Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 06-02-2007, 02:43 PM   #1
And1Ba11a
I airball my layups

And1Ba11a has an OK reputation so far
Default Worst number 1 draft picks in NBA history

What number 1 picks went to waste in NBA history?

Last edited by And1Ba11a : 06-02-2007 at 02:48 PM.
And1Ba11a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 02:58 PM   #2
qrich
King Heno

qrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Worst number 1 draft picks in NBA history

It's between Kwame and the Kandi man. I'd say Kwame is because Kandi actually had a season where he got 12/9 with 2 blocks, while Kwame's best stat season was when he got 11/7 with .7 blocks per.
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 02:58 PM   #3
B-Low
The Love B-Low

B-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Kwame and Olawakandi pop into my head first
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 03:06 PM   #4
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year

fatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected poster

Kwame Brown - 2001 (over Gasol)
Michael Olowokandi - 1998 (over Bibby, Vince, Jamison)
LaRue Martin - 1972 (over Bob McAdoo)

I would have to say that Kandi is the worst #1 pick of all-time because of the other options available. With LaRue Martin, the only other recognizable name I see is McAdoo at #2. With Kwame, yeah, there's Gasol but he was a big question mark coming in. That was just a weak draft. With Kandi, there were a number of obviously better players available.
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 03:10 PM   #5
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

bdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Kwame "Small Hands" Brown.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 03:15 PM   #6
White Chocolate
5-time NBA All-Star

White Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputation

The #1 picks that didn't live up to expectations in my opinion were Pervis Ellison(1989), Joe Smith(1995), Michael Olowokandi(1998), and Kwame Brown(2001).

-Pervis Ellison's situation is a bit different from the others. He is considered a bust not because of lack of skills, but because of injuries. He did average 20/11 in his third season and 17/8 in his fourth season, but injuries caught up with him and after his third season, he played in 60+ games once. He had a promising future, but some are not as fortunate as others.

-Joe Smith was a solid player, but not good for a #1 pick. He averaged 17.1 PPG/8 RPG/1.2 BPG in his first three seasons, but he was supposed to be a beast coming out of college and he never became that player in the NBA.

-Michael Olowokandi played nine seasons, and he's had only one decent season. He had a excellent start to the 2002-03 season, but he was injured for most of the season and that ended his days as a Clipper. He was never the same player.

-Kwame Brown was a hot shot coming straight out of high school. He has been injury prone his entire career and has never put together a great season. His current injury may shorten or end his career.
White Chocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 03:18 PM   #7
DLeagueWannabe
a softer side

DLeagueWannabe has an OK reputation so far

Gotta go with Kwame, he's just seems weak as hell IMO...
DLeagueWannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 03:21 PM   #8
Psileas
NBA lottery pick

Psileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

LaRue Martin:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...martila01.html
Psileas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 03:33 PM   #9
Big One
Local High School Star

Big One has decent reputation

Kenyon Martin was pretty bad as well imo. for a first pick i expected more.
Big One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 03:45 PM   #10
fatboy11

fatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big One
I think that is poor logic.

I think a #1 pick is only "a bad pick" if they don't pan out. Now, at the time, K-Mart was the #1 guy. No doubt. I mean, who would you honestly have taken over him? Stro Swift? Fizer? He was the guy. He's had injury problems. Out of the top 10 picks, I'd say he's still the best player today. It was just a weak draft.
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 05:07 PM   #11
bullsfan
I hit open 5-footers

bullsfan has an OK reputation so far

The thing I dont get is why lakers would trade Caron Butler tha allstar for Kwame Brown
bullsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 05:21 PM   #12
KINGofTHEcourt
Banned

KINGofTHEcourt has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big One
K-Mart was a beast before he had all the surgeries and injuries. He broke his leg in college, so he was already considered injury-prone. K-Mart was always a great player when healthy though.
KINGofTHEcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 05:21 PM   #13
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

pete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Andrea Bargnani.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 06:20 PM   #14
Richie2k6
Smooth Like Butter

Richie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
Andrea Bargnani.
Idiot.
Richie2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 06:25 PM   #15
Rockets(T-mac)

Rockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputation

Kwame I'd say Kandi was bad not as bad as Kwame.
Rockets(T-mac) is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: