Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 09-02-2017, 08:47 PM   #1
ArbitraryWater
... on a leash

Default Dirk Nowitzki Schools Kevin Garnett's Defense - 2002 Playoffs 1st Rd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF_ehaEogEY

ArbitraryWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 09:00 PM   #2
Pointguard
3-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Dirk Nowitzki Schools Kevin Garnett's Defense - 2002 Playoffs 1st Rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater
Wow, a total lack of grace and a complete waste of time. I can't believe they caught all five plays where Dirk scored on KG in that series.
Pointguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 09:03 PM   #3
FireDavidKahn
The Puppeteer

Default Re: Dirk Nowitzki Schools Kevin Garnett's Defense - 2002 Playoffs 1st Rd

I'll admit he did outplay KG

You still can't deny the rest of the team was completely dreadful though. What's funny is that even despite Dirk kicking his ass, KG still had the lowest DRTG by FAR of the people who played the most for the Wolves.

Peeler: 67 MP 111 DRTG
Garnett: 130 MP 111 DRTG
Mitchell: 34 MP 115 DRTG
Nesterovic: 92 MP 118 DRTG
Billups: 134 MP 120 DRTG
Szczerbiak: 131 MP 121 DRTG
Pack: 10 MP 123 DRTG
Smith: 43 MP 123 DRTG
Trent: 48 MP 124 DRTG
Lopez: 30 MP 128 DRTG
Jackson: 1 MP 129 DRTG

FireDavidKahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 09:19 PM   #4
CelticBaller
You mad?

As good as KG was on defense there was no stopping Dirk

The only thing that could stop Dirk is his own mental weakness prior to 2011
CelticBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 09:28 PM   #5
tpols
we already won

On one hand the series wasnt a fair matchup...but otoh it was a common theme in dirks career to outplay more well rounded HOF power forwards.

Should be a lesson to all...the ability to accurately put the ball in the hoop under any circumstance is the most coveted trait in basketball.
tpols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 09:45 PM   #6
FireDavidKahn
The Puppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpols
On one hand the series wasnt a fair matchup...but otoh it was a common theme in dirks career to outplay more well rounded HOF power forwards.

Should be a lesson to all...the ability to accurately put the ball in the hoop under any circumstance is the most coveted trait in basketball.
I'm not so sure I agree with that.

It is so much easier to find a good offensive player than it is to find a truly good defensive player. And I'm not talking about all these scrub's labeled "3 and d" players, I mean actual good defenders.
Old 09-02-2017, 10:00 PM   #7
tpols
we already won

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDavidKahn

It is so much easier to find a good offensive player than it is to find a truly good defensive player. And I'm not talking about all these scrub's labeled "3 and d" players, I mean actual good defenders.

That's not true at all...finding true clutch offensive talent is the highest premium in this sport. ANY body can play defense if they want. We see that with guys like Matthew dellavdova..its just effort and discipline. Every skill in basketball can be replaced with effort EXCEPT putting the ball in the hole in adverse situations. THAT is where true talent shines and if they have the all around stuff on top of that its just a cherry.
tpols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 10:42 PM   #8
DMAVS41
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:

So you think a guy like Ben Wallace then is clear cut better than Steve Nash, for example?
DMAVS41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 11:21 PM   #9
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMAVS41
So you think a guy like Ben Wallace then is clear cut better than Steve Nash, for example?

No that is absurd. Offense is way more valuable in basketball, especially considering that you have to score so much.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 11:59 PM   #10
Smoke117
NBA Legend

Quote:
I'll admit he did outplay KG

You still can't deny the rest of the team was completely dreadful though. What's funny is that even despite Dirk kicking his ass, KG still had the lowest DRTG by FAR of the people who played the most for the Wolves.

Peeler: 67 MP 111 DRTG
Garnett: 130 MP 111 DRTG
Mitchell: 34 MP 115 DRTG
Nesterovic: 92 MP 118 DRTG
Billups: 134 MP 120 DRTG
Szczerbiak: 131 MP 121 DRTG
Pack: 10 MP 123 DRTG
Smith: 43 MP 123 DRTG
Trent: 48 MP 124 DRTG
Lopez: 30 MP 128 DRTG
Jackson: 1 MP 129 DRTG

Because Kevin Garnett is great team defender. Great team defensive players have a bigger impact than great one on one defensive players. KG was always everywhere helping the rest of his teammates on any given play.
Smoke117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 12:00 AM   #11
Smoke117
NBA Legend

Quote:

Kevin Garnett at his best is better than Dirk at his best. His 2004 season is one of the 10 greatest ever by anyone.
Old 09-03-2017, 12:02 AM   #12
Smoke117
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic
No that is absurd. Offense is way more valuable in basketball, especially considering that you have to score so much.

Not really. It's just as important to stop the other team from scoring as it is scoring yourself. The Pistons were only the 17th ranked offense in 05...they won with their defense.
Old 09-03-2017, 12:35 AM   #13
FireDavidKahn
The Puppeteer

Quote:
That's not true at all...finding true clutch offensive talent is the highest premium in this sport. ANY body can play defense if they want. We see that with guys like Matthew dellavdova..its just effort and discipline. Every skill in basketball can be replaced with effort EXCEPT putting the ball in the hole in adverse situations. THAT is where true talent shines and if they have the all around stuff on top of that its just a cherry.
I said "truly good defensive players". Delly is a scrub and his defense isn't even that good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMAVS41

Prime Wallace might just be the greatest defensive player ever and was the key cog to a championship team.

Just look at the 03-04 season when they won the championship:

First round: Milwaukee (106.5 ORTG 4th in league) - 95.8 ORTG
Second round: Nets (100.8 ORTG 25th in league) - 93.5 ORTG
Third round: Pacers (103.8 ORTG 9th in league) - 87.8 ORTG
Finals: Lakers (105.5 ORTG 6th in league) - 96.1 ORTG

I'm not talking about run of the mill defenders, I'm talking about truly elite. They are very rare which is why they are so sought after. It's much easier to find offensive talent than it is defensive talent.

Utah isn't even a playoff team last year if they didn't have Gobert.

Who do you think is more impactful?

Draymond

or

Lou Williams?
Jamal Crawford?
Old 09-03-2017, 12:45 AM   #14
eliteballer
Very good NBA starter

Lol, 3 minutes of highlights consisting of maybe 10 plays from an entire series.
eliteballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 04:23 AM   #15
kentatm
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliteballer
Lol, 3 minutes of highlights consisting of maybe 10 plays from an entire series.

So what you're saying is... KG was too chicken shit to cover Dirk and the TWolves stuck Rasho on him instead.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: