Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-20-2017, 11:19 AM   #76
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Default Re: Hurricane Maria is now a Cat 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~primetime~
It should just be common sense that warmer weather would have an effect on storms...I mean Jesus Christ guys

Would you argue that cooler weather not have an effect on snow fall? So why is it so hard to buy that warmer weather could have an effect on rainfall?

Because the implication is that Republican policies are the cause. The Left has been increasingly using weather data to chastise the right and promote themselves as the only people who care about the Earth. It's as if the warming trend has only occurred during Republican administrations.

The fact is there are hurricanes every year. Some have been very intense, many more less so. Lather, rinse, repeat.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 11:22 AM   #77
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
There were far less people living in these coastline cities too, so any damage done was quite minimal.

The fact that 400 people died during the 1935 storm in a very sparsely populated area shows just how strong that storm was.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:23 AM   #78
warriorfan
The Bully

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
Storm surge of 24 ft. It killed 259 people. The 1935 Labor Day storm killed 400+ and destroyed the Florida Keys. Irma was a cupcake in comparison.
Quote:
The fact that 400 people died during the 1935 storm in a very sparsely populated area shows just how strong that storm was.

Yeah, it's not like the lower quality of 1935 infrastructure and medical care has anything to do with that...

warriorfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 11:26 AM   #79
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

Quote:
Because the implication is that Republican policies are the cause. The Left has been increasingly using weather data to chastise the right and promote themselves as the only people who care about the Earth. It's as if the warming trend has only occurred during Republican administrations.

The fact is there are hurricanes every year. Some have been very intense, many more less so. Lather, rinse, repeat.
So why don't you argue that humans/policies aren't causing it rather than pretending it doesn't exist or that past data is bad or all scientists are wrong ?
~primetime~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 11:26 AM   #80
tpols
we already won

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorfan
Yeah, it's not like the lower quality of 1935 infrastructure and medical care has anything to do with that...

Not to mention the first industrial revolution happened way before that... these guys act like 1935 were some all organic natural ancient times lol
tpols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 11:31 AM   #81
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorfan

Contributing factors for sure, as were the inaccuracies of weather forecasting back then. I'll tell you this though, I rode out a cat 3 hurricane in Florida when i was a kid in my grandmother's house that was built in 1920. It held up just fine. When Andrew hit in 1992 the houses that weathered the storm the best were the older ones built in the 20s and 30s. New does not always equal better. You're also belittling the intensity of this storm.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:34 AM   #82
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpols
Not to mention the first industrial revolution happened way before that... these guys act like 1935 were some all organic natural ancient times lol

So now Republicans are responsible for the Industrial Revolution? Yeah, that evil thing that happened that brought things like medicine and sanitation to the civilized world.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:35 AM   #83
BigNBAfan
Great college starter

So primetime is continuing to correlate hurricane and their category to global warming despite any quantitative data showing either correlation or causation.

Reminds me of a 10 year old grasping for straws
BigNBAfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 11:42 AM   #84
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNBAfan
So primetime is continuing to correlate hurricane and their category to global warming despite any quantitative data showing either correlation or causation.

Good lord...NASA agrees with me on this along with damn near every scientist on earth. It's you that's grasping like a child.

The data shows storms are gradually increasing in strength...along with a gradual increase in temp. Temp plays a large part in weather.

What you are doing to dispute it is "the data is bad" which doesn't even disprove anything at all.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:44 AM   #85
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNBAfan

Primetime's MO is to keep stating his position over and over until you're so tired of it you quit responding.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:44 AM   #86
BigNBAfan
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~primetime~
Good lord...NASA agrees with me on this along with damn near every scientist on earth. It's you that's grasping like a child.

The data shows storms are gradually increasing in strength...along with a gradual increase in temp. Temp plays a large part in weather.

What you are doing to dispute it is "the data is bad" which doesn't even disprove anything at all.

Show me CAUSATION not correlation between temperature/global warming vs hurricane strength the last 40-50 years. The summary should at minimum show correlation. Dont show me some stupid graph where only you can see some bullshit correlation (without a R-coefficient) that isn't there.

You wont be able to find one.

And Rufus, i totally agree... done with this thread until he can at least learn elementary statistics so he can make quantitatively-supported statements to back up his what are current, just mere opinion(s).
BigNBAfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 11:47 AM   #87
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

Okay...so to be clear you AGREE there is correlation correct?

Now it's just a matter of you understanding that warmer tropical weather strengthens storms?
Old 09-20-2017, 12:22 PM   #88
warriorfan
The Bully

Quote:
Contributing factors for sure, as were the inaccuracies of weather forecasting back then. I'll tell you this though, I rode out a cat 3 hurricane in Florida when i was a kid in my grandmother's house that was built in 1920. It held up just fine. When Andrew hit in 1992 the houses that weathered the storm the best were the older ones built in the 20s and 30s. New does not always equal better. You're also belittling the intensity of this storm.

You are right. They don't make em like they used to is a pretty true saying. Still, I am trying to point out that casualty totals for disasters that happened nearly 100 years ago are going to naturally be higher for a multitude of reasons. (You might have to adjust numbers for change in population density, I still believe the totals will be inflated for the disasters that happened years and years ago however)

On the subject in whole I am pretty neutral. I am not totally sold that there is enough evidence to directly correlate global warming with these hurricanes.

Last edited by warriorfan : 09-20-2017 at 12:26 PM.
warriorfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 03:36 PM   #89
KyrieTheFuture
NBA sixth man of the year

I don't care nearly as much about carbon emissions as I do about dumping shit into the land and water and general destruction of the natural environment. Republican environmental policy is a disaster for reasons entirely independent of global warming.
KyrieTheFuture is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: