Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2007, 02:07 AM   #31
gts
Sons of Antartica
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 29,178
Default Re: Enough with the Artest talk - he is a cancer that not even Phil can handle

Quote:
My point above is that you don't overpay for this guy
there in lies the rub for the kings, everyone in the league knows he's a wack job... so if the kings try and play him up to get something of value then teams will wonder if he's so valuble why are you trading him?

artest will go for peanuts if he goes at all...

with his contract i'm actually surprised the kings themselves don't try and ride him one more year... wonder why they don't want to keep him anyways?
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 04:38 PM   #32
HollaBolla
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,224
Default Re: Enough with the Artest talk - he is a cancer that not even Phil can handle

I have to agree with the tthread starte that Artest is such a headcase but at same token, if we can get him for less than MLE why not.
HollaBolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 06:14 PM   #33
west_tip
Local High School Star
 
west_tip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sacto, CA
Posts: 1,025
Default Re: Enough with the Artest talk - he is a cancer that not even Phil can handle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike
Its funny how some of you grab onto a name and its like the second coming of Christ... my goodness, we are talking about Ron Artest... he does NOT make the Lakers an instant contender. He could be a piece that could contribute if he does not get whacked out. Why else do the Kings want to get rid of him -- hello??????

My point above is that you don't overpay for this guy. He has not been an influencing force since his days in Indiana. Get real folks and get out of Ron's jockstrap.





not strictly true though, he got sac into the playoffs last year.
west_tip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 06:24 PM   #34
west_tip
Local High School Star
 
west_tip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sacto, CA
Posts: 1,025
Default Re: Enough with the Artest talk - he is a cancer that not even Phil can handle

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
there in lies the rub for the kings, everyone in the league knows he's a wack job... so if the kings try and play him up to get something of value then teams will wonder if he's so valuble why are you trading him?

artest will go for peanuts if he goes at all...

with his contract i'm actually surprised the kings themselves don't try and ride him one more year... wonder why they don't want to keep him anyways?

well the maloofs have taken a lot of flak over the proposals for new arena funding with public money and the dui for musselmann. they are trying to get a deal with the city for the arena and my guess is that having a guy like artest is a liabilty to them, all the bad press wont do them any favours in agitating to get the taxpayer (read suckers) to foot the bill for a new arena.
west_tip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 09:42 PM   #35
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer
 
SoCalMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Land of 16 NBA Championships
Posts: 23,361
Default Re: Enough with the Artest talk - he is a cancer that not even Phil can handle

Quote:
Originally Posted by west_tip
not strictly true though, he got sac into the playoffs last year.

he's gotten progressively worse.. it was not Artest alone that got them into the playoffs two seaons ago.. and at the time, he was in the honeymoon phase of his relationship with the kings... he did nothing for them this season and distracted the team if anything.


SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 10:35 PM   #36
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy
 
lakerfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 14,934
Default Re: Enough with the Artest talk - he is a cancer that not even Phil can handle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike
he's gotten progressively worse.. it was not Artest alone that got them into the playoffs two seaons ago.. and at the time, he was in the honeymoon phase of his relationship with the kings... he did nothing for them this season and distracted the team if anything.



he was a big part nonetheless.

He's going to have Kobe and Odom on his side man...come on man!!>..MMAAANNN!!!!!!!
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 04:26 AM   #37
MyLakers
I hit open 5-footers
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 272
Default Re: Enough with the Artest talk - he is a cancer that not even Phil can handle

Although I still think that Artest is a cancer, I am not saying that we shouldnt take on Ron Artest under ANY circumstances. But more that the likely cost to actually get him is too much to gamble on. Some of you have suggested trades involving Cook, Sasha and draft picks. Hell, if the Maloofs were willing to make those trade, then of course we should take it. But their not. They are not going to give us something for virtually nothing. They hate LA. To get Artest, all accounts suggest that it will take Kwame's expiring contract. So some of you are thnking, Artest for Kwame? that's a no brainer! If you are one of those who just thought that, you dont get it. It is not about Kwame, its about the VALUE of his expiring contract. His contract, if traded correctly, could be the piece that allows us to get a Gasol, Bibby, O'neal (which I'm not in favor of) or some other proven veteran that is NOT a nut case.

Then some of you have said, "if it doesnt work out, then no biggie, we cut him loose and move on." Same argument as above. This would mean we would have blown our only chance to cash in on his expiring contract on someone that didn't "work out."
MyLakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 05:39 AM   #38
OneWay
GREATEST OF ALL TIME!!
 
OneWay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: RANDY ORTON THE NEW WWE CHAMP!
Posts: 1,774
Default Re: Enough with the Artest talk - he is a cancer that not even Phil can handle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLakers
Although I still think that Artest is a cancer, I am not saying that we shouldnt take on Ron Artest under ANY circumstances. But more that the likely cost to actually get him is too much to gamble on. Some of you have suggested trades involving Cook, Sasha and draft picks. Hell, if the Maloofs were willing to make those trade, then of course we should take it. But their not. They are not going to give us something for virtually nothing. They hate LA. To get Artest, all accounts suggest that it will take Kwame's expiring contract. So some of you are thnking, Artest for Kwame? that's a no brainer! If you are one of those who just thought that, you dont get it. It is not about Kwame, its about the VALUE of his expiring contract. His contract, if traded correctly, could be the piece that allows us to get a Gasol, Bibby, O'neal (which I'm not in favor of) or some other proven veteran that is NOT a nut case.

Then some of you have said, "if it doesnt work out, then no biggie, we cut him loose and move on." Same argument as above. This would mean we would have blown our only chance to cash in on his expiring contract on someone that didn't "work out."

MyLakers, I very well understand your concern with Artest but I disagree on some of your points.

In my point of view, everything outside of Kobe, Odom and Bynum is not overpaying for a guy like Artest because all of our players like Farmar, Evans and Turiaf are a dime a dozen in the NBA.

As for Kwame's expiring deal I also agree. It's not the value of Kwame the player, it's the value of Kwame's contract however, the Lakers have done absolutley nothing with their expiring contracts the last 3-4 years and that has got to come to an end.

Kwame for Artest is a great calculated risk because don't forget how good Artest is and what he'd bring to this team.
Toughness, agression, defense, 2nd scoring option... Just too many things.
His presence would make us different team in terms of intagables and talent.
We'd just be so much more improved with Artest as opposed to what we have right now.

Artest's mental state is an issue but I say that's a risk we got to take.
Unlike most other places, Artest wants to play for the Lakers.
Unlike most people in the NBA, Artest respects both Kobe and Phil.

That IMO gives me a good feeling about the deal and it gives us a much better chance of having a sane Artest on our team who won't go crazy on anyone. He respects the team and key people on the team.

Another thing you're right about is that Maloofs hate the Lakers and we'd most likely need to offer more than any other team.
I say heck, DO IT!!

Kwame/Turiaf/Cook/Evans for Artest/Kenny Thomas.

I don't see how they could refuse this deal. Works for us too. Thomas is a large contract but if we're in a win now mode it shouldn't hurt us at all especially since guy can play and is still fairly young.

With the core of Kobe-Artest-Odom, emerging Bynum and Farmar, improved Radmanovic, the MLE, #19 pick, 2 2nd round picks etc we'd have plenty of pieces to build a contender.

And if things don't work out...Artest's contract isn't long and we still have Kobe, Odom, Bynum and some more pieces so you don't lose much.

On another hand you trade for JO (for example) and you give them away everything including your lunch money too. If things don't work out, where you at? You're f'ed up. Now, don't get me wrong. I want JO badly.

But the thing with Artest is that even if thigns don't work out, you haven't lost anything. If things don't work out which I like the odds for....ooooh booy, rings rings rings, here we come.
OneWay is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:15 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy