Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 07-06-2006, 12:05 AM   #1
demons2005
Local High School Star

demons2005 has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsdemons2005 has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsdemons2005 has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsdemons2005 has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsdemons2005 has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsdemons2005 has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these parts
Default 2nd round = boring

I have been brainstorming ways of improving the ratings of the second round cuz its so boring.

The NBA Draft gets boring in the second round because simply put I could probably beat those players and I am 5'6. I think, if Stern doesnt want to eliminate the second round altogether, it should definitely not be the last thing shown that is anticlimatic.

NBA Draft should build up not let down that is basic broadcasting business knowledge. Instead of picking 1-60 they should start with the 60th pick and work the way to first pick the ratings would go through the roof.

Another idea for people who dont like big changes but would still like the draft to be more fun goes like this:

Every 10 technical fouls a team loses their lowest draft pick.

Ex. The Bobcats have the 30th pick of the first round and have traded for the 24th and 25th picks of the second round. After 10 fouls, they lose their 25th pick in the second round.

This increases the importance of second round picks as a "buffer pick". Also, it makes the total number of picks lower which increases the percentage of talent in the draft.
demons2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 12:14 AM   #2
insidehoops
Administrator

insidehoops has disabled reputation

They won't get rid of the second round. Also, david stern can't snap his fingers and do it. The players union would have to agree, too. It would be very hard to pull off.

Also, it being boring to watch doesn't mean it should be gotten rid of.

Also, you could not beat those players. They would destroy you. If you could beat them, you'd be a first round pick.

Last edited by insidehoops : 07-06-2006 at 12:11 PM.
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 03:15 AM   #3
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

How could you lose a pick for getting 10 fouls. Every team gets at least 10 fouls in every game.. unless I'm missing your point and I'm just rambling about nonsense/
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 03:22 AM   #4
AI09
Serious playground baller

AI09 has an OK reputation so far

Why would u go from 60-1 that means the best team will get the best player. People would just watch 60 2 30 and change the channel. By the time u get to pick number 1 all the good players are taken.
AI09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 08:07 AM   #5
demons2005
Local High School Star

demons2005 has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsdemons2005 has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsdemons2005 has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsdemons2005 has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsdemons2005 has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsdemons2005 has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI09
Why would u go from 60-1 that means the best team will get the best player. People would just watch 60 2 30 and change the channel. By the time u get to pick number 1 all the good players are taken.
Look ppl know whos the good players and whos not if you blantantly take a good player with 60 your owner receives a large fine and loses rights to their second round pick the next year.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:47 AM   #6
JohnnySic
green is good

JohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation here

The 2nd round may be "boring" but it still serves its purpose. A team that's done its homework can still land a good player in the 2nd round.
JohnnySic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 09:46 AM   #7
WADE MONEY
I hit open jumpers.

WADE MONEY has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by demons2005
Look ppl know whos the good players and whos not if you blantantly take a good player with 60 your owner receives a large fine and loses rights to their second round pick the next year.

that's the stupidest idea i've ever heard. You might've redeemed yourself if you said something like "all the picks are done behind the scenes from 1 to 60 and not televised, and when stern announces them he does it in reverse order; from 60 to 1".

But who determines if someone "blatantly picked a good player with 60?" That's arbitrary and literally the stupidest idea I've ever heard someone seriously put forth.
WADE MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 09:57 AM   #8
demons2005
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by WADE MONEY
that's the stupidest idea i've ever heard. You might've redeemed yourself if you said something like "all the picks are done behind the scenes from 1 to 60 and not televised, and when stern announces them he does it in reverse order; from 60 to 1".

But who determines if someone "blatantly picked a good player with 60?" That's arbitrary and literally the stupidest idea I've ever heard someone seriously put forth.
rather than bash my ideas why dont you put forth some solutions i dont like when ppl just criticize but dont have any ideas of their own.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:07 AM   #9
WADE MONEY
I hit open jumpers.

Quote:
rather than bash my ideas why dont you put forth some solutions i dont like when ppl just criticize but dont have any ideas of their own.

Quote:
You might've redeemed yourself if you said something like "all the picks are done behind the scenes from 1 to 60 and not televised, and when stern announces them he does it in reverse order; from 60 to 1".

you would think that when someone takes the trouble to QUOTE my post he actually read the thing

so you're telling me that you would rather have the first teams on the televised draft purposely try to draft the crappiest player? that would actually IMPROVE ratings? **** outta here

Last edited by WADE MONEY : 07-06-2006 at 11:11 AM.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:42 AM   #10
demons2005
Local High School Star

Quote:
you would think that when someone takes the trouble to QUOTE my post he actually read the thing

so you're telling me that you would rather have the first teams on the televised draft purposely try to draft the crappiest player? that would actually IMPROVE ratings? **** outta here
again id idnt see you have any better idea. Also, you must not understand TV business at all it's pretty simple. The main event should be last and the main event isnt the 2nd round. that makes people watch the program to the end.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:46 AM   #11
WADE MONEY
I hit open jumpers.

Quote:
Also, you must not understand TV business at all it's pretty simple. The main event should be last and the main event isnt the 2nd round. that makes people watch the program to the end.

yes because the point of a draft is to appease the TV audience as much as possible and get as high rating as possible in order to generate as much revenue from commercials as possible. Which rookies the teams actually get to be the future of the entire league is secondary to getting good ratings on TV.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:47 AM   #12
WADE MONEY
I hit open jumpers.

Quote:
again id idnt see you have any better idea.

look closer at my last couple of posts for the "better idea". This is the second time I'm telling you.

edit: I guess I have to be explicit to get through to you

THIS IS MY IDEA BELOW; IT IS BETTER THAN YOURS

Quote:
You might've redeemed yourself if you said something like "all the picks are done behind the scenes from 1 to 60 and not televised, and when stern announces them he does it in reverse order; from 60 to 1".
Old 07-06-2006, 11:51 AM   #13
WADE MONEY
I hit open jumpers.

Quote:
The NBA Draft gets boring in the second round because simply put I could probably beat those players and I am 5'6.

too bad many of those guys you can beat will get paid around 300k to 500k next year and you're sitting at home getting sonned on an internet message board
Old 07-06-2006, 11:56 AM   #14
demons2005
Local High School Star

So let me get this straight you want the hole thing to be staged? The good thing about the draft is its decided on the spot. you take away that and there's no reason to even watch the draft.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:04 PM   #15
WADE MONEY
I hit open jumpers.

Quote:
So let me get this straight you want the hole thing to be staged? The good thing about the draft is its decided on the spot. you take away that and there's no reason to even watch the draft.

I suggested that to save your a$$ bro, to prevent you from looking stupid. Of course I prefer the draft as it is right now, but if you insist that the drafts be SHOWN on TV from 60 to 1 my idea is better.

but you would rather watch teams try to pick bad players on purpose, to avoid a fine? I dunno about you but if I were number 60 I would pick a greg oden, lebron james or tim duncan and pay him whatever the minimum is, like $100k per year for his rookie contract, and my team will be a contender for the next 15 years. You think a fine and next year's draft pick would stop someone like, say the Miami heat from doing that? Your idea would cause absolute chaos.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: