Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Detroit Pistons Forum

Detroit Pistons Forum Detroit Pistons message board - pistons fan forum

Old 07-06-2006, 06:38 PM   #16
bagelred
My team always wins

Remember, the jury is still out on Darko. Three years later, we STILL don't know what this guy can do. Pistons never bothered finding out....
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 09:43 PM   #17
KempSonics
Local High School Star

Default ...

The fact that Dumars traded Darko during the middle of the season to free cap space for Ben proves that he thought for sure Ben Wallace was resigning. He had no reason to think Ben was leaving. They were on pace to win over 70 games at the time. I guess he overestimated Ben's character. Sellout.
KempSonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 09:50 PM   #18
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

Obviously. Darko would actually making losing Ben not that huge of a deal at all, he'll still give you the shotblocking that Ben did, it's just that you'll lose out on rebounding... but you'll gain Darko's passing and shooting touch. It's arguably an upgrade for a team that is already so great defensively (assuming, of course, that Darko continues to improve), especially long term.

Detroit got screwed real bad. Got impatient with it.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 09:52 PM   #19
GoRapz
Fire Dwane Casey

well as a GM, you gotta be prepared for the worst case scenario's.

Dumars is a great GM, i'm sure he'll find a way to fix this.
GoRapz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 09:57 PM   #20
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

How long has Dumars been with the Pistons? Other than the Sheed miracle job, and drafting Prince, what else has he done. Was he responsible for Rip and Chauncey, too? And Ben?
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 10:27 PM   #21
ego1970
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Joe's plan for Darko was flawed from the get go. I'm sure he has a lot of regrets about Darko. For him to think this kid would be ok with sitting on the bench for three years while learning a completely different style of play was so misguided and doomed from the beginning. The Pistons never wanted Darko. They wanted a dominant low post player. They saw all of Darko's amazing physical skills and figured they could change him from Dirk into Shaq. Stupid.

I think Joe regrets hiring Flip more then trading Darko. Flip has as much to do with Ben leaving as the money. Going into this season Ben was very happy in Detroit and was so confident about staying that he fired his agent. Shortly after Joe traded Darko, Ben shocked everyone by hiring a cut throat agent Arn Tellem. The reason Ben decided to hire an agent was because he had become frustrated in Flip's system. Flip payed no attention to defense and his system called for long jump shots. This made it very difficult to set the defense and Ben felt out of place. If we had a more defensive minded coach Ben probably would have taken a little less money to stay.
ego1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 10:29 PM   #22
WADE MONEY
I hit open jumpers.

darko with ben's hunger, nastiness, and confidence = prime shaq with a jump shot and 80% FT percentage
WADE MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 10:29 PM   #23
bagelred
My team always wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ego1970
Joe's plan for Darko was flawed from the get go. I'm sure he has a lot of regrets about Darko. For him to think this kid would be ok with sitting on the bench for three years while learning a completely different style of play was so misguided and doomed from the beginning. The Pistons never wanted Darko. They wanted a dominant low post player. They saw all of Darko's amazing physical skills and figured they could change him from Dirk into Shaq. Stupid.

I think Joe regrets hiring Flip more then trading Darko. Flip has as much to do with Ben leaving as the money. Going into this season Ben was very happy in Detroit and was so confident about staying that he fired his agent. Shortly after Joe traded Darko, Ben shocked everyone by hiring a cut throat agent Arn Tellem. The reason Ben decided to hire an agent was because he had become frustrated in Flip's system. Flip payed no attention to defense and his system called for long jump shots. This made it very difficult to set the defense and Ben felt out of place. If we had a more defensive minded coach Ben probably would have taken a little less money to stay.

You can say that Ben "flipped" out to Chicago...

LOLOLOLOLOL.....good one bagel.....
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 10:30 PM   #24
KnicksFan4Life
Banned

Ofcourse he regrets it now that Ben is gone
KnicksFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 10:30 PM   #25
ExpatSunsFan
Local High School Star

Yup, Dumars blew it.

Looking back, he should have torn up the team immediately after re-signing Sheed--get rid of Larry Brown, dump Big Ben, not sign Antonio McDyess, and keep Okur and Darko at F/C next to Sheed, getting big minutes guaranteed (and damn the results).

I think everybody can understand why he didn't do it, though.

The Darko era was over the moment Dumars signed McDyess. There's no excuse for trading him to Orlando, though, or for waiting until he got zip in return.
ExpatSunsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 10:30 PM   #26
g12affix
I airball my layups

Default RE

Quote:
Was he responsible for Rip and Chauncey, too? And Ben?

actually he was responsible for bringing in these guys after he retired from playing & got the gm job.
g12affix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 11:07 PM   #27
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

Yes he got RIP, Chauncey, and Ben. Well, Ben was a gift but he still got him. He drafted Memo, Tayshaun, signed Dyess, released Hunter and got him back on waivers, same with Elden, got rid of Scorlis and Arroyo thankfully, signed DD who was the Pacers starter although doesn't play anymore, got a 1st rounder Mateen, got a 1st rounder for Rodney white when he realized both sucked, gave Ricky C his first job, dumped his ass for LB in a heart beat, etc. I'm sure there's more, he's made a lot of right decisions.

And we didn't lose Darko for nothin, we got a lottery pick (top 5 protected) and freed up nearly 9 million in cap space.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 11:12 PM   #28
WildStyle
High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
And we didn't lose Darko for nothin, we got a lottery pick (top 5 protected) and freed up nearly 9 million in cap space.

No, you got a first round pick. What makes you so sure it will be a lottery pick?
WildStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 11:47 PM   #29
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

Because Orlando isn't all that good and likely wont' make the playoffs, but also likely not have a record in the bottom 5. I would predict the 8-12 pick. Maybe they would overtake the Wizards? But that would be quite a fall for them from 5 to 9.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 11:57 PM   #30
KempSonics
Local High School Star

Default ...

The Darko fiasco aside I think Dumars is one of the best GM in SPORTS. Yes in sports. My reasoning:

1.) Days after he took the GM job his franchise player bolted for Orlando. The Pistons were screwed. They lost their best player and were stuck with horrible contracts(Laettner, Vaught, etc). He guts all those contracts somehow. He dumps them all on Mark Cuban.

2.) With the cap space he has he sees promise in an unknown...Ben Wallace. Teams are offering Ben 2.25 mill on a short term deal. Dumars goes out on a limb and signs him to a 6 yr deal worth over 30 million. Wallace becomes a star and the rest is history.

3.) He hires Carlisle. This guy built the defensive foundation for the Pistons. And instilled the gritty style they ended up with. Dumars can't get Webber so he gets Cliff Robinson. They trade for Jon Barry. They trade for Big Nasty=6th man of the year. Ben=DPOY. They win 50 games and are the surprise team in the league.

4.) Dumars makes a ballsy move. He trades favorite Jerry Stackhouse for young Richard Hamilton. Pistons fans are probably freaking out. They had just won 50 games. Dumars spends the full MLE on a nomad PG.....Chauncey Billups. He hands this guy the reigns. With an end of the 1st round pick he selects Tayshaun Prince. He also drafted Okur the previous year.

5.) He fires Carlisle. Still to this day no one knows what was up with that. My friend in Detroit told me that the owner didn't like Rick C. Hires Larry Brown.

6.) Trades a bunch of spare parts and draft picks for Rasheed Wallace. They win a title. Sheed was the missing link. They also got Mike James in that trade.

The Pistons were supposed to be garbage for years. No one wanted to play there and fan interest was waning. Instead he turned them into winners in 1 friggin year. He got them a title in 3 years. They won over 50 games for 5 straight years. They made the ECF'S for 4 years in a row. They probably were in a great position to win another title. I guess ben Wallace had other ideas.
KempSonics is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: