Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-23-2017, 03:48 PM   #1
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

Default Trump vs athletes on Twitter

I realize there is a thread in the main forum about this...but the OTC needs one

Trump with another Twitter storm today...IMO these latest tweets really show how ignorant Trump is. Part of what makes the US so great is that we have the ability to protest...and Trump is showing he is ignorant to that fact.

I am not a fan at all of the National Anthem protests...I roll my eyes when I see it, but what they are doing is a part of the fabric of this country.
~primetime~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 05:47 PM   #2
NumberSix
Big Booty Hoes!!

Default Re: Trump vs athletes on Twitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~primetime~
I realize there is a thread in the main forum about this...but the OTC needs one

Trump with another Twitter storm today...IMO these latest tweets really show how ignorant Trump is. Part of what makes the US so great is that we have the ability to protest...and Trump is showing he is ignorant to that fact.
When you call people ignorant, you should really make sure that you're not wrong.

1. You DON'T have a "right" to protest while you're at work. These guys aren't playing for fun at their local field. This is a business. They're at work. Team owners can obviously tell players they're not allowed to protest at work.

These guys aren't even allowed to pick what color socks they wear. You obviously can't do or say whatever you want at work. You can do or say what your boss permits.

2. People are allowed to voice an opinion about your protest.
NumberSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 05:50 PM   #3
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

This is the President of the United States, ladies and gentlemen.

Unbelievable.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 05:52 PM   #4
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

@NumberSix

1. NFL players are absolutely allowed to protest the National Anthem...Goodell and various NFL owners have recently lashed out at Trump.

2. Trump isn't just 'voicing an opinion'...he cancelled a White House meeting. He's ALLOWED to do that though I guess...he's allowed to do all sorts to dumb shit, that doesn't mean much here.
Old 09-23-2017, 05:54 PM   #5
Bourne
Valancais for RoY

Quote:
@NumberSix

1. NFL players are absolutely allowed to protest the National Anthem...Goodell and various NFL owners have recently lashed out at Trump.

2. Trump isn't just 'voicing an opinion'...he cancelled a White House meeting. He's ALLOWED to do that though I guess...he's allowed to do all sorts to dumb shit, that doesn't mean much here.

I think you troll on purpose - Six's argument is that players are essentially employees and must behave like employees is countered by you pointing to the owners' behaviour.... i cant even
Bourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 05:56 PM   #6
NumberSix
Big Booty Hoes!!

Quote:
@NumberSix

1. NFL players are absolutely allowed to protest...Goodell and various NFL owners have recently lashed out at Trump.
Reading is your friend.

I specifically said they don't have a "right" to protest. They can if their boss permits it.

Quote:
That's NBA, not NFL.

If I'm bing honest, that was just a face saving move. GSW weren't going to visit the WH anyway.
Old 09-23-2017, 05:57 PM   #7
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne
I think you troll on purpose - Six's argument is that players are essentially employees and must behave like employees is countered by you pointing to the owners' behaviour.... i cant even
Their employers and the GM of the actual NFL allow it...like I just said, and they are lashing out at Trump's tweets.
Old 09-23-2017, 05:59 PM   #8
Nanners
hugh mungus what?

I dont understand why we play the national anthem before pro sports games in the first place? You dont hear them playing god save the queen before premiere league games.

Anyway I look forward to seeing how the players react to this tomorrow
Nanners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 06:00 PM   #9
NumberSix
Big Booty Hoes!!

Quote:
Their employers and the GM of the actual NFL allow it...like I just said, and they are lashing out at Trump's tweets.
And Jerry Jones said Cowboys will stand for the anthem or their ass will be off the team.

Again, the owners decide. Which is what Trump said. It's up to the owners what the players do. You claimed Trump was ignorant about the ability to protest. He's not. You're wrong here.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:02 PM   #10
NumberSix
Big Booty Hoes!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
This is the President of the United States, ladies and gentlemen.

Unbelievable.
Yeah, it's almost as bad as when Obama criticized the Oscars for not nominating enough black people and said the Oscars aren't giving black actors "a fair shot".

Presidents SHOULD stay out of this kind of stuff altogether, but none of them ever so.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:03 PM   #11
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberSix
And Jerry Jones said Cowboys will stand for the anthem or their ass will be off the team.

Again, the owners decide. Which is what Trump said. It's up to the owners what the players do. You claimed Trump was ignorant about the ability to protest. He's not. You're wrong here.
Trump didn't say anything about it being up to the owners...

He said -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump
If a player wants the privilege of making millions of dollars in the NFL,or other leagues, he or she should not be allowed to disrespect our Great American Flag (or Country) and should stand for the National Anthem. If not, YOU'RE FIRED. Find something else to do!

He's essentially saying they shouldn't be allowed to protest the NA
Old 09-23-2017, 06:04 PM   #12
Lord P
Made that high school varsity squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners
I dont understand why we play the national anthem before pro sports games in the first place? You dont hear them playing god save the queen before premiere league games.

Anyway I look forward to seeing how the players react to this tomorrow
Because of indoctri... err patriotism. Gotta show that we love our country at every possible opportunity.
Lord P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 06:05 PM   #13
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberSix
Yeah, it's almost as bad as when Obama criticized the Oscars for not nominating enough black people and said the Oscars aren't giving black actors "a fair shot".

Presidents SHOULD stay out of this kind of stuff altogether, but none of them ever so.

here we go...Trump did things so please tell us more about Obama and Hillary!

/popcorn.gif
Old 09-23-2017, 06:12 PM   #14
NumberSix
Big Booty Hoes!!

Quote:
here we go...Trump did things so please tell us more about Obama and Hillary!

/popcorn.gif
The point is, NOBODY actually cares about shit like this. They only care when it's the other side, not because they actually care, but because people just like to be like "OMG, this is outrageous" when it's someone that they don't like.

Keep it real, if Obama did this you'd love it. If some athlete talked shit about Obama and then Obama withdrew his WH invite, you'd be like "what do you expect? You talk shit, you're not going to the WH bitch!" And in all honesty, I'd probably be against Obama for dis-inviting.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:15 PM   #15
Nanners
hugh mungus what?

So much stupid in this thread

The NFL does not have a typical employer/employee relationship. The things that a NFL player can/cannot do are specified in their contract. In the NFL an owner cant just "fire" a player, they can cut a player but they still owe them any remaining guaranteed money on their contract (and other teams can then sign that player).

So unless the cowboys contracts state that they arent allowed to protest the anthem, Jerry would still be on the hook for any guaranteed money remaining on the contracts of anyone who gets cut. I hope the cowboys call Jerry on his bluff and the entire team kneels, because he isnt gonna do shit.

Last edited by Nanners : 09-23-2017 at 06:19 PM.
Nanners is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: