in the WCF. Reminds me of the Braves fans in the playoffs. Ah well. I'll watch who cares who doesnt. If you claim they lose money? Thats easy to overcome by hiking up the prices.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 05:23 PM   #38
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

totally agree with you GOBB. Casual fans, for the most part, are lame. They only see the highlight plays on sportscenter. They think the league is all about dunking, behind the back passes, and three pointers, They fail to realize good fundamentals when they see them. The hardcore baskeball fans appreciate things such as good defense, good footwork, good spacing on the court, smart plays, bank shots, etc.
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 05:23 PM   #39
John Starks

These are the Nationally televised ABC games this season - I'll highlight those by our western semi finalists

Date Time Teams Play-by-play Color Rating Viewers +/-
2006-12-25 2:30 p.m Los Angeles Lakers 85,
Miami Heat 101
2007-01-21 1:00 p.m Dallas Mavericks 99,
Miami Heat 93
2007-01-28 1:00 p.m Phoenix Suns 115,
Cleveland Cavaliers 100
3:30 p.m San Antonio Spurs 96,
Los Angeles Lakers 94

2007-02-04 2:30 p.m Detroit Pistons 90,
Cleveland Cavaliers 78
2007-02-11 1:00 p.m. San Antonio Spurs 85,
Miami Heat 100

3:30 p.m Los Angeles Lakers 90,
Cleveland Cavaliers 99
2007-02-25 1:00 p.m Chicago Bulls 93,
Detroit Pistons 95
Cleveland Cavaliers 81,
Miami Heat 86
2007-03-04 3:30 p.m Los Angeles Lakers vs.
Phoenix Suns
2007-03-11 3:30 p.m Denver Nuggets vs.
Sacramento Kings
2007-03-18 3:30 p.m Dallas Mavericks vs.
Detroit Pistons
2007-03-25 3:30 p.m Phoenix Suns vs.
Sacramento Kings
2007-04-01 1:00 p.m. Miami Heat vs.
Detroit Pistons
3:30 p.m Dallas Mavericks vs.
Phoenix Suns
2007-04-08 1:00 p.m. Cleveland Cavaliers vs.
Detroit Pistons
3:30 p.m Phoenix Suns vs.
Los Angeles Lakers
2007-04-15 1:00 p.m. Chicago Bulls vs.
Washington Wizards
3:30 p.m San Antonio Spurs vs.
Dallas Mavericks

Wait a sec - SA and Utah were on nat'l TV a combined 3 (THREE!) times out of 20 over the entire season and there is 0 interest in them now??? I wonder why.

By contrast - the 1st round Lakers were on 5 times, including the X-mas game. did any executive anywhere think that would help the playoff ratings beyond the 1st round?

Last edited by John Starks : 05-21-2007 at 05:31 PM.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:25 PM   #40
DaCommish
I brick open layups

DaCommish has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Only thing the NBA should do is change the seeding. No way a 1 and 2 should face off in the 2nd round. Other than that? Why be concerned with these ratings? Oh because it exposes how lame fans can be? Posers perhaps? Spurs fans cant even sellout a homegame in the WCF. Reminds me of the Braves fans in the playoffs. Ah well. I'll watch who cares who doesnt. If you claim they lose money? Thats easy to overcome by hiking up the prices.

This problem was fixed this year. If you'll recall, there used to be a team called the Mavericks that everyone thought was so good . Phoenix and SA are the 2/3 match-up.
DaCommish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 05:29 PM   #41
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaCommish
This problem was fixed this year. If you'll recall, there used to be a team called the Mavericks that everyone thought was so good . Phoenix and SA are the 2/3 match-up.

Dallas should have been demoted from a 1 to a 3. :
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 05:31 PM   #42
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

MaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this board

At the very least, at least people can't accuse Stern of fixing the playoffs so that a specific team wins. If that were the case, he'd have tried his best to make sure the Suns and Warriors have advanced. Look on the bright side, there's integrity...
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 05:34 PM   #43
eliteballer
NBA rookie of the year

eliteballer has a terrific reputationeliteballer has a terrific reputationeliteballer has a terrific reputationeliteballer has a terrific reputationeliteballer has a terrific reputation

Stern has promoted the league based too much on flashy superstars. People don't appreciate good team basketball and competition.
eliteballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 05:47 PM   #44
John Starks

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliteballer
Stern has promoted the league based too much on flashy superstars. People don't appreciate good team basketball and competition.

So you'd agree that the Lakers got too much TV time at the expense ofthe Spurs?
Old 05-21-2007, 07:14 PM   #45
icemanfan
Local High School Star

icemanfan is considered somewhat coolicemanfan is considered somewhat coolicemanfan is considered somewhat cool

By all means if you don't like them, don't watch, don't cry, don't *****, don't whine and stop even thinking about them. Bad enough that they pwn your ass and they don't even know you. I guess obsesion is more than just a fragrance from Klien. Like I said before I do not care about the rest of the country. The NBA has changed the rules repeatedly in order to prevent the Spurs (and Pistons) from advancing and yet it still fails to work. Perhaps they should make Pop coach for NY Knicks. Give Pop the Knicks GM spot and in three years they would be in the finals. Pop gets no respect but the guy has done more with other teams cast offs, low first round picks and 2nd round picks than anyone...oh ya and one lotto #1.
icemanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: