Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-29-2007, 10:43 PM   #1
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool
Default How to shed to 5% BF?

I am currently approximately at 11% BF.

i have an okay six pack.

but if I wanted to be ambitious and cut down to 5%... what special considerations do I need to take?

i mean, getting it that low can't be natural... can it?
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 11:01 PM   #2
DatZNasty
NBA rookie of the year

DatZNasty is considered somewhat coolDatZNasty is considered somewhat coolDatZNasty is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: How to shed to 5% BF?

For reference's sake, LeBron is 8% so at 5% you'd definitely be pushing it. If you still want to go for it, you could buy some of that topical fat loss gel that you rub on as well as a thermogenic like SANS Tight, which is known to have pushing the water out of the muscles as part of it's effectiveness.

Google it, but if you can't find it I'll type what I remember of it up for you but look for Tim Michaels's Body Balancing Fueling Plan. He was formerly a competitive body sculptor (?, or whatever you call the people who get all up on stage and flex) and he goes over his plan which is good for losing the last couple lbs of fat as well as pushing the water out so you look harder.

At worse, sign up for the 2 wk trial of totalvid.com, and download all of his DVDs free.
DatZNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 11:03 PM   #3
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool

since im not a bodybuilder or a model or anything, I really don't think I'd be that ambitious.

Im just curious because I see all these gigantic guys and how they have 3% BF etc...
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 11:15 PM   #4
D-Wade
Great college starter

D-Wade has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
since im not a bodybuilder or a model or anything, I really don't think I'd be that ambitious.

Im just curious because I see all these gigantic guys and how they have 3% BF etc...

Bodybuilders are 3%. You can do it natrually, easy. It's all about the diet and cardio. What thay like now?
D-Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 11:15 PM   #5
Randy
NBA sixth man of the year

Randy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

3.5% is about the lowset the human body can achieve, 4.5% is pushing malnutrition.

One pound of muscle burns approx. 50 calories a day to maintain itself, add 7 pounds of muslce and thats 350 calories burned a day which comes out to a pound of fat every ten days. It's not an exact science but muscle really does burn fat.

That said, abs are made in the kitchen, it your diet is not in check you can workout all you want and not see results. Small, balanced meal eaten 6 times a day will keep your metabolism burning and your energy high.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 11:20 PM   #6
DatZNasty
NBA rookie of the year

DatZNasty is considered somewhat coolDatZNasty is considered somewhat coolDatZNasty is considered somewhat cool

I'd kill just to be in single digits. I don't think I have ever been. I'm about 14% now at 6'0 215 so I got some nice muscle mass underneath this layer of fat.

Anyways, you should go for about 8 or 9% if you can. You'd look shredded and still not be unhealthily lean and can get there hopefully without water deprivation and other unhealthy methods.

Anyways, one staple of the Tim Michaels' plan was uncooked oatmeal. Seems hard to eat at first, but hit it with some frozen blueberries or strawberries and you're good. He also totally eliminated salt from his diet for the 21 days prior to a contest so it's mostly stuff like oatmeal, blueberries, green peppers, carrots, spinach, pineapples, baked potato, eggs, nuts, and legumes. I forget what he recommended as a protein source, but I messed with frozen chicken breasts.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:23 PM   #7
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

geeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation here

have you ever tried not eating for days at a time?
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 12:20 AM   #8
Chalkmaze
Good college starter

Chalkmaze has decent reputationChalkmaze has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
3.5% is about the lowset the human body can achieve, 4.5% is pushing malnutrition.

One pound of muscle burns approx. 50 calories a day to maintain itself, add 7 pounds of muslce and thats 350 calories burned a day which comes out to a pound of fat every ten days. It's not an exact science but muscle really does burn fat.

That said, abs are made in the kitchen, it your diet is not in check you can workout all you want and not see results. Small, balanced meal eaten 6 times a day will keep your metabolism burning and your energy high.

Karl Malone had about 4% body fat, it's reported that he once measured at 2.6/2.7%...

It should be noted that body fat measurement is not 100% accurate, no matter how good the testing is.

John Stockton's was around the same as Karl's http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baske...workouts_x.htm

You'll find some tips in reducing your body fat in the above article.

Last edited by Chalkmaze : 05-30-2007 at 12:23 AM.
Chalkmaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 12:39 AM   #9
Randy

Randy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalkmaze
Karl Malone had about 4% body fat, it's reported that he once measured at 2.6/2.7%...

It should be noted that body fat measurement is not 100% accurate, no matter how good the testing is.

John Stockton's was around the same as Karl's http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baske...workouts_x.htm

You'll find some tips in reducing your body fat in the above article.

I would believe 4%, that's what Shannon Sharpe had when he was a Bronco here and it was obvious when they showed him running without a shirt on. He was chiseled out of granite. 2.6 however is complete bull.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:45 AM   #10
Chalkmaze
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
I would believe 4%, that's what Shannon Sharpe had when he was a Bronco here and it was obvious when they showed him running without a shirt on. He was chiseled out of granite. 2.6 however is complete bull.

They have repeatedly been measured for their body fat yearly. John and Karl always competed against one another and the one with the best body fat percentage got bragging rights.

I'm not sure if you realize just how hard John and Karl trained, they were incredible... They competed against one another at all times... I'd wager they trained at least as hard as Shannon Sharpe. Being chisled, might have something to do with his genetics and the type of heavy weight training that football players do. You can look at a lot of marathon runners who have some of the lowest body fat of anyone, and they don't look chisled. They list Robinson's body fat at 6.1% and look how skinny and chiseled he looked.

Last edited by Chalkmaze : 05-30-2007 at 12:48 AM.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:57 AM   #11
Randy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalkmaze
They have repeatedly been measured for their body fat yearly. John and Karl always competed against one another and the one with the best body fat percentage got bragging rights.

I'm not sure if you realize just how hard John and Karl trained, they were incredible... They competed against one another at all times... I'd wager they trained at least as hard as Shannon Sharpe. Being chisled, might have something to do with his genetics and the type of heavy weight training that football players do. You can look at a lot of marathon runners who have some of the lowest body fat of anyone, and they don't look chisled. They list Robinson's body fat at 6.1% and look how skinny and chiseled he looked.

I'm not denying Malone worked like a maniac but I'm saying that there is no way he was 2.6, that is malnutrition and hazardous to your body. Achieving less than 10% is hard unles you are naturally skinny, getting to less than 6% is practically impossible. Shannon Sharpe, Karl Malone and Stockton all also had the benefit of professional trainers, nutritionists and many other resources at their disposal to help them.

I did read that Ryan Reynolds got down to 3.3% for Blade: Trinity, and that immediately after filming he allowed himself to get back around 7% because a nutritionist was worried for his health.

Old 05-30-2007, 01:16 AM   #12
IBLEEDGREEN43
Local High School Star

IBLEEDGREEN43 has no real reputation yet.

I am currently on a walk the track/ golf/ eat right diet.. and i have been on it for like 4 days, and i feel better already
IBLEEDGREEN43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 01:18 AM   #13
DatZNasty
NBA rookie of the year

how many calories does the "sport" of golf itself burn?
Old 05-30-2007, 01:20 AM   #14
Chalkmaze
Good college starter

Well, the thing is, there's a margin of error of 2-3% for Hydrostatic Weighing, but the accuracy depends on the amount of air you expel. You have to blow it ALL out or it won't be as accurate.

There are also a number of different ways to measure body fat. Nothing is exact in this field, including the exact percentages that are healthy etc.

But John and Karl got weighed every year, and for most of their careers they would lose just a little bit more than what they were measured at the year before... I know that their body fat measurement was always a very big deal for them, they would start working out like crazy right after the season ended, and work hard all summer, and then come into camp in the spring and see who outworked the other.. They always talked about how the other one would keep them motivated, they'd maybe have a day where they wanted to take it easy, but then they'd start thinking that the other one was probably working out real hard at that same time, so that would motivate them to turn an "easy" day, into a "super-tough workout" day.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/ins...11/08/insider/

"He runs the floor like a Rasheed Wallace, like he's 28 years old," marvels Lakers forward Horace Grant.

"He's still the strongest man in the league, bar none," adds Hornets forward P.J. Brown.

Indeed, if the 6-foot-9, 256-pound Malone wanted to win a Mr. Universe competition he probably could. Every year he shows up at training camp like a contestant for the Hawaii Ironman or an astronaut on a Mars mission. This year he reportedly carried a whopping 3.7 percent body fat. Jazz coach Jerry Sloan simply shrugged and said, "That's Karl."

Anyway Randy... Again... I have to say that body fat measurement has different ways to measure, and is never exact, soooo... I don't know... but again, John and Karl repeatedly got similar results year after year. As far as that Ryan Reynolds goes, losing weight fast, is probably more dangerous than having low body fat all the time or something. I don't know??

Then there's Ray Allen who says this

http://www.nba.com/sonics/news/allen061016.html

"Right now, I weigh probably the most I've weighed," he says. "I came in here and I weighed 207. My body fat percentage when I started training camp was 7.8 and now I'm down to 6.5. That's probably the most percent of body fat I've had. When I was in Milwaukee, I was down at 3.8 and that's probably the lowest I've ever been. I think during the season I'll probably get down to 5 and keep it at 5."

"Since joining the Sonics, Chiesa - who worked with John Stockton and Karl Malone, most notably, during his time with the Jazz - has had his own epiphany about Allen's work ethic.

"I could tell, but to the level? No," Chiesa says. "Being around him, he makes it an art form - his dedication and his attention to detail. Think about it - a lot of guys have a hard time shooting during the preseason because they're not in rhythm yet. Ray's ready to go right now. I'm impressed by him. He's a pro's pro.

"His dedication is really sensational. I would say he's in the top 10 percent in the NBA as far as being dedicated."
Old 05-30-2007, 01:34 AM   #15
Nashformvp
High School Varsity 6th Man

Nashformvp has an OK reputation so far

ok get a long utensil, shove it down your throat and touch your uvula. The remove your hand and you will begin to throw up. repeat for three to five days and you should see a significant decrease in your weight and body fat.

No, but seriously if your at thirteen stay there. thre i really low. Its not healthy.
Nashformvp is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: