Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Detroit Pistons Forum

Detroit Pistons Forum Detroit Pistons message board - pistons fan forum

Old 05-31-2007, 01:29 PM   #16
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Conf Finals: Pistons-Cavs Game 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
That is BS the Pistons have been mailing in games since '03? Nothing has changed, they're just in the spotlight now. Down 3-1 to the Magic, down 3-2 to the Nets, down 2-1 to the Pacers, down 3-2 to the Cavs, down 2-1 to the Heat, down 2-0 to the Spurs and push it to 7...I'm sure I'm missing some.

They have been mailing in games for years. It's frustrating but don't act like it's some new revelation the past year or two that is a function of their success.

It takes a lot of effort, specifically defensive intensity, for them to win games and they simply don't have it every game.

I don't think the players truly respect Flip Saunders, and it shows. I saw a completely different team under Larry Brown. They win in spite of Saunders, not b/c of him.

Yes, the Pistons are a tough minded team with an ability to overcome adversity, but they aren't a good shooting group, they let teams hang around, and their defense isn't as good as it was 3-4 years ago.
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 02:13 PM   #17
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTicket
That sort of argument really annoys me, it isn't the Pistons playing poorly, it's the Cavs making them play poorly, not at all the same.

Anyway I think a major deciding factor could be how the refs call the game, if they allow a lot of contact like games 1 and 2 that's to the Pistons advantage.
Sure, part of it is the Cavs have been keeping chancy outta wack, but weber, prince, rip and sheed have all had miserable games (prince has stunk it up all series) missing shots they would generally hit, etc. its both the cavs playing them well and the pistons playing poorly.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 02:17 PM   #18
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

Cannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
Sure, part of it is the Cavs have been keeping chancy outta wack, but weber, prince, rip and sheed have all had miserable games (prince has stunk it up all series) missing shots they would generally hit, etc. its both the cavs playing them well and the pistons playing poorly.

Well I can tell you why prince has stunk it up... He's guarding lebron...

Brown has done some great things this series. Like double Billups and pressing him full court as much as possible. Also going to the "spread the floor lineup" with DJ Gibson Lebron Marshal and Andy.
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 02:43 PM   #19
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Cavs +5.5 underdogs. Gonna jump on that for $300. Who wit me?
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 02:44 PM   #20
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball
Well I can tell you why prince has stunk it up... He's guarding lebron...

Brown has done some great things this series. Like double Billups and pressing him full court as much as possible. Also going to the "spread the floor lineup" with DJ Gibson Lebron Marshal and Andy.
he always guards the best perimeter player. How'd he do last year while playing lebron? or this year against Deng? or Tmac, kob,e etc in the past.

His shot is off and not falling.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 02:58 PM   #21
ChrisConley
Local High School Star

ChrisConley has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTicket
That sort of argument really annoys me, it isn't the Pistons playing poorly, it's the Cavs making them play poorly, not at all the same.

Obviously Cleveland's fantastic D has a lot to do with how poorly the Pistons have been playing. I meant, how many games will it take Detroit to first of all get fired up, and second of all adjust to the Cleveland defense. Honestly, I think the series should be over right now. I can't believe the Cavs blew 1 and 2. Detroit has been lucky LeBron is putting in little to no effort in the 3rd quarter of all of these games. I don't believe for a second that the reason LeBron disappears in the 3rd has anything to do with how Detroit is defending him. He's choosing not to penetrate or even take many shots for that matter. I understand that that's Cleveland's game (rest LBJ for 4th quarter), but it cost them the first 2 games.
ChrisConley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 03:12 PM   #22
HaNdLe ThE RoCk
NBA All-star

HaNdLe ThE RoCk has decent reputationHaNdLe ThE RoCk has decent reputation

LeBron is going to have to take over and Gooden is going to have to continue to hit his open shots. Those were big down the stretch.

Gibson needs another good performance against Billups.
HaNdLe ThE RoCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 03:16 PM   #23
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Although that may be the case, Detroit knows that it cannot allow a repeat of last year (falling 3-2 because of a failure to protect home court).

I see Detroit coming out on top, with Billups playing a superstar game, and Daniel Gibson whimpering in submission. as good as he was in Game 4, no way he gets the same results in Auburn Hills. the Pistons will ajdust
What is the cost of the Pistons having to adjust to Gibson, though? He was driving the ball to the basket and shooting the ball with great success.

Meanwhile, the Pistons payed almost exclusive attention to LeBron. Gibson's inspired play may lead to more driving lanes for LeBron. If the Pistons DO adjust, there is no way that they will be able to play the same defense on LeBron that they have in the first 4 games.

This should be an interesting chess match.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 03:41 PM   #24
ezzy
see funk be funk

ezzy has an OK reputation so far

cavs defense >>> bulls defense. if you haven't seen that until now you're either a bulls fan or uninformed. the bulls were the most overrated team in the east this year, from my perspective. they are like the cavs 18 months ago, but without lebron.

secondly, detroit always plays as if their competitor doesn't exist. us cleveland folks are used to it but we know this time it's different. cavs are younger, stronger, faster, and hungrier than the pistons this year. pistons have all the experience (albeit 1 ring) and a bit more depth, but that's all.

people say cleve fans are delusional, yet we've watched millions of you all figure out what we have known for years about bron and the way he brings his team with him, unlike every other selfish "superstar" wingman in the current nba.

i see detroit as the better, stronger, more intimidating team LAST year. at this midpoint i see them about 2 rounds down with heavy arms. we'll see if the "champ" err..... 1 time champ from a couple years ago... has another split decision going their way. they sure the hell ain't knockin noone out anymore.
ezzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 03:43 PM   #25
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Cavs +5.5 underdogs. Gonna jump on that for $300. Who wit me?
I have a rule of not betting on my own team, but that line is juicy the way this series has gone.

The Pistons' largest lead in the ENTIRE SERIES has only been 5 points.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 03:47 PM   #26
ezzy
see funk be funk

ezzy has an OK reputation so far

since my rant is over, here's my pick:

cavs 94
pistons 91
in OT.

key to cavs victory: their best d, lebron 25+, 2 others with 15+
key to pistons win: it don't matter, they will play their parts as always

BUT cavs don't put them away at home in game 6, just like last year. i can see the true entrance of the king taking place in his new palace in game 7, where it will hold that much more legitimacy.

my friends in town think i'm crazy, they think the cavs have the pistons figured out and will apply boots to throats starting tonight. 4-2 and a worried san antone.

my friends out of town all owe me money at this point, talkin all that chit about lebron and his teammates
ezzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 04:12 PM   #27
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

Cannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
I have a rule of not betting on my own team, but that line is juicy the way this series has gone.

The Pistons' largest lead in the ENTIRE SERIES has only been 5 points.

good rule man... I'm not big with sports betting but that is deff something I need to stop doing...
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 04:13 PM   #28
bballnoob
Decent college freshman

bballnoob is considered somewhat coolbballnoob is considered somewhat cool

Cleveland has pretty much controlled this series even in the losses but I go with Detroit this game. Backed into a corner, nothing new...
bballnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 04:30 PM   #29
SCY
Put yr guns up

SCY has a terrific reputationSCY has a terrific reputationSCY has a terrific reputationSCY has a terrific reputationSCY has a terrific reputation

Worried about Detroit having a big bounceback game, but I'm also jumping on 5.5.
SCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 04:48 PM   #30
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound

I agree. The Cavs defense might be responsible for shutting down Chauncey, but Rip and Tay are just playing bad. If the Cavs D was responsible for shutting them down, how do you guys explain Rip carrying the team through the first half of game 1? And Tay had 14 in Game 3, despite the loss. I really thought he was coming out of his slump.

And Detroit is SOOO deep in the front court. I mean they haven't even hardly explored all their options. Has Nazr even played? Dale Davis hasn't played since Game 1, has he? Maxiel was the best Piston on the court in Game 2, and he's hardly played at all since then.

I'm not saying the Cavs can't win this, but make no mistake, Detroit is still in charge.

Tonight's game will be a true testiment to see if Gibson is the real deal, and if Mike Brown really has faith in him. He was huge in the 4th quarter of Game 3, and practically carried the team with Lebron out in Game 4. In fact, I believe Gibson is the sole reason why Lebron was freed up to have such a big 4th quarter in game 4.

The Cavs are still playing ugly basketball though. People seem to overlook that.

But if Lebron James really is, a Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson caliber player, we may see something special in this series. Remember when Jordan put us out the one year with that shot over Ehlo? Lebron has a chance to have a moment like that in this series.

In all honesty, Cleveland probably shouldn't be here. We walzed into the ECF against a lame Wizards team, and a Nets team that just didn't play well and didn't have much of a front court to begin with.

We need to capitalize now. I think it's up to Gibson and Sasha to keep us in this series. Lebron will do what Lebron does, and we know Z has been rock solid in the playoffs. But we still need that shooting lift to free up our inside guys.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: