Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-21-2017, 11:27 AM   #1
nathanjizzle
Trumptard Persecutor

Default Pittsburgh police smashes mans head into the pavement

http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/video...p09ecnWoymePog
nathanjizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:38 AM   #2
highwhey
I DREW THE D1CKS

Default Re: Pittsburgh police smashes mans head into the pavement

when you resist, you open yourself to be killed basically. its not right, especially bc cops are trained to properly subdue criminals, for example, placing his kneed to his head would be a better option but police have emotions too so they are covered for it.
highwhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:48 AM   #3
UK2K
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwhey
when you resist, you open yourself to be killed basically. its not right, especially bc cops are trained to properly subdue criminals, for example, placing his kneed to his head would be a better option but police have emotions too so they are covered for it.

You can only do that to a suspect who is fully on the ground.

Trying to do that on someone who is on their hands and knees will get you tossed.

Video looks bad, but I don't know what happened before this all took place. If the story of the officers is to be believed, its entirely possible that the guy being slammed was simply being a good Samaritan, and the initial officers (who were in plain clothes) probably assumed he knew the guy with the warrant. A series of unfortunate events, perhaps.

Quote:
Adelman says he got involved in the altercation because he thought the police officer attempting to arrest Jones was in trouble.

“I was smoking a cigarette, and I see an officer with a suit on, and then I see this other guy and I thought the officer in the suit was in trouble,” Adelman said. “So I went down there and, you know, and then all hell broke loose.”

Which is fine. But then...

Quote:
“I do know the officer got me on the ground and was punching me straight in the face real good,” he said. “I think I remember grabbing his hand and told him, ‘Listen. No more hitting,’ basically.”

Wrong answer.

In accordance with the law, most departments allow officers to strike people in an attempt to get them to comply, and obviously, the guy wasn't complying. If he was, he would have just laid down from the very beginning.

Generally, what happens is people like this are confused about their arrest, or disagree with it, and when hands get put on them, they tend to tense up and/or fight back because they don't agree with why they're being detained in the first place. Perfectly understandable.

But if you don't agree with the circumstances surrounding your detainment, trying to prevent officers from arresting you is only going to make it worse. Take the cuffs, and then discuss it later. Just because you're handcuffed doesn't mean you're under arrest.
UK2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:52 AM   #4
nathanjizzle
Trumptard Persecutor

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwhey

smashing the guys head into the pavement is a no no. thats why the other officers stopped him when they saw him doing it.
nathanjizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:11 PM   #5
SunsN07BookIt
Good High School Starter

Yeah the guy was drunk and thought the uniformed police officer needed assistance and didn't know the guys in plain clothes were officers too.
SunsN07BookIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 01:25 PM   #6
aj1987
MH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK2K
Wrong answer.

In accordance with the law, most departments allow officers to strike people in an attempt to get them to comply, and obviously, the guy wasn't complying. If he was, he would have just laid down from the very beginning.
Does the law allow officers to keep punching repeatedly and also slamming heads into the ground?

There were 5 officers and the response was beyond excessive. The officer needs to be fired and charged with felony assault.
aj1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 01:51 PM   #7
UK2K
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj1987
Does the law allow officers to keep punching repeatedly and also slamming heads into the ground?

There were 5 officers and the response was beyond excessive. The officer needs to be fired and charged with felony assault.

As long as the suspect refuses to comply, generally.

At no point in the video, until the very end, did the suspect lay down and place his hands behind his back, like he was (pretty likely) told to do.

That's the thing... Most people, especially people who think they have been wrongly detained, refuse to do so. Its natural.

The next step in the escalation of force is a taser, which was then deployed after the suspect still refused to lay down and place his hands behind his back. At that point, the suspect did do what he was told, and the violence stopped.

Doesn't matter if there are 100 officers there.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:49 PM   #8
aj1987
MH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK2K
As long as the suspect refuses to comply, generally.

At no point in the video, until the very end, did the suspect lay down and place his hands behind his back, like he was (pretty likely) told to do.

That's the thing... Most people, especially people who think they have been wrongly detained, refuse to do so. Its natural.

The next step in the escalation of force is a taser, which was then deployed after the suspect still refused to lay down and place his hands behind his back. At that point, the suspect did do what he was told, and the violence stopped.

Doesn't matter if there are 100 officers there.
Why couldn't they taser his first? Better than giving him multiple lacerations and fractures.
aj1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 02:54 PM   #9
UK2K
NBA Legend

Quote:
Why couldn't they taser his first? Better than giving him multiple lacerations and fractures.

Was he behaving in a way that warranted tasing before the video started rolling?

Maybe, maybe not. Maybe 5 seconds before the video started recording, the suspect and the officer initially engaged and he didn't have time to pull it out (that's what she said).

But you'll notice one of the officers not involved in the scuffle was the one to tase him. If you can tase someone while trying to force them to place their hands behind their back at the same time, then you should go teach techniques to the departments because as far as I know, they haven't come up with a way to do such a thing yet.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:56 PM   #10
highwhey
I DREW THE D1CKS

Quote:
because most police officers have an iq of 100 or below and you can't expect them to use common sense or do their job at a high standard. low quality people=low quality results

their superiors know this so they have very vague rules like using "necessary force" to "subdue"

translation, our officers will step out of line and bring their emotions into situations, so we must cover their asses by giving them a lot of leeway
highwhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 02:57 PM   #11
SunsN07BookIt
Good High School Starter

Quote:

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Whenever the police taze someone on video versus physically restraining them or for instance pulling them out of their car, people always cry, "why did they need to use the tazer! They could have easily subdued them!"
Old 09-21-2017, 03:12 PM   #12
PistonsFan#21
NBA lottery pick

How the f*ck are you supposed to place your hands behind your back when you are repeatedly getting punched in the face and getting your face smashed into the ground with a guy sitting on top of you?

your survival instinct will for sure take over and you will try to cover up your face or try to stop the attack no matter what. I swear there is people on this site who believe that cops can do no wrong and that excessive force doesnt exist. There is no doubt other ways to subdue a guy when he isnt a threat anymore and you outnumber him 5 to 1. This is pretty much a murder attempt
PistonsFan#21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 03:18 PM   #13
HylianNightmare
The Magic are a trash

Soon we won't have laws and we will all get the chance to do this
HylianNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 03:28 PM   #14
PistonsFan#21
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsN07BookIt
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Whenever the police taze someone on video versus physically restraining them or for instance pulling them out of their car, people always cry, "why did they need to use the tazer! They could have easily subdued them!"

There is a difference between physically restraining and a murder attempt. What we saw in this video was the latter. You would probably justify the cop putting a bullet in the back of his head for not complying too
PistonsFan#21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 03:42 PM   #15
SunsN07BookIt
Good High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistonsFan#21
There is a difference between physically restraining and a murder attempt. What we saw in this video was the latter. You would probably justify the cop putting a bullet in the back of his head for not complying too

Don't get your panties all twisted, I don't think anyone here is justifying the cop's actions. Especially considering it looks like the dumb, drunk guy was actually trying to help the cops. I just find it funny that people say cops should have subdued rather than tazer when they use it, but also say they should use the tazer when they choose to physically subdue someone.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: