Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-26-2007, 01:38 PM   #31
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year

Default Re: UFC 71 Rampage v Chuck Liddell 26th may (This saturday)

I don't know what Zuffa is planning on doing with Pride, but I love what their doing with the UFC. Who cares about the "superbowl of MMA" now? Everyone is going to be under one roof it seems.

Anyone have any thoughts on what they are going to do with Pride? Maybe make it pretty all Japanese with guys like Gomi, Mach, Aoki, Yoshida, Kawjiri, etc. That's the only thing I can think of. Kinda starting it over and putting ever more a Japanese feel into it as before.
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 02:32 PM   #32
TMacsOneGoodEye
College star

I would say all Japanese. It seems their bringing all the best fighters to the UFC. Even the best Japanese fighters like Aoki should come to the UFC. The biggest Pride matches were always Japanese guys like Yoshida and Ogawa, not really the best fighters, but the most marketable in Japan.

My beef with that is, I like Pride more. I like their presentation, their rules, and everything else about them more than I do the UFC.

UFC seems more like WWE to me with the way they try to boost grudge matches while a nu-metal/rap-rock song plays in the background. I liked the pageantry of Pride where it was more about respecting your opponent and showing heart. The Japanese Pride crowds were also awesome, compared to the UFC Vegas crowds. I hate the booing.

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. At least now we will at least get to see the best fight the best.
TMacsOneGoodEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 02:38 PM   #33
fatboy11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMacsOneGoodEye
I would say all Japanese. It seems their bringing all the best fighters to the UFC.

My beef with that is, I like Pride more. I like their presentation, their rules, and everything else about them more than I do the UFC.

UFC seems more like WWE to me with the way they try to boost grudge matches while a nu-metal/rap-rock song plays in the background. I liked the pageantry of Pride where it was more about respecting your opponent and showing heart. The Japanese Pride crowds were also awesome, compared to the UFC Vegas crowds. I hate the booing.

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. At least now we will at least get to see the best fight the best.
I agree. Although I didn't like Pride FC more, I did enjoy the atmosphere it brought. I foolish to think Zuffa would leave all of the non-Japenese staples in Pride.

I would have to say that have always liked the UFC more. Mainly because it is more accessible to me being that it is an American product. I mean, I didn't like that much more, but I did favor it. But I knew that, at one time, the majority of the world's best fighters fought for Pride FC. I know Dana's tricks and such, but I don't get caught up in that. I do feel that without the UFC, Pride wouldn't have seemed as a special. Pride, to me, was that nice vacation you take and the UFC was the everyday world that I'm used.
Old 05-26-2007, 03:23 PM   #34
TMacsOneGoodEye
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy11
I agree. Although I didn't like Pride FC more, I did enjoy the atmosphere it brought. I foolish to think Zuffa would leave all of the non-Japenese staples in Pride.

I would have to say that have always liked the UFC more. Mainly because it is more accessible to me being that it is an American product. I mean, I didn't like that much more, but I did favor it. But I knew that, at one time, the majority of the world's best fighters fought for Pride FC. I know Dana's tricks and such, but I don't get caught up in that. I do feel that without the UFC, Pride wouldn't have seemed as a special. Pride, to me, was that nice vacation you take and the UFC was the everyday world that I'm used.

Yeah, I used to be the same way. When I got into MMA it was all about UFC and I didn't want anything to do with Pride but once I saw some Fedor highlights I was in awe. Then I saw the badasses they had, and I was hooked. That was around the final round of the 2006 OWGP and I watched Final Conflict live from the Japanese feed and saw Cro Cop VS Wand and Barnett VS Nog and then Cro Cop VS Barnett and it was the greatest thing I had ever seen. It wasn't a fight, it was an event, and they treated it like that.

This video Boondock made called Absolute 4 pretty much sums up what was amazing about that whole tournament. http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...72038672978542
Old 05-26-2007, 03:41 PM   #35
Mean Joe Bean
Decent playground baller

Can we watch this on the web?
Mean Joe Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 04:28 PM   #36
Zombles
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMacsOneGoodEye
He's the Welterweight AND Middleweight champ in Pride.

And yes, he will KO Chuck.

But Shogun will KO them both, so it kind of doesn't matter.

I CAN'T WAIT!

Shogun's KOd two guys in his last dozen fights.

Hendo + Chuck have never been KOd.

might be squeezing the nuts a little too hard on this one.
Zombles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 07:22 PM   #37
TMacsOneGoodEye
College star

Uh oh guys, Zombles here! Making sure we're not too much of a fan of certain guys!
Old 05-26-2007, 08:34 PM   #38
Zombles
Local High School Star

My bad, I'll leave you to your irrational groupieism, and casual disrespect of American/UFC fighters.
Old 05-26-2007, 08:54 PM   #39
fatboy11

Anyway.........How about my boy Evan Tanner coming back?

I'm curious to see what he'll have to offer at 36 (?) years old. He's trained with Chute Box USA right now and aims to take the belt from Anderson Silva. I don't really care if he fails or not. He's my favorite fighter and I love his style. I know he'll go all out in the octagon. I'm not expecting much so I won't be let down. I just want to see him fighting again.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:03 PM   #40
TMacsOneGoodEye
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy11
Anyway.........How about my boy Evan Tanner coming back?

I'm curious to see what he'll have to offer at 36 (?) years old. He's trained with Chute Box USA right now and aims to take the belt from Anderson Silva. I don't really care if he fails or not. He's my favorite fighter and I love his style. I know he'll go all out in the octagon. I'm not expecting much so I won't be let down. I just want to see him fighting again.

As you know, he's one of my faves too, I just don't know about his mental state. A loss after his come back could crush him.

I'm hearing September?
Old 05-26-2007, 09:07 PM   #41
Zombles
Local High School Star

It will be good to see Evan back, been a fan of his ever since he stopped Terrel and Baronix2. Watching his fights with Rich and The Crow were tough.

but i don't think he'll get a chance to dethrone Silva. Okami/Franklin/Marquadt will.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:18 PM   #42
D-Wade
Great college starter

Not long to go people. I think i may have a link but you will need to download a player.
D-Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 10:30 PM   #43
jjswifty

I have a link and yes you need a player.
jjswifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 10:42 PM   #44
D-Wade
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjswifty
I have a link and yes you need a player.

What i said lol. What you got a link for? Winamp? VLC?
D-Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 10:46 PM   #45
jjswifty

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Wade
What i said lol. What you got a link for? Winamp? VLC?

I wasnt disagreeing with you. The link is for VLC.
jjswifty is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: