Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-27-2017, 04:38 PM   #46
bladefd
College superstar

Default Re: So First Take, NFL and other sporting platforms are now political too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK2K
Leftists: We are protesting during the anthem to raise awareness!

Also leftists: Trump shouldn't be commenting on our protests!

Didn't you say you had no issue with the kneeling/protest? Every thread I look through, you are b!tching and moaning about it.

Last edited by bladefd : 09-27-2017 at 05:31 PM.
bladefd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 04:42 PM   #47
ArbitraryWater
... on a leash

Default Re: So First Take, NFL and other sporting platforms are now political too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFonzworth
Well, they cover sports... When politics are in sports, they naturally cover politics as well... Shouldn't be that hard to understand. It's always been this way.

ArbitraryWater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 05:00 PM   #48
bladefd
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
This protest certainly won't do anything. Cops don't shoot black people because they are evil for the most part. Cops are more prone to be afraid of black people for a long list of reasons. You can't protest away fear especially when so many of the protests themselves end up violent. This one in particular isnt but generally speaking.....it happens. A cop is just more likely to see me as a threat to his life than a little white guy. It may or may not be true but it isn't something you diminish through protests. Maybe with enough public pressure you could get charges brought more often and maybe an extra conviction or two but you can't change the problem itself.

The problem is more prejudice than out right racism because even black cops would fear an average black male more than the average white male.

And you're never going to get cops to admit to being ******* either. But that really is the root of the problem. Fear. There are a few of them who are just jackasses who claim they were afraid when they were really just trigger-happy. That's human nature. That's giving a douche bag a badge and a gun. There are way too many cops to not have a few of those just off the numbers.

But fundamentally this is a problem of fear. And you can't protest it away

You hit it right on the nail.

A lot of it has to do with stereotypes, and it's not going away anytime soon. To use as an example, my family is fairly open-minded when it comes to respecting people of different culture, religion, race, etc but they get bit cautious if a person with dark skin stops to ask directions (stereotype of a thug). More so than a white guy. Now if it was white guy with tattoos everywhere (stereotype of a skinhead) or mohawk haircut (out of control crazy guy stereotype) or long hair guy wearing dark clothes + eye shade (druggie stereotype) or some guy wearing multiple gold chains on neck (gangster), they would get cautious too. These are just based on stereotypes we tend to have.

Protest won't stop that and neither will comments like from Trump. We saw protests start to fade slowly this season then Trump feeds the fire last week, restarting what was slowly beginning to fade. Now we will go through this even more every week because the protests have skyrocketed since Friday comments. It is just a bad timing when we should be coming together rather than dividing further. Trump is absolutely a divisive individual and not helping the issue whatsoever..
bladefd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 05:14 PM   #49
Hawker
Repeal FATCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladefd
You hit it right on the nail.

A lot of it has to do with stereotypes, and it's not going away anytime soon. To use as an example, my family is fairly open-minded when it comes to respecting people of different culture, religion, race, etc but they get bit cautious if a person with dark skin stops to ask directions (stereotype of a thug). More so than a white guy. Now if it was white guy with tattoos everywhere (stereotype of a skinhead) or mohawk haircut (out of control crazy guy stereotype) or long hair guy wearing dark clothes + eye shade (druggie stereotype) or some guy wearing multiple gold chains on neck (gangster), they would get cautious too. These are just based on stereotypes we tend to have.

Protest won't stop that and neither will comments like from Trump. We saw protests start to fade slowly this season then Trump feeds the fire last week, restarting what was slowly beginning to fade. Now we will go through this even more every week because the protests have skyrocketed since Friday comments. It is just a bad timing when we should be coming together rather than dividing further. Trump is absolutely a divisive individual and not helping the issue whatsoever..

Pattern recognition is a natural human instinct. You can't train "cognitive bias" out of people which is hard for some to admit.
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 07:32 AM   #50
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Some of it really is the system though. The cop I know best(I hesitate to call him a friend....even though he grew up near me and came to my house to hang out now and then).....

He flat out told us hes taught to profile. They just don't mention race. When they do a program called "Rolling thunder" around here that is designed to get drugs off the street and pull over drivers who are unsafe? He says they are given all kinds of directives that pretty much mean pull over young black people. How he put it was....describing hairstyles. Certain clothes. Some kinds of cars. Pretty much...if you have dreads, a tshirt, and rims.....cops are gonna pull you over. They flat out told him to do it. And he wasn't against it because as he put it...."Profiling works". They are looking for criminals and people with outstanding warrants. Pulling over young black people for infractions they normally wouldn't....gets that done.

He is black....but hes a gun nut, Trump voting, violent, former gang banging, trigger happy cop who only got into it to get away with violence so....we don't tend to see eye to eye.

You should see his hypocritical ass online talking about liberal tears over Trump. This guy once pulled a gun on my friend and his sister and law at a cookout....I know for a fact he was a drug dealer....and I know for a fact he sells police ammo from target practice illegally on the side.

Hes pretty much a scumbag....but runs the "Thin blue line" shit into the ground.

Guys like him...and other cops ive known...are why I don't respect anyone just because they happen to be a cop.

A lot of the claims of corrupt police and brutality are straight up facts. And they DO profile.

It isn't all fear....its them being taught that black people are criminals. It changes how they see things and react.

So it is a somewhat racist system....but I'm not sure what you do about it.

If your job is to find drugs....isn't it common sense to pull over black 20 somethings with dreads?

Sucks but you cant argue the logic.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 07:42 AM   #51
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

This is operation rolling thunder:

Quote:
Operation Rolling Thunder results in hundreds of traffic tickets, 36 arrests

Posted: Apr 29, 2016 7:43 AM EDT

Updated: May 27, 2016 10:49 AM EDT

By Dal Kalsi

Connect

Sheriff Chuck Wright speaks about Rolling Thunder results (FOX Carolina)
Sheriff Chuck Wright speaks about Rolling Thunder results (FOX Carolina)

Items seized in Operation Rolling Thunder (FOX Carolina)
Items seized in Operation Rolling Thunder (FOX Carolina)

Carlton Staggs (File)
Carlton Staggs (File)

Breakdown of the Rolling Thunder results (Courtesy: Spartanburg Co. Sheriff's Office)
Breakdown of the Rolling Thunder results (Courtesy: Spartanburg Co. Sheriff's Office)

SPARTANBURG, SC (FOX Carolina) -
More than 30 people were arrested and more than 120 pounds of illegal drugs were taken off the streets during the 2016 Operation Rolling Thunder along I-85 in Spartanburg County, according to figures released by the Spartanburg County Sheriff’s Office on Friday.

Each year, law enforcement officers gather from agencies across the state gather for a week-long traffic enforcement blitz.

This year’s operation resulted a total of 1,212 traffic cases, 30 criminal cases, and 36 arrests. 15 of those arrests were on felony charges and three were fugitive arrests.

The most notable arrest was that of Carlton Staggs, a 24-year-old Greenville man who was charged with trafficking cocaine and possession of a weapon.

Deputies said a traffic stop led them to a home near Woodland Heights Elementary School. Deputies entered the home after obtaining a warrant and said they found cash and an arsenal of weapons.

Staggs was out on bond at the time for attempted murder, assault, reckless driving and other charges stemming from a 2014 incident in which Staggs was accused of nearly hitting two pedestrians before driving a car toward Greenville police officers, prompting them to open fire. The officers were investigating a narcotics complaint.

Staggs criminal records includes several drug trafficking and possession charges, assault charges, indecent exposure and several misdemeanors.

PHOTOS: Drugs, guns and other items seized.

Deputies also seized more than 122 pounds of marijuana, more than a quarter-pound of methamphetamine, and $41,000 during the enforcement campaign.

Weapons, phones, untaxed cigarettes and other items were also seized during the stops.

Hundreds of tickets were written, citing drivers for speeding, following too closely, improper lane changes, driving left of center, and several other traffic infractions.

Sheriff Chuck Wright said he hopes the results will help assure the community that deputies are working tirelessly to keep the area safe.

“We’re trying our best and we will not quit,” Wright said.

They do it around the same time most years and if you know someone you can get a tip off.

I pretty much know not to drive my Jaguar or other somewhat nice cars that week or two. I drive a 99 Towncar I got my mom years ago. Its just not worth the hassle.

I got pulled over a bunch of times one month and didn't know why till he explained it. At the time I drove a newish Cadillac and I was in my old neighborhood a lot. My grandma lives there. So I'm coming out of a "bad" area....black...in a nice car. They were pretty much told to search guys like me.

I try not to take it personal....but it is annoying.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:18 AM   #52
Dresta
A humble prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker
Pattern recognition is a natural human instinct. You can't train "cognitive bias" out of people which is hard for some to admit.
Survival instinct + pattern recognition = extra cautious and worried when involved in a confrontation with a young black male.

It's pretty obvious, and also completely reasonable.

America's cops are more prone to shoot than those in many western nations, sure, but no other western nation has cities with some of the highest homicide rates in the entire world.

A lot of this stuff is typically juvenile wishing the world was a fairer and nicer place, i.e. thoughtless utopianism--but life has never been fair or nice, and never can be on its own--its internal logic makes such a thing impossible. Struggle is the very basis of life; if we don't have it then we create our own (e.g. depression, anxiety, drug-abuse, etc.); the point is to utilise such things to build character, but too many people are busying themselves forgetting the realities of life in vapid attempts to "have fun" (which in turn leads to a completely warped sense of reality).
Dresta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 08:47 AM   #53
Terahite
Original Triggerist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpols
tio that is not cierto. Black athletes have been protesting since the 60s (and before). Ever heard of kareem abdul jabbar or muhammad Ali? They literally changed their names in protest lol and used to go on TV for demonstrations with a bunch of other athletes. You seriously have NO clue what youre talkin about tio....

Muhammad Ali also despised liberal faggots like you. That is all.
Terahite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 04:13 PM   #54
Dizzle-2k7
Go Spurs Go

never forget kblaze endorsed and campaigned for hillary and obama... kblaze endorsed and campaigned for many illegal wars, endless spying, debt, and suffering
Dizzle-2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 04:43 PM   #55
STATUTORY
Bear Chested Da Brawn

Trump straight up DESTROYING the nfl for not allowing him to own a team. THis is some ALPHA shit right here
STATUTORY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 05:12 PM   #56
NumberSix
Big Booty Hoes!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUTORY
Trump straight up DESTROYING the nfl for not allowing him to own a team. THis is some ALPHA shit right here
I don't think that's what's happening here. I think many people are trying to over analyze why he's doing this. I think it's pretty simple. He's the president. I think he sees it as his duty to defend America.
NumberSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 05:25 PM   #57
Patrick Chewing
O.G. Shot Caller

I want to murder Shannon Sharpe.
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 08:42 PM   #58
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzle-2k7
never forget kblaze endorsed and campaigned for hillary and obama... kblaze endorsed and campaigned for many illegal wars, endless spying, debt, and suffering

Considering that you once told me that I said LeBron was better than Jordan when nobody has even seen me say he's better than bird i'm going to go on in this regard you're supposed memories of what I said. I don't believe you could find much of anything I've ever said about Hillary one way or the other. Far as endorsing and campaigning for Obama? What does that even mean? That I voted for him?
Old 09-29-2017, 09:03 PM   #59
RRR3
Youth is Wasted...

Kblaze and r15mohd are Trumptards' worst nightmare lmao

Keep up the good work guys
RRR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: