Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 06-25-2017, 05:06 PM   #1
AI09
Sixers Dynasty

Default Mavs to decline Dirks contract

https://www.google.com/amp/www.cbssp...ign-him-to-new

Plan is to decline Dirks final year of contract 25mill and resign him to two years 25 mill total.
Man I'm telling you Cuban is paying Dirk under the table noway hes taking these kind of pay cuts contract after contract. This team should entertaining to watch next year.

Dennis Smith Jr
Weslry Matthews
Harrison Barnes
Dirk
Nerlens Noel
AI09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 05:15 PM   #2
dirkdiggler41
(no Dirk homer)

Default Re: Mavs to decline Dirks contract

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI09

Plan is to decline Dirks final year of contract 25mill and resign him to two years 25 mill total.
Man I'm telling you Cuban is paying Dirk under the table noway hes taking these kind of pay cuts contract after contract. This team should entertaining to watch next year.

Dennis Smith Jr
Weslry Matthews
Harrison Barnes
Dirk
Nerlens Noel

I think it showes how much Cuban cares about Dirk. They could just declined the 25 mill contract and asked him to retire. That would have happened in Housten. Dirk knows how much Cuban has done for him to win a ring, but not only that. If it was not for all he Cuban has done for Dirk. Even after all the failure, Cuban kept going with Dirk. When they said no shooting bigman could ever win you a championship, when he choked against Warriors and the struggle for then on.
dirkdiggler41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 05:37 PM   #3
brain drain
I rule the local playground

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkdiggler41
I think it showes how much Cuban cares about Dirk. They could just declined the 25 mill contract and asked him to retire. That would have happened in Housten. Dirk knows how much Cuban has done for him to win a ring, but not only that. If it was not for all he Cuban has done for Dirk. Even after all the failure, Cuban kept going with Dirk. When they said no shooting bigman could ever win you a championship, when he choked against Warriors and the struggle for then on.

You're making it sound like Cuban's charitable towards Dirk which is pure nonsense.

If anything, Cuban's been the one who failed Dirk, first by not being able to supply a better 2nd option than Jason freaking Terry for the whole 2005-2011 period and then by breaking up the championship team after 2011 to go and chase superstar free agents which never materialized.

Go check Dirk's playoff numbers and tell me which better player Cuben could've realistically gotten. The answer is none. Cuban should be glad he lucked into Dirk - but never managed to reciprocate by providing Dirk with an legit allstar level #2 option after failing to resign Steve Nash right before he went on to winning two MVPs.

And as far as "he could've told Dirk to retire" is concerned: that would've been all kinds of stupid. Dirk's still good for 14/4, he's still got quite a bit of value. Why on earth would anybody ask a player to retire when he's still contributing?

Last edited by brain drain : 06-25-2017 at 05:42 PM.
brain drain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 05:42 PM   #4
Smoke117
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brain drain
You're making it sound like Cuban's charitable towards Dirk which is pure nonsense.

If anything, Cuban's been the one who failed Dirk, first by not being able to supply a better 2nd option than Jason freaking Terry for the whole 2005-2011 period and then by breaking up the championship team after 2011 to go and chase superstar free agents which never materialized.

Go check Dirk's playoff numbers and tell me which better player Cuben could've realistically gotten. The answer is none. Cuban should be glad he lucked into Dirk - but never managed to reciprocate by providing Dirk with an legit allstar level #2 option after failing to resign Steve Nash right before he went on to winning two MVPs.

They also lost out on Giannis because Cuban wanted to save a buck.
Smoke117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 05:46 PM   #5
egokiller
The Mind Fvcker

Quote:
If anything, Cuban's been the one who failed Dirk, first by not being able to supply a better 2nd option than Jason freaking Terry for the whole 2005-2011 period.

Jason Terry owned Lebron's life in 2011. Why would a 05 version of him be any less dominating over Lebron?
egokiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 05:59 PM   #6
brain drain
I rule the local playground

Quote:
Originally Posted by egokiller
Jason Terry owned Lebron's life in 2011. Why would a 05 version of him be any less dominating over Lebron?

Terry very often disappeared in the playoffs.

During his time in Dallas, he usually had a PER somewhere between 16 and 19 during the regular season.

In the playoffs, he had 4 years in 12-12.5 range. That's absolutely, ridiculously horrible for a second option. of the other 4 years, when he had a PER of 16, 16 18 and 20, the Mavs went to the finals two times and won the championship once (that was Terry's lone 20 PER playoff season).

My conclusion is this: Dallas' problem was the lack of a reliable second option.

As a comparison look at the Spurs: Ginobili had 7 seasons with a playoff PER > 20, Tony Parker had 9 seasons with a playoff PER > 17. The fact that some fans thought that Dirk and his unorthodox playing style was the reason that Dallas didn't win championships is almost comical.

Last edited by brain drain : 06-25-2017 at 06:05 PM.
brain drain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 06:04 PM   #7
HylianNightmare
The Magic are a trash

Dirk just keeps on going
HylianNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 06:06 PM   #8
Kawhi m8
0/8

Dennis Smith Jr
Weslry Matthews
Harrison Barnes
Dirk
Nerlens Noel

Nothing thrilling about this tbh

Would not watch
Kawhi m8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 06:07 PM   #9
FireMcFailPlease
Loserville USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI09

Dennis Smith Jr
Weslry Matthews
Harrison Barnes
Dirk
Nerlens Noel
FireMcFailPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 06:55 PM   #10
ArbitraryWater
... on a leash

that team isnt that good lol. still sooo much work to be done
ArbitraryWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 07:05 PM   #11
kentatm
NBA Legend

Quote:
Terry very often disappeared in the playoffs.

During his time in Dallas, he usually had a PER somewhere between 16 and 19 during the regular season.

In the playoffs, he had 4 years in 12-12.5 range. That's absolutely, ridiculously horrible for a second option. of the other 4 years, when he had a PER of 16, 16 18 and 20, the Mavs went to the finals two times and won the championship once (that was Terry's lone 20 PER playoff season).

My conclusion is this: Dallas' problem was the lack of a reliable second option.

As a comparison look at the Spurs: Ginobili had 7 seasons with a playoff PER > 20, Tony Parker had 9 seasons with a playoff PER > 17. The fact that some fans thought that Dirk and his unorthodox playing style was the reason that Dallas didn't win championships is almost comical.

Terry would be like

for damn near every series once the playoffs would hit.

it was maddening.

the most stunning thing to me about 2011 was that he came through when he was need when he had so often gone cold in the past.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 07:07 PM   #12
AI09
Sixers Dynasty

They don't have to be a good team to be entertaining to watch. Hell their are good teams that are boring as fck. I'm interested in watching Smith Jr he should pull out some highlight reel dunks along with Barnes and the outside shooting of Matthews and Dirk. Than you got Noel athletic on both sides of the court. Outside of Dirk that team can really run up and the down the court.
AI09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 03:43 AM   #13
sannguyen19
I usually hit open layups

In 2014 Dirk sign a "hometown discount" 3/25 contract, probably saved the club 50+ millions. Dallas and a few other teams would have maxed him out. I dont see Cuban doing Dirk wrong by not picking up his 25 team option by offering a 2/25 instead. They will probably give him 2/40
sannguyen19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 04:02 PM   #14
Locked_Up_Tonight
Good college starter

Dallas will wait and see if they will trade a few players and absorb a contract. Or it gives them flexibility to sign someone.

If they don't then Dirk will take the extra money.

No big deal.
Locked_Up_Tonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 04:16 PM   #15
kentatm
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke117
They also lost out on Giannis because Cuban wanted to save a buck.

ehh... It wasn't really to "save" money as much as it was to have as much as possible to throw at Dwight.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: