Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 05-01-2017, 09:48 AM   #271
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Default Re: 2017 Draft Discussion

Garrett had over half his sacks and 25 percent of his tackles last year against UT San Antonio.

His freshman year he has 75 percent of his sacks against Lamar, Rice and Louisiana Monroe.

His second year he had almost 50 percent of his sacks against Arizona state and Nevada.

Correct me if I am wrong but all of Barnetts production came against SEC competition last year or in the bowl game.

His second year all of his production was in conference play or bowl games except one sack.

His freshman year all his production was against SEC.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 03:02 PM   #272
TheSilentKiller
NBA Legend

Lions quietly had a draft that I rock with. Addressed concerns for the secondary and got a wr with high potential. B+ imo
TheSilentKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:52 PM   #273
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine
Garrett had over half his sacks and 25 percent of his tackles last year against UT San Antonio.

His freshman year he has 75 percent of his sacks against Lamar, Rice and Louisiana Monroe.

His second year he had almost 50 percent of his sacks against Arizona state and Nevada.

Correct me if I am wrong but all of Barnetts production came against SEC competition last year or in the bowl game.

His second year all of his production was in conference play or bowl games except one sack.

His freshman year all his production was against SEC.

I think people are being awfully selective in how they're choosing evaluate Garrett versus everyone else.

For instance, despite suffering an ankle injury the week before against Tennessee in 2016 that his coach said would have ended a lot of players' seasons -- especially when they're likely to be the No. 1 pick regardless -- he still played at Alabama the following week. No, he didn't record a sack, but he had 7 tackles and 3.5 TFL.

For the sake of comparison, that is more tackles than Barnett had in any SEC game in 2016 and more TFL than Barnett had in any game in 2015 or 2016.

No doubt, his sack numbers plummeted after getting injured, but he was still productive and maybe the fact that he chose to continue to play regardless of his seat atop the 2017 draft board tells us more about him than his production thereafter?

The idea that Garrett couldn't produce when faced with SEC talent over the course of his career, though, I think is unfair. Garrett had 7 tackles, 2 for loss, a forced fumble and an interception going against Laremy Tunsil in 2015 ... far and away the top tackle in the country at the time.

Arguing how these guys will do on the next level is a pointless endeavor.

We'll all see how he does together. If he fails to come close to his expectations, I'll freely admit it (I'm usually ultra-negative about the Browns in general) and it will suck.

But -- for now -- I'm happy with the pick.

Maybe they'll both be really good?
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 12:07 AM   #274
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

You can't compare college stats like that, Garrett was the entire defense, he's an athletic freak of nature and significantly bigger than Barnett. There is no way in hell Eagles had Barnett higher than Myles on their big board.
~primetime~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 11:06 AM   #275
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Garrets edge rushing partner on the other side was just drafted in the mid 3rd. He had one of the most highly rated freshman or sophomore DT. His safety got drafted in the second round in this draft. He played with a 3rd round corner his sophomore season along with the aforementioned players.

Barnett had no defensive teammates drafted last year or his freshman year and this year he had a 3rd round corner and 4th round ILB.

If Myles was "the entire defense" what does that make Barnett who was surrounded by less NFL talent?

Last edited by Carbine : 05-02-2017 at 11:18 AM.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:17 AM   #276
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
I think people are being awfully selective in how they're choosing evaluate Garrett versus everyone else.

For instance, despite suffering an ankle injury the week before against Tennessee in 2016 that his coach said would have ended a lot of players' seasons -- especially when they're likely to be the No. 1 pick regardless -- he still played at Alabama the following week. No, he didn't record a sack, but he had 7 tackles and 3.5 TFL.

For the sake of comparison, that is more tackles than Barnett had in any SEC game in 2016 and more TFL than Barnett had in any game in 2015 or 2016.

No doubt, his sack numbers plummeted after getting injured, but he was still productive and maybe the fact that he chose to continue to play regardless of his seat atop the 2017 draft board tells us more about him than his production thereafter?

The idea that Garrett couldn't produce when faced with SEC talent over the course of his career, though, I think is unfair. Garrett had 7 tackles, 2 for loss, a forced fumble and an interception going against Laremy Tunsil in 2015 ... far and away the top tackle in the country at the time.

Arguing how these guys will do on the next level is a pointless endeavor.

We'll all see how he does together. If he fails to come close to his expectations, I'll freely admit it (I'm usually ultra-negative about the Browns in general) and it will suck.

But -- for now -- I'm happy with the pick.

Maybe they'll both be really good?

It's not selective, just stating what actually happened. If we're going to compare stats like that, give me the guy who did it all against SEC competition vs the likes of UM San Antonio, Nevada, etc.

I like Garrett, he should have been the #1 pick. It's just when I hear guys talk about Garretts elite production in college, well it was against scrub ass college teams with left tackles who will be Managers in the work force, not playing football after they graduate.

Garrett played 25 games against college football teams I have heard of plus bowl games, he has 10.5 sacks in those games. Not sure about TFL's.....but it's very fair to question a guy RELATIVE TO THE HYPE on that stat alone.

I want to see more production vs good competition if you're the consensus #1 overall prospect. I don't care if he racked up 19.5 sacks in 6 games against future business Managers.
Old 05-17-2017, 04:12 PM   #277
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Turns out the Browns may have gotten a huge steal with Florida State defensive tackle Caleb Brantley. He was projected to be a second round pick before battery charges were brought against him. He tumbled to the sixth round where Cleveland snagged him.

Today, Gainesville police announced the charges were being dropped due to "insufficient evidence." He has maintained his innocence throughout.

So, the gamble paid off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCG3gt-QgVw
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: