Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-19-2017, 10:31 AM   #16
UK2K
NBA Legend

Default Re: Single-Payer Healthcare

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpols
good luck with your health savings account when you need 100s of K treatments to fix all the problems youll have in 10-20 years from smokin all the time.... i dont think you comprehend how much healthcare actually costs. Your account would be wiped out in under a month if you develop any serious condition. you cant save for real world healthcare with a piggy bank lmao

If, maybe. Perhaps. By chance...

If I cross the street, I may get hit by a bus.

But I'll take my chances and IF that day comes, I'll deal with it then. The last thing I, personally, would do is expect YOU to pay for my healthcare.

I know, crazy, right? Paying for your own shit.
UK2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:35 AM   #17
tpols
we already won

shouldnt have written if... "when" is more appropriate. Everybody eventually gets sick UK. (especially people that facilitate the process with certain habits ~simple physics/logic) Youre not immortal.
tpols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:39 AM   #18
UK2K
NBA Legend

Quote:
shouldnt have written if... "when" is more appropriate. Everybody eventually gets sick UK. (especially people that facilitate the process with certain habits ~simple physics/logic) Youre not immortal.

No, I am not.

But my grandmother is 89 years old and hasn't been to a hospital in... ever. My family simply doesn't go to the hospital except for emergencies. Unfortunately, we are in the minority in this country, in that regard.

Not everyone gets some debilitating disease that requires a decade of hospitalization.

You're assuming everyone that dies spends a year in the hospital before they do, and that's simply not the case.

Not to mention, by that point, I will have had 60 years of saving. And if I don't use all the money, guess what? It's still mine, and I can pass it on to my family if I wish.

Why people are so determined to hand their money to the government is just baffling to me. If you want to donate your disposable income to a charity, do so, but don't force me to do so just because you are. That's dumb.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:43 AM   #19
tpols
we already won

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK2K
No, I am not.

But my grandmother is 89 years old and hasn't been to a hospital in... ever.

Not everyone gets some debilitating disease that requires a decade of hospitalization.

You're assuming everyone that dies spends a year in the hospital before they do, and that's simply not the case.

shes an extreme rare anomaly... 99% of people especially in todays age do. and eventually even she will be in a nursing home that costs 10k a month to render services (bare minimum rent)
Your grandma came up in a more natural time.. probably lived ruraly and ate all types of natural grown stuff ... had to do way more manual physical work to sustain (good exercise) than todays people.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:54 AM   #20
UK2K
NBA Legend

Quote:
shes an extreme rare anomaly... 99% of people especially in todays age do. and eventually even she will be in a nursing home that costs 10k a month to render services (bare minimum rent)
Your grandma came up in a more natural time.. probably lived ruraly and ate all types of natural grown stuff ... had to do way more manual physical work to sustain (good exercise) than todays people.

Today's people should worry about their own shit.

I know, its starting to sound like a recording, but I just can't believe people think that giving MORE money to a government rife with corruption and a long, long history of financial waste, would be a good thing.

It's just really got me confused.

Here we are debating what to do about SS, and the fact that our government literally lied straight to everyone's face about the money in that account, and how now the whole system is going to collapse and everyone who has already paid in to social security is going to LITERALLY HAVE HAD THEIR MONEY STOLEN FROM THEM BECAUSE THE GOVERNMENT TOOK THAT MONEY AND NEVER PAID IT BACK...

And then there's people like you suggesting we should all pitch in and let the government determine our healthcare costs?

What the **** is wrong with you? Like, really. You know the definition of insanity, right? Why cant you just start a go-fund-me for people without health insurance, and find like minded people to pitch in. Shouldn't be too hard, right? Since there seems to be a large segment of our population completely fine with allowing politicians to run our lives.

Let me know how it goes.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:15 AM   #21
Nanners
hugh mungus what?

single-payer is inevitable. our current healthcare system is not sustainable long term and will reach its breaking point sooner or later.

virtually every single developed nation on the planet uses some form of single payer, and every single one of them has lower medical costs than we do. the govt of france pays less per capita for their entire full universal healthcare system than we pay for just the medicare+medicaid programs alone.

Last edited by Nanners : 09-19-2017 at 11:19 AM.
Nanners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 11:25 AM   #22
tpols
we already won

Quote:
And then there's people like you suggesting we should all pitch in and let the government determine our healthcare costs?

Nope...you still dont understand. The government wouldnt be setting any prices or "determining" healthcare costs. The market forces already do that. What they would be doing is negotiating the prices...logically... with pharma and insurance companies. Just as medicare already does with the older population. (and they negotiate procedures and prices waaaay down compared to regular insurance companies who pin their profit margins to costs, meaning the higher the better)

Just as other countries do with much better healthcare systems and outcomes than our own (by every major study), the transition will eventually be made. Hell even trump endorsed it when he went to Austrailia, and pre election. Whether you like it or not, thats where were pushing.

Cant believe your idea for a healthcare fix is gofundme...
you should not be allowed to vote on ANYthing.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:32 AM   #23
ThePhantomCreep
College star

Quote:
If, maybe. Perhaps. By chance...

If I cross the street, I may get hit by a bus.

But I'll take my chances and IF that day comes, I'll deal with it then. The last thing I, personally, would do is expect YOU to pay for my healthcare.

I know, crazy, right? Paying for your own shit.

Five nights at the hospital = $10,000

Multiply that by the number of weeks you'll be there recovering from your multiple surgeries, and you're looking at a six figure bill just for staying at the hospital.

You have hundreds of thousands of dollars laying around somewhere? If the answer is no, we'll most definitely be paying for your shit.
ThePhantomCreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 11:39 AM   #24
UK2K
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantomCreep

Multiply that by the number of weeks you'll be there recovering from your multiple surgeries, and you're looking at a six figure bill just for staying at the hospital.

You have hundreds of thousands of dollars laying around somewhere? If the answer is no, we'll most definitely be paying for your shit.

So assuming the worst of the worst... like end of the world type scenario shit, and maybe then I wouldn't be able to pay for it?

There's 500,000 heart bypasses each year. You are trying to suggest that if I am one of the .0014% of people in this country who needs a heart bypass, I may not be able to pay for it?

What about if I am one of the vast majority of people that don't ever have to have some intense surgery?

What's the cost on that?

For every 'but you could have' you throw out there, there's 100's of 'I don't and never will have'.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:46 AM   #25
UK2K
NBA Legend

Quote:
Nope...you still dont understand. The government wouldnt be setting any prices or "determining" healthcare costs. The market forces already do that. What they would be doing is negotiating the prices...logically... with pharma and insurance companies. Just as medicare already does with the older population. (and they negotiate procedures and prices waaaay down compared to regular insurance companies who pin their profit margins to costs, meaning the higher the better)

Just as other countries do with much better healthcare systems and outcomes than our own (by every major study), the transition will eventually be made. Hell even trump endorsed it when he went to Austrailia, and pre election. Whether you like it or not, thats where were pushing.

Cant believe your idea for a healthcare fix is gofundme...
you should not be allowed to vote on ANYthing.

I know, holding people responsible for their own poor decision making is so archaic.

There's a reason those 'other countries' have practically no medical innovation, and months' long wait for the sniffles.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-cou...or-health-care

There's a reason people who can afford healthcare come here to get it.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:02 PM   #26
eliteballer
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
No, I am not.

But my grandmother is 89 years old and hasn't been to a hospital in... ever. My family simply doesn't go to the hospital except for emergencies. Unfortunately, we are in the minority in this country, in that regard.

Not to mention, by that point, I will have had 60 years of saving. And if I don't use all the money, guess what? It's still mine, and I can pass it on to my family if I wish.

Why people are so determined to hand their money to the government is just baffling to me. If you want to donate your disposable income to a charity, do so, but don't force me to do so just because you are. That's dumb.

LOL, this is the biggest load ever.

Eventually you or someone you hold dear(a family member, girlfriend, friend, whoever) WILL need some kind of serious medical care for something, anything...and when you see them in a hospital bed worrying about whether their insurance will cover/pay for it, you'll change your tune.

Last edited by eliteballer : 09-19-2017 at 01:07 PM.
eliteballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 01:13 PM   #27
aj1987
MH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantomCreep

My dad was in the hospital in April for 2 days and another 2 days before passing away 6 weeks ago. The total medical costs came to ~$200,000. They charged ~$20,000 for hospital stay.
aj1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 01:18 PM   #28
NumberSix
Big Booty Hoes!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj1987
My dad was in the hospital in April for 2 days and another 2 days before passing away 6 weeks ago. The total medical costs came to ~$200,000. They charged ~$20,000 for hospital stay.
The reason for that is they have to make up the costs of all the people who use the hospitals and never pay. Lots of illegals show up with fake documents, use the services and then disappear.
NumberSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 01:27 PM   #29
UK2K
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliteballer
LOL, this is the biggest load ever.

Eventually you or someone you hold dear(a family member, girlfriend, friend, whoever) WILL need some kind of serious medical care for something, anything...and when you see them in a hospital bed worrying about whether their insurance will cover/pay for it, you'll change your tune.

Sure, eventually...

Now, imagine if she had been putting money in a HSA over the last 60 years. How much do you think would be in there right now?
Old 09-19-2017, 01:29 PM   #30
eliteballer
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Sure, eventually...

Now, imagine if she had been putting money in a HSA over the last 60 years. How much do you think would be in there right now?

Just a guess is fine.

Don't assume anyone will make it to 60 years of payments before they need care. There's too many things that can go wrong with the body.

Diseases, cancers are a funny thing.

You just sound like someone young who hasn't really seen what can pop up in life unexpectedly.
eliteballer is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: