Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 06-06-2017, 01:56 AM   #16
RoseCity07
NBA Legend

Default Re: The Bitcoin and other cryptocurrency Information Thread

I bought $100 worth on Coinbase. Total was really $103 after fees. The value is at 119 a week later. Pretty decent increase.

I'm wondering if I should sell some coins to try to recover my original investment or just leave it.
RoseCity07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 10:18 AM   #17
Orlando Magic
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladefd
I want to set up a paper wallet. Do I have to create different ones for different coins? Or should I just wait for Ledger Nano S to release next month? Supposed to be 65$$ and I would be able to store multiple different coins

I am thinking of buying 50 coins of ripple, 50 coins of digibyte, what other coins are worthy? I was considering bytecoin and golem..

I don't know about the wallets for other coins but yeah, you need multiple wallets for multiple coins.

I mean you could put them all on one piece of paper but there isn't any universal digital wallet address for multiple coins... they are different coins... thus different wallets.

I'm the wrong person to ask about other coins because I personally believe Bitcoin is the only worthy coin. The rest can make you super rich or super broke. Bitcoin is NOT a sure thing but it seems like it, at this point. August could be a huge test.
Orlando Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 10:21 AM   #18
Orlando Magic
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseCity07
I bought $100 worth on Coinbase. Total was really $103 after fees. The value is at 119 a week later. Pretty decent increase.

I'm wondering if I should sell some coins to try to recover my original investment or just leave it.

I offer no investment advice, it was a mistake in the other thread to do so. It all comes with a risk. Bitcoin/crypto prices can fluctuate HEAVILY IN A MOMENT'S NOTICE. I have seen Bitcoin lose half it's value in minutes... I've seen multi hundred dollar drops... in minutes.

I think you should educate yourself on Bitcoin, try to wrap your mind around what this really is and the power that it has to subvert governments and big banks and essentially bring banks to an end... and you won't be asking that question.

My personal opinion would always be to hold onto it, but if you're in it for the gamble... nobody can predict the future... so that's the risk you take.
Orlando Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 10:55 AM   #19
InfiniteBaskets
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando Magic
I don't know about the wallets for other coins but yeah, you need multiple wallets for multiple coins.

I mean you could put them all on one piece of paper but there isn't any universal digital wallet address for multiple coins... they are different coins... thus different wallets.

All the alt-coins which ICO’d on top of the Ethereum platform can typically be stored in one of the more popular Ether wallets (My Ether Wallet, Jaxx, Parity). For example, Golem, Augur, and the Basic Attention Token are 3 relatively popular coins along with ETH that can be stored in those wallets due to them being ERC20 compliant and issued on the Ethereum network. When it comes to other alt coins like Ripple, NEM, even more niche ones like Mooncoin, you can always just keep them on a large exchange (bit of risk there but the US based ones should be safe).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando Magic
I'm the wrong person to ask about other coins because I personally believe Bitcoin is the only worthy coin. The rest can make you super rich or super broke. Bitcoin is NOT a sure thing but it seems like it, at this point. August could be a huge test.

Although I share your sentiments about Crypto in general being very volatile and I believe no one should be putting more than 50% of their investments in the market, I have a different sentiment regarding Bitcoin / ETH.

I actually think ETH has a good chance of surpassing Bitcoin’s total market cap within the next year or so (If not sooner due to the upcoming forking issues). Bitcoin’s main draw was always decentralization and a god-like worship of Satoshi who’s anonymity only helped Bitcoin’s case as “digital money for the people”. A special kind of money where the government couldn’t take it away. The central banks couldn’t simply print or issue more of it to devalue your current holdings. And banks like those most recently in Cyprus couldn’t just freeze your funds and invalidate your withdrawals. Sounds great, but now we’re approaching a point where miners are actually quite centralized and regardless of how the events in August unfold, Bitcoin will always have miner centralization as an issue going forward.

ETH has centralization of founders / developers. But because it’s not trying to be a currency the current environment has fostered mostly good natured development in Dapp projects. On top of that, we’ve already seen huge conglomerates like Toyota, Deloitte, ING, Intel, Microsoft, JPM, and others have created a blockchain alliance based on ETH. I’d not be shocked if we see an Ethereum based ETF first (already under SEC consideration) before Bitcoin’s at this point just due to how inaccessible the Chinese miners of bitcoin are. Meanwhile Vitalik doing a global campaign for ETH helping onboard guys like Vladimir Putin.
InfiniteBaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 08:39 PM   #20
ItsMillerTime
O LA DI PO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1JtJLRuqgo

Decent video explaining the general concept of bitcoin and cryptos if people are still unsure about the legitimacy. Saying that, you should still do your due diligence as certain currencies are not as reputable as others.

In the long run, I believe Ethereum will be king. Vitalik Buterin is legit.

Last edited by ItsMillerTime : 06-07-2017 at 08:44 PM.
ItsMillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 06:17 PM   #21
bladefd
NBA rookie of the year

Ethereum is up to $320. I bought it at $90

Last edited by bladefd : 06-10-2017 at 06:30 PM.
bladefd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 08:03 PM   #22
InfiniteBaskets
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladefd
Ethereum is up to $320. I bought it at $90

You could literally buy in now and still have a very good chance of at least doubling your money. Any disposable income should be in crypto(ETH) at this point due to how much momentum this thing has. This could really be internet 1.5 with the introduction of hashes and smart contracts.
InfiniteBaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 09:36 PM   #23
warriorfan
It’s gonna be easy!

eth is going crazy right now
warriorfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 01:28 PM   #24
ItsMillerTime
O LA DI PO

All aboard the ETH train
Old 06-11-2017, 01:30 PM   #25
highwhey
EMPLOYED

how do you buy eth?
highwhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 01:43 PM   #26
warriorfan
It’s gonna be easy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwhey
how do you buy eth?

Coinbase app or website

it takes 5 mins to set up

buy a lot

Thank me later
warriorfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 01:52 PM   #27
highwhey
EMPLOYED

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorfan
Coinbase app or website

buy a lot

Thank me later
can you give me an example of the fees? thanks
highwhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 02:29 PM   #28
ItsMillerTime
O LA DI PO

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwhey
can you give me an example of the fees? thanks

https://support.coinbase.com/custome...-transfer-fees

Fees a lot higher for credit/debit card purchases. Less so for bank transfers
Old 09-12-2018, 05:23 PM   #29
East River Livn'
Super Handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteBaskets
I actually think ETH has a good chance of surpassing Bitcoin’s total market cap within the next year or so (If not sooner due to the upcoming forking issues).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMillerTime

In the long run, I believe Ethereum will be king. Vitalik Buterin is legit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorfan
Coinbase app or website

buy a lot

Thank me later

East River Livn' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:44 PM   #30
coin24
7-time NBA All-Star

How are your lambos and yachts simon ??