Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2017, 12:17 PM   #31
PistonsFan#21
NBA lottery pick
 
PistonsFan#21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,163
Default Re: So First Take, NFL and other sporting platforms are now political too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberSix
Literally nobody is arguing that. You've completely missed what is happening here.

did you even read the OP of this thread you are responding to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by poido123
What in the hell is going on in America?

Have you guys lost the plot?


Who is the moral authority to decide if Trump's comments were justified or not and why do these sports programs attack Trump and Shannon Sharpe First Take spouting his black agenda on TV?


This will only cripple the NBA and NFL viwership, Trump fans will simply boycott games and buying merchandise.


I don't see how this is creating unity or bettering the black cause in America. If anything, the fencesitters on these issues will reject the political agendas been shoved down their throats in the sports.
PistonsFan#21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:24 PM   #32
r15mohd
College star
 
r15mohd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,013
Default Re: So First Take, NFL and other sporting platforms are now political too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK2K
Of course you're going to find people who think its faulty. It doesn't say what they wanted it to say, so critics would go through and rip it apart. Obviously, with it going against the popular narrative (but aligning with statistics and logic), people are going to try and find a reason to claim its not true.

'Small sample size'... they looked at over 3,000 instances.

23% (165) of those killed by police this year have been blacks, DESPITE blacks committing over half the violent crime in this country. I'd say that's pretty good.

Of those 165, only 10 have been unarmed.

That would be.... about 1%.

again, you use it holy grail and fail to dissect the details to even tout that 1% notation. i have no bias on using a credible source, however this was never peer reviewed and used skewed data. you then reference the same skewed data to come up with the 1% like that makes any relevance to the convo or the foundation trying to be made.

here are excerpts from Fryer's study to show why the data is skewed and you indicating 165 and 10 unarmed hold no merit:

Quote:
For instance, a population of drivers stopped by police can have one of two outcomes: they can be arrested, or they can be sent on their way. Instead of following this standard approach, Fryer constructs a fictitious population of people who are shot by police and people who are arrested. The problem here is that these two groups (those shot and those arrested) are, in all likelihood, systematically different from one another in ways that cannot be controlled for statistically (UPenn Professor Uri Simonsohn expands on this point here). Fryer acknowledges this limitation in a brief footnote, but understates just how problematic it is. Properly interpreted, the actual result from Fryer’s analysis is that the racial disparity in arrest rates is larger than the racial disparity in police shootings. This is an unsurprising finding, and proves neither a lack of bias nor a lack of systematic discrimination.


Quote:
Even if the difference in the arrest vs. shooting groups could be accounted for, Fryer tries to control for these differences using variables in police reports, such as if the suspect was described as 'violently resisting arrest'. There is reason to believe that these police reports themselves are racially biased. An investigation of people charged with assaulting a police officer in Washington, DC found that this charge was applied disproportionately towards black residents even for situations in which no assault actually occurred. This was partly due to an overly broad definition of assault against police in DC law, but the principle - that police are likely to describe black civilians as more threatening - is applicable to other jurisdictions.

so in these select instances from Fryer's "study", that 165 you reference you claim can be invalid and pushing the % higher

Quote:
The most revealing passage in the Times article is probably the one explaining what Fryer and his team didn’t include in their study:

It focused on what happens when police encounters occur, not how often they happen. Racial differences in how often police-civilian interactions occur reflect greater structural problems in society.

In other words, Fryer and company found that there weren’t big racial disparities in how often black and white suspects who’d already been stopped by police were killed. But they deliberately avoided the question of whether black citizens are more likely to be stopped to begin with (they are) and whether they’re more likely to be stopped without cause (yup).

the false study by Fryer lacks credibility by many...including his peers at Harvard who are more fluent in these area, as well as the snopes fact check (very reliable in producing merit to claims and studies like these).

if you'd like to refute any of this, please let me know and we can continue...however as it stands, the study is false and proven to be inaccurate on many accounts, and you referencing the same inaccurate numbers does nothing to warrant your foundation -- as it is INACCURATE.
r15mohd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:27 PM   #33
Patrick Chewing
O.G. Shot Caller
 
Patrick Chewing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 16,172
Default Re: So First Take, NFL and other sporting platforms are now political too?

Pistonsfan, you were saying....

University of Missouri Enrollment Falls to Decade Low After Protests


It's all related.
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:47 PM   #34
PistonsFan#21
NBA lottery pick
 
PistonsFan#21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,163
Default Re: So First Take, NFL and other sporting platforms are now political too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by r15mohd
again, you use it holy grail and fail to dissect the details to even tout that 1% notation. i have no bias on using a credible source, however this was never peer reviewed and used skewed data. you then reference the same skewed data to come up with the 1% like that makes any relevance to the convo or the foundation trying to be made.

here are excerpts from Fryer's study to show why the data is skewed and you indicating 165 and 10 unarmed hold no merit:






so in these select instances from Fryer's "study", that 165 you reference you claim can be invalid and pushing the % higher



the false study by Fryer lacks credibility by many...including his peers at Harvard who are more fluent in these area, as well as the snopes fact check (very reliable in producing merit to claims and studies like these).

if you'd like to refute any of this, please let me know and we can continue...however as it stands, the study is false and proven to be inaccurate on many accounts, and you referencing the same inaccurate numbers does nothing to warrant your foundation -- as it is INACCURATE.

UK2K has no analytic skills. His response are: ''stop playing the victim card'' , ''what cause are they fighting for?'' He simply deflects any of the points you made or even act as if he didnt see your post when he knows hes wrong.

He found this one study that he somehow thinks help his argument and will stick to it no matter how many times its been refuted.
PistonsFan#21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:48 PM   #35
falc39
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,624
Default Re: So First Take, NFL and other sporting platforms are now political too?

Everyone is to blame for politics in sports, including trump, who has done his part in stoking the flames and making it more controversial than it needs to be.

In the end, the actual product isn't being affected. It's not like the pregame actions affect the playing quality or competition of the actual games. If you don't like it, then don't watch it, it's really that plain and simple. No one is forcing you to accept it and no one is forcing you to allow yourself to be triggered by it. The sports media will always talk about what is being talked about but sports will always be sports. Remove yourself from the continuing escalating response of collectivism and just enjoy sports for what it is.
falc39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 01:07 PM   #36
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated
 
Kblaze8855's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: I love me some me.
Posts: 16,305
Default Re: So First Take, NFL and other sporting platforms are now political too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberSix
Literally nobody is arguing that. You've completely missed what is happening here.

This must be about the fifth time you've told me nobody said something when they said it Word for Word.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 01:13 PM   #37
PistonsFan#21
NBA lottery pick
 
PistonsFan#21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,163
Default Re: So First Take, NFL and other sporting platforms are now political too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
Pistonsfan, you were saying....

University of Missouri Enrollment Falls to Decade Low After Protests


It's all related.

So are you arguing that the protest will cripple the NBA and NFL viewership? Because i was responding to Number6 who was claiming that literally nobody here was arguing that. Yet you and OP would be atleast 2 persons that believe it just in this thread.

And you cant compare enrollement to a single college to the views the biggest sport even in the country is gonna get. Apples to oranges. There is more than thousands of different options of colleges, there is only on NFL league
PistonsFan#21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 01:15 PM   #38
imdaman99
Knicks all da way
 
imdaman99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 20,909
Default Re: So First Take, NFL and other sporting platforms are now political too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK2K
No, Im saying that there's no stated end goal, so the protests will just continue on forever.
How mad were you at Rosa Parks for thinking she had the right to sit at the front of the bus?
imdaman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 01:18 PM   #39
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.
 
bdreason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: HB, CA
Posts: 25,572
Default Re: So First Take, NFL and other sporting platforms are now political too?

Everyone has the right to a political opinion. Don’t like it, don’t listen. Welcome to America.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 01:26 PM   #40
r15mohd
College star
 
r15mohd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,013
Default Re: So First Take, NFL and other sporting platforms are now political too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistonsFan#21
UK2K has no analytic skills. His response are: ''stop playing the victim card'' , ''what cause are they fighting for?'' He simply deflects any of the points you made or even act as if he didnt see your post when he knows hes wrong.

He found this one study that he somehow thinks help his argument and will stick to it no matter how many times its been refuted.

pretty much...but that's just how biased some are. they believe what they want regardless of what's brought up as fact. they are quick to say, fake news, or these are opposers of the data....uhh no, this is the reasoning and actual factual rebuttal to why your claims and beleif in a fraudulent report should be deleted and never used. then you ask then to refute.rebuttal like both of us said, and they go on to the deflecting, etc
r15mohd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 01:41 PM   #41
west_tip
19 years of excellence
 
west_tip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,325
Default Re: So First Take, NFL and other sporting platforms are now political too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
170 million Americans watched the Superbowl. Only 130 voted in the presidential election.

I know I shouldn't be surprised at this statistic but still, that is desperately depressing and a sad indictment on this country. In 2016 more people care about watching a fatuous, uber commercialized sporting event that has no real impact on their lives than exercising their right to vote.

I really wish voting was obligatory here like it is in Australia and Belgium.
west_tip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 01:46 PM   #42
r15mohd
College star
 
r15mohd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,013
Default Re: So First Take, NFL and other sporting platforms are now political too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by west_tip
I know I shouldn't be surprised at this statistic but still, that is desperately depressing and a sad indictment on this country. In 2016 more people care about watching a fatuous, uber commercialized sporting event that has no real impact on their lives than exercising their right to vote.

I really wish voting was obligatory here like it is in Australia and Belgium.


it can be, however there would be no conservative elected ever again - voter restrictions are in place to prevent this (this including the electoral college design)
r15mohd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 01:47 PM   #43
NumberSix
Big Booty Hoes!!
 
NumberSix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Internets
Posts: 26,589
Default Re: So First Take, NFL and other sporting platforms are now political too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
This must be about the fifth time you've told me nobody said something when they said it Word for Word.
I can't imagine that anybody actually believes that Trump supporters are going to "cripple" the NFL.

And this is bigger than Trump supporters. A new poll out today says that 58% of Americans think that NFL players should be required to stand for the flag and anthem. I think we both agree Trump supporters are not 58% of the country.

Will the NFL take a financial hit? Yes, I think so. Will it "cripple" the NFL? No, of course not.

I'd imagine the financial hit will be something like a 5% reduction in revenues. 5% might not sound like a big deal, but for an organization like the NFL that's revenues are about $13 billion, that's a loss of $650 million. Not "crippling" but that's a big loss.
NumberSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 01:58 PM   #44
r15mohd
College star
 
r15mohd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,013
Default Re: So First Take, NFL and other sporting platforms are now political too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberSix
I can't imagine that anybody actually believes that Trump supporters are going to "cripple" the NFL.

And this is bigger than Trump supporters. A new poll out today says that 58% of Americans think that NFL players should be required to stand for the flag and anthem. I think we both agree Trump supporters are not 58% of the country.

Will the NFL take a financial hit? Yes, I think so. Will it "cripple" the NFL? No, of course not.

I'd imagine the financial hit will be something like a 5% reduction in revenues. 5% might not sound like a big deal, but for an organization like the NFL that's revenues are about $13 billion, that's a loss of $650 million. Not "crippling" but that's a big loss.

those saying they will boycott are just on a temper tantrum...they'll be back buying more fan items to replace the ones theyve discarded, they'll tune on the TV to the games and all will be norm at little loss (if that).

NFL is too big to be taken down, and with the owners siding with the players on this, they'll figure ways to address and resolve a complete protest - though some will still protest in other ways for whatever is implemented.
r15mohd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 04:33 PM   #45
bladefd
College superstar
 
bladefd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,814
Default Re: So First Take, NFL and other sporting platforms are now political too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by poido123
This will only cripple the NBA and NFL viwership, Trump fans will simply boycott games and buying merchandise.

I don't expect that to ever happen, but that's fine if it does. They don't have to watch any sport if they do choose. They will just miss the thrill of sports as the rest of us will continue to sit back and enjoy some sports and a beer/pepsi. Good with me.
bladefd is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:40 AM.




NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
Search Site

FOLLOW US
Twitter
Facebook
















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy