Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-30-2007, 06:33 AM   #31
AirGauge23
Sound the Charge

Default Re: How to shed to 5% BF?

Nah, I want to bulk and put on some more muscle, have a good base going. The cut down and lose fat. I know it's pretty hard to try and do both at the same time, so I'm not gonna mess with that. I've heard that muscle burns fat, though, so I'll put on as much as I can, then lose the fat. Or maybe I'll just change my mind and cut now, dunno yet.
AirGauge23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 06:40 AM   #32
reppy
Apparently likes anime

You can put on muscle while losing fat. Go on a healthy protein diet. But don't go on those "low carb" BS diets. You'll hate life and have no energy. Just make sure you eat GOOD carbs (whole grains) and avoid starchy foods.

Also, if you want fast results, count your calories. Sucks ass, but you'll lose so much more weight and you can identify problems that could be causing you to hold onto that fat.

Low glycemic diets are good. Eat lean proteins like chicken and fish. You can still have your beef, but eat it sparingly. I always try to get the lowest fat% ground beef I can get. Foreman Grills are your friend, too. :p

And if you haven't already.. rediscover fruits and vegetables. :)

Something my doctor recommended to my mom to lose weight: drink a glass of Metamucil before each of your 3 main meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner). The fiber is filling and will help keep you regular.

Last edited by reppy : 05-30-2007 at 06:44 AM.
reppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 07:04 AM   #33
tpcslj47
Kids at the park dunk on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy
You can put on muscle while losing fat.

Not everyone can, I'd say in fact most people can't. You'd be better off focusing 2-3 months on gaining as much muscle as possible then worry about losing the fat that came with it. And even if you could lose fat while gaining muscle, I think you'll see more gains in the long run by focusing on 1 at a time.
tpcslj47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 07:27 AM   #34
Rameek
Krust Kingz

Exclamation Re: How to shed to 5% BF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGauge23
I've heard that muscle burns fat, though, so I'll put on as much as I can, then lose the fat.

NO Muscle Does Not Burn Fat! Using energy burns fat because fat is just for storing energy in the body for later use (simply put but it does perform more useful functions!).
Also, there has been some good advice and bad advice given here. I would consult your doctor as well before making drastic changes. I also would do things gradually not to shock your system (body). What works for one individual doesnt necessarily work for another. Another thing to consider is heredity, genetics and metabolism.
Scientifically body fat isnt bad and to reduce to below 3% isnt practical and useless unless your a body builder and model. Between 5% and 9% isnt too bad.

Golf is a great way to lose weight. If you play 18 holes and you carry your golf bag while walking its a hell of a work out!
Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 07:37 AM   #35
hateraid
Is it in you?

VC, C'mon bro! Ya know ya got your resident nutritionist on ya side! I'll definately help you out. PM me.
First advice, take up smoking, lol.
hateraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 07:41 AM   #36
hateraid
Is it in you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameek
NO Muscle Does Not Burn Fat! Using energy burns fat because fat is just for storing energy in the body for later use (simply put but it does perform more useful functions!).
Also, there has been some good advice and bad advice given here. I would consult your doctor as well before making drastic changes. I also would do things gradually not to shock your system (body). What works for one individual doesnt necessarily work for another. Another thing to consider is heredity, genetics and metabolism.
Scientifically body fat isnt bad and to reduce to below 3% isnt practical and useless unless your a body builder and model. Between 5% and 9% isnt too bad.

Golf is a great way to lose weight. If you play 18 holes and you carry your golf bag while walking its a hell of a work out!

Your right, muscle does not burn fat. Converting protien into muscle does. Protien causes your body to use fuel to break it down into free form amino acids. But we don't need to get into science here. Results come from recovery. remember that.
hateraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 04:47 PM   #37
reppy
Apparently likes anime

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpcslj47
Not everyone can, I'd say in fact most people can't. You'd be better off focusing 2-3 months on gaining as much muscle as possible then worry about losing the fat that came with it. And even if you could lose fat while gaining muscle, I think you'll see more gains in the long run by focusing on 1 at a time.

Sure you can. Get plenty of lean protein while cutting your calories. Don't try and bulk, but you can certainly gain muscle while losing weight.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:53 PM   #38
SupermanOnSteroids
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Wade
Bodybuilders are 3%. You can do it natrually, easy. It's all about the diet and cardio. What thay like now?
love the ignorant preaching to the masses.
SupermanOnSteroids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 05:10 PM   #39
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy
Sure you can. Get plenty of lean protein while cutting your calories. Don't try and bulk, but you can certainly gain muscle while losing weight.

isnt the rationale behind fat loss, taking in fewer calories than get burned and the rationale for muscle gain is taking in more calories than you burn?
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 05:29 PM   #40
tpcslj47
Kids at the park dunk on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
isnt the rationale behind fat loss, taking in fewer calories than get burned and the rationale for muscle gain is taking in more calories than you burn?

Yes, that is what makes it so difficult. You basically have to trick your body as to how many calories you are actually intaking. It may be easy for him to do, some people can do it and they don't understand that it isn't easy or possible for others because they only know what they have experienced. Try it if you want, but don't be surprised when it doesn't work.
tpcslj47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 05:49 PM   #41
reppy
Apparently likes anime

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork

I'm not really an expert on it. However, I think the first half of your question is true. But the second part.. putting on muscle depends mostly on your protein intake.

I put on muscle while losing weight. I cut my calories to about 1600 per day and was getting in about 180g of protein. Granted that's not an amount you'd want to stay at, that's just to get you down to the weight you want. After that you need to start adding more calories.

You're not going to get HUGE when cutting, but I don't see any reason why you can't put on muscle at the same time.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:23 PM   #42
SupermanOnSteroids
Local High School Star

i have a degree in biology, but i'm not a nutritionist or a personal trainer, but as far as i understand you can tamper with the % of cals intake by protein and carbs to achieve desired results. just remember that 1g of fat = 9 cals. 1g of carb = 4 cals. 1g of protein = 4 cals. each person is different so you have to tailor your diet according to your own specifications and learn through trial and error to optimize it. if you were not working out before and now want to get in shape and start working out hard doing cardio in the morning and lifting in the evening, you don't want to cut down your total caloric intake drastically, in fact might have increase your total caloric intake per day, but you'll have monitor how much of those calories are from carbs, fats, and proteins. quickest ways to gain is by cycling through bulking and cutting before beach time, but for the normal people that just want to maintain a good looking body year round and just gain some muscle and lose fat, you should just take the appropriate amount of cals according to your body weight but with increased protein and lower carbs. to lose 1 lb of fat you need to go into a 3500 calorie deficit. try to lose about 1-2 lbs of fat a week. after the carbs in the blood stream are used up, body burns fat before muscle but burning fat is slow so body uses up some muscle too. eating slow absorbing protein like casein keeps appropriate protein levels in your blood stream and helps minimize muscle loss.

hopefully i got most of it right. typed it up fast so didn't have time to organize it nicely. if i got anything wrong, i'm sure hateraid can correct me. he seems to know his stuff.

personally i don't think that any normal everyday person ever needs to drop down as low as 5% bf. when i was with the army rangers my doctor told me to fatten up from 7% to around 10% before my surgery. you can get a pretty decent looking six pack at 9-10%. if you're one of them pasty white brothers, just tan and it'll help with the definition. and when i was still with the army, i didn't even know of any of this stuff, didn't take protein or creatine, i just ate 3-4 times a day and stayed away from pasta or fried foods and ate plenty of fish and bbq, but worked out enough and i had a pretty decent body. you don't have to get too involved in the technicalities. its nice to know them, they make things a bit easier and help you lose those last few pounds, but if youre a starter, just get to working out REGULARLY AND CONSISTENTLY. then worry about all the fine tuning.
SupermanOnSteroids is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: