Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 05-28-2007, 04:23 PM   #1
hotsizzle
Superstar

hotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation here
Default Kobe is saying all the right things...

Quote:
Kobe Bryant believes he knows the easiest means to the Lakers winning again: Bring Jerry West back.

"I know Jerry West is an undeniably great general manager and a great mentor to me, and if he's out there and available, it makes absolute sense for him to come back and try to get this team to an elite level," Bryant said by phone Sunday. "And I know it would be his focus to do that right now, not wait around."

West's contract as president of the Memphis Grizzlies expires June 30, and there are indications West is entertaining the idea of a return perhaps with a lesser title so that it would not be discourteous toward Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak, West's close friend.

"My main priority is to (Grizzlies owner) Mike Heisley and to finish up with the Memphis Grizzlies," West told ESPN. "I am fiercely loyal to Mike, as I am to Mitch Kupchak. Having said that, I'm a lifelong Laker, and we will see what happens."

At the minimum, West said last month he is open to working as a consultant rather than completely retiring. According to Bryant, Lakers coach Phil Jackson told him in a casual conversation when the team was in Memphis this season that Jackson also would be open to West returning. Jackson and West clashed at times before West stepped down as Lakers executive vice president in 2000.

"It's just a no-brainer," Bryant said.

Bryant has been vocal in his frustration especially over the past month that the Lakers haven't returned to contending status since he re-signed in 2004. But Bryant said West's return alone immediately would mollify him, even if Lakers officials were unable to make the bold upgrades to the roster this summer that Bryant has requested.

"I'll be comfortable with us not being a title contender this summer, because we would have the greatest general manager in the game's history," Bryant said. "That would make me comfortable. I'm sure that would make a lot of people comfortable."

Asked if that was a commentary on Kupchak and Lakers vice president Jim Buss, son of Lakers owner Jerry Buss, Bryant said: "It shouldn't say anything at all about them. It should speak to Jerry West's brilliance. I'm not trying to throw Mitch under the bus or Jim under the bus."

Still, Bryant further articulated frustrations with what the Lakers haven't done in recent years.

"Baron Davis is a good friend of mine, Carlos Boozer is a good friend of mine, Ron Artest is someone I've known since I was a kid those are guys we could've gotten," Bryant said. "For whatever reason, it didn't happen."

Bryant said he didn't know if Jerry Buss, who has been supportive of Kupchak and is grooming son Jim to take over the team, would be open to bringing West back. Lakers spokesman John Black said Sunday: "Jerry West is under contract with the Memphis Grizzlies, so we are not allowed to comment about anything regarding him."

Bryant said he was "making no demands or ultimatums or anything like that." Bryant dismissed speculation that he would want to be traded if West isn't brought back or if certain changes aren't made.

"My wife is from here, I love it here, and I've been a Laker fan my whole life," Bryant said. "My focus is on doing what I can to get this franchise back to where it should be. What I want to do is win with the Los Angeles Lakers and get us back to prominence."

West, who turns 69 today, brought the Lakers four championships and eight NBA Finals appearances in 18 years in charge of the team. West then delivered the Grizzlies their first three playoff berths.

It would make some sense for a competitor such as West to want to link back up with Bryant, one of his favorite all-time players, and rediscover success together. Memphis just skidded to the NBA's worst record in a season that West described as "painful."

http://www.**********.com/forums/kob...rn-t74808.html

hotsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 04:51 PM   #2
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Kobe is saying all the right things...

He is saying the right things absolutely....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe
"Baron Davis is a good friend of mine, Carlos Boozer is a good friend of mine, Ron Artest is someone I've known since I was a kid those are guys we could've gotten," Bryant said. "For whatever reason, it didn't happen."

^ he must have been reading our forum too!

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 06:50 PM   #3
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike

^ he must have been reading our forum too!

wouldn't it be the funniest thing ever if all the rumors are coming from our forum? :
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 06:53 PM   #4
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Kobe has known artest since he was a kid?

Wow....more reason to bring him over. Kobe can control him....OKAY B!TCHHEEESSSSSS!!!!!!!

(jk you guys aren't b!tches...)
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 07:28 PM   #5
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

ok this is the demented part of me talking, plus it's memorial day and i had a couple beers...lol but kobe is saying all the right things now....ok maybe it was 4 beers... anyways what do you think kobe used bucher? told him what bucher said he said then when the crap hit the old casablanca he denied it all..knowing that this would be big news and wanting to squeeze the lakers a little more..? ok it may have been 6 but they have been spread out over the afternoon and the tequlia shots were earlier....lol
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: