Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-25-2017, 09:09 AM   #1
UK2K
NBA Legend

Default Steelers coach Mike Tomlin raps Alejandro Villanueva for standing for national anthem

Quote:
For Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin, being “respectful of our football team” trumped the right of Steelers offensive tackle Alejandro Villanueva to show respect for the national anthem.

A former Army Ranger, Villanueva was the only player from the team to break from the coach’s orders and come out of the tunnel Sunday in Chicago to stand for The Star Spangled Banner.

Speaking after his team's 23-17 loss to the Bears, Tomlin appeared to take a swipe at the Bronze Star recipient's decision.

“Like I said, I was looking for 100 percent participation, we were gonna be respectful of our football team,” Tomlin said.

Tomlin told the media prior to kickoff Sunday the Steelers would not come out of the locker room for the national anthem, adding the intent was to have his team focus on the game and not President Trump’s comments blasting players who chose to protest during the playing of The Star Spangled Banner.

“Many of them felt like something needed to be done. I asked those guys to discuss it and whatever they discussed that we have 100 percent participation or we do nothing,” Tomlin said after the game. “They discussed it for an appropriate length of time and they couldn’t come to an understanding, so they chose to remove themselves from it. They were not going to be disrespectful in the anthem so they chose not to participate, but at the same time many of them were not going to accept the words of the president.”

Villanueva, who served three tours in Afghanistan, decided to stand his ground instead and placed his hand over his heart while the anthem played.

“We’re not politicians. We’re coaches and professional athletes," Tomlin said Sunday. "If those of us or individuals choose to participate in politics in some way I’m going to be supportive of that. But when we come out of locker rooms, we come out of locker rooms to play football games."

Villanueva has previously spoken out about former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick’s decision to kneel during the national anthem, saying his actions may “send the wrong message.”

“I don’t know if the most effective way is to sit down during the national anthem with a country that’s providing you freedom, providing you $16 million a year...when there are black minorities that are dying in Iraq and Afghanistan for less than $20,000 a year," Villanueva told ESPN in 2016.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2017/0...al-anthem.html

'The team' deserves respect, but not the flag?

Got it, coach.

Freedom of speech is a two-way street.
UK2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:12 AM   #2
hold this L
Curry 2 > 1 LeBronze

Default Re: Steelers coach Mike Tomlin raps Alejandro Villanueva for standing for national anthem

How is the flag losing respect? Stop turning into the sensive liberals that annoy you so much
hold this L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:15 AM   #3
UK2K
NBA Legend

Default Re: Steelers coach Mike Tomlin raps Alejandro Villanueva for standing for national anthem

Quote:
Originally Posted by hold this L
How is the flag losing respect? Stop turning into the sensive liberals that annoy you so much

How did the team lose respect?

Quote:
“Like I said, I was looking for 100 percent participation, we were gonna be respectful of our football team,” Tomlin said.

I'm all for your right to kneel if you want, but I'm all for rights of the public to hate you for it, and not buy you're shit.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:23 AM   #4
dude77
NBA rookie of the year

lol the nfl has jumped the shark .. rule changes that have neutered players .. now mixing politics with the game .. becoming unwatchable ... I'll check back in for the sb if it's a good match up
dude77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:51 AM   #5
nathanjizzle
#Trump4Treason

op needs a safe space.
nathanjizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:28 AM   #6
macmac
Gov'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude77
lol the nfl has jumped the shark .. rule changes that have neutered players .. now mixing politics with the game .. becoming unwatchable ... I'll check back in for the sb if it's a good match up

Your loss dummy. This Thursday night matchup and all of Sunday had so many damn great moments. You're the one mixing politics into it. Just watch the product and forget the pregame theatrics. If you don't like Football then you're the one disrespecting the flag. Only a commi would not watch football on Sunday, I thought this was 'Murica?
macmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:37 AM   #7
CelticBaller
You mad?

a listed marine standing in attention, in front of the people whose RIGHT to kneel in which he's supposed to protect.

I applaud Villanueva, and Tomlin is ****ed up for throwing him under the bus. He has the right to go outside and sign the anthem, just like you guys have the right to stay inside
CelticBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:40 AM   #8
SunsN07BookIt
Good High School Starter

Alejandro Villanueva is simply a better human being than all these kneelers.

Also his jersey sales just went through the roof.
SunsN07BookIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:41 AM   #9
dude77
NBA rookie of the year

https://youtu.be/hp88VHFtFc8?t=201

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...s+burning+nfl+
Old 09-25-2017, 11:47 AM   #10
dude77
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
Your loss dummy. This Thursday night matchup and all of Sunday had so many damn great moments. You're the one mixing politics into it. Just watch the product and forget the pregame theatrics. If you don't like Football then you're the one disrespecting the flag. Only a commi would not watch football on Sunday, I thought this was 'Murica?

it's not just the politics .. the rules pussifing the game .. all these sjw programs .. but it is insulting watching these overpaid goons disrespecting my country like that .. the nfl celebrates and supports thugs, criminals, accused murderers .. and now they also support disrespecting this country .. what exactly does the nfl stand for ? ..

and being a 'fan' of these sports is pretty fkn gay on top of it all .. especially if you're older .. I can understand kids .. but grown ass men going crazy watching these things ? .. it's pathetic .. investing your time and money watching other men in tights throwing balls around .. investing your time and money making other men rich while your fat ass sits at home getting arteriosclerosis .. can't get anymore stupid than that ..

I remember years back when I was about 15 .. I was watching a football game and I threw myself on the floor going nuts because of an interception .. my father was passing by and gave me this look as if to say 'what are you doing, do you realize how stupid you look ?' .. he was 1000% right .. rip to that old man ..

you're better off going outside and playing the game with buddies .. I'll watch once in a while .. but only casually when I have time .. those days of being a fanatic are long gone

Last edited by dude77 : 09-25-2017 at 12:29 PM.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:58 AM   #11
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
This...yesterday's games were amazing

Trump stans banning all forms of entertainment -

They're on the verge on banning consensual sex because that's what feminists want. Only rape is acceptable.
~primetime~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 12:09 PM   #12
UK2K
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~primetime~
This...yesterday's games were amazing

Trump stans banning all forms of entertainment -

They're on the verge on banning consensual sex because that's what feminists want. Only rape is acceptable.

They really weren't.

RZ channel is amazing.

Viewership for the SNF game was down 17%, in what was expected to be a high scoring affair with two very well known and likable teams. Lowest rated SNF in 11 years.

Go figure.

Last edited by UK2K : 09-25-2017 at 12:12 PM.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:34 PM   #13
dude77
NBA rookie of the year

Old 09-25-2017, 12:45 PM   #14
Code Breaker
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude77

Cool pics bro.
Code Breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 12:56 PM   #15
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK2K
They really weren't.

RZ channel is amazing.

Viewership for the SNF game was down 17%, in what was expected to be a high scoring affair with two very well known and likable teams. Lowest rated SNF in 11 years.

Go figure.
because the 'right' refused to watch?

who cares?...that means NOTHING to me...I don't need ratings to tell me what to watch...I watch unpopular lesser-known media all the time.

I mean what are you guys hoping that the NFL will go bankrupt because of 'liberals' so you can say 'ha! see you libs ruin everything!!!'...keep dreaming lol
~primetime~ is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: