Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 01-16-2017, 04:04 PM   #1
NBAplayoffs2001
One of the Goodfellas

Default What if Rodgers was drafted #1 in 2005 instead of Smith?

It was considered a relatively weak draft class for QBs. Smith stood out due to his previous season's gaudy numbers and his "book smarts," he graduated in 2 years and scored a high Wonderlic. He had some Steve Young in him and he's turned out to be an average/sometimes above average NFL QB. I wouldn't consider him necessarily a bust.

Rodgers was considered a robotic QB from Cal with all the talent in the world - quick release, strongest arm in the draft, one of the most accurate passers, nearly perfect mechanics. He was very polished but people questioned his chance to succeed in the NFL because of his coach, Tedford who has taught many NFL busts (Joey Harrington, Akili Smith, Trent Dilfer, Kyle Boller - in all reality, he was nothing more than a below average QB with absurd arm strength). He improved drastically as a QB those 2-3 years behind Brett Favre. I think as a Cali kid, he toughened up a lot in the cold tundra etc. His arm looks way stronger today than it ever did in college too. I also do agree with current sentiments saying he's the most gifted quarterback the game has ever seen. He has very few flaws and he's tough as nails (Something I think he may have not developed if he was thrown in as a starter day 1).

What I find funny too is Matt Leinart was as close as you can be to be as a lock at #1 overall in 2005 if he decided to come out (I don't get how since anyone with a brain could see that those USC teams were stacked at nearly every position) and Smith/Rodgers were way better pros than he ever was.

I still remember the WRs/RBs produced a lot of players who were drafted way too high based on their career production ie. Braylon Edwards, Cedric Benson, Troy Williamsson (utter garbage)

Last edited by NBAplayoffs2001 : 01-16-2017 at 04:08 PM.
NBAplayoffs2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 05:08 PM   #2
CelticBaller
You mad?

Default Re: What if Rodgers was drafted #1 in 2005 instead of Smith?

He probabily would'nt have been as good as he is now. I think what helped him become what he is now is just sitting down and learning the system and getting to see all the bad throws a big armed qb(favre) can't do in the NFL
CelticBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 05:58 PM   #3
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

As someone who has followed Smith's whole career from the beginning and who has been a huge fan of his I don't think Rodgers would have had the same success he currently had.

First all those 49ers teams were a MESS back then(not like they're any better now) and offensively one of the worst teams. It didn't help that Alex Smith was a very raw QB coming in and thrown into the wolves as a starting QB. Rodgers did have offensive talent when he inherited the roster from Favre, in San Franciso there was none of that,

Second, the Niners were a poorly coached team until Harbugh came. Mike Nolan was this pseudo macho man coach who had no clue on how to run an offense and a team for that matter. He forced Alex Smith to play with a separated throwing shoulder and even called him out for his toughness once Smith decided to actually sit out. The offensive coach for the 1st year was McCarthy actually but he left for the GB job after the 2005 season, the OC next year was Norv Turner and he did a great job with the young niner offense that year and made Smith look decent but he left to grab San Diego's HC position, then the next couple of years they hired OC after OC who were all but awful(besides Martz who as OK). Then of course Mike Singletarry who built a strong defensive unit but was clueless offensively. It wasn't until Harbaugh who turned around those "shitty" offensive players into a respectable unit.

Bottom line I think the poor coaching and dysfunctional system the niners had at the time would have stunted his growth. I see people bashing McCarthy but he and that FO have built a winning program.
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 12:07 PM   #4
1manfastbreak
still hyphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickballer
As someone who has followed Smith's whole career from the beginning and who has been a huge fan of his I don't think Rodgers would have had the same success he currently had.

First all those 49ers teams were a MESS back then(not like they're any better now) and offensively one of the worst teams. It didn't help that Alex Smith was a very raw QB coming in and thrown into the wolves as a starting QB. Rodgers did have offensive talent when he inherited the roster from Favre, in San Franciso there was none of that,

Second, the Niners were a poorly coached team until Harbugh came. Mike Nolan was this pseudo macho man coach who had no clue on how to run an offense and a team for that matter. He forced Alex Smith to play with a separated throwing shoulder and even called him out for his toughness once Smith decided to actually sit out. The offensive coach for the 1st year was McCarthy actually but he left for the GB job after the 2005 season, the OC next year was Norv Turner and he did a great job with the young niner offense that year and made Smith look decent but he left to grab San Diego's HC position, then the next couple of years they hired OC after OC who were all but awful(besides Martz who as OK). Then of course Mike Singletarry who built a strong defensive unit but was clueless offensively. It wasn't until Harbaugh who turned around those "shitty" offensive players into a respectable unit.

Bottom line I think the poor coaching and dysfunctional system the niners had at the time would have stunted his growth. I see people bashing McCarthy but he and that FO have built a winning program.

I agree with this. I was really shocked when they didn't pick Rodgers, who played on some of the best CAL teams in the school's history.

I feel like Rodgers was better off sitting for a couple of season's and learning the ropes behind an all-time great in Brett Farve.

Although, I do think Rodgers would of been better than Smith if the 49ers did draft him. I always felt like they had the weapons to be THE best offense in football during their 3-4 year playoff run, but they had to cater the offense to Alex Smith's inability to throw the ball down field.

He may not be the elite player he is today, but he has more physical tools than Smith. Niners were getting a new OC every season back then. Makes it hard for anyone to succeed.
1manfastbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 07:53 PM   #5
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1manfastbreak
I agree with this. I was really shocked when they didn't pick Rodgers, who played on some of the best CAL teams in the school's history.

I feel like Rodgers was better off sitting for a couple of season's and learning the ropes behind an all-time great in Brett Farve.

Although, I do think Rodgers would of been better than Smith if the 49ers did draft him. I always felt like they had the weapons to be THE best offense in football during their 3-4 year playoff run, but they had to cater the offense to Alex Smith's inability to throw the ball down field.

He may not be the elite player he is today, but he has more physical tools than Smith. Niners were getting a new OC every season back then. Makes it hard for anyone to succeed.

Without a doubt Rodgers would have been better off. But there's alot of variables in the equation right there. The 49ers never had the greatest offensive weapons, even under Harbaugh. It was more of Jim Harbaugh's brilliance as a coach and building a system that can utilize those players. Niners were a run first team under Harbaugh. Rodgers under Jim Harbaugh and that defense would have been scary but would Harbaugh have even become the head coach if Niners drafted Rodgers? Probably not and I think Mike Nolan's or Singletary's tenure would have lasted a bit longer as Rodgers could have propelled them in the playoffs leading Harbugh to go elsewhere like Miami. Harbaugh would have turned that Miami team into a playoff caliber team instead, probably would have turned Chad Henne into Big Ben lol.

Smith was a raw QB coming out and who is a very coach-able/smart player. He was presumed a "bust" then all of a sudden became a good NFL QB under a coach who knew a damn. Learning behind Favre and a good HC like McCarthy would have been what he needed. If you look at Smith today the only thing that is holding him back is his own insecurities and cautious play, and i think that was because of years of getting his ass playing for a dysfunctional team. I really hope Smith ends up winning a SB as it would be poetic justice, he deserves it...
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:54 PM   #6
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

He would have multiple rings being supported by all that defensive talent the 49ers had.

Harbaugh would still be the coach.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:56 PM   #7
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickballer
Without a doubt Rodgers would have been better off. But there's alot of variables in the equation right there. The 49ers never had the greatest offensive weapons, even under Harbaugh. It was more of Jim Harbaugh's brilliance as a coach and building a system that can utilize those players. Niners were a run first team under Harbaugh. Rodgers under Jim Harbaugh and that defense would have been scary but would Harbaugh have even become the head coach if Niners drafted Rodgers? Probably not and I think Mike Nolan's or Singletary's tenure would have lasted a bit longer as Rodgers could have propelled them in the playoffs leading Harbugh to go elsewhere like Miami. Harbaugh would have turned that Miami team into a playoff caliber team instead, probably would have turned Chad Henne into Big Ben lol.

Smith was a raw QB coming out and who is a very coach-able/smart player. He was presumed a "bust" then all of a sudden became a good NFL QB under a coach who knew a damn. Learning behind Favre and a good HC like McCarthy would have been what he needed. If you look at Smith today the only thing that is holding him back is his own insecurities and cautious play, and i think that was because of years of getting his ass playing for a dysfunctional team. I really hope Smith ends up winning a SB as it would be poetic justice, he deserves it...

Packers fan everywhere right now -------->
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: