Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2017, 11:07 PM   #31
sammichoffate
Land o' Lakes
 
sammichoffate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Slowpoke Well
Posts: 5,277
Default Re: I just quit my job

Quote:
Originally Posted by egokiller
Now you're talking. Just make sure you make friends with people wherever you are at that know how shit works. They will save you $$$. Don't be one of those fucc boi's that doesn't know shit and get's taken advantage of.
I won't, I always research something/someone before I decide on what to do. My degree taught me how to do that at least lol
sammichoffate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:25 PM   #32
Doomsday Dallas
2017/18 SB Champs
 
Doomsday Dallas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: teXas
Posts: 16,142
Default Re: I just quit my job

Quote:
Originally Posted by egokiller
I can't imagine having your bachelors be something that isn't tied to taking your math, physics, biology, and chemistry skills to at least bachelor's level.

The whole point of living is knowing how shit works, not to be a parasite and use shit just for the sake of using it. The more intricate details you know about how something works, the more fulfillment you'll have in life.

What's the point of having say smart phone if you don't understand the basic hardware, what it's comprised of, how it's manufactured, etc. What are you going to do, push the buttons and be like:

"I don't know how this works the way it does but I sure do like the convenience of it dur... dur.. dur..."

What's the point in driving a car if you don't understand the basic mechanism of combustion, and the inner workings of an engine. The purpose of a crank, a cam, air flow, etc.

What's the point of flying on a plane if you don't understand the basic principles of flight?

What's the point in watching basketball if you don't know how basic offensive and defensive sets?

What's the point of living in a house if you don't know how basic electric, plumbing, and carpentry. I'm going to plug my shit in the wall. Oooooh it works! Are you fvcking kidding me? If you don't know how to keep your grass looking green and basic concepts of soil pH, fertilizer, what kind of grass you have, how to cut it, etc then wtf are you doing owning land with a house on it?

If you don't know how your body processes protein, carbs, fats, sugars, etc and how much you need and what type, then why the hell are you eating?

What is the point you ask? The point is for you to NOT know so that other people can continue to make money off your ass.

I mean shit, we've got people paying for "life coaches" because they can't understand basic shit and what's required for them to move out of their mom's basement.

It's mind boggling how people just walk though life in such a meaningless fashion, interacting with different things, and not knowing a single thing about them other than how to turn it on and off. Someone made that so that you could use it. The least someone could do is pay their respect and try to learn a little bit about wtf goes into making it you selfish prick.



Councillor Hamann

Doomsday Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 12:28 AM   #33
kNIOKAS
There will be plaster
 
kNIOKAS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 5,689
Default Re: I just quit my job

Good for you. Sounds like you're relieved now.

Tell us how it goes
kNIOKAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 04:17 PM   #34
sammichoffate
Land o' Lakes
 
sammichoffate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Slowpoke Well
Posts: 5,277
Default Re: I just quit my job

Update: Passed a phone interview this week for a retail sales job at Comcast, in-person interview next week. Part-timer hours with decent pay, they have commission available along with 4-6 weeks paid training, and free internet/services. Something good to keep me floating while i learn stuff on my own and see where I wanna go. Can move up to a new position in the company after 6 months as well. Also gotten calls for account manager positions, not sure if those are scams though because they keep messaging me after I put my info on indeed/linkedin/ziprecruiter:

https://www.ziprecruiter.com/jobs/mt... jobs_list_us
https://www.sapphireblueconsultants....29499534213120

Do you guys reach out to recruiters on linkedin after you apply? I actually haven't heard back from anyone that I applied for yet. Know it's only been a week, but just wondering if it's beneficial at all.

Last edited by sammichoffate : 08-12-2017 at 04:21 PM.
sammichoffate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 07:32 PM   #35
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies
 
GOBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Illadelph live 215
Posts: 47,071
Default Re: I just quit my job

Good luck to you. And I hope you realize you have all the time in the world to pursue whatever it is you decide. Obviously that doesn't imply procrastinate for some idiot who reads it that way. I saw a post where you said "I probably should've taken IT certs". I don't think probably should exist in your world. You can still do it if that's what you want.



Quote:
Originally Posted by egokiller
I can't imagine having your bachelors be something that isn't tied to taking your math, physics, biology, and chemistry skills to at least bachelor's level.

The whole point of living is knowing how shit works, not to be a parasite and use shit just for the sake of using it. The more intricate details you know about how something works, the more fulfillment you'll have in life.

What's the point of having say smart phone if you don't understand the basic hardware, what it's comprised of, how it's manufactured, etc. What are you going to do, push the buttons and be like:

"I don't know how this works the way it does but I sure do like the convenience of it dur... dur.. dur..."

What's the point in driving a car if you don't understand the basic mechanism of combustion, and the inner workings of an engine. The purpose of a crank, a cam, air flow, etc.

What's the point of flying on a plane if you don't understand the basic principles of flight?

What's the point in watching basketball if you don't know how basic offensive and defensive sets?

What's the point of living in a house if you don't know how basic electric, plumbing, and carpentry. I'm going to plug my shit in the wall. Oooooh it works! Are you fvcking kidding me? If you don't know how to keep your grass looking green and basic concepts of soil pH, fertilizer, what kind of grass you have, how to cut it, etc then wtf are you doing owning land with a house on it?

If you don't know how your body processes protein, carbs, fats, sugars, etc and how much you need and what type, then why the hell are you eating?

What is the point you ask? The point is for you to NOT know so that other people can continue to make money off your ass.

I mean shit, we've got people paying for "life coaches" because they can't understand basic shit and what's required for them to move out of their mom's basement.

It's mind boggling how people just walk though life in such a meaningless fashion, interacting with different things, and not knowing a single thing about them other than how to turn it on and off. Someone made that so that you could use it. The least someone could do is pay their respect and try to learn a little bit about wtf goes into making it you selfish prick.


GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:11 PM   #36
sammichoffate
Land o' Lakes
 
sammichoffate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Slowpoke Well
Posts: 5,277
Default Re: I just quit my job

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Good luck to you. And I hope you realize you have all the time in the world to pursue whatever it is you decide. Obviously that doesn't imply procrastinate for some idiot who reads it that way. I saw a post where you said "I probably should've taken IT certs". I don't think probably should exist in your world. You can still do it if that's what you want.






Ty Gobb, ur a good m8. I'm p bad at procrastinating and getting stuff started, but once I start doing something I get intensely focused on it for a while lol. I'm more introverted so i'm seeing if it would fit my work style the best, i'm just trying different stuff atm to see what I like the most like learning salesforce or web development.
sammichoffate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:16 PM   #37
egokiller
The Mind Fvcker
 
egokiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 4,684
Default Re: I just quit my job

What's up with these med school graduates or "successful" morons bragging about making 6 figures or even feeling any form of pride when they've had some form of financial assistance earlier in their life? Handouts so to speak. If mommy and daddy paid for their high school clothes, their car, their college, their living expenses, or anything for that matter much past 16 years old..... guess what? Such a person is already out of the conversation.

Literally patting themselves on the back for nothing. It doesn't impress me, or anyone else. Their colleagues may give them fake respect on the surface, but they will always respect the other guy that got there own his own and they will respect the other guy who got their without handouts by an exponential factor over the guy who made it there through handouts. There is no comparison. This is not a "well if you made it you made it" situation, not by a fucking long shot. People's real opinions of you in the real world do matter.

Now lets compare such an upbringing to someone that had to have a paper route when they were 12 years old so that they could afford the same kicks as the other kids (because their parents weren't wealthy enough to buy them for them) only to make their first 6 figures by the age of 27 through hard work and determination. Now that's impressive. That means something. That's something you can pat yourself on the back for. It's something to wake up for, because you KNOW you are alpha as fvck and there's not damn thing anyone can do about it. They can't magically change your past and pretend that you were given handouts when you weren't. You wake up knowing that you won the game of life. It's a great feeling.

I can't imagine going through life being some fucc boi that made it to where they are at today due to handouts, but no one truly respects them once they find out their upbringing. They will always be in the rear view and less respected than the next guy who holds an equal position that got there by their own determination and hard work.

"But I got good grades!" "I was top of my class!" "I graduated college!" "I got a masters!" "I earned this!"

Is that all? Really? The next guy did all that WHILE not having the financial cushion of mommy and daddy. They live a more enjoyable life than the handout taker could ever possibly fathom, and they have no problem at all reminding these handout takers how they came to be.

YOU WILL NOT impress a fellow 6 figure roller in terms of career success if you needed handouts to get there and they didn't. Period.

Last edited by egokiller : 08-12-2017 at 10:20 PM.
egokiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 01:19 AM   #38
sammichoffate
Land o' Lakes
 
sammichoffate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Slowpoke Well
Posts: 5,277
Default Re: I just quit my job

Update: Got an offer to start next week doing online chat support, pay is $12/hr but can advance p quickly and the environment seems rly chill and startup feel. Taking the job while waiting on other interviews, including one that pays 40k. Thanks for all the help ISH brahs
sammichoffate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 03:54 AM   #39
plowking
Verticle?
 
plowking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: We goin' Sizzler
Posts: 27,323
Default Re: I just quit my job

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Good luck to you. And I hope you realize you have all the time in the world to pursue whatever it is you decide. Obviously that doesn't imply procrastinate for some idiot who reads it that way. I saw a post where you said "I probably should've taken IT certs". I don't think probably should exist in your world. You can still do it if that's what you want.



Nice post GOBB.

Good to hear OP. Keep going and get to where you want to be. Keep chopping and changing until it sits right with you. As long as you can afford to do it obviously.

Hope it works out.
plowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:46 AM   #40
UK2K
NBA Legend
 
UK2K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 16,715
Default Re: I just quit my job

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammichoffate
Update: Got an offer to start next week doing online chat support, pay is $12/hr but can advance p quickly and the environment seems rly chill and startup feel. Taking the job while waiting on other interviews, including one that pays 40k. Thanks for all the help ISH brahs

~5ish years I ago I was homeless.

Now I own my home, and I'm looking to build a new one. I drive a sexy ass truck.

Just keep putting one foot in front of the other. If you quit or give up on one small thing, that makes it easier to quit or give up on another, and then it becomes a habit.
UK2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:59 AM   #41
nathanjizzle
Trumptard Persecutor
 
nathanjizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 13,837
Default Re: I just quit my job

Quote:
Originally Posted by egokiller
What's up with these med school graduates or "successful" morons bragging about making 6 figures or even feeling any form of pride when they've had some form of financial assistance earlier in their life? Handouts so to speak. If mommy and daddy paid for their high school clothes, their car, their college, their living expenses, or anything for that matter much past 16 years old..... guess what? Such a person is already out of the conversation.

Literally patting themselves on the back for nothing. It doesn't impress me, or anyone else. Their colleagues may give them fake respect on the surface, but they will always respect the other guy that got there own his own and they will respect the other guy who got their without handouts by an exponential factor over the guy who made it there through handouts. There is no comparison. This is not a "well if you made it you made it" situation, not by a fucking long shot. People's real opinions of you in the real world do matter.

Now lets compare such an upbringing to someone that had to have a paper route when they were 12 years old so that they could afford the same kicks as the other kids (because their parents weren't wealthy enough to buy them for them) only to make their first 6 figures by the age of 27 through hard work and determination. Now that's impressive. That means something. That's something you can pat yourself on the back for. It's something to wake up for, because you KNOW you are alpha as fvck and there's not damn thing anyone can do about it. They can't magically change your past and pretend that you were given handouts when you weren't. You wake up knowing that you won the game of life. It's a great feeling.

I can't imagine going through life being some fucc boi that made it to where they are at today due to handouts, but no one truly respects them once they find out their upbringing. They will always be in the rear view and less respected than the next guy who holds an equal position that got there by their own determination and hard work.

"But I got good grades!" "I was top of my class!" "I graduated college!" "I got a masters!" "I earned this!"

Is that all? Really? The next guy did all that WHILE not having the financial cushion of mommy and daddy. They live a more enjoyable life than the handout taker could ever possibly fathom, and they have no problem at all reminding these handout takers how they came to be.

YOU WILL NOT impress a fellow 6 figure roller in terms of career success if you needed handouts to get there and they didn't. Period.

only if i could have had 200k loan and grants to build a business at 18
nathanjizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:34 AM   #42
UK2K
NBA Legend
 
UK2K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 16,715
Default Re: I just quit my job

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanjizzle
only if i could have had 200k loan and grants to build a business at 18

What would you build?
UK2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 11:12 AM   #43
highwhey
I DREW THE D1CKS
 
highwhey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Elwood City
Posts: 13,675
Default Re: I just quit my job

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK2K
What would you build?
i already have a business plan in place. i'd get it in motion with a quarter of that 200k.
highwhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:22 PM   #44
nightprowler10
Hold the door
 
nightprowler10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Madhouse on Madison
Posts: 4,416
Default Re: I just quit my job

Quote:
Originally Posted by egokiller
What's up with these med school graduates or "successful" morons bragging about making 6 figures or even feeling any form of pride when they've had some form of financial assistance earlier in their life? Handouts so to speak. If mommy and daddy paid for their high school clothes, their car, their college, their living expenses, or anything for that matter much past 16 years old..... guess what? Such a person is already out of the conversation.

Literally patting themselves on the back for nothing. It doesn't impress me, or anyone else. Their colleagues may give them fake respect on the surface, but they will always respect the other guy that got there own his own and they will respect the other guy who got their without handouts by an exponential factor over the guy who made it there through handouts. There is no comparison. This is not a "well if you made it you made it" situation, not by a fucking long shot. People's real opinions of you in the real world do matter.

Now lets compare such an upbringing to someone that had to have a paper route when they were 12 years old so that they could afford the same kicks as the other kids (because their parents weren't wealthy enough to buy them for them) only to make their first 6 figures by the age of 27 through hard work and determination. Now that's impressive. That means something. That's something you can pat yourself on the back for. It's something to wake up for, because you KNOW you are alpha as fvck and there's not damn thing anyone can do about it. They can't magically change your past and pretend that you were given handouts when you weren't. You wake up knowing that you won the game of life. It's a great feeling.

I can't imagine going through life being some fucc boi that made it to where they are at today due to handouts, but no one truly respects them once they find out their upbringing. They will always be in the rear view and less respected than the next guy who holds an equal position that got there by their own determination and hard work.

"But I got good grades!" "I was top of my class!" "I graduated college!" "I got a masters!" "I earned this!"

Is that all? Really? The next guy did all that WHILE not having the financial cushion of mommy and daddy. They live a more enjoyable life than the handout taker could ever possibly fathom, and they have no problem at all reminding these handout takers how they came to be.

YOU WILL NOT impress a fellow 6 figure roller in terms of career success if you needed handouts to get there and they didn't. Period.

Man, I went through some shit to get to where I am but your post is bullshit. Everybody is a product of what hand they were dealt. I am what I am BECAUSE I had no bed to sleep on for 6 months after we sold everything we owned to come to this country. I am what I am BECAUSE I had to clean people's shit at Walmart. Do I wish my parents were in better shape financially so they could give me a good start like I see so many other people getting? Of course! But I don't envy them. They had their situation and I had mine. Simple as that. Nobody should feel guilty for being born into a good situation. Just do the absolute best you can with the hand you're dealt. **** everyone else's opinion.
nightprowler10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:25 PM   #45
nightprowler10
Hold the door
 
nightprowler10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Madhouse on Madison
Posts: 4,416
Default Re: I just quit my job

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNBAfan
great job burning bridges
It's a call center. He'll be fine.
nightprowler10 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:25 PM.




NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
Search Site

FOLLOW US
Twitter
Facebook
















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy