Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 09-26-2017, 01:21 AM   #1
catzhernandez
Underrated

Default Ouch... Sixers' Joel Embiid: "Don't count on me for a full season"

Way to stay positive, but I guess it's just realistic....

Quote:
CAMDEN -- For those who weren't put at ease by Sixers ' general manager Bryan Colangelo 's comments in relation to Joel Embiid 's health, the 23-year-old made sure to reiterate that he's just fine at the team's media day.

"I feel great," Embiid told reporters on Monday at the team facility. "The past couple of months, I just started working really hard on my rehab, and on my body especially because watching myself play last year I used my body a lot."

Embiid suffered a torn meniscus in his right knee on Jan. 20 in a game against the Portland Trail Blazers, and had surgery to repair it in March. While Embiid mentioned he dealt with some "normal" swelling after his surgery, he said that he's had two scans of his surgically repaired knee since then, and everything came back "perfect."

The typical recovery timeframe for a surgery of that nature is 4-6 weeks, but it's been nearly six months and Embiid has not been cleared for 5-on-5 action. Still, Embiid thinks he's healthy enough to play right now if he needed to.

"I mean if it was Game 7 of the NBA Finals, definitely," Embiid said. "I've got to check a couple boxes before the season, and that's what I intend to do."

Those boxes, according to Colangelo, have to deal with strength and conditioning, as well as getting him back into game shape. Embiid admitted that he's not necessarily in midseason form, but the Sixers anticipate he'll be ready for their season opener against the Washington Wizards on Oct. 18 .

Sixers will have to give max deal to Joel Embiid

"We feel that he's on course for him to ultimately be available for our intended goal, and that's the regular season." Colangelo said.

Embiid played just 31 games in his rookie season, and while he's certainly expecting to play more than that this season, a full schedule doesn't appear to be likely.

"I'll be honest, I don't think I'll play 82 games this year." Embiid candidly said. "That's not happening."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/article...82_games. amp

Kind of depressing outlook for a guy who has crazy tools to be an epic epic player for this generation, but I suppose the primary goal is to simply FINISH a season healthy.
catzhernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 01:24 AM   #2
Nash
Very good NBA starter

Default Re: Ouch... Sixers' Joel Embiid: "Don't count on me for a full season"

And he wants the max?
Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 01:27 AM   #3
Kawhi m8
0/8

Glass
Kawhi m8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 01:49 AM   #4
bobopenguin
Good college starter

lol.
give this man a max & 5yrs!! 76ers'.
bobopenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 01:56 AM   #5
Pacquiao
Local High School Star

Embidd should retire.
Pacquiao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 02:18 AM   #6
Gatorade Sax
Serious playground baller

Wonder if this guy will end up like Bynum..cash checks and sink tins...really hope not, but who knows.
Gatorade Sax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 02:24 AM   #7
Orlando Magic
NBA sixth man of the year

fml
Orlando Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 03:28 AM   #8
dunksby
NBA Superstar

Sounds like something Rose would say.
dunksby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 03:37 AM   #9
bigkingsfan
Gif-ted

He'll play 81 and sit out the final game to rest for the playoffs.
bigkingsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 05:34 AM   #10
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Sounds like they may have to use him like the Clippers used Bill Walton. Play him 2 games a week max no matter if hes feeling great or not. Tell him his seasons are 55 games max till hes right....if he ever is.

May be for the greater good.

I wonder how many serious injuries to greats would have been avoided if players/teams took the "**** the fans...." approach they seem willing to take now to avoid injury.

At the very least Walton, Grant Hill, and Penny should have been allowed/encouraged to rest a lot more when they got hurt. Walton and Penny flat out said they didn't think people believed they were ever hurt because it didn't stand out on xrays till it was to late. Hill mentioned that he was pressured to play on his already bad ankle/feet for the Pistons because everyone said the Bad Boy era guys would have played through it...

At some point we gotta stop that line of thinking and see the big picture I guess. Some of these people just aren't built for 15 years of 82 game seasons.

I wouldn't be surprised if in the future teams start quietly scheduling 60 game seasons in advance for players thought to be fragile. Sucks as a paying customer attending games.....but I do wish someone got out ahead of Brandon Roy. Roy, Penny, Hill, Walton, and I think Webber too all rushed back from injury for playoff games and it cost the entire NBA. Derrick Rose missed like half of 2012 with various lower body injuries and hes in a game up 12 or so with a minute to go vs a team we could have beat without him? NBA loses its brightest young star...and never got him back.

This new era of twinkie filling soft stars and cautious teams may truly be for the greater good even if it makes us wish for the days of Stockton being out there for 15 years in a row or Isiah Thomas and Allen Iverson having to be damn near restrained by team doctors to keep them off the court. They once had to come take Iversons jersey pregame trying to force him to sit and he went and bought his own jersey from the team store....

Its respectable. But heart like that probably costs us a lot of great basketball players. Bit of a balancing act is needed.

Id say back...feet....knees...ankles...sit that guy no matter what he thinks. **** the playoff run. Especially these teams that aren't winning anyway.

The Pistons had Grant barely able to walk pressuring him to play a series that didn't matter....we lose a potential all time great.

At least when the Blazers had the team doctors lie to Walton about being ok they were probably gonna win the title if he were healthy. But then his foot literally splits in two on a rebound and we lose a potential top 15 all time player...who was ALREADY injury prone. They knew he was brittle. But he was highly paid so they lied to make him play through it. Which is why he hated the team and sued.

You cant expect these guys to all play the hero. There aren't that many supermen. Some people are just Batman. Amazing...but human. They break.

Who wins big picture wise if Joel tries to gut it out for 82 games and Waltons himself?

**** it. Shoot for 60 games of healthy ball.
Kblaze8855 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 05:39 AM   #11
Marchesk
El Sid Stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
Some of these people just aren't built for 15 years of 82 game seasons.

The 82 game should be done away with in favor a 60 game one. The games would mean more, you could get rid of double headers, there would be less coasting and resting players.

But then that means less $$ for the owners, so it won't happen.
Marchesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 05:54 AM   #12
hold this L
Curry 2 > 1 LeBronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash
And he wants the max?
This was my reaction. Embarrassing.
hold this L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 07:36 AM   #13
PJR
NBA rookie of the year

Self doubt (or perhaps he's being realistic) from your supposed franchise talent? Yikes.
PJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 07:58 AM   #14
DukeDelonte13
Very good NBA starter

What a shame.
DukeDelonte13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 08:46 AM   #15
fiddy
Raider of Rampage

It sucks that NBA fans will be robbed of seeing Embiid the whole season, but at the same time serves the 76ers right for their shameless tanking
fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: