Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2017, 10:25 AM   #16
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~
 
~primetime~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: ~dallas,texas~ team: ~cowboys~
Posts: 21,848
Default Re: So First Take, NFL and other sporting platforms are now political too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK2K
When 'racial injustice' is solved.

So... never. Because we all know, if you give a mouse a cookie...
You can protest violence knowing that violence won't disappear dummy

Are you saying protests don't do anything?
~primetime~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 10:40 AM   #17
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated
 
Kblaze8855's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: I love me some me.
Posts: 16,306
Default Re: So First Take, NFL and other sporting platforms are now political too?

This protest certainly won't do anything. Cops don't shoot black people because they are evil for the most part. Cops are more prone to be afraid of black people for a long list of reasons. You can't protest away fear especially when so many of the protests themselves end up violent. This one in particular isnt but generally speaking.....it happens. A cop is just more likely to see me as a threat to his life than a little white guy. It may or may not be true but it isn't something you diminish through protests. Maybe with enough public pressure you could get charges brought more often and maybe an extra conviction or two but you can't change the problem itself.

The problem is more prejudice than out right racism because even black cops would fear an average black male more than the average white male.

And you're never going to get cops to admit to being ******* either. But that really is the root of the problem. Fear. There are a few of them who are just jackasses who claim they were afraid when they were really just trigger-happy. That's human nature. That's giving a douche bag a badge and a gun. There are way too many cops to not have a few of those just off the numbers.

But fundamentally this is a problem of fear. And you can't protest it away
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 10:41 AM   #18
UK2K
NBA Legend
 
UK2K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 16,715
Default Re: So First Take, NFL and other sporting platforms are now political too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~primetime~
You can protest violence knowing that violence won't disappear dummy

Are you saying protests don't do anything?

No, Im saying that there's no stated end goal, so the protests will just continue on forever.
UK2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 10:44 AM   #19
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~
 
~primetime~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: ~dallas,texas~ team: ~cowboys~
Posts: 21,848
Default Re: So First Take, NFL and other sporting platforms are now political too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK2K
No, Im saying that there's no stated end goal, so the protests will just continue on forever.
People giving a shit will die down

That what sucks, when Trump tweeted about it we were already at a stage where most people stopped caring about this. He renewed it, gave it new life.
~primetime~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:17 AM   #20
r15mohd
College star
 
r15mohd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,013
Default Re: So First Take, NFL and other sporting platforms are now political too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
So this is just a Black thing then? I mean, what more do Black athletes want? Police shootings against Blacks is less than 1% of all Police-involved interactions with the public. Yet here we are burning cities to the ground.

I'll kneel with all you suckas when the percentage increases. But it has to increase over less than 1%.

smh at the misinformation, or misinterpretation of whatever data you're using...

Quote:
According to Fatal Encounters, the database created by former Reno News & Review editor and journalism instructor Burghart (which tracks all deaths resulting from interactions with police), a total of 1,388 people were killed by police in 2015, 318 (23%) of them black, and 560 (40%) of them white. So roughly 23 percent of those killed by any police interaction in 2015 were black and just over 40 percent were white. According to those statistics (adjusted for racial demographics), black people had a 2.7 higher likelihood of being killed by police than whites.

The grim trend has carried over into 2016. Of the 1,034 people killed and tracked by Burghart’s Fatal Encounters database so far this year, 215 were black while 338 were white, so thus far in 2016 black Americans have been three times more likely than white people to die in interactions with police. That statistic holds for figures sent to us by Burghart compiled between Jan. 1, 2013 to Sept. 21, 2016, with suicides-by-cop removed.

Link: http://www.snopes.com/do-police-kill...-black-people/

wonder which poster opposing you will respond with the "kneel b!tch" reply

Last edited by r15mohd : 09-27-2017 at 11:20 AM.
r15mohd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:18 AM   #21
UK2K
NBA Legend
 
UK2K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 16,715
Default Re: So First Take, NFL and other sporting platforms are now political too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~primetime~
People giving a shit will die down

That what sucks, when Trump tweeted about it we were already at a stage where most people stopped caring about this. He renewed it, gave it new life.

Isn't that what they wanted, though?

Thus, the reason for protesting during the anthem to begin with?
UK2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:20 AM   #22
UK2K
NBA Legend
 
UK2K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 16,715
Default Re: So First Take, NFL and other sporting platforms are now political too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by r15mohd
smh at the misinformation, or misinterpretation of whatever data you're using...



wonder which poster opposing you will respond with the "kneel b!tch" reply

Quote:
According to Fatal Encounters, the database created by former Reno News & Review editor and journalism instructor Burghart (which tracks all deaths resulting from interactions with police), a total of 1,388 people were killed by police in 2015, 318 (23%) of them black, and 560 (40%) of them white. So roughly 23 percent of those killed by any police interaction in 2015 were black and just over 40 percent were white. According to those statistics (adjusted for racial demographics), black people had a 2.7 higher likelihood of being killed by police than whites.

But if blacks are 70% of the interactions, and whites make up 30%, the odds of a white person being shot is much, much, much higher on a per case basis.

Your stats simply look at raw numbers and don't take into account that over half of violent crimes in this country are committed by 6% of the population.

So obviously, officers are going to have more contact with blacks then whites on a per capita basis.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...controversial/
UK2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:22 AM   #23
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~
 
~primetime~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: ~dallas,texas~ team: ~cowboys~
Posts: 21,848
Default Re: So First Take, NFL and other sporting platforms are now political too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK2K
Isn't that what they wanted, though?

Thus, the reason for protesting during the anthem to begin with?
That's what Kap wanted yes...this is a wet dream for him

What I'm saying is the outrage from Kap had all but vanished when Trump tweeted. He renewed the 'kneeling'. He gave it new life...the irony
~primetime~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:32 AM   #24
tpols
we already won
 
tpols's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 18,927
Default Re: So First Take, NFL and other sporting platforms are now political too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
This protest certainly won't do anything. Cops don't shoot black people because they are evil for the most part. Cops are more prone to be afraid of black people for a long list of reasons. You can't protest away fear especially when so many of the protests themselves end up violent. This one in particular isnt but generally speaking.....it happens. A cop is just more likely to see me as a threat to his life than a little white guy. It may or may not be true but it isn't something you diminish through protests. Maybe with enough public pressure you could get charges brought more often and maybe an extra conviction or two but you can't change the problem itself.

The problem is more prejudice than out right racism because even black cops would fear an average black male more than the average white male.

And you're never going to get cops to admit to being ******* either. But that really is the root of the problem. Fear. There are a few of them who are just jackasses who claim they were afraid when they were really just trigger-happy. That's human nature. That's giving a douche bag a badge and a gun. There are way too many cops to not have a few of those just off the numbers.

But fundamentally this is a problem of fear. And you can't protest it away



you're too focused on the shooting part... cops, lawyers, prosecutors all use minorities to boost their #'s and advance their careers. its easy pickings for them.
tpols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:48 AM   #25
r15mohd
College star
 
r15mohd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,013
Default Re: So First Take, NFL and other sporting platforms are now political too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK2K
But if blacks are 70% of the interactions, and whites make up 30%, the odds of a white person being shot is much, much, much higher on a per case basis.

Your stats simply look at raw numbers and don't take into account that over half of violent crimes in this country are committed by 6% of the population.

So obviously, officers are going to have more contact with blacks then whites on a per capita basis.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...controversial/

you keep posting this as holy grail, however...

Quote:

Methodology was a matter of dispute when it came to the paper and its findings: investigative journalist and law enforcement expert Radley Balko published a critical editorial in the Washington Post about the working paper, noting that core data may have been weighted to favor officer perspectives.

...

Vox published a critical counter-piece that didn’t take an approach as granular as Balko’s, noting that Fryer’s expertise was not in criminology and his cited motivations were rooted in a mistaken belief no such research had yet been done

...


As both outlets noted, Fryer’s findings weren’t necessarily misleading, incorrect, or wrong, but there were numerous obvious problems with the bombastic manner in which the New York Times framed his paper (for starters). Fryer’s paper was neither published nor peer-reviewed, and it was certainly not a “Harvard study.” (A similar controversy erupted over a “Harvard study” on of gun rights was found to be a paper penned by supporters of that issue.)

...

Critics noted that Fryer’s sample size was exceedingly small (possibly skewing the results) and relied on the narratives of policemen and women party to officer-involved shootings. Moreover, Fryer’s background in economics was certainly useful for crunching data, but it lacked the scope and working knowledge present in criminologists and researchers in related fields. The paper is still a work in progress and hasn’t been fully vetted, but even in its “working” state it has been the target of multiple assessments indicating that its findings are far from complete.

Link: http://www.snopes.com/2016/07/15/har...ved-shootings/

Quote:
Ironically, the major gulf between the NBER paper and other bodies of research captures a major problem facing institutions attempting to grapple with the growing body count: There simply isn’t enough data to understand the scope of racially biased police shootings. The Federal Bureau of Investigation began requesting more data from local police forces as part of its Uniform Crime Reporting system in April 2015,(Fryer indicates his study is from 2005-2015 ) and director James Comey himself condemned the absence of comprehensive data on officer-involved shootings as “embarrassing and ridiculous.” How can local, state, and federal authorities craft effective policies that curb police violence when they don’t understand the extent of the problem? How can the lawmakers care about black lives when, in the annals of data that matter, they are effectively invisible.

But the problem isn’t just a question of sample size of knowledge management on the part of America’s sprawling state and federal bureaucracy: The data itself is flawed. Fryer even acknowledges this in his paper, writing that the self-selecting departments “only supplied the data because they are either enlightened or were not concerned about what the analysis would reveal.” Additionally, data “may contain police officers who present contextual factors at that time of an incident in a biased manner.”

Link: https://psmag.com/news/the-big-probl...cial-profiling

Quote:
Fryer’s analysis is highly flawed, however. It suffers from major theoretical and methodological errors, and he has communicated the results to news media in a way that is misleading. While there have long been problems with the quality of police shootings data, there is still plenty of evidence to support a pattern of systematic, racially discriminatory use of force against black people in the United States.


Link: https://scholar.harvard.edu/jfeldman...ootings-police

authors credentials:
I am a social epidemiologist and doctoral candidate at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health. My work examines the ways in which structural racism and economic inequality influence population health, particularly in regard to interpersonal and state violence. To date, my published research has focused on:

Monitoring police violence with injury and mortality data
Examining associations between various health outcomes and economic/racial residential segregation
Using multilevel models and census-derived variables to analyze population-based health data

seeing this report (false "study") is flawed on many accounts, it has no merit and holds no foundation to referencing in which you and others (conveniently) have tried to use on here.

let me know if we should start a discussion on this
r15mohd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:54 AM   #26
TheMan
Repping mis Mexicanas!
 
TheMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: amongst wackos
Posts: 10,431
Default Re: So First Take, NFL and other sporting platforms are now political too?

As others have stated before, Trump has more people in the country that dislike him than like him, and it's not even close. He is a lifetime New Yorker, yet he lost that city by a 9-1 margin in the place that has known him the most, LMAO. I bet no other candidate in the history of US politics has lost the hometown vote that badly. George W Bush was born in New Haven, Connecticut, but I haven't looked it up yet I bet you he didn't lose New Haven by a 9-1 margin.

OP fukk off, you have not a clue what Americans think, feel or do in a daily basis, yet you're here opining on OUR business, it really is annoying af.
TheMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:59 AM   #27
UK2K
NBA Legend
 
UK2K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 16,715
Default Re: So First Take, NFL and other sporting platforms are now political too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by r15mohd
you keep posting this as holy grail, however...
seeing this report (false "study") is flawed on many accounts, it has no merit and holds no foundation to referencing in which you and others (conveniently) have tried to use on here.

let me know if we should start a discussion on this

Of course you're going to find people who think its faulty. It doesn't say what they wanted it to say, so critics would go through and rip it apart. Obviously, with it going against the popular narrative (but aligning with statistics and logic), people are going to try and find a reason to claim its not true.

'Small sample size'... they looked at over 3,000 instances.

23% (165) of those killed by police this year have been blacks, DESPITE blacks committing over half the violent crime in this country. I'd say that's pretty good.

Of those 165, only 10 have been unarmed.

That would be.... about 1%.
UK2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:11 PM   #28
Patrick Chewing
O.G. Shot Caller
 
Patrick Chewing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 16,174
Default Re: So First Take, NFL and other sporting platforms are now political too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK2K
Of course you're going to find people who think its faulty. It doesn't say what they wanted it to say, so critics would go through and rip it apart. Obviously, with it going against the popular narrative (but aligning with statistics and logic), people are going to try and find a reason to claim its not true.

'Small sample size'... they looked at over 3,000 instances.

23% (165) of those killed by police this year have been blacks, DESPITE blacks committing over half the violent crime in this country. I'd say that's pretty good.

Of those 165, only 10 have been unarmed.

That would be.... about 1%.


I'm a genius!
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:12 PM   #29
NumberSix
Big Booty Hoes!!
 
NumberSix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Internets
Posts: 26,591
Default Re: So First Take, NFL and other sporting platforms are now political too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
The idea that the NFL could be crippled because of Trump fans is laughable
Literally nobody is arguing that. You've completely missed what is happening here.
NumberSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:14 PM   #30
PistonsFan#21
NBA lottery pick
 
PistonsFan#21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,161
Default Re: So First Take, NFL and other sporting platforms are now political too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK2K
Of course you're going to find people who think its faulty. It doesn't say what they wanted it to say, so critics would go through and rip it apart. Obviously, with it going against the popular narrative (but aligning with statistics and logic), people are going to try and find a reason to claim its not true.

'Small sample size'... they looked at over 3,000 instances.

23% (165) of those killed by police this year have been blacks, DESPITE blacks committing over half the violent crime in this country. I'd say that's pretty good.

Of those 165, only 10 have been unarmed.

That would be.... about 1%.

Its already been proven that the article you used wasnt reviewed by anyone and was biased...find a more credible article instead of using a flawed study that support your point of view.

And it also say blacks are 2.7 times more likely to be shot than whites so it doesnt support your argument in any way
PistonsFan#21 is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:36 AM.




NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
Search Site

FOLLOW US
Twitter
Facebook
















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy