Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2017, 02:43 PM   #31
tpols
we already won
 
tpols's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 19,689
Default Re: Single-Payer Healthcare

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberSix
The reason for that is they have to make up the costs of all the people who use the hospitals and never pay. Lots of illegals show up with fake documents, use the services and then disappear.


That is not the "reason". Stop lying and fearmongering. Their are a whole host of "reasons" that make up the cost structure of US healthcare. US pharmacuetical sand insurance companies are some of the richest companies in the entire world... and the monopoly prices they charge are the biggest reason for our current cost structure. There are also a ton of americans that only purchase health insurance when they have an issue come up. Dont bullshit people saying its all because illegals in ERs for why our costs are higher than everybody elses. They wouldnt turn you away at a German ER either, and they have a ton of migrants....but their costs are way lower. That is a fraction of the problem.
tpols is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 02:53 PM   #32
UK2K
NBA Legend
 
UK2K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 17,535
Default Re: Single-Payer Healthcare

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpols
That is not the "reason". Stop lying and fearmongering. Their are a whole host of "reasons" that make up the cost structure of US healthcare. US pharmacuetical sand insurance companies are some of the richest companies in the entire world... and the monopoly prices they charge are the biggest reason for our current cost structure. There are also a ton of americans that only purchase health insurance when they have an issue come up. Dont bullshit people saying its all because illegals in ERs for why our costs are higher than everybody elses. They wouldnt turn you away at a German ER either, and they have a ton of migrants....but their costs are way lower. That is a fraction of the problem.

Its not a 'problem' for me though.

I mean, long story short, I just want people to be responsible for themselves and not the government (yes, the same government who stole money from people with no intention of paying it back).

Yeah, I mean, maybe if you give them more money, they may behave better, but I doubt it. I've seen zero evidence that government is looking out for your well being, but you assume if we all throw money at them all of a sudden, they'll manage it better then they have SS or any other government funded program that is on the verge of collapse.

Again, not sure what the infatuation is with government controlling your life. You seem to think so many people want socialized healthcare, I suggested you start a big group that all pays for one another, but thats not good enough.

You want the government to MANDATE that I pay for it too, just because you want to. That's the issue.
UK2K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 02:54 PM   #33
UK2K
NBA Legend
 
UK2K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 17,535
Default Re: Single-Payer Healthcare

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliteballer
Don't assume anyone will make it to 60 years of payments before they need care. There's too many things that can go wrong with the body.

Diseases, cancers are a funny thing.

You just sound like someone young who hasn't really seen what can pop up in life unexpectedly.

Ex-Step mothers husband has about two years to live (they told him 1-3). All of his organs are shutting down, and there's absolutely nothing that can be done. I see them probably once a month-ish, and I'm in his will.

Tell me more about how I don't see what life can throw at you.
UK2K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 05:11 PM   #34
eliteballer
Very good NBA starter
 
eliteballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 8,184
Default Re: Single-Payer Healthcare

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK2K
Ex-Step mothers husband has about two years to live (they told him 1-3). All of his organs are shutting down, and there's absolutely nothing that can be done. I see them probably once a month-ish, and I'm in his will.

Tell me more about how I don't see what life can throw at you.
Lol, you spent this entire thread telling us how no one close to you has any serious medical maladies and then out pops this little gem at a convenient time. So now you admit serious unexpected medical issues can "apparently" arise for people close to you(who also need hospice care im assuming) yet still don't believe in a collective health insurance blanket which would reduce those costs for them, defying any normal logic or compassion.
eliteballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 05:13 PM   #35
sammichoffate
Land o' Lakes
 
sammichoffate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Slowpoke Well
Posts: 5,366
Default Re: Single-Payer Healthcare

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliteballer
Lol, you spent this entire thread telling us how no one close to you has any serious medical maladies and then out pops this little gem at a convenient time. So now you admit serious unexpected medical issues can "apparently" arise for people close to you(who also need hospice care im assuming) yet still don't believe in a collective health insurance blanket which would reduce those costs for them, defying any normal logic or compassion.
Mccain got cancer and voted against the healthcare bill, he spent years against the idea till it hit him in the ****ing mouth.
sammichoffate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 05:28 PM   #36
UK2K
NBA Legend
 
UK2K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 17,535
Default Re: Single-Payer Healthcare

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliteballer
Lol, you spent this entire thread telling us how no one close to you has any serious medical maladies and then out pops this little gem at a convenient time. So now you admit serious unexpected medical issues can "apparently" arise for people close to you(who also need hospice care im assuming) yet still don't believe in a collective health insurance blanket which would reduce those costs for them, defying any normal logic or compassion.

No, I said I, nor my grandmother, have been to a hospital in decades. You assumed.

You are also instantiating that I said medical emergencies never pop up. That is also a lie.

Other than that, yes, he will die. There's nothing that can be done. People die all the time. Thousands die everyday. He's not in hospice, but will be soon enough.

That said, I wouldn't expect YOU to help pay for that, because it doesn't concern you. Not sure whats hard to understand about that.

Also, not sure why you think giving the government more money will suddenly cause our government to be more fiscally sound, given their piss poor track record over the last, I don't know, 200+ years.

You think this time it'll be different though, huh? Lol I bet it will.

"Yeah, eliteballer, you just pay us this much every month, and we promise we won't take that money and blow it on shit that in no way is related to the purpose of you handing this money over."

And you'd believe them? Funny.
UK2K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 05:33 PM   #37
ThePhantomCreep
College star
 
ThePhantomCreep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 3,958
Default Re: Single-Payer Healthcare

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammichoffate
Mccain got cancer and voted against the healthcare bill, he spent years against the idea till it hit him in the ****ing mouth.

Conservatives love pure dog-eat-dog capitalism... until disaster strikes. Then they all magically turn into socialists.
ThePhantomCreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 05:40 PM   #38
UK2K
NBA Legend
 
UK2K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 17,535
Default Re: Single-Payer Healthcare

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantomCreep
Conservatives love pure dog-eat-dog capitalism... until disaster strikes. Then they all magically turn into socialists.

But he didn't...

Quote:
On Monday, McCain let the world know he'd be willing to support the latest attempt to kill Obamacare despite the fact it's being rushed through with only one hearing scheduled and apparently no attempt to work out a compromise with Democrats.

"I'm comfortable with the bill as long as the governor of Arizona has signed off on it," he told a reporter for MSNBC.

So you're just lying, again.
UK2K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 06:31 PM   #39
eliteballer
Very good NBA starter
 
eliteballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 8,184
Default Re: Single-Payer Healthcare

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK2K
No, I said I, nor my grandmother, have been to a hospital in decades. You assumed.

You are also instantiating that I said medical emergencies never pop up. That is also a lie.

Other than that, yes, he will die. There's nothing that can be done. People die all the time. Thousands die everyday. He's not in hospice, but will be soon enough.

That said, I wouldn't expect YOU to help pay for that, because it doesn't concern you. Not sure whats hard to understand about that.

Also, not sure why you think giving the government more money will suddenly cause our government to be more fiscally sound, given their piss poor track record over the last, I don't know, 200+ years.

You think this time it'll be different though, huh? Lol I bet it will.

"Yeah, eliteballer, you just pay us this much every month, and we promise we won't take that money and blow it on shit that in no way is related to the purpose of you handing this money over."

And you'd believe them? Funny.

Lol, so now you've unwittingly admitted that you don't care if anyone close to you suffers catastrophic medical expenses, so long as you're healthy, willing, and able to enough to cover your own behind.

On top of that you're jumping into hypotheticals of government mismanagement to draw way from your ineptitude in the matters previously discussed, when that mismanagement would have to be orders of magnitude far beyond anything we've seen to come even close to matching or exceeding the waste, fraud, cost, and inefficiency in the current system.

You're just a kid who has no conception of the real world.

You're done.
eliteballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 08:58 PM   #40
qrich
King Heno
 
qrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tucson/520!
Posts: 22,040
Default Re: Single-Payer Healthcare

Ah yes, I can't wait to wait 3 months for a MRI.
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:14 PM   #41
Hawker
Repeal FATCA
 
Hawker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 18,122
Default Re: Single-Payer Healthcare

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpols
Single payer didnt work in vermont because the same US cost structure exists. You HAVE to cut the pharma prices down and take out middle men if you want overall cost of any system to be reasonable. People know the current cost under the "free market" system is completely out of control. It will be out of control in ANY system going forward that does not bring down insurance company profits (or elminate them altogether) and cut pharma prices. The rest of the world does not pay what we do for the same exact medications and procedures...and its not even close.

Glad you finally came around to the fact that what you thought was a free market actually isnt and thus put it in quotation marks. You're slowly learning.

You're ignorant to the fact that those high prices actually subsidize medical innovation and research that the rest of the world gets a free ride from. The USA leads the world in medical innovation and product implementation. These are factors that are absent from healthcare arguments and they shouldn't be.
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:22 PM   #42
Hawker
Repeal FATCA
 
Hawker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 18,122
Default Re: Single-Payer Healthcare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners
single-payer is inevitable. our current healthcare system is not sustainable long term and will reach its breaking point sooner or later.

virtually every single developed nation on the planet uses some form of single payer, and every single one of them has lower medical costs than we do. the govt of france pays less per capita for their entire full universal healthcare system than we pay for just the medicare+medicaid programs alone.

How will single-payer be paid for if you claim it's more sustainable? It's not even sustainable at state levels. Can you prove that the high spending isn't there to encourage more medical innovation and research and that it won't change with a single payer health system?
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:25 PM   #43
NumberSix
Big Booty Hoes!!
 
NumberSix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Internets
Posts: 26,759
Default Re: Single-Payer Healthcare

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantomCreep
Conservatives love pure dog-eat-dog capitalism... until disaster strikes. Then they all magically turn into socialists.
John McCain and his wife have a fortune of $120 million. This guy isn't worried about healthcare costs. As a senator, his health care costs are also covered by the government.
NumberSix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:38 PM   #44
bladefd
NBA lottery pick
 
bladefd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 5,074
Default Re: Single-Payer Healthcare

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantomCreep


Five nights at the hospital = $10,000

Multiply that by the number of weeks you'll be there recovering from your multiple surgeries, and you're looking at a six figure bill just for staying at the hospital.

You have hundreds of thousands of dollars laying around somewhere? If the answer is no, we'll most definitely be paying for your shit.

I was in hospital for 5 days for broken hip bone in 2013, got a bill for 45k...

My insurance tried to weasel their way out by claiming I have another insurance from college, which I had canceled 2yrs before (and my current insurance knew already). After sending bunch of paperwork in, current insurance finally paid their 80%, so I still got like 9k bill.. I was in college then and didn't have 9k sitting around... I was on my dad's insurance back then so he was shelling out $1,000 every month for premium already. Still had like 2k deducible which he paid off from his pocket before insurance's 80% kicked in.. I was forced to apply for charity after bills started going to collection agency bc I didn't pay all at once.

My credit is good now, but only because charity helped pay off bills. Until they deal with insane medical bills first hand, people will have zero idea. That includes idiots like UK2K.

Last edited by bladefd : 09-19-2017 at 09:49 PM.
bladefd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:03 PM   #45
eliteballer
Very good NBA starter
 
eliteballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 8,184
Default Re: Single-Payer Healthcare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker
Glad you finally came around to the fact that what you thought was a free market actually isnt and thus put it in quotation marks. You're slowly learning.

You're ignorant to the fact that those high prices actually subsidize medical innovation and research that the rest of the world gets a free ride from. The USA leads the world in medical innovation and product implementation. These are factors that are absent from healthcare arguments and they shouldn't be.

Quote:
how will single-payer be paid for if you claim it's more sustainable? It's not even sustainable at state levels. Can you prove that the high spending isn't there to encourage more medical innovation and research and that it won't change with a single payer health system?



Lol, your argument is so absurd I don't even know where to begin.

Single-Payer is used in MANY industrialized countries already and study after study has shown they get MUCH more bang for their buck.

As to your other point, you know another area the US leads the world in?

Defense spending and research.

You know who pays for that? Taxpayers who fund both the government AND joint public/private research from contractors like Boeing/Raytheon/Lockheed Martin who do tons of business with the government.

You think the F-35 and Nimitz class carriers were just developed through private funding and research?

The US would still spend trillions on healthcare and lead the world in healthcare spending, and the medical industry/UNIVERSITIES(where TONS of this research takes place irrespective of the economic implications) would STILL be continuing to plow funds into research.

We'd just be getting a lot more bang for our buck like all those other countries do.
eliteballer is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:11 PM.




NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
Search Site

FOLLOW US
Twitter
Facebook


















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy