Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-28-2007, 03:50 PM   #16
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

TheGame414 has decent reputationTheGame414 has decent reputation
Default Re: UFC vs. Boxing

Quote:
OK explain how round house kick is the best thing you could come up with to refute that. Like round house kicks are the most common kick in MMA. Get serious. A round house kick is the equivalent of a hay maker. Try again.
His example was bad, but his point was accurate. Swinging a human leg at someone- at a world-class athlete- fully capable of defending himself who's looking right at you is in no way sneaky. To say so is absurd. If you were to kick the back of his head while he's looking at something else, sure.

You let me know when that happens.

The classification of mixed martial arts as "streetfighting" is as accurate as comparing the NFL to ancient gladiators. A decade ago it would be an accurate description, but it's nowhere near the truth now. The UFC is as legitimate as any other sports league today.

As far as people today being "trendy," you have a point. But what about people who got into following mixed martial arts that were never interested by boxing, like myself? I'm not trashing the sport. I don't know enough about it to do so (I did say it was in "disrepair," but I think even the biggest diehard boxing fan couldn't deny that the boxing business has fallen on relatively hard times), as it's clear you don't know enough about mixed martial arts to trash it.
TheGame414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 03:53 PM   #17
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by StroShow4
in my opinion, UFC is barbaric and unnecessary violence.. atleast boxing has that "artistic" quality that people have mentioned.
I keep hearing the anti-MMA folks describe a UFC that existed in the early-mid 1990's. It's as regulated now as boxing is, and it's a safer sport than boxing, football, and arguably even wrestling (the real kind, I mean, though it's probably safer than pro wrestling as well, for that matter).
Old 05-28-2007, 03:56 PM   #18
Zombles
Local High School Star

Zombles has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ne50
OK explain how round house kick is the best thing you could come up with to refute that. Like round house kicks are the most common kick in MMA. Get serious. A round house kick is the equivalent of a hay maker. Try again.

Actually the roundhouse kick is probably the most common kick used in MMA. Usually it's directed at the lead leg, or the body, but it's still used far more than axe kicks, push kicks, spinning back kicks, or side kicks. In fact that only kick more commonly used is, perhaps, the switch kick, or inside leg kick.

A roundhouse kick to the head is the equivalent of a haymaker, yeah. Well in MMA haymakers are thrown a lot more often and are a lot more effective than in boxing or kickboxing. Can't hide behind big padded gloves.
Zombles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 04:03 PM   #19
rezznor
Nosetradamus

rezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3bronBryant
doubt it quite highly because a ufc fighter would throw punches but a boxer has the pace and the athletic advantage to beat them up
in a street fight its gonna end up on the ground. the only chance a boxer will have is if he gets a punch in before the takedown or if he runs away.
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 04:03 PM   #20
Zombles
Local High School Star

Quote:
in my opinion, UFC is barbaric and unnecessary violence.. atleast boxing has that "artistic" quality that people have mentioned.

That artistic quality, which isn't barbaric and only at a necessary level of violence, has killed a lot more people than MMA.

In fact only 1 person has ever died from an MMA match, which was unsanctioned because he failed to clear his physical for health reasons.

Hell, even the greatest of boxers like Joe Frazier, Muhammad Ali, Marvin Hagler, and, Hitman Hearns, are shells of what they once were because of all the brain damage sustained over the years.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:12 PM   #21
sunsfan1357
Word.

sunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombles

A roundhouse kick to the head is the equivalent of a haymaker, yeah. Well in MMA haymakers are thrown a lot more often and are a lot more effective than in boxing or kickboxing. Can't hide behind big padded gloves.

For most it's a haymaker, but Cro Cop has nearly perfected it. I know you know that, but I just wanted to throw it out there anyway.

Either way, I never really did like MMA more than boxing, but it was pretty close at a point in time. The thing about MMA is that people say someone has to be versed in several different martial arts to be effective thus MMA fighters are more well rounded. I call BS on that. How many fighters do you see implement all forms of martial arts in a fight? The only fighter that consistently uses fight techniques outside of wrestling, kickboxing, BJJ is Karo who uses his Judo throws.

Also, often the fighters are not "well versed" in multiple martial arts skills. They are well versed in one art and know just enough to not get beat by another.

Don't get me wrong, I still do have a spot for MMA, it's just not as great as it was a couple months ago. I'm not trying to bash the sport or anything, hell earlier I threw in an old Bushido DVD. I know MMA probably isn't a trend to most people, but there's just this WWE aspect to it now. Dana White goes on TV all the time using profanity taking sides and all that. Hell, he was supposed to box a fighter in his damn organization. Can you imagine if the face of another sport did that? What if David Stern said, "Hey Shaq if you decide to stick around I'll play you one on one for everyone to watch." It's just been too phony and childish lately especially since Pride has gone under. There's guys like Kimbo Slice getting fights for orgs, what's the point in that?

Really if you think about it there always has been a WWE aspect to MMA, since most Japanese fighters were pro wrestlers before they fought in Pride. Then there were always the freak matchups in Japan with Giant Silva v. Thompson (didn't he fight Akiro as well?). I don't know for some reason I feel like I'm going around in circles and mumbling and not making sense anymore so I'll just stop by saying that I'll watching both, but I'll just watch UFC a whole lot less.
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 04:15 PM   #22
0ne50
Local High School Star

0ne50 has an OK reputation so far

You are making my point for me. If such a kick is so telegraped and used so common. The only way to land one is have soemone walk right into it ie trap. But in a sport where kicking is perfectly legal, that's not the reason I said kicking is sneaky. A small faction of men, myself included feels like kicking is a b*tch move, like scratching, kneeing in the nuts, ecetera.

Anyway I can say that Zombie and Game aren't the type to down boxing. You too just like MMA better. I'd be crazy to think I could tell you what to like better.

However I thought it was tasteless how they promoted the "Chuck" fight over the weekend. .
0ne50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 04:20 PM   #23
StroShow4
Certified ISHiot.

StroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombles
That artistic quality, which isn't barbaric and only at a necessary level of violence, has killed a lot more people than MMA.

In fact only 1 person has ever died from an MMA match, which was unsanctioned because he failed to clear his physical for health reasons.

Hell, even the greatest of boxers like Joe Frazier, Muhammad Ali, Marvin Hagler, and, Hitman Hearns, are shells of what they once were because of all the brain damage sustained over the years.

wait a while. ufc hasnt been around very long, if ufc remains a publicized "sport" we will see similar and probably worse consequences.
StroShow4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 04:21 PM   #24
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Ive never really watched MMA closely or even often for that matter but i cant get into it like i can boxing. It seems more lumbering and slow because of people looking for the take down and stuff like that. I love the fluidity in boxing and the stuf that is involved like the footwork, parrying, defence, and a fighter looking to find a spot and when he finally does WHAM his opponent is down. In MMA there seems to be less patience where a fighter just rushes in instead of setting up the oppponent or working him til you can get a shot in.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 04:25 PM   #25
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ne50
You are making my point for me. If such a kick is so telegraped and used so common. The only way to land one is have soemone walk right into it ie trap. But in a sport where kicking is perfectly legal, that's not the reason I said kicking is sneaky. A small faction of men, myself included feels like kicking is a b*tch move, like scratching, kneeing in the nuts, ecetera.

Anyway I can say that Zombie and Game aren't the type to down boxing. You too just like MMA better. I'd be crazy to think I could tell you what to like better.

However I thought it was tasteless how they promoted the "Chuck" fight over the weekend. .
I didn't really pay much attention to how the fight was promoted. That it was Chuck Liddell v. Rampage Jackson was all I needed to know.

I still don't see how kicking is a ***** move, though. If you're just flailing around aimlessly to keep someone away from you, that's one thing, but that'd be just as true as if you were flailing away with your arms, also. I just don't see how it's comparable to scratching or biting or kneeing someone in the nuts.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:31 PM   #26
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

Quote:
wait a while. ufc hasnt been around very long, if ufc remains a publicized "sport" we will see similar and probably worse consequences.
I wouldn't bet on it.

It's a completely different type of violence. In boxing your head is getting beaten in for 12 rounds. You've got the 10 counts or the standing eight-counts or whatever it is, and they let you get back up and get your head bashed in some more.

In MMA, if you get your ass knocked down, the other guy is gonna get on top of you and start pummeling, but as soon as that happens, the fight is stopped. Personally, I thought the Liddell/Jackson fight was stopped TOO quickly at first; I thought Chuck was still in okay shape even after Rampage knocked him down. After seeing the replay I changed my mind, but nonetheless, the point is that UFC looks out for the well-being of their fighters.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:35 PM   #27
0ne50
Local High School Star

0ne50 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGame414
I didn't really pay much attention to how the fight was promoted. That it was Chuck Liddell v. Rampage Jackson was all I needed to know.

I still don't see how kicking is a ***** move, though. If you're just flailing around aimlessly to keep someone away from you, that's one thing, but that'd be just as true as if you were flailing away with your arms, also. I just don't see how it's comparable to scratching or biting or kneeing someone in the nuts.
They never even showed so much as a head shot photo of the Jackson guy. While they had chuck on predicting he'd knock the guy out. And some fanboy, I don't know who he is but he spoke an awful ot about Chuck and how MMA is better than bocin now. I just hope he is like somekind of commisioner.

Kicking to me is a ***** move like diving at the ankles of a ball carrier in football. That my point of view.
0ne50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 04:54 PM   #28
Zombles
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsfan1357
For most it's a haymaker, but Cro Cop has nearly perfected it. I know you know that, but I just wanted to throw it out there anyway.

Yeah, Cro Cop's head kicks are lethal, and fast, so fast, and some guys like GSP throw them quickly enough to get away with it even against explosive wrestlers like Sherk and Hughes. Most don't have that level of sophistication though.

Quote:
Either way, I never really did like MMA more than boxing, but it was pretty close at a point in time. The thing about MMA is that people say someone has to be versed in several different martial arts to be effective thus MMA fighters are more well rounded. I call BS on that. How many fighters do you see implement all forms of martial arts in a fight? The only fighter that consistently uses fight techniques outside of wrestling, kickboxing, BJJ is Karo who uses his Judo throws.

True, but a lot of this was "settled" in the early UFC days. Karate and Tae Kwan Do were largely proven to be ineffective glam martial arts that didn't belong in actual combat events.

Just so happens that wrestling, kickboxing, and BJJ are the holy trinity of martial arts. That said, within each of those disciplines there are tons of different stylistic approaches. And every now and then we'll get a Sakurai Judo throw, Serra hip toss, Rampage powerbomb, Randelplex, and Thai clinch to break up the monotony.

Quote:
Also, often the fighters are not "well versed" in multiple martial arts skills. They are well versed in one art and know just enough to not get beat by another.

Generally, but the elite, guys like Fedor, GSP, Henderson, Big Nog, Penn, Hughes, Shogun, Gomi, have branched out enough to be able to win a fight in multiple ways.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I still do have a spot for MMA, it's just not as great as it was a couple months ago. I'm not trying to bash the sport or anything, hell earlier I threw in an old Bushido DVD. I know MMA probably isn't a trend to most people, but there's just this WWE aspect to it now. Dana White goes on TV all the time using profanity taking sides and all that. Hell, he was supposed to box a fighter in his damn organization. Can you imagine if the face of another sport did that? What if David Stern said, "Hey Shaq if you decide to stick around I'll play you one on one for everyone to watch." It's just been too phony and childish lately especially since Pride has gone under. There's guys like Kimbo Slice getting fights for orgs, what's the point in that?

Really if you think about it there always has been a WWE aspect to MMA, since most Japanese fighters were pro wrestlers before they fought in Pride. Then there were always the freak matchups in Japan with Giant Silva v. Thompson (didn't he fight Akiro as well?). I don't know for some reason I feel like I'm going around in circles and mumbling and not making sense anymore so I'll just stop by saying that I'll watching both, but I'll just watch UFC a whole lot less.

I'll agree with that. UFC has silly ass advertising, Pride had silly ass freakshow fights.

Most Japanese fighters weren't formerly pro wrestlers though. Fujita/Sakuraba sure, but there hasn't been a relevant Japanese fighter outside of the LW division, besides Okami, in a loooong time. And most of those Bushido veterans come from legit wrestling/Judo backgrounds.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:00 PM   #29
Mayweather
I brick open layups

Mayweather has an OK reputation so far

I like boxing more than MMA. Its obvious by my avatar. Boxing to me is more entertaining to watch. Some boxers have mastered the sweet science, and can stand 1 foot in front of someone and not get hit.

I went to a UFC match recently and it ALL ended in submission. YAWN.

I also dont like the fact that people get hit while they're down. Some of those punches look fierce, but just arm punches because they get no leverage.
Mayweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 06:32 PM   #30
Pyro
Banned

Pyro has an OK reputation so far

The UFC Fighters are the best fighters on earth

You put the best boxer now vs. an "ok" UFC fighter in a cage bare fisted

The UFC fighter would eat him alive
Pyro is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: