Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-05-2017, 10:27 PM   #32
diamenz
Local High School Star

Default Re: Larry Bird would be nothing but a spot up shooter if he played post 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ
Bird would regularly blow by some of the most athletic defenders in the league in his day by up-faking his jumper and driving to the basket. Because he could hit from distance without jumping (or barely jumping), it was easy for him to keep opponents off-balance and respect his shot without committing himself. He also had an incredibly quick first step. There are multiple highlights of Bird leaving opponents on floor because of how well he could sell his fakes and jab-steps.

He also had this great move where he would post-up defenders and either lean middle or baseline before driving in the opposite direction toward the basket. Did this several times vs. the likes of Dr. J. and Rodman - guys who would have no trouble keeping up athletically with today's players.

But if you're talking face-up penetration and blowing by defenders with hesitation dribbles and crossovers, then yes, Bird never really did that. They didn't allow palming or traveling in the 80s.

larry was so deadly from the triple threat.
diamenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:41 PM   #33
dhsilv
NBA rookie of the year

Default Re: Larry Bird would be nothing but a spot up shooter if he played post 2000

Wow I never read the OP's post. I just assumed this was a thread to bash those who thought he'd be just a spot up shooter.

But yeah from what I've seen bird offensively would have some changes to his game.

I don't think his mastery of angles would work as well today when he did dribble drive. He wouldn't be catching the ball as often in the tween zone where he could use 3-5 dribbles and get to the rim. This would hurt his offensive ability, most importantly his scoring.

Bird was an above average passer (skill wise) and elite all time great court vision. Putting him in a Dray type role as a passer would be down right deadly and teams would do nearly anything they could to avoid him being in that role. His court vision would add a lot more value today in a space driven offensive system than it did in the 80's with teams trying to force the ball inside.

As others point out he's very much like dirk as a player from a scoring perspective. Dirk was better at creating space though. Bird's passing again adds a different element.

The concern is defense. He has great hands and timing so that will make up for athletic issues. He can't be a guy who can cover space with his speed. He won't be getting 2nd team defense like he did back in his day. He'd also be out by the 3 point line more so I'd expect rebounds to drop.

Offensively I'm not sure he scores more, but he very well could be a better offensive player today. Defensively he'd lose a good bit of value but I'm not sure he'd be a liability. He'd most certainly still be an all nba level palyer. I'm not sure if he'd be a 3 time MVP, but that's splitting hairs given the topic.
dhsilv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:58 PM   #34
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

I would love to watch Bird embarrass this generation of low IQ players.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 11:06 PM   #35
Locked_Up_Tonight
Good college starter

Where Bird would get killed on is pick and rolls. They would run him to death on it. And he would not be able to continually check guards on the perimeter.

He would still get stats though on offense.
Locked_Up_Tonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 11:12 PM   #36
MaxPlayer
Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked_Up_Tonight
Where Bird would get killed on is pick and rolls. They would run him to death on it. And he would not be able to continually check guards on the perimeter.

He would still get stats though on offense.

Yes, this.

I have no doubt he would get his points, but he would be much harder to hide on D.
MaxPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 11:16 PM   #37
mr4speed
I usually hit open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by colts19
A championship team that won 29 games the season before he arrived. For god's sake go watch some film of Bird before you post stupid shit.

This. Bird was the biggest reason the Celtics went from 29 wins to 61 wins in his rookie year. In year 2 Boston won it all and again Bird was their best player and would be every year he played. He excelled at every level and would do the same today.
mr4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 11:18 PM   #38
egokiller
The Mind Fvcker

If Bird were on the same court as Lebron, he would make Lebron cry on live TV.
He'd be like "your stepfather is named Da Real Lambo. You lose by default. Get the fuck off my court"

and that would be the end of it.

We're talking one of the greatest trash talkers of all time going up against one of the most insecure mental midgets of all time.
egokiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 11:20 PM   #39
MaxPlayer
Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote:
Originally Posted by egokiller
He'd be like "your stepfather is named Da Real Lambo. You lose by default. Get the fuck off my court"

We're talking one of the greatest trash talkers of all time going up against one of the most insecure mental midgets of all time.

Do you ever think about anything besides Lebron?
MaxPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 11:26 PM   #40
pauk
NBA Legend

Larry Bird would kill in this small ball no hand check shotjack wideopen 3's era...
pauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 11:29 PM   #41
LeFraud James
NEEDS MORE HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by egokiller

LeBron wouldn't have been able to ball in the 80's.

Bird and MJ would have made him retire and had him playing in the NFL.
LeFraud James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 11:51 PM   #42
kuniva_dAMiGhTy
The First School

Larry was a different cat. Who and what he was...was largely determined by his environment.

You'll never see another american-born white player like him, or even one that's close in ability.

Put him in today's game, and combine his overall iq (mental and decision-making) with the otherworldly skills and ability to hit the three-ball...? Man, I would feel sorry for players today. This generation is already sensitive as heck, so just imagine Bird shit-talking one of these dude's trying to guard him. Hah! No doubt they would label him a racist

Last edited by kuniva_dAMiGhTy : 07-05-2017 at 11:58 PM.
kuniva_dAMiGhTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 02:43 AM   #43
Solid Snake
Local High School Star

Bird would mentally devour these idiotic hip-hop thugs playing the game today.
Solid Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 02:53 AM   #44
Round Mound
NBA rookie of the year

1986 Bird was Easily The GOAT Forward.
Round Mound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 03:10 AM   #45
dhsilv
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Round Mound
1986 Bird was Easily The GOAT Forward.

03 Duncan, not even close. :)
dhsilv is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: