Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-21-2017, 09:56 AM   #1
Doomsday Dallas
2017/18 SB Champs

Default Die Hard - Year One

Quote:
Instead of continuing John McClane’s story after he teamed up with his son Jack in A Good Day to Die Hard, Die Hard 6 will will be a prequel set in 1979 when John was an NYPD beat cop and will explore what made him the man he was in the original 1988 Die Hard. The film may include present day sequences that feature Bruce Willis.

Quote:
Die Hard: Year One will be set on New Year’s Eve during the time Willis’s character John McClane was a New York cop.

And according to director Len Wiseman, it will be an ‘actual love story’ between him and his wife Holly, and show how McClane became the bitter action hero we met in the original film.

Wiseman announced the advent of the prequel on Twitter, and revealed he decided to make it during the shoot for the last movie, 2013’s A Good Day To Die Hard.

But how the hell will Willis be involved in a prequel about his character when he’s now a straight-up bald sexagenarian? Well, they’ll cast someone younger, it seems.

Wiseman told Collider: ‘It’s really working into the plot, with the 70s having ramifications on present day Bruce. It intercuts in a very fun, imaginative way with present-day John McClane.’

Willis has already signed up for the prequel, presumably to play his present-day self, but no actor has been cast as the young McClane as yet.

Explaining why he decided this film was necessary, Wiseman added: ‘After doing the fourth one, there were so many conversations that Bruce [Willis] and I were having about what he put into the character for Die Hard 1.

‘That character comes in with so much baggage, emotionally, and experience. He’s already divorced, he’s bitter, his Captain hates him and doesn’t want him back. So, what created that guy?

‘We’ve never seen the actual love story. We know its demise, but we’ve never seen what it was like when he met Holly, or when he was a beat cop in ‘78 in New
York when there was no chance of him making detective.

‘It’s always been something I’ve been thinking about, and now we’re doing it. And it ties in.’

He added that he hopes to release the movie around New Year’s Eve, too, meaning if all goes to plan we could be seeing it appear in just around eleven months’ time.

Doomsday Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 10:41 AM   #2
Patrick Chewing
O.G. Shot Caller

Default Re: Die Hard - Year One

So stupid
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 10:56 AM   #3
Doomsday Dallas
2017/18 SB Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
So stupid

it's a love story... it might not be so bad.

Hans Gruber's death in Die Hard... like you've never experienced it.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:48 AM   #4
Terahite
Original Triggerist

Unless this was actually filmed in the 70s/80s and shelved for 30 years this will Suck Hard.

No one wants to see a pre-MILF version of Holly either let's be real.
Terahite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:31 AM   #5
Trumpocalypse
Decent playground baller

The dumb thing about this is that nothing significant can happen in 1979 otherwise it changes the feel of the original. Stories like this only work if we were led to believe their past was interesting in the first place, but his story wasn't supposed to be that fascinating until he encountered Hans Gruber. That means flash backs should be routine cop stuff and his relationship with his wife only, but that would be boring.
Trumpocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 03:39 AM   #6
greymatter
Local High School Star

The character itself isn't enough to draw audiences. There's nothing iconic about it. Bruce Willis hasn't had any movies worth a shit in a very long time other than than RED and RED2.
greymatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 07:22 AM   #7
JohnnySic
green is good

Every Die Hard except the first one has been shiit.
JohnnySic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 10:12 PM   #8
Doomsday Dallas
2017/18 SB Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomsday Dallas

Syzygy (The X-Files)

Quote:
Mulder goes to visit Madame Zirinka again, who tells him that the planets come into alignment like this only once every 84 years, and additional alignments will cause anyone born on January 12, 1979 (Margi and Terri's birthdate) to have all the energy in the cosmos focused on them. Margi goes to see Scott alone but an angry Terri arrives. The two argue with each other and end up accidentally killing Scott. Margi goes to Mulder, telling him that Terri is responsible for the murders, while Terri goes to see Scully and tells her the opposite. The agents call each other and bring both girls to the police station, where the place starts shaking and all the guns go off on their own. Mulder locks the girls in a room together and their power goes away once the clock ticks midnight. When the town mob and Detective White finally see Terri and Margi as the culprits, Spitz claims it was the work of Satan, oblivious to the cosmic alignment's energy. Mulder and Scully drive home, arguing again over directions; when Scully defiantly runs a stop sign, Mulder notifies her but she tells him to shut up, which he does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oliueZHaxMs

Old 09-27-2017, 10:23 PM   #9
Orlando Magic
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnySic
Every Die Hard except the first one has been shiit.

100% false.

Die Hard with a Vengeance was absolutely fan ****ing tastic. Honestly for my own personal enjoyment, it was better than the first.

Die Hard 3 > Die Hard 1 > you can jumble everything else together > Die Hard 2
Orlando Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 10:30 PM   #10
Doomsday Dallas
2017/18 SB Champs

http://tv.redwolf.com.au/xfiles/3x13.php

Quote:
Mulder: When we were here before —

Zirinka: I'm just waiting for authorisation.

Mulder: I'm a Federal Agent!

Zirinka: Last I heard, the federal government couldn't pay its bills. Okay, you're good for up to 300 bucks.

Mulder: All right.

Zirinka: How can I help you?

Mulder: You said that you knew why people were behaving so strangely around here.

Zirinka: Well, same reason that my dog's been trying to mate with the gas barbeque for the last two months.

Mulder: You said it was planetary.

Zirinka: Once every 84 years, Mercury, Mars and Uranus come into conjunction. Only this year Uranus is in the house of Aquarius.

Mulder: That's a bad thing?

Zirinka: Bad, like an Urwin Allen movie. I mean, things are going to fall out of the sky, disaster lies in wait. Especially around here.

Mulder: Why here?

Zirinka: Well, we're in a geological vortex, a high intensity meridian. [Mulder shakes his head in confusion] A cosmic g-spot. All culminating on January 12th, when the planets come into perfect alignment. Which would be.. [Checks watch] today. Hey!

Mulder: But why is this affecting everyone?

Zirinka: Well, some more than others. Relationships are going to suck, significant dates can exaggerate the effects.

Mulder: What if today was my birthday?

Zirinka: Then I'd say happy birthday. Unless of course you were born in 1979, and then I'd call the police. You'd have a Jupiter/Uranus opposition, forming what's called a grand square, where all the planets align into a cross. All the energy of the cosmos would be focussed on you.

Old 09-28-2017, 08:45 AM   #11
Doomsday Dallas
2017/18 SB Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomsday Dallas

I am "chosen".... it has begun

How Powerful We Can Be
Old 09-28-2017, 08:50 AM   #12
Doomsday Dallas
2017/18 SB Champs

Tarantino on Shyamalan's Unbreakable

Old 09-28-2017, 09:32 AM   #13
JohnnySic
green is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando Magic
100% false.

Die Hard with a Vengeance was absolutely fan ****ing tastic. Honestly for my own personal enjoyment, it was better than the first.

Die Hard 3 > Die Hard 1 > you can jumble everything else together > Die Hard 2
Die Hard with a Vengeance was the definition of hot garbage.

Where to begin?

1.) The move suffers from "James Bond Madman" syndrome. The bad guys could have killed McLain at any time, but would rather play "games" with him. "Lets tie him up below docks! No way he escaped from that!" "Lets send him into a black neighborhood with that sign!" What if those guys killed him? Game over.

2.) Samuel Jackson's presence is completely unnecessary and a blatant attempt to have a black presence in the movie. Its as if the producers said: "Hey! These movies are popular with black people. Lets give them a black character to root for, and fill the movie with "white people" jokes!" At times I felt like I was watching a Dave Chappelle skit.

3.) The first Die Hard worked because McLain was a normal guy in an extraordinary situation. Here, he's an everyman's version of Rambo.

Utter crap.
JohnnySic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 10:51 AM   #14
Orlando Magic
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnySic
Die Hard with a Vengeance was the definition of hot garbage.

Where to begin?

1.) The move suffers from "James Bond Madman" syndrome. The bad guys could have killed McLain at any time, but would rather play "games" with him. "Lets tie him up below docks! No way he escaped from that!" "Lets send him into a black neighborhood with that sign!" What if those guys killed him? Game over.

Uh that was a central part of the plot that was explained... it was never about McClain living or dying or the games he made him play... it was about making everyone think that Hanz's brother was out to torture McClain so they could rob the federal reserve of the gold...

Quote:
2.) Samuel Jackson's presence is completely unnecessary and a blatant attempt to have a black presence in the movie. Its as if the producers said: "Hey! These movies are popular with black people. Lets give them a black character to root for, and fill the movie with "white people" jokes!" At times I felt like I was watching a Dave Chappelle skit.

I don't think his character was written in for black people specifically as much as Die Hard was probably piggybacking off of the success of the dynamic of Bev Hills Cop and Lethal Weapon interracial partnerships... I thought their banter added to the movie... not detracted.

Quote:
3.) The first Die Hard worked because McLain was a normal guy in an extraordinary situation. Here, he's an everyman's version of Rambo.

What? He was a cop from NY in the first film too that did plenty of Rambo shit in the first film... Just what the hell?

Quote:
Utter crap.

If you don't like it that's fine but your reasoning makes no sense... better to not give reasoning than giving me some trashy nonsensical explanation...
Orlando Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 12:22 AM   #15
eliteballer
Very good NBA starter

How the heck do you have it take place only 6 years earlier and use completely different actors for the same characters.

Willis IS John Mclaine.
eliteballer is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: