Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-28-2007, 01:58 PM   #31
l3bronBryant
I airball my layups

Default Re: Who is the guitar hero of our day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo
El Heffe from NOFX

i do enjoy NOFX but i just cant seriously say that not dissing punk or anything its just like doesnt seem like the hardest thing to play yet i bet it is ......i.e guitar noob right here
l3bronBryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 02:21 PM   #32
The_Masterplan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBballer
Why does modern rock suck so much? From what I hear on the radio bands like Dashboard, John Mayer, and Chris Daughtry are considered the better rock bands, and I pretty much hate most of them (except for a few songs from Dash). It was good in the 90's and it seemed like it just took one big dive. I like bands like Nirvana, RHCP, Guns and Roses, Incubus (Make yourself), Oasis is pretty good, Offspring and I even like some of the older Dashboard Confessional (although as time passes I seem to dislike it more and more.)

Can anybody name any good rock/alternative records lately (other then velvet revolver)?

I like those bands too. Mainly Oasis though since they are my favorite band
The_Masterplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 02:23 PM   #33
The_Masterplan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
The number of good modern rock bands is so limited it's pathetic. Obviously the Foo Fighters are up there. I also really like Avenged Sevenfold, I catch sh*t from people every time I tell them that though. Hinder and Nickelback have potential but IMO have yet to fulfill it. I rarely listen to the radio and never watch MTV so I don't know any others really.

And Masterplan, so are you excluding players from older generations that are still active, i.e. Slash, Tom Morello, Angus Young? b/c I think that that would include Frusciante as well.

Nah, but slash was the old guitar hero as was Angus Young but Tom Morello hasnt been that awesome with audioslave.

Frusciante is still up there.
Old 05-28-2007, 02:37 PM   #34
Randy
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Masterplan
Nah, but slash was the old guitar hero as was Angus Young but Tom Morello hasnt been that awesome with audioslave.

Frusciante is still up there.

Good thing Audioslave broke up, I really did not like them for some reason. I loved Soudgarden and RATM, but can't stand Audioslave.

I was just wondering your opinion of Morello because he and Frusciante came out at around the same time and weren't too far behind Slash.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 02:46 PM   #35
The_Masterplan
Banned

morello's first album with rage is theri best. I like the guitar/fret work in most of the songs in those. But if you actually check out the majority of the tabs a lot of the songs used 4th-6th strings frets 0-5 A LOT and lots of muting.

I noticed that and I could sort of tell from the sound of the songs. That sort of turned me off a little bit but the only way he makes it sound different is through his effects. But his riffs are great are you could tell are morello.

Renegades isnt that great of a guitar CD for him. The first is his best and RATM best in my opinion.

But there is only so much tom morello can do with his type of style.
Old 05-28-2007, 03:07 PM   #36
Hotlantadude81
NBA rookie of the year

The closest thing was Kenny Wayne Shepherd, but he went soft on his album and started playing generic album rock.
Hotlantadude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 08:04 PM   #37
The_Masterplan
Banned

who is kenny wayne? Play for any bands?
Old 05-28-2007, 08:10 PM   #38
Randy
NBA sixth man of the year

He is a blue player who had a hit in the late 90's (I believe) called, "Blue on Black", I'm sure you've heard it before. He turns 30 this year so he was pretty young when he was at his popularity peak.

Live version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atS4w44zYA4
Studio Version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BysNpQDRwI
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 08:28 PM   #39
TMacsOneGoodEye
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombles
I'm assuming modern rock + people still alive.

Omar Rodriguez Lopez

John Frusciante

Johnny Greenwood

This is the only good list here, and even this one is suspect. Omar is good but he's too sloppy, and Frusciante played most of the guitat on Ampertuchere (sp?). He's really good though.

John Mayer? Doesn't he play cheesy pop ballads on adult rock stations? Gross.

I'd like to throw Josh Homme of Queens Of The Stone Age in the mix. He deserves to be there.

Wow, some of your guys taste of what you consider the best is awful. Especially The_Masterplan, you got typical white boy listening to whatever MTV tells you to syndrome. Yikes, I feel bad for you when you go to college and run into indie hipsters.
TMacsOneGoodEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 09:18 PM   #40
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

You can't base "modern rock" off of MTV. Even their Rock Countdown is very watered down. Fuse used to be a good tv station for modern rock but now it's either poppy crap or really ****ty screamo bands.

Some good modern rock bands are: Chevelle, Breaking Benjamin, Muse, A Perfect Circle, Godsmack, Incubus, and the Lostprophets.
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 11:31 PM   #41
Ben Jordan
Good High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmeh
Some good modern rock bands are: Chevelle, Breaking Benjamin, Muse, A Perfect Circle, Godsmack, Incubus, and the Lostprophets.

No, those are not some good modern rock bands.
The Real Guitar Hero is French Beneger
Check him out: http://youtube.com/watch?v=in2cpZKI-qI
Ben Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 02:30 AM   #42
JtotheIzzo
Admlnlstrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3bronBryant
i do enjoy NOFX but i just cant seriously say that not dissing punk or anything its just like doesnt seem like the hardest thing to play yet i bet it is ......i.e guitar noob right here

he is no virtuoso, I was only half serious, although I do think NOFX are great
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 02:35 AM   #43
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMacsOneGoodEye
This is the only good list here, and even this one is suspect. Omar is good but he's too sloppy, and Frusciante played most of the guitat on Ampertuchere (sp?). He's really good though.

John Mayer? Doesn't he play cheesy pop ballads on adult rock stations? Gross.

I'd like to throw Josh Homme of Queens Of The Stone Age in the mix. He deserves to be there.

Wow, some of your guys taste of what you consider the best is awful. Especially The_Masterplan, you got typical white boy listening to whatever MTV tells you to syndrome. Yikes, I feel bad for you when you go to college and run into indie hipsters.

Indie Hipsters.

I'd rather roll with a bunch of pop queens than "indie hipsters".

Of course I'd rather roll with a bunch of metal heads over anything else(not the greasy ones though cause that just shows they don't respect themselves as human beings).
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 02:42 AM   #44
El Kabong
Where Eagles Dare

I always liked Dave Mustaine from Megadeth. Don't know if he can still go anymore or not though. I need to get the new album.
El Kabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 02:50 AM   #45
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Kabong
I always liked Dave Mustaine from Megadeth. Don't know if he can still go anymore or not though. I need to get the new album.

Dude, everyone who's made up Megadeth over the years are my guitar heros.

They are such brilliant musicians.

I love the guitar combo (along with the drumming) on Judas Priest's Painkiller. Play off each other so well even if that kinda metal isn't usually my cup of tea.

I have biases that don't allow me to appreciate some of the guitarists you guys have mentioned. Not saying I can't see who's good, but I don't like them as much.

Last edited by i seen hippos : 05-29-2007 at 02:58 AM.
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: