Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Utah Jazz Forum

Utah Jazz Forum Utah Jazz forum - Utah Jazz message board

Old 04-15-2017, 04:41 PM   #31
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend

Default Re: 2017 Playoff bound!!!

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=43872717&nid...shooting-guard

Quote:
Though some fans won't like to admit it, J.J. Redick is the best player of the shooting guards above.

Crawford probably is against the Jazz but I'd take Ingles over any of them any day. He does too many things.

Quote:
Alec Burks won't play other than garbage time or in desperate emergencies. He's shooting less than 40 percent from within 3 feet of the rim. Getting Burks layups isn't good offense, and while he's a better 3-point shooter than even he thinks, he's such a mess defensively or in a team concept that he's really hard to put on the floor. That's why Dante Exum has been playing minutes at the backup SG spot recently. Keeping Exum off the ball probably leads to a higher standard of decision-making on the court, and defensively he's definitely big enough to stay with most matchups.

Burks biggest problem is that they've tried to change his game and have him thinking too much. He's an instinctive player. Need to just let him play. They let Hood play that way but not Burks. Seems like he doesn't get calls at the rim for some reason either. He's been pounding the glass. Dante is playing because he is their wonder boy. I'll take Alec over Dante anyday. He's not ready!
Xiao Yao You is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 04:48 PM   #32
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=43866414&nid...on-point-guard

Quote:
Here's one thing that's for sure, though. Hill is the only healthy Jazz point guard who can consistently guard Paul. Mack is just too slow. He struggles at screen navigation and lateral movement, and Paul will tear you to shreds if that's the case. Exum's length could theoretically bother Paul's shots, but Exum has the same screen navigation problem, plus a penchant of fouling frequently. Paul's excellent at baiting contact and getting to the line. Neto could guard him fairly well if he were at 100 percent, but given his sprained ankle, his status is certainly in doubt for the early parts of this series.

Neto outplayed him in a game last year. Probably his best game. Hopefully he'll return later next week

Quote:
If I'm Quin Snyder, I play Hill for exactly as long as Paul plays, and Mack (or another backup) when Felton plays. Paul will still win the matchup, but Hill makes every shot, pass and dribble harder for the Clippers' star. On offense, Hill's clever movement makes him a tough cover. Paul is probably the series' best player, but Hill at close to peak performance can make the matchup closer than many would expect. That might make Hill less effective offensively, but keeping Paul in check would be huge for the Jazz's chances in the series.

I'd look to play Hill more if he's able especially when Neto can play alongside him and maybe take Paul on some possessions. Hill has to play big!
Old 04-15-2017, 05:19 PM   #33
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend

http://saltcityhoops.com/prediction-...z-vs-clippers/

Quote:
Utah is still a young team on an upward trajectory

Might not get better than this year. that's reality.

Quote:
They might get another shot, but if not now, when for the Clips?

Could be even more true for the Jazz. The Clippers have the money to keep their guys together if they want. Jazz don't

Quote:
If guards get dumb fouls on Paul, Rudy gets into foul trouble or just the count gets out of hand the Clippers could cruise through this series.

doubt it's much of an issue
Old 04-15-2017, 05:34 PM   #34
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend

http://saltcityhoops.com/jazz-vs-cli...e-of-the-bigs/

Quote:
Blake Griffin and DeAndre Jordan are slightly better than Rudy Gobert and either Derrick Favors or Joe Johnson, because Blake is very, very good. However, once either of them sits the Jazz should have a huge advantage. Bench minutes will decide which unit of big men wins this series.

huge advantage over Speights? Bass doesn't suck either. After Rudy Jazz have a lot of inconsistency.

Quote:
I’m expecting the Clippers playing small basically whenever Jordan sits. I have to assume they play small and have Luc or Blake guard Rudy. Then on the other side they pull Rudy out of the paint with Mbah a Moute or force him to guard Blake.

Their lack of quality backup is countered by using a big to pull Rudy toward the perimeter.

Snyder will probably pull Rudy when Jordan comes out. Otherwise they will try to take him out of the paint

Quote:
Popular opinion is that Joe Johnson is getting huge minutes. Look at him getting at least 28 minutes per game with the rest.

Hasn't shown he can be effective in big minutes anymore

Quote:
If Favors is actually healthy this will be a three-man rotation, but I still think Jazz coach Quin Snyder stays light on him.

What do you mean actually healthy? He's played 20 some odd minutes all year when he's played. I'd expect the same

Quote:
The scenario above leaves about 10 minutes. Boris Diaw, Joel Bolomboy and Jeff Withey have played real minutes recently, but I’m assuming these last 10 will be split between Joe Ingles and Gordon Hayward.

Bolomboy won't even be dressed sadly. I think he could have helped him. Big opportunity missed and considering how much they love to play young guys that aren't ready sucks! Hayward hasn't played the 4 all year. I'd hope they would go with him and Ingles but Diaw starts and gets a few minutes at the beginning of each half anyway

Quote:
I think we see some mad scientist stuff from Snyder in the playoffs. Lineups like George Hill, Rodney Hood, Ingles, Hayward and Johnson while DeAndre sits could be awesome.

doubt it

Quote:
Ignore these names this series: Brandon Bass, Brice Johnson and Diamond Stone for L.A. with Trey Lyles, Joel Bolomboy and Jeff Withey for the Jazz. None of them should see the court, I mean literally they should be blindfolded and can only react on sound.

Withey and Bass could very well play.

Quote:
Can DeAndre Jordan match Rudy’s intensity?

an Rudy match Deandre's should be the question
Old 04-15-2017, 05:40 PM   #35
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend

http://saltcityhoops.com/jazz-vs-cli...s-take-flight/

Quote:
The Jazz have quietly turned into an exceptional three-point shooting team. Hayward, Johnson, and Ingles are all at 40% or better, and Hood isn’t far behind at 37%.

that's actually quite a ways behind. It's 100 and something in the league so nothing special anymore

Quote:
The Jazz have the clear advantage in this matchup, and should win. Reddick is a very good shooter, and Mbah a Moute is a fine defender, but they can’t match the Jazz wing depth. Ingles, Hood, Hayward, and Johnson will have to play well and win this positional matchup, as the real star power of the Clippers lies with their point guard and big men.
Johnson isn't playing on the wing anymore. I'd say the Clipps have the advantage unless Hood can play like he did pre-flu
Old 04-15-2017, 05:46 PM   #36
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend

http://saltcityhoops.com/jazz-vs-cli...ing-the-point/

Quote:
if that March 13 win shows anything, it’s that the Jazz can devise a game plan that allows them to decide what they’ll give up and what they won’t.

they actually came to play that night. Wasn't so much the game plan
Old 04-15-2017, 06:14 PM   #37
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend

http://www.slcdunk.com/2017/4/15/141...three-wise-men

Quote:
The move to go from a “developing” team to a “win-now” team is significant. You can’t do both effectively enough at the same time

which is a big reason why they only won 51 games
Old 04-15-2017, 06:22 PM   #38
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend

http://www.slcdunk.com/2017/4/15/141...gordon-hayward

Quote:
10. The Gordon Hayward backdoor lob

It's been scouted now and hasn't been very effective recently

Quote:
28. Rudy Gobert freaks everyone out
I mentioned this in the most recent Pictures Video, but it’s amusing how Gobert scares great players out of even trying to score. Watch John Wall quickly backpedal after he gets an advantage on his man in the pick and roll.

The biggest impact of Rudy!
Old 04-15-2017, 06:30 PM   #39
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend

http://www.slcdunk.com/2017/4/15/141...jordan-lineups

Quote:
Line-up 1: What should have been

According to the media notes submitted by the Jazz to NBA.com these are not the guys starting Game 1.

Quote:
These are the guys that we all though should be starting this season together, though.

not all. Hood is a 6th man

Quote:
It is one that goes Neto - Exum - Johnson - Joel Bolomboy - Favors

Doubt Bolomboy is dressed though I'd dress him befoe Lyles. Hohnson won't be at the 3 either. Takes away his advantages
Old 04-15-2017, 06:34 PM   #40
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend

http://www.slcdunk.com/2017/4/15/141...rd-rudy-gobert

not sure that makes things look any better. been dominated this year
Old 04-15-2017, 06:43 PM   #41
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend

http://www.slcdunk.com/2017/4/15/142...rd-rudy-gobert

Quote:
But Hayward is the face of this franchise. He’s been marketed as such for the last four years, mind you.

and yet Rudy has been the man for over 3 years now

Quote:
He is the type of guy to be strategic and get what he wants though - like signing the offer sheet with the Charlotte Hornets for the Jazz to match a few seasons ago.

another mistake. Should have paid him with no opt out. But I guess they would still be tanking this year if that was the case

Quote:
If the Jazz flop in the playoffs does that give Hayward pause? If the Jazz do well, is that a lock to retain him? Both premises may not be entirely valid. But what do you think?

I think he's gone regardless and I wouldn't blame him one bit. Worst thing would be for them to pay him 30-35% of the cap
Old 04-15-2017, 06:54 PM   #42
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend

http://www.slcdunk.com/2017/4/14/148...ul-rudy-gobert

Quote:
After all at the combine he was measured at 7’2 (no clue why the Jazz list him at 7’1 though...)!

he certainly looks taller than Tag in the photos

Quote:
There is a mix up here as the Jazz media notes for Game 1 indicate that Rodney Hood and Derrick Favors are on the bench, and Joe Ingles and Boris Diaw are starting. They are veterans who have played in a lot of big games, so I guess we can’t fight that.

Why would you want to fight it?

Quote:
Their bench is trash though outside of Crawford and Rivers. Speights wouldn’t play over Jeff Withey if he was on the Jazz. Brandon Bass and Wesley Johnson are rarely used. Heck, Paul Pierce is mothballed.

Speights and Bass hit 3's so yeah they would be playing especially Speights. He's good offensively anyway. Jazz don't even like Withey

Quote:
Joe Ingles is the best three point shooter on the team, an under-rated defender, and generally a dangerous player to have on the court. He does it all. He does more than Rodney does if both are missing as well. This is a no-brainer at this time of the season.

Does more than Hood regardless and was a no brainer from the get go

Quote:
We’re going to see Derrick Favors at back-up Center spelling Rudy Gobert at times. Hopefully we see them together on the court as well. Outside of reliable Jeff Withey, everyone here can play two or more positions.

Jeff won't play unless there is an injury or foul trouble

Quote:
Dante Exum is a perimeter defender

at his best. at his worst it's ugly

Quote:
Jazz advantage here for sure.

don't be so sure especially once Rivers returns
Old 04-15-2017, 07:00 PM   #43
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend

http://purpleandblues.com/2017/04/15...-is-available/

Quote:
Neto suffered a sprained ankle against Portland earlier this month. Although he had been playing well, even if he was healthy, he may not have been in the rotation regardless. Quin Snyder has decided to roll with Shelvin Mack for the most part as backup point guard.

Mack only got a shot because Neto got hurt. Neto should've and I think would've been the guy as much as it hurts the Dante lovers and front office and coach. Will be interesting to see who else doesn't dress if Neto returns. I'd think Lyles but who knows

Quote:
George Hill, Rodney Hood and Derrick Favors, all guys who recently returned from injury, will likely see a bump in minutes now that we’re in the postseason, which is a change from what we’ve seen lately. All three players had their minutes monitored in the final games of the regular season.

All three of them also happened to look good and healthy, Favors in particular.

actually Hill in particular
Old 04-15-2017, 07:10 PM   #44
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend

http://purpleandblues.com/2017/04/14...e-la-clippers/

Quote:
Considering the Clippers trio of proven All-Stars and their stark advantage in postseason experience, it’s pretty clear that they are the favorites in this series, albeit by a small margin.

heavy favorites

Quote:
the Utah Jazz have proven all season long that they have the firepower and potential to compete with the best of the best.

actually they haven't
Quote:
Utah played phenomenally in the lone win

yet barely won

Quote:
In fact, the first two games of the regular season series between the Jazz and Clippers were played at a relatively slow pace with the scores ending up as very low-scoring. If you had told me that the Jazz and Clippers were in a low-scoring, grind-it-out battle without telling me the score, I likely would have assumed that it was Utah that came away with the win.

not a good sign
Old 04-16-2017, 02:02 PM   #45
WayOfWad3
ISH >>>

Fun game one, finished watching it in a JCW's. That blows about Gobert though, I'm going to assume that he's out for the rest of the series and maybe more. No too surprised that Hayward shot 7/18, I think we should expect more of that for the series. Favors looked good, but clearly isn't in his last-season form and probably won't be until next year. Clippers are definitely favored without Gobert
WayOfWad3 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: