Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 05-23-2007, 07:15 PM   #1
MyLakers
I hit open 5-footers

MyLakers has an OK reputation so far
Default Enough with the Artest talk - he is a cancer that not even Phil can handle

Artest is a great player and I truly wish him peace and success in his life, but he is too dangerous to gamble on.

I know, many of you are thinking, "Phil is the Zen master. He can handle Artest. Heck, he handle Rodman didn't he?"

Simply put, Artest is NOT Rodman! Artest is a troubled young man with LOTS of emotional baggage - and he can be a flat out thug at times. Rodman certainly was a dirty PLAYER, but he was a relatively stable PERSON. When Rodman did questionable things, it was usually strategic; to mess with peoples heads. Not just an emotonal outburst. Sure, he was weird and required special attention, but he was not inherently destructive. Rodman's personal life was not in shambles like Artest's. Yes, his life was excessive, but he usually saved it for the off-season.

Rodman could play with Jordan because he never wanted to be a scorer. He understood his role - defense and rebounding. Whereas Artest would struggle to play with Kobe since he has complained for years about "getting MORE touches on offense." How do you think he will react to being in Kobe's immense shadow.

Additionally, Kobe is no picnic to play with. If Kobe tried yelling at Artest for screwing up the spacing in the triangle the way he does other players, he might get his teeth knocked out. And then the Lakers would have no choice but to trade Artest for pennies on the dollar to ship him out ASAP.

And lastly, if the Maloof's are willing to ship Artest to the Lakers, doesn't THAT tell you something in itself? The Maloof's vetoed the trade that would have sent Bibby to the Lakers simply because they couldn't get past helping their old rivals to get better. A trade that nearly every soports writer said would have been great for the Kings rebuilding prospects. And now we expect that they, all of a sudden, have a change in heart and want to do a deal that would seemingly put the Lakers in contention?

Sounds like they are sending a Trojan horse.
MyLakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 07:20 PM   #2
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Enough with the Artest talk - he is a cancer that not even Phil can handle

You know what?

I can't agree with this. Please let me explain why.

A few years ago people didn't want rasheed wallace because of his attitude and they thought he was out of control.

Larry Brown, a great coach, Went to D-troit and controlled wallace and limited his technical fouls.

Can you answer why Phil can't do such a thing for artest? the only problem with artest is his off-court issues that are clearly told incorrectly or exaggerated by the media.

It's pretty freakin obvious that we aren't going to get any of the 3 superstar bigs. I don't see us working out a clever deal at all.

Our best bet is RA.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 07:51 PM   #3
LakerWarrior12
Local High School Star

LakerWarrior12 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Enough with the Artest talk - he is a cancer that not even Phil can handle

After what all the wrong things he did in Indiana and Sacramento (Not including his seasons in Chicago), I don't think he'll end up in LA. This guy actually went to JAIL for 20 days!!!! He was even suspended for the remainder of the 2004-2005 season. Kobe and Artest don't combine very well.
LakerWarrior12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 08:10 PM   #4
MyLakers
I hit open 5-footers

MyLakers has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
You know what?

A few years ago people didn't want rasheed wallace because of his attitude and they thought he was out of control.

Larry Brown, a great coach, Went to D-troit and controlled wallace and limited his technical fouls.

Can you answer why Phil can't do such a thing for artest? the only problem with artest is his off-court issues that are clearly told incorrectly or exaggerated by the media.

It's pretty freakin obvious that we aren't going to get any of the 3 superstar bigs. I don't see us working out a clever deal at all.

Our best bet is RA.

You spelled it out yourself - it is his OFF-court problems that make him unstable. He does not have a healthy off-court emotonal support system. And he has had plenty of issues letting his off court difficulties effect his work.

In regards to Wallace, Rasheed was NEVER anywhere NEAR a head case that Artest is. I know the media tried to proclaim him as one, but in reality his issues were smoking pot and being too emotionally involved in the game that he loves - NOT the same issues as Artest. Rasheed yelled at refs who made bad calls. Other than getting caught smoking pot, that's about it. Pot and yelling at refs. Artest has talked about quitting basketball multiple times. Artest has discussed suicide with close friends. Artest has legal issues involved in anger management. And I deliberately haven't addressed his numerous ON COURT problems because I want to focus on the root cause of his antics: the drama in his personal life. It has, and will likely continue to spill over into his work.

Again, I truly wish Artest success and peace, but he is not someone I feel we should gamble on. Unless, of course, we only have to give up very little in order to roll the dice (kind of like the Rockets did with Bonzi)

There is a difference between thinking he is "BAD" person and being honest about where someone is and then making a mature decision about where to invest your time and money.

Now, in support of your argument - Stephen Jackson would have been a better example of a problematic player who has seemed to have turned it around by trading teams. But I would argue that even he is VERY different than Artest.
MyLakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 08:14 PM   #5
Andrew from tex
I brick open layups

Andrew from tex has an OK reputation so far

Artest is worth the risk and this is why ... sometimes people needs an fresh start in life and plus our team captain and frachise player Kobe not only wanted him but trust me he can and would put Artest in his place , look at everytime the lakers played the kings this year how him and kobe was always getting along good and laughing , Phil is a great coach and maybe he could change his attitude a little bit , if Artest is playing in a city like L.A dont you think that he would love it ? yessss . and want to prove to people that he can change , give him an chance because the fact is we would not be losing alot for him at all KWAME enough said and if Artest didnt prove that he could stay out of trouble then we would only have him for one more year , we can always get an big man with the MLE incase your thinking what if we let Kwame go and Artest proves that he cant play of the court right
Andrew from tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 08:31 PM   #6
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Sounds more like Artest needs a friend than anything.
Stephen Jackson is worse in a sense that he actually fired 5 shots at some people.

Artest just has anger issues that appear to be worked out.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 11:00 PM   #7
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Interesting viewpoints here and I like the dialog... everyone has made sound arguments both ways!

One thing that I would have to say is that *if* the Lakers go after Artest, they have to get him on the cheap. Yes, I have said this before, but its true. If they overpay for him, they could regret it as the Kings did.

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 11:01 PM   #8
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Sounds more like Artest needs a friend than anything.
Stephen Jackson is worse in a sense that he actually fired 5 shots at some people.

Artest just has anger issues that appear to be worked out.
your not getting it... last year when artest's problem started cropping up it's ugly head AGAIN for who knows how many times, a sports psychologist was on the dan patrick radio show, he told them that artest has serious mental problems, that the pressures of playing basketball are too much for him and until he deals with those problems he will always find a way to blow up his life...

it's not a question of anger management it's a matter that he has real real problems that need to be adressed. the doctor went on to say that he felt artest needed to have been removed from the league permanatly after the brawl and the pacers failed him by not adressing his needs in amanner that would benefit him, that the leagues suspension and the pacers subsequent handling of his return season only reinforced his need to be bad to get attention...

somebody needs to say no to this guy and ship him off to get help before he does something worse than beating up a guy in the crowd or his wife...
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 11:11 PM   #9
SoCalMike

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

^nice post gts... this is something that i did not know... i did know he was whacked out, but not professionally diagnosed... so if the Lakers or any team for that matter, goes after him, they should make sure that the contract has some stipulations for getting help during a season. Risk is really high with this guy!

Old 05-23-2007, 11:16 PM   #10
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

well i think that's the problem he has probably never been to see a proper medical person..thats why this guy was saying he had been failed by the NBA and pacers because they had the opportunity to make help a stipulation to his return and they didn't... an anger management course which he was sent to by the NBA is not what he needs...
Old 05-23-2007, 11:20 PM   #11
hwliuLAP
Local High School Star

hwliuLAP is a pretty well-respected posterhwliuLAP is a pretty well-respected posterhwliuLAP is a pretty well-respected poster

Take Artest, only in the contract
Lakers will have the right to terminate the contrat if he does anything stupid

problem solved, even if he were bad, we clear our cap space

can we not do that?
hwliuLAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 11:25 PM   #12
gts
Sons of Antartica

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwliuLAP

can we not do that?
sure anything is possible... as i have said before and will again here... the lakers 5 years ago could afford to gamble on a artest type player..they had real depth on the team that if artest went askew they bench him and keep rolling...the lakers at this time do not have that option, the depth is non existent and if you gamble on artest and he does go sideways there is no fall back guy to pick up the slack... and another season will be in danger of going down the drain...
Old 05-23-2007, 11:25 PM   #13
SoCalMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwliuLAP

can we not do that?

I guess its possible, but I doubt the Kings would do it.. they will want something tangible in return. Otherwise, they could waive him or buy out his contract.

Old 05-23-2007, 11:41 PM   #14
hwliuLAP
Local High School Star

hwliuLAP is a pretty well-respected posterhwliuLAP is a pretty well-respected posterhwliuLAP is a pretty well-respected poster

right now......
unless it's Lamar Odom or Kwame

I don't care who we give up for Artest for nothing if he terminated the contract
with all our horrible contracts
I want all the cap I can get

why does LO makes more than Pau Gasol?
hwliuLAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 12:22 AM   #15
MJ(Mean John)
The Fresh Prince

MJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
You know what?

Our best bet is RA.

thank you!
this laker freak...
is a very smart man...lol
he knows what he is talkin bout
(in the voice of Will smith)
you know what im sayin?
MJ(Mean John) is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: