Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 05-23-2007, 12:14 PM   #16
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: How the lottery results affect the Lakers

well i think with oden coming to the west teams will be rethinking their big man situation... when shaq left there was a sigh of relief as teams like phoenix could go with a smaller lineup and be effective in the playoffs, now with oden if he is even 75% of the hype teams will need to rethink what it's going to take to get to the finals... don't be surprised to see some teams clamoring to get a big man...

does that raise bynums stock with other teams or the lakers themselves?
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 04:45 PM   #17
MyLakers
I hit open 5-footers

MyLakers has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
well i think with oden coming to the west teams will be rethinking their big man situation... when shaq left there was a sigh of relief as teams like phoenix could go with a smaller lineup and be effective in the playoffs, now with oden if he is even 75% of the hype teams will need to rethink what it's going to take to get to the finals... don't be surprised to see some teams clamoring to get a big man...

This is a very good question. There is no doubt that Olden coming to the Blazers will affect the big man market. Assuming they take Olden, Portland will be looking to trade Randolph (12M), Magloire (9M exp) and LaFrentz (12M exp) this summer. This floods the market with good big men.

Fortuantely Bynum's trade value is likely unchanged for two reasons.
  1. No one is expecting Olden to be an All star in the next few years so Portland won't likely be a real contender anytime soon. So his actual impact in the league won't be directly felt for a few years.
  2. Bynum's real trade value is that he is a young and potentially very good Center with a tiny contract for a big man (2M). He is perfect trade bait for teams looking to rebuild.

This is where Bynum has tremendous trade value. Trading him allows the Lakers the option of getting an All Star level player from a rebuilding team. At this point, only the Griz have formally thrown in the towel and have made it public that they are going into full rebuild mode. But it is likely the Kings, Seattle, and the Celtics will follow suit. It is trades that involve rebuilding teams that the Lakers can get maximum value from trading Bynum.

As for whether the Lakers should now value Bynum more? Not likely. Although Portland's emergence as a future contender is real, it is the least of the Lakers concerns for trying to maximize Kobe's next 3 to 4 playing years.
MyLakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 04:47 PM   #18
hotsizzle
Superstar

hotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts

good point. I've also though about this...with all the hype around Oden, maybe the Lakers will be inclined to keep Bynum even more hoping he can be counter to Oden (I disagree with them doing this but just a thought). On the other hand, Bynum's value (3rd pick as predicted by some scouts) may be even higher now to teams that were hoping for a high draft pick to rebuild. i.e Memphis.
hotsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 04:56 PM   #19
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsizzle
good point. I've also though about this...with all the hype around Oden, maybe the Lakers will be inclined to keep Bynum even more hoping he can be counter to Oden (I disagree with them doing this but just a thought). On the other hand, Bynum's value (3rd pick as predicted by some scouts) may be even higher now to teams that were hoping for a high draft pick to rebuild. i.e Memphis.

Interesting... so how many years is Bynum away from making an impact in the league (if any) and how close is Oden to being ready to make an impact? Oden looks good, but a bit raw to me, so personally (and this is not a dig), he likely has a couple of years to be prime time as well.

Thoughts? I bring this up as it might have impact on how the league perceives Bynum vs. Oden.

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 05:10 PM   #20
hotsizzle
Superstar

hotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike
Interesting... so how many years is Bynum away from making an impact in the league (if any) and how close is Oden to being ready to make an impact? Oden looks good, but a bit raw to me, so personally (and this is not a dig), he likely has a couple of years to be prime time as well.

Thoughts? I bring this up as it might have impact on how the league perceives Bynum vs. Oden.

We'll have to see Oden in the league first to really get a good look at him...eveything now is just specualtion. but I'm with you, hes still two, three years away from becoming the force hes projected to be.

As much as Laker fans (and myself) want Bynum out of here, he will become pretty good. There are tons of players in the league that didnt start contributing right away but the question is when? We cant sit here waiting for Bynum to develop while watching Kobe age.

Now Bynum's value is high because hes the same age as Oden but has already played 2 full seasons training with arguably the greatest center of all time. He is a lengthy big man, with a soft touch around the basket (rare in this league). His offesnive game around the basket is pretty good. Although a suspect defender, he will most likely develop into a 3 block/gm guy. Potential is there.

Oden will be better though and that has to do with their respective attitudes toward the game. Bynum is shy and unmotivated...not a good sign at all.
hotsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 10:57 PM   #21
kobedaman24
its ours nxt year LA09

kobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this board

For the Portland deal... I'm cool with it as long as it's not a fat 4+ yr contract.

Randolph was way overpaid by the Blazers..
kobedaman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 11:12 PM   #22
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobedaman24
For the Portland deal... I'm cool with it as long as it's not a fat 4+ yr contract.

Randolph was way overpaid by the Blazers..

there's no way i want Randolph on the Lakers... his defense is not good and he's not a system player... not a fit for the triangle....

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 11:13 PM   #23
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

well as we all sit in front of our computers hemming and hawing over what the lakers will do, imagine the lakers front office actually having to make a move...lol
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 11:31 PM   #24
kobedaman24
its ours nxt year LA09

kobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this board

Quote:
there's no way i want Randolph on the Lakers... his defense is not good and he's not a system player... not a fit for the triangle....

His defense might not be good, but he could provide us with some low post offense as well as some boards...

It basically depends on who we're trading for him. IMO
Old 05-23-2007, 11:32 PM   #25
kobedaman24
its ours nxt year LA09

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
well as we all sit in front of our computers hemming and hawing over what the lakers will do, imagine the lakers front office actually having to make a move...lol
And whatever decision they make, they will always be criticized by some fans...
Old 05-23-2007, 11:33 PM   #26
hwliuLAP
Local High School Star

hwliuLAP is a pretty well-respected posterhwliuLAP is a pretty well-respected posterhwliuLAP is a pretty well-respected poster

very valid points are being discussed here
I personally do feel the stock of Bynum has just been raised

my only problem? how much improvement he will make this is his contract year, so Lakers may trade him
the only reason I can be happy with the management
is that if the Lakers sign bynum to a 4+ year contract with 4 mil per season
IF we can keep the young Bynum at the cheap price
it will very well pay off in the future, as we will have the cap space while having a possible all star at a cheap price

now if he demands less year or more money?
I want a trade then, I want someone big because of Duncan and Oden in the West and we all saw how important big mans are in the playoff
just Duncan's block shot alone, has changed the outcome of many many games as tempting as it would be to get JKidd trading bynum, I might reconsider it depends on the deal
why? we need interior defense and good help defense. If we have good big man inside, they will make our peremiter defense look good, simply they have to alter their shot as they get in the lane. Which this is one thing that Bynum concerns me, he doesn't have a good help defense or 1 on 1 defense.

so our best bet is to go with a
Defensive Center (which is why I like Kwame)
6-10 or up True PF this may be our 2nd all star position

Big man concerns me more now that Oden is in the West
regarding the PG situation? I can see Farmar being a legit starter
altho a Veteran is much more prefered, we just don't have the cap.

Also please re-sign Mihm, he will be a legit Center coming off the bench

Have 4 Defensive stopper around Kobe Bryant, and we will be a chip contender
it's that simple.
hwliuLAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 12:10 AM   #27
MJ(Mean John)
The Fresh Prince

MJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

i dont see ANY TEAM trading a 4th & 19th pick for the 1st with ODEN and DURANT in this draft. i mean if it were the 03 draft or 96 draft then maybe we could be talking...

also i like us getting magliore...
its not gonna be that hard to pick him up. FA or S&T
then the pg slot.
i like blake...personally.
S&T with Denver. or use the MLE
then trade for Ron Ron i say we deal our 2nd rounders+cook+vlade(peja wanna be) or S&T luke. Tell me sac wouldnt want those draft picks.
For blake if we S&T we could trade mo. Denver would love an athletic guard who can hit the open 3 and guard the other teams explosive guard
and Magliore use the MLE on him.
if any team is not satisfied i say we add cook or sasha or take away a draft pick from sac and add it
i also say lakers swap thier 19th pick with a lower 1st rounder + 2nd rounder(to add to the other deals)
and with the 1st round pick i say we draft Afflalo. im telling ppl. nice defender. can score... will be nice off the bench with Farmar. hes a nice size
MJ(Mean John) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 02:32 AM   #28
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

To tell you the truth, Whatever damage that may be done to us with a forward like ZR on defense, Offensively he would punish anyone just the same.

Why isn't he a system player? The triangle gives very many chances for bigs to post up and create their own shot, something randolph is spectacular at.

Also, With Kobe being double teamed...You can bet Zach Randolph will average more than his 24/10 last season.

How many forwards can do that SoCal?
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 04:26 AM   #29
Shark
I hit open layups

Shark has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedinpurple
OK, here ya go...

1. Gasol. Who knows what memphis is thinking now? this is what we do... get word to Gasol that he demand a trade to the Lakers (Bynum, Kwame, VRad). we let him know, thru back channels, that if he does this, we will draft his brother at #19.

I would probably do it, even if Gasol is not a defensive stopper. Note that to make the salary match V.Rad is not needed, unless Memphis add a filer.

Quote:
2. Rashard Lewis. He is now s&t. Ask yourself how much you are willing to pay for him? Then, what do you trade for him? I've never been a big fan.

No need for him if we get Gasol with Kobe and Odom. Maybe with this trio Artest can be a perfect fit (some much-needed defense) or anyway Walton is probably not the ideal fit.

Quote:
3. Zach Randolph. He is now trade bait. Do you want him as our PF? Can LO move to the 3? Zach is going to be traded for a legit SF. I see him going to either NJ for RJeff, or to Atlanta for Marvin Williams + filler.

Let Zach stay away from LA!

Quote:
4. Boston. Hard for me to feel bad for our ancient rivals, but they are now in a pickle. They must either trade young talent for a legit veteran...or trade Pierce. Between their young talent, Ratliff's expiring contract, pick, and Wally, they have assets to move for someone like JO/Gasol/KG.

They are in an even worse position than you think. Ratliff, Wally and their pick will NEVER land JO/Gasol/KG. They have a good pick anyway, BUT Pierce wants veteran. And they will be hesitant to trade the pick after the Roy-for-Telfair fiasco...
Good luck Ainge!
Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 10:37 AM   #30
bleedinpurple
Decent college freshman

bleedinpurple has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ(Mean John)
i dont see ANY TEAM trading a 4th & 19th pick for the 1st with ODEN and DURANT in this draft. i mean if it were the 03 draft or 96 draft then maybe we could be talking...

also i like us getting magliore...
its not gonna be that hard to pick him up. FA or S&T
then the pg slot.
i like blake...personally.
S&T with Denver. or use the MLE
then trade for Ron Ron i say we deal our 2nd rounders+cook+vlade(peja wanna be) or S&T luke. Tell me sac wouldnt want those draft picks.
For blake if we S&T we could trade mo. Denver would love an athletic guard who can hit the open 3 and guard the other teams explosive guard
and Magliore use the MLE on him.
if any team is not satisfied i say we add cook or sasha or take away a draft pick from sac and add it
i also say lakers swap thier 19th pick with a lower 1st rounder + 2nd rounder(to add to the other deals)
and with the 1st round pick i say we draft Afflalo. im telling ppl. nice defender. can score... will be nice off the bench with Farmar. hes a nice size

now THAT'S the type of analysis I like to see. good job.
however, I disagree on Afflalo. I'm not a fan. i would prefer Crittendon.
(however, I thought Randolph Childress was the second coming of Isaiah).
bleedinpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: