Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-28-2007, 12:39 AM   #106
hateraid
Is it in you?

hateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: OT:Told all you MMA posers Chuck Liddell would get eaten alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe24
Do you guys pay for the matches, go to a bar or download the torrent? I'm just wondering because the price is so high.

I just get a MMA party going and get everybody to chip in. I got to TV's in my livingroom. Also a place where my buddies come to watch any sporting event, or karaoke.
hateraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 12:45 AM   #107
Zombles
Local High School Star

Zombles has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMacsOneGoodEye
I'm gonna miss those soccer kicks and stomps.

yeah, but if they add knees to the head of a grounded opponent and keep soccer kicks + stomps to the body i'll be content.

Quote:
Do you guys pay for the matches, go to a bar or download the torrent? I'm just wondering because the price is so high.

Used to torrent them, nowadays my Jits club gets together to eat Brazilian BBQ and watch the card for every UFC/Pride event.

had to miss the last one so I could multi-task with the WCF though.

Last edited by Zombles : 05-28-2007 at 12:48 AM.
Zombles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 12:54 AM   #108
TMacsOneGoodEye
College star

TMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this board

Quote:

Watch them live. Get some friends to pitch in. I hate going to the pub to watch them. Bunch of knuckleheads over there. Get a chair broken over your face.

TMacsOneGoodEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 12:55 AM   #109
TMacsOneGoodEye
College star

TMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombles
yeah, but if they add knees to the head of a grounded opponent and keep soccer kicks + stomps to the body i'll be content.

Dana says he's commissioning the NSAC for that BIG TIME. It would really cure the problem of lay n praying big time. It would be the best thing for the sport.
TMacsOneGoodEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 01:19 AM   #110
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year

fatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREWstonRockets
I still prefer boxing over MMA. IMO, the best fights in MMA are ones where guys stand and strike. Not many people want to see the match go to the ground and watch 2 men lay on each other for long periods of time.

Boxing is not dead and will never die. MMA will never take over boxing. The heavyweight division isn't all that but all the action is in the lower weight classes. To the average fan, boxing might not appeal to them anymore because theres no big name heavyweights. But ask anybody that knows boxing and they'll tell you that there has been plently of classic fights ever since the heavyweights fell off. The featherweight division is where its at. Non-stop slug fest, 2 guys going all out giving the fans a real fight to watch. No hate on MMA, but dudes that say boxing is dead are talking out their a s s.
Am I really talking out of my ass? Or are the PPV numbers lying, homeboy?

You're one talking out your ass........

Check the numbers. MMA has almost doubled boxing in PPV sells. Fact.

Goodbye.
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 03:58 AM   #111
sunsfan1357
Word.

sunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy11
Am I really talking out of my ass? Or are the PPV numbers lying, homeboy?

You're one talking out your ass........

Check the numbers. MMA has almost doubled boxing in PPV sells. Fact.

Goodbye.

Check the numbers after the DLH/PBF fight? If boxing has one event a month on PPV where they advertise like crazy like it's going to be the greatest event in history then I'm sure ho-hum boxing events with horrible lineups would get results in buys too.

I've already stated that I've lost most interest in MMA in a different thread. Like PBF said, turned out to be a fad for me. It's just not interesting to me anymore that someone who is 17 can wake up one day and say "I'm going to be a UFC fighter!" take two years of jiu-jitsu lessons and be a pro. I hear there's a guy on the new TUF that has not even had a pro fight but they kept him on the show. I'll still prob watch the finale for that though since Nate is the hometown hero. Wait, did I just give the ending away?
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 11:24 AM   #112
hateraid
Is it in you?

hateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMacsOneGoodEye
Watch them live. Get some friends to pitch in. I hate going to the pub to watch them. Bunch of knuckleheads over there. Get a chair broken over your face.

Is that guys smoking a spliff in the background!?
hateraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 01:02 PM   #113
fatboy11

fatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsfan1357
Check the numbers after the DLH/PBF fight? If boxing has one event a month on PPV where they advertise like crazy like it's going to be the greatest event in history then I'm sure ho-hum boxing events with horrible lineups would get results in buys too.

I've already stated that I've lost most interest in MMA in a different thread. Like PBF said, turned out to be a fad for me. It's just not interesting to me anymore that someone who is 17 can wake up one day and say "I'm going to be a UFC fighter!" take two years of jiu-jitsu lessons and be a pro. I hear there's a guy on the new TUF that has not even had a pro fight but they kept him on the show. I'll still prob watch the finale for that though since Nate is the hometown hero. Wait, did I just give the ending away?
Thanks for the spoiler, ass.

And you're trying to compare the two sports too much. They aren't the same.
Old 05-28-2007, 03:19 PM   #114
ErhnamDjinn
Homo homini lupus est

ErhnamDjinn is considered somewhat coolErhnamDjinn is considered somewhat cool

omg was browsing sherdog funny sh!t
ErhnamDjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 03:36 PM   #115
SCREWstonRockets
Houston Texan

SCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy11

And you're trying to compare the two sports too much. They aren't the same.

Exactly. You are the one trying to compare PPV numbers when their schedules are completely different. If this was WWE, then you have a case. sunsfan1357 hit it right on the spot. But seriously, I don't understand why MMA fanboys have to do to such lengths to defend MMA/and bash boxing. Just let the two sports be. Its always the MMA fanboys start the whole "boxing is dead" argument and then go mental when boxing fans come in and talk smack back. Just sit back, watch your mixed martial arts and keep dreaming that MMA will reach the level of Professional Boxing.

Hell, you could bring back Mike Tyson's old washed up dead career, put him in the ring in Vegas and that match alone will blow UFC pay-per view numbers out the roof. I know it makes you cry to hear it but Boxing will never die.
SCREWstonRockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 03:42 PM   #116
Zombles
Local High School Star

Zombles has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREWstonRockets
But seriously, I don't understand why MMA fanboys have to do to such lengths to defend MMA/and bash boxing. Just let the two sports be. Its always the MMA fanboys start the whole "boxing is dead" argument and then go mental when boxing fans come in and talk smack back. Just sit back, watch your mixed martial arts and keep dreaming that MMA will reach the level of Professional Boxing.

Tell that to PBF or Bernard Hopkins. No MMA fighter ever came out slamming boxing.

And if 4 different major American titles, corrupt promoters, guys dodging one another, absolutely horrible HW and LHW divisions, a bunch of names that casual fans don't recognize, with no new prospects, is the level professional boxing is currently at, I pray MMA never reaches it.

boxing is a beautiful sport at times, but MMA is not kill boxing. Boxing is killing boxing. Don King has been killing boxing for 20 years.
Zombles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 03:55 PM   #117
SCREWstonRockets
Houston Texan

SCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombles
Tell that to PBF or Bernard Hopkins. No MMA fighter ever came out slamming boxing.

And if 4 different major American titles, corrupt promoters, guys dodging one another, absolutely horrible HW and LHW divisions, a bunch of names that casual fans don't recognize, with no new prospects, is the level professional boxing is currently at, I pray MMA never reaches it.

I was talking about MMA fans slamming boxing, not the fighters. But the same thing can be said about MMA. UFC is not the only MMA promotion in the USA. How many casual fans know the names of these MMA fighters that they see? Just like boxing, they have their handful of big names and a big load of no namers. No new prospects? C'mon now you should know that boxers don't blow up over night. As opposed to MMA, boxers have less fights. It could take a boxer 5-10 years to get on the map.

I agree the HW/LHW divisions have been declining but people should know the best fights now are in the lower weight classes. Just because they aren't the biggest fighters doesn't mean they can't throw down. Some of the best fights in history are not HW/LHW fights. One division does not control the sport, nor does it kill it. If people would just open their minds and not worry about how big or muscular the boxers should be, they would be able to appreciate the beauty that boxing still holds.
SCREWstonRockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 04:21 PM   #118
fatboy11

The numbers and interest are there for MMA. Why is "boxing as too much history" always the response?

The Beatles have a ton of fu*king history, but they're done. Dead. Over. A part of the past.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: