Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-22-2007, 06:24 PM   #1
A-MATT
Banned

A-MATT has an OK reputation so far
Default I need help getting faster, any tips

Im 16 and i am going to play football and basketball at a new school(varsity) .

Imma play Kickoff return and WR in football, and PG in basketball.

I am 5'8 and 140 pounds going to the 11th and i want to have gamebreaking speed in football, kind of like my idol, Ted Ginn( thats why imma wear number 7) and in basketball i wanna shoot past my defender.

Any tips,

Thanks
A-MATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 06:26 PM   #2
DAXX
Serious playground baller

DAXX has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: I need help getting faster, any tips

Run about 5 laps in a real track in the morning. Stretch regularly and keep eating healthy food. Take my word.
DAXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 06:29 PM   #3
A-MATT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAXX
Run about 5 laps in a real track in the morning. Stretch regularly and keep eating healthy food. Take my word.

i will, thanks.

hey what does ankle weights do?

instead of running 5 laps on a track can run 5 laps around my block?
Old 05-22-2007, 06:31 PM   #4
KINGofTHEcourt
Banned

KINGofTHEcourt has an OK reputation so far

5'8" 140 pounds playing varsity WR? In Texas no less. Sorry, but that sound like a JV player to me. I'm 5'8" 175 pounds and I don't play varsity WR, its probably because i'm already on the defense but thats beside the point.

Anyway, you should run the stadium stairs down and back 5 times a day this summer, with about 3-5 minutes rest in between each. Also, there are drills on the track that you can do that will strengthen all leg muscles, that you'll be able to find on www.runnersworld.com.

A good diet may not seem like much, but it will do wonders for your speed and energy.

Good luck.

Ankle weights suck BTW, don't use them, they can cause injury.
KINGofTHEcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 06:31 PM   #5
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-MATT
i will, thanks.

hey what does ankle weights do?

instead of running 5 laps on a track can run 5 laps around my block?
dont run with ankle weights. Bad idea, since it overemphasizes one set of muscles at the expense of the others.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 06:33 PM   #6
A-MATT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGofTHEcourt
5'8" 140 pounds playing varsity WR? In Texas no less. Sorry, but that sound like a JV player to me. I'm 5'8" 175 pounds and I don't play varsity WR, its probably because i'm already on the defense but thats beside the point.

Anyway, you should run the stadium stairs down and back 5 times a day this summer, with about 3-5 minutes rest in between each. Also, there are drills on the track that you can do that will strengthen all leg muscles, that you'll be able to find on www.runnersworld.com.

A good diet may not seem like much, but it will do wonders for your speed and energy.

Good luck.

Ankle weights suck BTW, don't use them, they can cause injury.

thanks

that aight nothing, its this dude that plays on the team that is 5'2 and weighs 125.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:34 PM   #7
A-MATT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
dont run with ankle weights. Bad idea, since it overemphasizes one set of muscles at the expense of the others.

whats the purpose of ankle weights anyway
Old 05-22-2007, 06:40 PM   #8
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
they can help improve your vertical if you practice jumping with them
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 07:06 PM   #9
Randy
NBA sixth man of the year

Randy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Im 16 and i am going to play football and basketball at a new school(varsity) .

Imma play Kickoff return and WR in football, and PG in basketball.

I am 5'8 and 140 pounds going to the 11th and i want to have gamebreaking speed in football, kind of like my idol, Ted Ginn( thats why imma wear number 7) and in basketball i wanna shoot past my defender.

Any tips,

Thanks

Power clean, combo cleans, snatches, agility ladders, and 40 yd sprints should become your best friends. Try this if you want, it will add quickness, agility, footspeed and vert. Three times a week, Mon-Weds-Fri. You can lift upper body on Tue-Thurs if you want, rest on the weekends. And ALWAYS warm up first.

Monday
- 1 set of 8 cleans (of any variation), then immediately go sprint three 40 yd. dashes
- Repeat twice for a total of 3 sets and nine sprints
- Finish the day with a variation of agility ladder exercises

Wednesday
- Same deal but now replace the cleans with Squats
- So 8 squats, then 3 sprints for total of 3 sets
Friday
- Same but now do split squats or lunges before your sprints.
- Finish the day with the agility ladder
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 07:11 PM   #10
A-MATT
Banned

is this o.k.

i just walked 4 laps and on the 5th lap i ran.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:15 PM   #11
Randy

Randy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
is this o.k.

i just walked 4 laps and on the 5th lap i ran.

To put it bluntly: No. That will do absolutely nothing for you if your goal is to improve you athletic abilities. If that is your off-season workout, you will be in trouble next year.

Real, significant gains will require you put in difficult and ass kicking work in both the weight room and on the track.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:16 PM   #12
A-MATT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
To put it bluntly: No. That will do absolutely nothing for you if your goal is to improve you athletic abilities. If that is your off-season workout, you will be in trouble next year.

Real, significant gains will require you put in difficult and ass kicking work in both the weight room and on the track.

o.k. i get it now

what about eating habits.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:18 PM   #13
Rameek
Krust Kingz

Rameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this board

Quote:
but you cant use heavy weights because it will cause your ligaments and tendons to stretch and eventually it will tear.
speed is not really something that you can drastically improve. For example Jerry Rice and Curtis Martin have mountain running stadium running but it never made them any faster. These 2 people had the money and time to improve upon there speed and it never happened.
People are fascinated with 40 times and thats such a small guage of speed a literal burst. What you can really try to improve is how long you can keep your top speed for extended distances.
Since you are still young and growing there is still a chance you can gain speed but if you are running the 100 in 11.5 dont expect drop a full second to the 10 range. If someone one tells you otherwise think about the olympics these people have nothing but time money support of a country to improve there speed and they rarely improve that dramatically physically but mostly technique.
Improve your knowledge of the sports, improve your long speed, improve your technique, always work hard, be coachable, maintain confidence!
I played Florida football I know its a religion or the air most people breathe as well in Texas.
GL

Last edited by Rameek : 05-22-2007 at 07:21 PM.
Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 07:22 PM   #14
Randy

Quote:
o.k. i get it now

what about eating habits.

That depends, are you looking to put on weight or stay thin?
Old 05-22-2007, 07:23 PM   #15
A-MATT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
That depends, are you looking to put on weight or stay thin?

put on weight so i can absorb the tackles.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: