Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-28-2007, 11:28 AM   #1
timmyD
I hit open layups

timmyD has an OK reputation so far
Default UFC vs. Boxing

is there any real contest? i say no, its like comparing and 1 to nba, it not close. ufc only matches boxing in one thing, tenacity, and then similiarities stop, like and got nba handles but thats where it stops. hit me back i want to hear a legit argument from a ufc stand point
timmyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 12:07 PM   #2
l3bronBryant
I airball my layups

l3bronBryant has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: UFC vs. Boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyD
is there any real contest? i say no, its like comparing and 1 to nba, it not close. ufc only matches boxing in one thing, tenacity, and then similiarities stop, like and got nba handles but thats where it stops. hit me back i want to hear a legit argument from a ufc stand point

sorry to dissapoint u but ufc is just an all out brawl, boxing being such a fine art means that these people(i.e boxers) know how to fight and know how to dodge punches that means that no matter what a boxer in same weight category as a ufc would kill them because of the sheer speed and accuracy of punches.
l3bronBryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 12:19 PM   #3
rezznor
Nosetradamus

rezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3bronBryant
sorry to dissapoint u but ufc is just an all out brawl, boxing being such a fine art means that these people(i.e boxers) know how to fight and know how to dodge punches that means that no matter what a boxer in same weight category as a ufc would kill them because of the sheer speed and accuracy of punches.
in a boxing match the boxer would win. in a ufc match the ufc fighter would win. in a street fight the ufc fighter would kill the boxer.
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 12:21 PM   #4
l3bronBryant
I airball my layups

l3bronBryant has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezznor
in a boxing match the boxer would win. in a ufc match the ufc fighter would win. in a street fight the ufc fighter would kill the boxer.

doubt it quite highly because a ufc fighter would throw punches but a boxer has the pace and the athletic advantage to beat them up
l3bronBryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 01:05 PM   #5
0ne50
Local High School Star

0ne50 has an OK reputation so far

The most exciting finishing move in combat is two oponents standing upright, the one knocked out via knuckle sandwich.

Kicking is sneaky

choking is boring

Would other sports be better if kicking and grapling was accepted. Would my football league be better if a defender could round house kick a ball carrier or a DB could choke a WR in the secondary? If my league consisted of an all out brawl when the ball is snapped and the last man standing could grab the football and go for the touch down? Would my league be better than he NFL. Hell is the arena football league better than the NFl? Would LT be an effective RB in arena football?

That is the argument for the UFC. It's supposed to be better than Boxing. Not tacticle match ups. Boxing has an artistic quality. The UFC is without that.

People who watch UFC are looking for the car wreck moment. They are not seeing anything that's skillfully superior, than a bullsh*t street fight. Didn't they used to call it streetfighting?
0ne50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 02:43 PM   #6
TMacsOneGoodEye
College star

TMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this board

It's called MMA you retard. Mixed Martial Arts.

Asking what's better between UFC and Boxing is like asking what's better between the San Antonio Spurs and the NFL.

Last edited by TMacsOneGoodEye : 05-28-2007 at 02:54 PM.
TMacsOneGoodEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 02:50 PM   #7
JJ baller 69
Can barely lace up my sneakers

JJ baller 69 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
People who watch UFC are looking for the car wreck moment. They are not seeing anything that's skillfully superior, than a bullsh*t street fight. Didn't they used to call it streetfighting?

i can disrespect boxing the way u disrespect mma, but i am not gonna do it. it's pointless.

watch shogun vs. rampage and wandy's fights and u will see what u haven't seen in mma.
JJ baller 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 02:58 PM   #8
0ne50
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ baller 69
i can disrespect boxing the way u disrespect mma, but i am not gonna do it. it's pointless.

watch shogun vs. rampage and wandy's fights and u will see what u haven't seen in mma.
I know it's pointless. It takes no effort at all. That's what MMA has been doning for the last decade or so. MMA tries to trash boxing to validate it's existence. Like some real boxing fan like me is going to stop watching boxing. All it does is make me not like MMA.
Old 05-28-2007, 03:04 PM   #9
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year

fatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ne50
I know it's pointless. It takes no effort at all. That's what MMA has been doning for the last decade or so. MMA tries to trash boxing to validate it's existence. Like some real boxing fan like me is going to stop watching boxing. All it does is make me not like MMA.
When has MMA trashed boxing?

Well, if you're talking about what they're doing to them in PPV sells then I see what you're saying but otherwise, no, I don't understand.
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 03:12 PM   #10
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

TheGame414 has decent reputationTheGame414 has decent reputation

I've never been a boxing fan, so I don't know enough about it to say one's better than the other. It just never interested me. I understand its appeal, and perhaps if I hadn't grown up in an era when boxing was in such disrepair I'd have more interest in it.

I'm not a diehard MMA fan- though I did order the PPV on Saturday- but I enjoy it.

Just skimming over this thread, I see someone referred to it as "streetfighting." Once upon a time, that's exactly what it was. There were no rules, no weight classes. The current UFC bears zero resemblance to the one that John McCain correctly called "human cockfighting." It's now as legitimized a sport as any.

I'm by no means a seasoned fight fan, so my opinion may not be one to take to heart. But just punching? Only being able to beat someone with your fists? That's nice, but I'd rather see a fight that can end in a multitude of ways. I'd rather see a fighter who can beat his opponent 10 different ways.

MMA fighters just seem like more complete athletes to me. I think there's a reason you don't see a lot of top-flight mixed martial artists come from boxing backgrounds.
TheGame414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 03:15 PM   #11
Zombles
Local High School Star

Zombles has decent reputation

I grew up a boxing fan, still enjoy the occasional fight/fighter, and I don't really see why people have to compare the two.

MMA is fighting with limited rules to protect the fighters.
Boxing is not fighting. Boxing is boxing.

And for the guys who say MMA is nothing more than a street fight, MMA fighters consist of Division 1 NCAA Wrestling Champions, Olympic Medalist Wrestlers, Olympic medalist Judoka, dozens of BJJ black belts, Pan Am champions, Mundial champions, Abu Dhabi submission grappling champions, K-1 kickboxers.

not sure how many of those you see in your average brawl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ne50
The most exciting finishing move in combat is two opponents standing upright, the one knocked out via knuckle sandwich.

Kicking is sneaky

wtf is this ish?

kicking is sneaky? a roundhouse kick to the head is the most telegraphed move you can do.

Last edited by Zombles : 05-28-2007 at 03:18 PM.
Zombles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 03:33 PM   #12
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

TheGame414 has decent reputationTheGame414 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombles
I grew up a boxing fan, still enjoy the occasional fight/fighter, and I don't really see why people have to compare the two.

MMA is fighting with limited rules to protect the fighters.
Boxing is not fighting. Boxing is boxing.

And for the guys who say MMA is nothing more than a street fight, MMA fighters consist of Division 1 NCAA Wrestling Champions, Olympic Medalist Wrestlers, Olympic medalist Judoka, dozens of BJJ black belts, Pan Am champions, Mundial champions, Abu Dhabi submission grappling champions, K-1 kickboxers.

not sure how many of those you see in your average brawl.

wtf is this ish?

kicking is sneaky? a roundhouse kick to the head is the most telegraphed move you can do.
Agree completely. MMA fighters are one of the most well-rounded and talented groups of athletes as you'll find anywhere. I didn't get the "kicking is sneaky" comment either. Sneaky is hitting someone from behind. Don't really see anything sneaky about swinging a huge part of your body at a person looking directly at you.

Despite the inherent violence of MMA, I'm not aware of any MMA-related fatalities, whereas one can find a number of deaths related to boxing and even football. I think it's fair to call it a safer sport than boxing.

From last week's SI cover story:

Quote:
"You're going to see worse cuts in MMA than in boxing, especially with longer rounds, and there are more knockouts," says Dr. Margaret Goodman, chairwoman of the Nevada State Athletic Commission's Medical Advisory Board. "But overall, is it safer than boxing? I think so. The guys [submit], and it's over. You don't have standing eight counts, you don't have 10 rounds of guys taking shots to the head."

Last edited by TheGame414 : 05-28-2007 at 03:37 PM.
TheGame414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 03:39 PM   #13
0ne50
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy11
When has MMA trashed boxing?

Well, if you're talking about what they're doing to them in PPV sells then I see what you're saying but otherwise, no, I don't understand.
When has sales ever equated to quality? Britany Spears sold a lot, let's see if her quality get her back to the top.

There is a reason that Boxing has been the no. 1 sport for a century. And it's not because MMA was just dicovered a decade and a half ago. It's because today's people are trendy. So trendy in fact, that a fighting style that has never been anything other than street fighting is now a "new phenomenon".

Funny thing is, some guy was on ESPN all last weekend promoting "Chuck's big fight" he was to avenge his loss and surplant himself and the top dog. Meanwhile this guy went on about 10 minutes about how boxing is only one aspect of fighting and MMA is better, and so on and so forth. NO aspect of MMA is Boxing, get that straight. I don't know who the guy is nor his name. All I know is that he was pulling for Chuck "on the low" and this was supposed to be the MMA's takeover moment. Just like a few years ago when ESPN was trying to make it seem like NASCAR was eplacing the NBA as s major sport in America.

What's it going to be next Ultimate Sword Fighting? Boxing has too much history. It has many moments where is captivated a whole country. If you care to dismiss all that for some trendy glorified street fighting then go ahead, I can't tell you what to like.

Last edited by 0ne50 : 05-28-2007 at 03:48 PM.
Old 05-28-2007, 03:41 PM   #14
StroShow4
Certified ISHiot.

StroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

in my opinion, UFC is barbaric and unnecessary violence.. atleast boxing has that "artistic" quality that people have mentioned.
StroShow4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 03:44 PM   #15
0ne50
Local High School Star

Quote:
kicking is sneaky? a roundhouse kick to the head is the most telegraphed move you can do
OK explain how round house kick is the best thing you could come up with to refute that. Like round house kicks are the most common kick in MMA. Get serious. A round house kick is the equivalent of a hay maker. Try again.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: