Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 12-25-2016, 10:03 PM   #16
AirBonner
Banned

Default Re: Top 10 QBs in the NFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz873
1. Rodgers
2. Brady
3. Brees
4. Ryan
5. Big Ben
6. Luck
7. Carr
8. Wilson
9. Stafford
10. Cousins
No.
AirBonner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 10:58 PM   #17
jazz873
National High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBonner
No.
You really have a problem with me putting Rodgers over Brady in MY list?
jazz873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 02:23 AM   #18
ImKobe
From the words of Zeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz873
You really have a problem with me putting Rodgers over Brady in MY list?

Brady has more wins in less games played and is only 2nd to Matt Ryan in QBR this year, I don't see why he shouldn't be ranked ahead of Rodgers, considering he was also better last year.

298 Yards per game vs 275
8.2 yards per pass attempt vs 7.2
0.5 INT% vs 1.2

10 wins to 9 wins as the starting QB

take into count that Brady hasn't had Gronk for most of the season and has also faced Seattle, Denver, Baltimore and Buffalo's defenses and the media was all over Patriots' defense for being medicore this season, so you can't say that Brady has HOF players around him that make his numbers look better than they are

I'd say Rodgers is the best QB in the league if you only care about overall numbers (yards, total TDs) as he leads his team in both passing and rushing TDs with 40 total touchdowns and his and Tom's numbers are pretty close when it comes to efficiency, but again Brady has 10 wins in 11 games while Rodgers has 9 in 15.
ImKobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 02:44 AM   #19
Nanners
hugh mungus what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImKobe
Brady has more wins in less games played and is only 2nd to Matt Ryan in QBR this year, I don't see why he shouldn't be ranked ahead of Rodgers, considering he was also better last year.

Yeah but the question isnt who has had a better season, its just a top 10 list of QBs. No doubt Aaron Rodgers has not had as good of a year as Brady, but in terms of sheer QB talent I think he has a pretty good case for #1.

Matt Ryan has probably been the best QB in the NFL this season, but how good is he really? He was maybe slightly above average for his first 8 seasons in the league, but he has never been considered a top 5 guy until right now. Did he suddenly become much more talented, or is something else helping him this season? Nick Foles had one of the greatest QB seasons of all time and where is he now?

Last edited by Nanners : 12-26-2016 at 02:48 AM.
Nanners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 10:40 AM   #20
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Slightly above average, lol.

He has been a really good NFL QB for years now. Not elite, but in that next level for sure. His four year average before this season was:

4700 total yards, 27 TDS and 94 QB Rating.

This is the first year he has had really good OLINE play since he's been in his prime years. If the protection continues, his elite level of play should continue. He's a damn good QB.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 10:45 AM   #21
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImKobe

298 Yards per game vs 275
8.2 yards per pass attempt vs 7.2
0.5 INT% vs 1.2

10 wins to 9 wins as the starting QB

take into count that Brady hasn't had Gronk for most of the season and has also faced Seattle, Denver, Baltimore and Buffalo's defenses and the media was all over Patriots' defense for being medicore this season, so you can't say that Brady has HOF players around him that make his numbers look better than they are

I'd say Rodgers is the best QB in the league if you only care about overall numbers (yards, total TDs) as he leads his team in both passing and rushing TDs with 40 total touchdowns and his and Tom's numbers are pretty close when it comes to efficiency, but again Brady has 10 wins in 11 games while Rodgers has 9 in 15.

Drew Brees is having one of his better seasons of his career. He has been an elite level QB for years and years now. Want to know his record the last five years?

39-40

BIGGEST NORTH AMERICAN TEAM GAME OF THE MAJOR SPORTS.

Get that through you skull.
Old 12-26-2016, 10:55 AM   #22
ShawkFactory
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~primetime~
He's been top-5 this year...he was in MVP talks until recently

The only way you can argue he isn't is with "his line doh" but the line doesn't throw the ball for him. The line doesn't make QBs, Dallas was 4-12 last year.
I just rank players based on what I think they could do. If you flipped Wilson and Dak's situations would Dak still be better statistically. I really don't believe so. Same with Stafford and Luck for me.
ShawkFactory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 11:36 AM   #23
Nanners
hugh mungus what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine
Slightly above average, lol.

He has been a really good NFL QB for years now. Not elite, but in that next level for sure. His four year average before this season was:

4700 total yards, 27 TDS and 94 QB Rating.

This is the first year he has had really good OLINE play since he's been in his prime years. If the protection continues, his elite level of play should continue. He's a damn good QB.

yes dipshit. in a league with 32 starting QBs, "slightly above average" describes Ryans career perfectly. The 16th best QB is average by definition, and Ryan has ranked slightly above that mark in the 5-15 range (closer to 15 than 5) just about every year in his career.

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=383891 here is the ISH top 10 QB thread from last year. ryan is not even ranked in half of these lists and appears no higher than #8 for any poster on this forum. like i said, "slightly above average" describes him perfectly.

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=340973 here is the top 10 QB thread from 2014-2015. I am actually defending Matt Ryan here from people who dont think he is top 10 (i had him at #8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners
Most QBs look bad when they lose all their weapons. Matt Ryan is not the greatest QB but I would say he is definitely above average.

seems that my opinion has not changed much, aside from adding a "slightly" to the mix

Heres another gem i just mined from the ISH football vault - Joe Flacco vs Matt Ryan
Quote:
Matt Ryan has two legit number 1 wideouts on his team and the best tight end ever still playing at a high level. In a dome for at least 9 games a year with no elite defense in his division.

Joe Flacco plays with no true number 1 wideout and average tight ends, plays a quarter of his schedule yearly against elite defenses in his own division.

I'd say that's a pretty fair reason to explain the difference in stats for these two that Matt has an edge in.

They're pretty close in terms of ability. Joe clearly has more throwing talent. Matt makes better decisions consistently I believe. The difference between them with their legs is small, if any.

I'd have a hard time thinking Joe wouldn't be putting up great numbers if he was in a offensive situation like Ryan's.

Last edited by Nanners : 12-26-2016 at 12:21 PM.
Old 12-26-2016, 12:36 PM   #24
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

2012 was a long time ago. Like 4 years?

Yeah it's really the end all be all when ISH's list of top 10 QBS in a given year is released. IF INSIDEHOOPS SAYS MATT RYAN IS NOT A TOP 10 QB THEN IT MUST BE TRUE!!!

That is incredibly horrible evidence to support the claim Ryan has been slightly above average QB his whole career.

This is going to come off snobby but it's the truth. Among NFL circles (not idiot fans) Matt Ryan is viewed as a legit franchise QB. It's not even a question. He's a guy who people in college get Comp'd to when a white pocket passing potential franchise QB comes along.
Old 12-26-2016, 12:47 PM   #25
Nanners
hugh mungus what?

Quote:
2012 was a long time ago. Like 4 years?

Yeah it's really the end all be all when ISH's list of top 10 QBS in a given year is released. IF INSIDEHOOPS SAYS MATT RYAN IS NOT A TOP 10 QB THEN IT MUST BE TRUE!!!

That is incredibly horrible evidence to support the claim Ryan has been slightly above average QB his whole career.

This is going to come off snobby but it's the truth. Among NFL circles (not idiot fans) Matt Ryan is viewed as a legit franchise QB. It's not even a question. He's a guy who people in college get Comp'd to when a white pocket passing potential franchise QB comes along.

everything you say comes off as snobby you dumbshit pedo

who said matt ryan was not a franchise qb? hes just as much of a franchise qb as stafford, flacco, rivers, eli, and all of the other solid but unspectacular QBs in the "slightly above average" tier.

notice how the rankings posted in those ISH lists are almost identical? thats not because everyone on ISH agrees about football, its because those lists are basically copied off the general consensus in the national media... so yeah I think they are a pretty good indicator. The lists posted around here tend to rank Ryan somewhere in the 8-12 range and most seasons that is right where he belongs.

how many times in his career has matt ryan earned all pro? how many times has he received a single MVP vote? Clearly NFL circles think really highly of him

Last edited by Nanners : 12-26-2016 at 12:55 PM.
Old 12-26-2016, 01:03 PM   #26
Euroleague
I Feel Devotion

1. Brady
2. Rodgers
3. Brees
4. Roethlisberger
5. Wilson
6. Carr
7. Rivers
8. Luck
9. Ryan
10. Cousins
11. Stafford
12. Newton

Something like that...
Euroleague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 01:35 PM   #27
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Matt Ryans ranks among qualifying NFL QBS last 6 years:

2011:

Yards: 8th
TDS: 6th
QB Rating: 8th
PFF Grade: 6th

2012:

Yards: 5th
TDS: 5th
QB Rating: 5th
PFF Grade: 3rd

2013:

Yards: 4th overall
TDS: 9th
QB Rating: 12th
PFF Grade: 5th

2014:

TDS: 10th
QB Rating: 11th

2015:

TDS: 17th
QB Rating: 20th
PFF Grade: 11th

2016:

Yards: 3rd
TDS: 3rd
QB Rating: 1st
PFF Grade: 2nd

Matt Ryan is an upper echelon QB since he has reached his prime. Not in the elite group (besides this year) but probably a leader of the pack in that next group.

Calling him "maybe a slightly above average QB" is stupid. I call people out on stupid things. Usually it's PT saying it, but this time it's you.

So I had to educate. Class dismissed.
Old 12-26-2016, 01:40 PM   #28
CelticBaller
You mad?

Yet you picked Flacco(lol) above him on the idea that Ryan has more offensive weapons and better line.

Make up your damn mind
CelticBaller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 01:47 PM   #29
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

4 years ago. Can't you people read?

If someone plays really well for four years (Ryan) and someone plays below average for four years (Flacco) opinions should change.
Old 12-26-2016, 02:18 PM   #30
Nanners
hugh mungus what?

Quote:
Matt Ryans ranks among qualifying NFL QBS last 6 years:

2011:

Yards: 8th
TDS: 6th
QB Rating: 8th
PFF Grade: 6th

2012:

TDS: 5th
QB Rating: 5th
PFF Grade: 3rd

2013:

Yards: 4th overall
TDS: 9th
QB Rating: 12th

2014:

TDS: 10th
QB Rating: 11th

2015:

TDS: 17th
QB Rating: 20th
PFF Grade: 11th

2016:

Yards: 3rd
TDS: 3rd
QB Rating: 1st
PFF Grade: 2nd

Matt Ryan is an upper echelon QB since he has reached his prime. Not in the elite group (besides this year) but probably a leader of the pack in that next group.

Calling him "maybe a slightly above average QB" is stupid. I call people out on stupid things. Usually it's PT saying it, but this time it's you.

So I had to educate. Class dismissed.

seems like you are basically just arguing semantics, which is a waste of time for both of us, so this is probably going to be my last comment on this topic. im not even sure what we are arguing about at this point. Like I said, I think Ryan is a quality qb on the tier 3 level with guys like Rivers, Flacco, Stafford... etc, which probably puts him somewhere in the 8-12 range in terms of sheer QB talent. I dont think he magically became one of the top 5 QBs in the league this year during his 9th season, I think he is still the same guy he has consistently been for his entire career.

thank you for proving my point with those stats. over the past 6 years, matty ice has ranked 8th, 5th, 12th, 11th, 20th and 1st in passer rating. like I said earlier, he has been the best QB in the NFL this season, but those 5 previous years you posted are basically definition of "slightly above average". If average is 16th, then 11th and 12th are slightly above average. Ryans average ranking over those previous 5 years is 11.2.

Drew Brees is #1 in yards and #1 or near the top in both TDs and passer rating for almost every year of the past decade (there are only 3 major exceptions to this - 2007 with brady ranking first, 2013 with manning ranking first, and 2009 brees just had a bad year), yet hes still ranked solidly behind Rodgers, Brady and Manning on literally every single list of top QBs that has been published in the past decade, and he has never once been named NFL MVP. its almost like individual stats cant tell the whole story with QBs! im surprised this concept is difficult for you to understand since you are constantly talking about how football is a TEAM game in these QB arguments.

Last edited by Nanners : 12-26-2016 at 02:43 PM.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: