Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Houston Rockets Forum

Houston Rockets Forum Houston Rockets message board - rockets fan forum

Old 07-11-2006, 02:17 AM   #1
JSub
Decent college freshman

JSub has decent reputationJSub has decent reputation
Default ROCKETS: Signing Mike James priority or getting a PF?

It is evident that the primary free agent concern for the Rockets this offseason is to sign Mike James. However, he's seemingly being a little biatch by delaying his decision, making the three teams pursuing him bite their nails. My question is...how necessary is Mike to the success of the Rockets? Is he the viable 3rd scoring option on a team that has a dirth in offense, or will TMac and Yao be enough to carry the Rockets? Should the Rockets be pushing for a solid low-post bruiser to help Yao out on the block, instead of signing this potential chucker?

Ideally, Houston will land both Mike James via sign and trade and then perhaps use the MLE to get their PF...but when push comes to shove, whats is more important? MJ or the PF?
JSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 02:19 AM   #2
NBAfan32
High school junior varsity star

NBAfan32 has an OK reputation so far

PF. They already have Head, Wesley and Alston. They're pretty thin up front with just Deke,Yao and Howard. Howard's not gonna cut it if they wanna go deep into the playoffs, so they better sign a PF.
NBAfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 02:22 AM   #3
vagabond
Kids at the park dunk on me

vagabond has an OK reputation so far

PF they're looking pretty weak there with Howard in the starting PF slot.
vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 02:22 AM   #4
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year

fatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected poster

I say a PF.

Management has made it clear, however, that our backcourt is their top priority.

I'm on the fence about the potential of Mike returning. I'll be fine either way. I won't lose sleep if he doesn't return and I'll be happy if he does. He would provide defense, scoring, and desire but he would also bring a degree of selfish play (a "can't have" when playing on a team with Yao and McGrady) and might hold our offense back (like he did in the playoffs a year ago).
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 02:23 AM   #5
fatboy11

fatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected poster

For those that don't know, apparently, JVG and the crew want to go small and play Shane at the 4.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:30 AM   #6
HALLandOATES
Local High School Star

HALLandOATES has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy11
For those that don't know, apparently, JVG and the crew want to go small and play Shane at the 4.

What do they plan on doing if the play the Spurs in the Playoffs, throwing Howard out there and "try" to defend him without an offense coming from that spot at all. Another year, another loss in the step for Howard. Rockets are being dumb, da, dumb dumb dumb. They need a starting PF like the olsen twins need food.
HALLandOATES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 02:31 AM   #7
fatboy11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HALLandOATES
What do they plan on doing if the play the Spurs in the Playoffs, throwing Howard out there and "try" to defend him without an offense coming from that spot at all. Another year, another loss in the step for Howard. Rockets are being dumb, da, dumb dumb dumb. They need a starting PF like the olsen twins need food.
Hell, I don't know.

That's just what they're doing.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:36 AM   #8
HALLandOATES
Local High School Star

HALLandOATES has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy11
Hell, I don't know.

That's just what they're doing.

I know, I just feel like venting because I loved the Rockets like my own favorite team when Tracy was showin up Dirk and such in the playoffs
HALLandOATES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 02:37 AM   #9
vagabond
Kids at the park dunk on me

vagabond has an OK reputation so far

The question should be where could they get one? There isn't alot they can afford on the FA market, and they don't exactly have a long list of assets to get one of any value via a trade.

Battier is good (As a SF) but would get battered by any decent bigs.

As much as they maybe looking to go small it's not as if Yao exactly suits the run and gun game...
vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 02:53 AM   #10
eboloid
Flash Gordo

eboloid has an OK reputation so far

Reggie Evans shouldn't be too expensive (depends on what Denver wants to do), and he could at least provide strong rebounding, so what if he's a complete void offensively. There's enough scoring.. ah hell, there isn't unless one of Head/Battier can be efficient third options which really isn't all that likely.

I'm not sure I like the idea of playing small when your starting C is 7'6 and really, really can't run.
eboloid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 04:14 AM   #11
SCREWstonRockets
Houston Texan

SCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected poster

Question is, what PFs are out there that can help us more than Mike James could? The Rockets were one of the worst offensive teams last year, outside of yao and tmac, nobody else can effectively create their own shot. Mike James can create his own shot, and set up other players to score via penetration.
SCREWstonRockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 04:20 AM   #12
loot
H.U.M.A.N. World

loot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation here

lucas is enough insurance no need to get james to play with alston, sura and head
loot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 06:06 AM   #13
SupermanOnSteroids
Local High School Star

SupermanOnSteroids has a bad reputationSupermanOnSteroids has a bad reputationSupermanOnSteroids has a bad reputation

Houston has Head whose willing to play within they system and would improve. I don't see why they're so desperate for James. They should be spending their time trying to get a PF like Troy Murphy.
SupermanOnSteroids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 11:27 AM   #14
saKf
Roy = my new fave.

saKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabond
The question should be where could they get one? There isn't alot they can afford on the FA market, and they don't exactly have a long list of assets to get one of any value via a trade.

Battier is good (As a SF) but would get battered by any decent bigs.

As much as they maybe looking to go small it's not as if Yao exactly suits the run and gun game...
This is not true at all. Battier spent plenty of time guarding 4's down in Memphis and he does it just fine a lot of the time. I'm not saying he's a long-term solution, but he can definitely fill the role.

Houston needs Reggie Evans, though.
saKf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 11:52 AM   #15
GothamKnight
High school junior varsity star

GothamKnight has an OK reputation so far

Houston should try and add Mike James and Reggie Evans and then maybe trade Rafer for Drew Gooden. They'd end up like this:

Alston/Head
Tmac/Wesley
Battier/Bowen
Evans/Gooden/Juwan
Yao/Mutombo/Juwan

dunno who else is on that team, but that lineup is pretty good
GothamKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: