Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-24-2017, 11:23 PM   #16
BigNBAfan
Great college starter

Default Re: I just quit my job

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticBaller
Political Science?

Damn man, try to get into a insurance claims center I guess

What exactly do people who major in political science aim to become? Lawyers? Rough
BigNBAfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:35 PM   #17
Hawker
Repeal FATCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNBAfan
What exactly do people who major in political science aim to become? Lawyers? Rough

He got scammed.
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:40 PM   #18
CelticBaller
You mad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammichoffate
I'm looking into that and a bunch of stuff, gonna teach myself something useful like excel or salesforce. I would get back into non-profit research, but my internship was in DC and idk if I wanna move there just yet.
That's the best I can come up with right now. I work as an intern in the accounting department of an Insurance company so I talk to to a lot of the guys here. A job such as claim handling/adjusting is well paying and kind of easy to get from what I heard. Just have to get into a claims call center and work your way up
CelticBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:42 PM   #19
sammichoffate
Land o' Lakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNBAfan
Usually, I might look into getting a paralegal certificate idk yet. Most ppl usually go on to teach or do research in DC from my school, or go work for peace corps.
sammichoffate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:43 PM   #20
sammichoffate
Land o' Lakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker
He got scammed.
Not scammed, just a shitty ROI. I have like no debt cuz I took out no loans and my tuition was covered with financial aid/scholarships.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:47 PM   #21
plowking
Verticle?

Ignore people on here for the most part.

Do what makes you happy. People try and over complicate life, but really, just set yourself some goals, try and achieve them, and set yourself alternate goals or other prospects if they don't work out.

Like I said, do what makes you happy. Always be prepared, don't do anything rash that you can't handle. If you can afford to quit your job and look for something else that makes you feel better, then do it. You're clearly young, so you have plenty of time.

Young people in our day and age change their careers over 10+ times. Keep going until you find something that you like, or can work with. I'm fairly well off in what I do now, and I don't even know if I want to do it the rest of my life.
plowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:47 PM   #22
sammichoffate
Land o' Lakes

Quote:
That's the best I can come up with right now. I work as an intern in the accounting department of an Insurance company so I talk to to a lot of the guys here. A job such as claim handling/adjusting is well paying and kind of easy to get from what I heard. Just have to get into a claims call center and work your way up
Thanks brah. I've read they do like an intense training program for certain places like Geico, but that you're basically a beast afterwards

https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Ep...ews-E35163.htm

I've read mixed reviews about this place, they take any major and put you through hell the first year (50+hrs a week) but the pay is very good and you're set afterwards if you leave.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:49 PM   #23
CelticBaller
You mad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowking

Do what makes you happy. People try and over complicate life, but really, just set yourself some goals, try and achieve them, and set yourself alternate goals or other prospects if they don't work out.

Like I said, do what makes you happy. Always be prepared, don't do anything rash that you can't handle. If you can afford to quit your job and look for something else that makes you feel better, then do it. You're clearly young, so you have plenty of time.

Young people in our day and age change their careers over 10+ times. Keep going until you find something that you like, or can work with. I'm fairly well off in what I do now, and I don't even know if I want to do it the rest of my life.
Doing what you want is fun and easy until you realize you live in America

You work so you can do what you love, not the other way around
Old 07-24-2017, 11:54 PM   #24
sammichoffate
Land o' Lakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowking

It's okay, ik they mean well and just wanna be honest with me.
Thanks, I really appreciate it. I quit this job because it was making me miserable each day I woke up, I felt like I could be doing so much more. At the end of the day, I just wanna figure out what makes me happy or have a job that doesn't completely suck that'll allow me to support stuff that makes me happy. Also want to take care of the fam with bills and stuff too. I don't want to wake up 80 years old looking back at a nice retirement when I could've given some of it up and taken more risks when I was younger.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:56 PM   #25
CelticBaller
You mad?

Quote:
Thanks brah. I've read they do like an intense training program for certain places like Geico, but that you're basically a beast afterwards

https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Ep...ews-E35163.htm

I've read mixed reviews about this place, they take any major and put you through hell the first year (50+hrs a week) but the pay is very good and you're set afterwards if you leave.
Yeah if I was doing insurance I would try to stay away from the regular ones and try some premium companies like united health, travelers etc. companies who have spots of F500 and have reputations on the line.

Bro 50 doesn't sound too bad. Just tought it out, before you know it you'll be offered better roles with more flexibility. If not you at least have that on your resume for your next job
Old 07-24-2017, 11:57 PM   #26
sammichoffate
Land o' Lakes

Quote:
Doing what you want is fun and easy until you realize you live in America

You work so you can do what you love, not the other way around
It's not like work and happiness can't be mutually exclusive, but you're right. I think i'll go through like 10+ different careers till I find the right fit tbh
Old 07-25-2017, 12:00 AM   #27
CelticBaller
You mad?

Quote:
It's not like work and happiness can't be mutually exclusive, but you're right. I think i'll go through like 10+ different careers till I find the right fit tbh
Life and work can coexist but it's not something that happens over night.

You learn to love what you're doing, out your job is so comfortable it allows you to do what you love on the side
Old 07-25-2017, 12:01 AM   #28
egokiller
The Mind Fvcker

I can't imagine having your bachelors be something that isn't tied to taking your math, physics, biology, and chemistry skills to at least bachelor's level.

The whole point of living is knowing how shit works, not to be a parasite and use shit just for the sake of using it. The more intricate details you know about how something works, the more fulfillment you'll have in life.

What's the point of having say smart phone if you don't understand the basic hardware, what it's comprised of, how it's manufactured, etc. What are you going to do, push the buttons and be like:

"I don't know how this works the way it does but I sure do like the convenience of it dur... dur.. dur..."

What's the point in driving a car if you don't understand the basic mechanism of combustion, and the inner workings of an engine. The purpose of a crank, a cam, air flow, etc.

What's the point of flying on a plane if you don't understand the basic principles of flight?

What's the point in watching basketball if you don't know how basic offensive and defensive sets?

What's the point of living in a house if you don't know how basic electric, plumbing, and carpentry. I'm going to plug my shit in the wall. Oooooh it works! Are you fvcking kidding me? If you don't know how to keep your grass looking green and basic concepts of soil pH, fertilizer, what kind of grass you have, how to cut it, etc then wtf are you doing owning land with a house on it?

If you don't know how your body processes protein, carbs, fats, sugars, etc and how much you need and what type, then why the hell are you eating?

What is the point you ask? The point is for you to NOT know so that other people can continue to make money off your ass.

I mean shit, we've got people paying for "life coaches" because they can't understand basic shit and what's required for them to move out of their mom's basement.

It's mind boggling how people just walk though life in such a meaningless fashion, interacting with different things, and not knowing a single thing about them other than how to turn it on and off. Someone made that so that you could use it. The least someone could do is pay their respect and try to learn a little bit about wtf goes into making it you selfish prick.
egokiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 12:02 AM   #29
sammichoffate
Land o' Lakes

Quote:
Yeah if I was doing insurance I would try to stay away from the regular ones and try some premium companies like united health, travelers etc. companies who have spots of F500 and have reputations on the line.

Bro 50 doesn't sound too bad. Just tought it out, before you know it you'll be offered better roles with more flexibility. If not you at least have that on your resume for your next job
Yeah, that's definitely a good strategy. I might try reaching out to some recruiters at my job fair this week in Fort Lauderdale or on LinkedIn to see if they need anyone.

Yeah, i'm really considering it. I just dunno if it's the best option for me atm, i'll see in the next couple of months. I've looked into teaching english abroad and read that it's usually a positive experience. Most schools only need a bachelor's/TEFL and you can save a good amount of money since they pay for room+board+flight. Also can travel on weekends
Old 07-25-2017, 12:04 AM   #30
egokiller
The Mind Fvcker

Quote:
Yeah, that's definitely a good strategy. I might try reaching out to some recruiters at my job fair this week in Fort Lauderdale or on LinkedIn to see if they need anyone.

Yeah, i'm really considering it. I just dunno if it's the best option for me atm, i'll see in the next couple of months. I've looked into teaching english abroad and read that it's usually a positive experience. Most schools only need a bachelor's/TEFL and you can save a good amount of money since they pay for room+board+flight. Also can travel on weekends

Now you're talking. Just make sure you make friends with people wherever you are at that know how shit works. They will save you $$$. Don't be one of those fucc boi's that doesn't know shit and get's taken advantage of.
egokiller is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: