Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 05-22-2007, 10:10 PM   #31
SHADYMILKMAN
Banned

SHADYMILKMAN has not been impressing people
Default Re: Will Stern rig this draft?

we could actually do the math to find the probability of this draft occuring this way....i took statistics in college so i have some idea but i forget a lot of the basics
SHADYMILKMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 10:17 PM   #32
travelmonkey
Can barely lace up my sneakers

travelmonkey has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Joe Bean
If the ping pong balls were totally random, the order should be all over the place. Instead it's in precise order with one or two teams moving up. How much more obvious can it be that its rigged? You'd think the NBA would do a better job at concealing their idiocy...

There is such a thing as random mathematical chance.
You guys really crack me up. Complaining about the draft being rigged is the oldest trick in the book of sour grapes fans who are frustrated their team didn't get a higher pick. I'm convinced that no matter what the lottery results were, unless it went exactly by order of wins, people will complain it's fixed. If NY, Philly or Bos got the top picks people would say it's because they're big markets. If Seattle or Sacramento gets it it's because Stern wants a new arena there. If the Hornets got it, it's to market the team on it's return to New Orleans. If some other teams gets it it's to punish them for supposedly tanking late in the season. No matter how the lottery went people will say it's fixed. But I've never once heard an explanation for how they fix it. Lying about the numbers of balls each team has? Did the guy pick up Boston's ball but say it was Portland's?
Even if the NBA wanted to rig it, which is a rediculous idea in itself, I doubt they could without getting busted. Plus, if there was an inkling of a legitimate suggestion of unfairness, GMs and owners of the disadvantaged teams would be screaming. Not to mention, and it all comes back to this - they don't want to rig it. Stern may have a huge ego but it's not huge enough for him to do something that retarded. One, he'd have to involve at least a few other people in the conspiracy to make it work, and there's the chance those other people would talk. Perhaps sell their story to ESPN for a gazillion bucks. Second, Stern would risk completely destroying his reputation if caught, not to mention absolutely making himself liable to a HUGE civil lawsuit from owners of teams, and from fans. Next, fixing the lottery would be fraud. It's a criminal offense. Stern could have to pay a huge fine and could actually go to jail.
So, what I'm saying is, I could write 10 pages about all the reasons there's simply no way the lottery is rigged. This is just wishful thinking on the part of frustrated fans.
travelmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 10:23 PM   #33
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Hardly frustrated. I've defended "tanking" teams. I've defended people claiming drafts were rigged for certain teams. But now? I dont care the Sixers didnt get lucky. I wanted it but i knew the chances were insanely small. No biterness at all. But what I did see is 3 teams who "tanked" according to fans, media, ryan gomes (boston) end up with the worst possible draft slots...where the %'s of them getting that were small. And the % of all 3 getting it were smaller.

How do you explain it? No one can...too many fans wanna explain why the draft is not rigged. No one wants to acknowledge this is the first time in draft history this has happened. No one cares to acknowledge how controversial the tanking topic was (notice the article posted in another thread). Why? Why not take in the info you have on Sterns reactions, the controversy with teams tanking ontop of the odds milw/bos/memphis getting the worst possible slots? Why cant you add that up and conclude something shaky went on instead of "Hey a strange phenomenon happened. Ah well"?

Thats all I'm asking you do do. You're getting into other topics, arguments, ideas of rigging. I'm sticking to the bold. How can you as a human being not say "You know, while i may not agree i do think that is weird it happened and i have no sound explanation". Why? Answer me. F*ck your 10pgs
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 10:26 PM   #34
travelmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
No one wants to acknowledge this is the first time in draft history this has happened.

Exactly. If it happened every year maybe there's a conspiracy. One time is precisely what is referred to as random chance.
And still no explanation of how they supposedly rigged it.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:30 PM   #35
travelmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
You're getting into other topics, arguments, ideas of rigging.

No. I was simply explaining how, if Stern tried to rig the lottery, it would probably wind up ruining his life. My point was there's no way he'd try it. He has little to gain and everything to lose, and the chances of successfully pulling it off would be next to nothing.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:31 PM   #36
Mean Joe Bean
Decent playground baller

Mean Joe Bean has an OK reputation so far

What's their excuse for not airing the actual ping-pong ball process then? They said the process would confuse the fans. How the ***** would it confuse the fans? Team A's ball pops up? they get #1 pick, Team B's ball pops next, they get #2.. how would this confuse the fans?
Mean Joe Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 10:32 PM   #37
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelmonkey
Exactly. If it happened every year maybe there's a conspiracy. One time is precisely what is referred to as random chance.
And still no explanation of how they supposedly rigged it.

There has NEVER been a controversy about teams tanking along with a player admitting it either. Stern has never had to address the tanking issue like he has any other season since the new system was implemented but this year. Come on!

How they rigged it? Who knows...did they show a live drawing? No. Maybe that needs to happen. To eliminate the "Draft is rigged" theorist who do appear every year. I've never played this card, tanking etc etc. But this draft was too shady and weird. No one can explain how all 3 teams get the worst possible slots. The % of that happened were small for each. Combined? Even smaller. People can choose to shrug this, brush this off but recently a report came out proving the Ewing/NY draft was rigged.

Whats done is done...and i couldnt care less about those 6 franchises. I'm not thinking bout who the Sixers can land, do they trade up. But i couldnt overlook what just happened.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:34 PM   #38
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
What's their excuse for not airing the actual ping-pong ball process then? They said the process would confuse the fans. How the ***** would it confuse the fans? Team A's ball pops up? they get #1 pick, Team B's ball pops next, they get #2.. how would this confuse the fans?

Simple. Team A ball pops up. Its Memphis *toses ball in trash can* Team A ball pops up. Its Memphis again *tosses ball in trash can*. Team A ball pops up. Its Boston *tosses ball in trash can*. Team A ball pops up. Its Portland...we keep it.

Confused u huh? I confused myself typing it.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:34 PM   #39
travelmonkey

Quote:

I agree that explanation seems weak. Personally, I think they like sparking discussions like this one. Nobody of any significance is foolish enough to suggest it's fixed, but all the armchair conspiracy theorists get excited. One thing Stern has certainly "conspired" to do over the years, is just about anything he can to get people talking about the NBA.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:38 PM   #40
Mean Joe Bean
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelmonkey
I agree that explanation seems weak. Personally, I think they like sparking discussions like this one. Nobody of any significance is foolish enough to suggest it's fixed, but all the armchair conspiracy theorists get excited. One thing Stern has certainly "conspired" to do over the years, is just about anything he can to get people talking about the NBA.

Uhh no.. it's evident Stern likes his league in order. Any blemish on the image of the NBA, he'd fix it right away. He's a totalitarian like that. He'd never purposely allow his league to be criticized, to have a blemish on the league's reputation.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:50 PM   #41
SCY
Put yr guns up

SCY has a terrific reputationSCY has a terrific reputationSCY has a terrific reputationSCY has a terrific reputationSCY has a terrific reputation

Yeah, show the actual thing, would remove any suspicion. It confuses the fans, bleh. The fans are pretty confused right now.
SCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 10:52 PM   #42
FPower
Local High School Star

FPower has decent reputation

Quote:
If the ping pong balls were totally random, the order should be all over the place.

Ping pong balls only decide the top three picks. The rest ARE in order.
FPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 10:54 PM   #43
FPower
Local High School Star

FPower has decent reputation

I do like the idea of showing the ping pong balls live though... Just like those daily lotto shows during the news. I can't believe they don't realize that would make better tv.
FPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 10:56 PM   #44
Mean Joe Bean
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPower
Ping pong balls only decide the top three picks. The rest ARE in order.

Then why do they go through the process of showing #4-14 by revealing them slowly by envelope?
Old 05-22-2007, 10:56 PM   #45
Put Back Dunk
TOMMY POINT!

Put Back Dunk has an OK reputation so far

This whole thing is suspect to say the least.

Not only does Memphis Boston and Milwaukee (the "tankers") get pushed back to picks 4,5,6 after all this talk about tanking teams, but also Portland and Seattle - the two teams that are looking to move/get a new stadium suddenly get the top two picks in a two man draft? Come on. This is bull****
Put Back Dunk is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: