Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-22-2017, 10:45 PM   #46
falc39
Local High School Star

Default Re: I just quit my job

Quote:
Originally Posted by egokiller
What's up with these med school graduates or "successful" morons bragging about making 6 figures or even feeling any form of pride when they've had some form of financial assistance earlier in their life? Handouts so to speak. If mommy and daddy paid for their high school clothes, their car, their college, their living expenses, or anything for that matter much past 16 years old..... guess what? Such a person is already out of the conversation.

Literally patting themselves on the back for nothing. It doesn't impress me, or anyone else. Their colleagues may give them fake respect on the surface, but they will always respect the other guy that got there own his own and they will respect the other guy who got their without handouts by an exponential factor over the guy who made it there through handouts. There is no comparison. This is not a "well if you made it you made it" situation, not by a fucking long shot. People's real opinions of you in the real world do matter.

Now lets compare such an upbringing to someone that had to have a paper route when they were 12 years old so that they could afford the same kicks as the other kids (because their parents weren't wealthy enough to buy them for them) only to make their first 6 figures by the age of 27 through hard work and determination. Now that's impressive. That means something. That's something you can pat yourself on the back for. It's something to wake up for, because you KNOW you are alpha as fvck and there's not damn thing anyone can do about it. They can't magically change your past and pretend that you were given handouts when you weren't. You wake up knowing that you won the game of life. It's a great feeling.

I can't imagine going through life being some fucc boi that made it to where they are at today due to handouts, but no one truly respects them once they find out their upbringing. They will always be in the rear view and less respected than the next guy who holds an equal position that got there by their own determination and hard work.

"But I got good grades!" "I was top of my class!" "I graduated college!" "I got a masters!" "I earned this!"

Is that all? Really? The next guy did all that WHILE not having the financial cushion of mommy and daddy. They live a more enjoyable life than the handout taker could ever possibly fathom, and they have no problem at all reminding these handout takers how they came to be.

YOU WILL NOT impress a fellow 6 figure roller in terms of career success if you needed handouts to get there and they didn't. Period.

This is all relative. There's probably someone in a third-world country that would never be impressed with anyone who has made it and was born in a first-world country no matter where they started in life. Because even if you are poor here and never got help, you are still in the top 1% of the world and grew up in a civilized society with clean water and other stuff we probably take for granted.

The better way is to not try to impress anyone. Everyday should be a competition to improve and be better than your previous self regardless of your beginnings. Honestly, if you have made it, who cares if others are impressed or not? Respect from the vast majority of people is overrated.
falc39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 12:22 AM   #47
nightprowler10
Hold the door

Default Re: I just quit my job

Quote:
Originally Posted by falc39
This is all relative. There's probably someone in a third-world country that would never be impressed with anyone who has made it and was born in a first-world country no matter where they started in life. Because even if you are poor here and never got help, you are still in the top 1% of the world and grew up in a civilized society with clean water and other stuff we probably take for granted.

The better way is to not try to impress anyone. Everyday should be a competition to improve and be better than your previous self regardless of your beginnings. Honestly, if you have made it, who cares if others are impressed or not? Respect from the vast majority of people is overrated.
My outlook on life changed the most when I started setting goals for myself and started holding myself to higher and higher standards.
nightprowler10 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: