Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Utah Jazz Forum

Utah Jazz Forum Utah Jazz forum - Utah Jazz message board

Old 09-25-2017, 04:08 PM   #1
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default 2017 Fall camp and pre-season!

Been waiting for them to add a 20th player to the roster before starting this but I guess that's not happening for some reason!

Ready to finally see guys play instead of reading how great everyone is
Xiao Yao You is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:50 PM   #2
Xiao Yao You

Default Re: 2017 Fall camp and pre-season!

Quote:
Andy Larsen: Rubio: “I took this summer special to focus on improving my 3-point shot. That’s the direction NBA is heading.” – via Twitter andyblarsen

Andy Larsen: Rubio: “I’ve only been here two months but I’ve already talked to Quin more than any other coach.” – via Twitter andyblarsen

It was headed that way long ago. Even when Stockton played others were shooting tons of 3's just cause Jerry never embraced it

Quote:
Jody Genessy: Ricky Rubio on his new (much hairier) look: “Change the team. Change the look. Growing up.” – via Twitter DJJazzyJody

Jody Genessy: Joe Ingles on Ricky Rubio when they were teammates years ago: “He was like Justin Bieber.” – via Twitter DJJazzyJody

Andy Larsen: Favors: “I’m the healthiest I’ve been in a year and a half.” – via Twitter andyblarsen

let's just hope it lasts until you are traded!
Old 09-25-2017, 08:53 PM   #3
Xiao Yao You

Quote:
Andy Larsen: Rodney Hood’s goal is to be Most Improved Player. – via Twitter andyblarsen

Ryan McDonald: “I think somebody needs to take his Twitter account.”—Rodney Hood on @realDonaldTrump – via Twitter ryanwmcdonald

let the fool keep making a fool of himself
Old 09-25-2017, 08:54 PM   #4
Xiao Yao You

Andy Larsen: Quin Snyder: “A team that plays with the pass is not something that changes… Maybe it’s now Ricky throwing Rudy lobs.” – via Twitter andyblarsen
Old 09-25-2017, 08:55 PM   #5
Xiao Yao You

Tony Jones: Dennis Lindsey: We reject the premise that if you don’t stand for the national anthem, you’re not patriotic – via Twitter tribjazz
Old 09-25-2017, 09:04 PM   #6
Xiao Yao You

http://*********.com/2017/08/10/seas...iew-utah-jazz/

Quote:
WEAKNESSES: It’s a franchise in shock after the departure of its best player … You don’t replace a Gordon Hayward so easily … They were not exactly offensive juggernauts with him on the team … Scoring the ball will be even more of a struggle without their only elite scorer around … Who’s the go-to guy now? … They don’t have many players who can create their own shot … Outside shooting should be significantly worse with Hayward and Hill gone … They have obvious durability issues at the shooting guard spot with Hood and Alec Burks, who missed a combined 63 games last season.

But half a dozen all-stars!

Quote:
PREDICTION: 5th in the Northwest Division, 10th in the Western Conference.

Wow someone with an unbiased view
Old 09-25-2017, 09:32 PM   #7
Xiao Yao You

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=45935272&ni...-day-live-blog

Quote:
Bolomboy says that he wants to put his mediocre summer league performance behind him, and show his coaches that he’s not only good enough to make the roster, but play consistent minutes in the NBA.

He does have a mentor in Derrick Favors. “Joel Bolomboy reminds me of myself when I first came into the league,” Favors said. He said he’s helping to teach Bolomboy how to use his size and explosiveness to do more than just finish rebounds around the basket.

Nice. I can see him in the rotation once his mentor and Johnson are traded

Quote:
Donovan Mitchell has a unique set of brakes: he doesn’t yet have a driver's license. Instead, fellow rookie Tony Bradley has been driving him wherever he needs to go, including to practice.

It makes sense: the 21-year-old Mitchell is a native of New York City, where driving isn’t a necessity. Things are different here in spread-out Salt Lake City.

Who drove him around in Louisville?

Quote:
Dante Exum is excited to show off how he’s improved this summer, the first one he’s been fully healthy for since his rookie season. He says his shot hasn’t changed, but it has improved, thanks to increased consistency and confidence due to the thousands of reps he took.

Believe it when I see it. Did he practice lay-ups and defending without his hands too?

Quote:
After taking more threes in Eurobasket, Rubio also wants to extend that to his performance next year.

Too bad Montenegro isn't in the league

Quote:
Derrick Favors thinks that his pairing with Rudy Gobert can work. “I get it, because neither one of us extends to the three point line. But there are good things. We’re both high-low passers; we’re both good screeners. I can step out and hit the 18-foot jumper consistently.”

consistently? What happened to raining 3's?
Old 09-25-2017, 09:43 PM   #8
Xiao Yao You

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...certainty.html

Quote:
the Jazz have filled the roster, employing more players than the league allows, and that means the Jazz must cut at least one before the beginning of the season. With Rudy Gobert, Favors, Jonas Jerebko, Ekpe Udoh, Tony Bradley and Eric Griffin under contract, the Jazz have one of the deepest frontcourts in the NBA.

3 proven NBA players is deep?

This intern ought to work for the jnotes.com
Old 09-25-2017, 09:51 PM   #9
Xiao Yao You

Quote:
David Locke @Lockedonsports
Alec Burks game is still explosive, better than last. Been working on strengthening his leg and making threes.

I think they need t let him play his game. Seems like to me they have screwed him up trying to turn him into something he's not
Old 09-25-2017, 09:51 PM   #10
Xiao Yao You

Quote:
David Locke @Lockedonsports
First off-season for Exum was spent in LA. He's back and ready to adjust his pace, mentality and "relax" while on the court.

Is that going to help him make shots and defend again?
Old 09-25-2017, 09:53 PM   #11
Xiao Yao You

Quote:
Ryan McDonald @ryanwmcdonald
Asked if anyone has gotten noticeably better, Rodney Hood first said Alec Burks
3h

Jody Genessy @DJJazzyJody
Rodney Hood said it's been good seeing Alec Burks back healthy and explosive.

Can't wait! Maybe we should talk about Exum some more though.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:54 PM   #12
Xiao Yao You

Quote:
Ryan McDonald @ryanwmcdonald
Rodney Hood also looks quite a bit bigger

Good to hear!
Old 09-25-2017, 10:04 PM   #13
Xiao Yao You

https://www.slcdunk.com/2017/9/25/16...hy-injury-free

Quote:
“It made me mature as a man and player, says Burks. “Nothing was ever handed to me.”

Too bad some of your teammates can't say the same

Quote:
He looked like he had a scorer’s mentality.

looked like? He did.

Quote:
When asked what he thought about Rudy Gobert’s development he seemed to almost allude to his erratic playing time by the hands of Ty Corbin. “He matured a lot, got stronger,” Burks said. “He got so much experience at a young age that will prepare him for the future.”

Neither deserved to play when they came into the league. Get off of Ty's jock already! Very few have for the Jazz despite some being gifted time
Old 09-25-2017, 10:07 PM   #14
Xiao Yao You

https://www.slcdunk.com/2017/9/25/16...t-about-season

Quote:
Tony Jones @tribjazz
Dante Exum - “I feel very confident at the moment. My finishing has come a long way and being a better decision maker."
3:59 PM - Sep 25, 2017

His shot and his finish! Can't wait to see you prove it hopefully

Quote:
Dante Exum said he has the goal of being a starter. This year more than any he’d have to really earn that position. With a talented veteran in Ricky Rubio slotted for that starting role, Dante would have to show the type of improvement that is reserved for Most Improved Player Award winners.

If he can hit shots and defend he can start at the 2 and leave Hood to the bench where he should be. I'm certainly not counting on it though
Old 09-25-2017, 10:18 PM   #15
Xiao Yao You

https://thejnotes.com/2017/09/25/uta...-undetermined/

Quote:
Fans and prognosticators may have their first five set for the Utah Jazz, but head coach Quin Snyder is still figuring his starting lineup out.

When he joined GM Dennis Lindsey at the podium during Utah Jazz Media Day, head coach Quin Snyder was asked who would comprise the team’s starting five. As one might expect, he was non-committal about which players would get the nod, with one exception —

“I have a pretty good idea that Rudy [Gobert] is going to start.”
It wasn’t exactly a “Stop the presses!” moment, but I don’t think Snyder’s sentiment was strictly coach-speak either. Just who will be on the floor when the Jazz tip-off their season opener against the Denver Nuggets may be as much of a mystery to Snyder as it is to the rest of us.

Good to hear. Make them earn their spots for a change. That would be a refreshing start to the season right there. Tired of hearing about stars and go to guys. What 4 players fit best around your star?

Quote:
It’s probably safe to assume that Hood will start at the two. In a post-Hayward world, he’s the closest thing the team has to a go-to scorer.

Except for Alec who's even more dynamic offensively to this site's favorite player

Quote:
Rubio is likely locked in as well, although Dante Exum has named cracking the first five as a goal of his this season.

Dante at the 2 makes more sense to me if he can hit shots and defend. He should be gone if he can't though!

Quote:
Then there’s rookie Donovan Mitchell, who probably has the highest potential ceiling of any of the team’s youth contingent. The point guard spot may be his best position as a professional. He could also join Rubio in the backcourt and bump Hood to the small forward position.

They'll want him at the one eventually for D but I'd say h'e more of a 2 right now. I could see him starting if he can hit pen shots too. I can also see him in the G-league. Hood starting at the 3 I can't really picture

Quote:
Speaking of small forward, if Ingles doesn’t start at the three, the team could look to Thabo Sefolosha to fill the role. Despite entering his 12th year in the league, Sefolosha remains one of the game’s elite wing defenders.

Sefolosha makes more sense to me than Hood though he would be best at the 4. This roster is such a mess!

Quote:
As for Favors and the power forward job, intrigue abounds. During his injury-plagued ’16-17 campaign, few would have envisioned that he could keep his spot as a starter. However, Favors has rocked OTAs and open gym recently.

During media day interviews, he even said he’s the healthiest he’s been in a year and a half. If he can get back to being the player that averaged 16 points, eight rebounds and 1.5 blocks per game at that time, he’ll undoubtedly start and the Jazz will surprise some people.

On the other hand, Jonas Jerebko is a talented playmaking big who could really complement Gobert. His 3-point percentage has hovered around 40 percent for much of his career; a mark that inspires confidence in their inside-out pairing.

playmaking big?

Quote:
In the end, though, I expect we’ll see the “obvious” choices on opening night. Nevertheless, this is one instance where a coach says he’s still working things out and I actually believe what he’s saying.

I don't. Hard to imagine Rudy, Favors and Rubio not starting. I'd think Ingles too. Hopefully Hood is on the bench and someone else can step forward for that spot
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: